It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weird Weather Watch 2007

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
DSO

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Might as well start this thread up, in light of what has been happening around the world. Its going to be a busy year.

Please post any out of the ordinary weather events and observations here.

Here are a few stories

Canada:

Canada's typically harsh winter weather continued to spare most of the country over the weekend as mild conditions prevailed instead of the snow and deep freeze many would expect at the start of January.

And while many cheerfully enjoyed the unseasonal treat, others pondered what it all means for Canada's national identity.

LINK

Vancouverites spent their Saturday in what is becoming a familiar ritual: Tallying up the damage from a powerful storm.
Stanley Park, the city's crown jewel, had more trees knocked down by Friday night's windstorm.

While about one dozen were removed from roadways, "there could be very many more that came down in the centre of the park, and we just haven't had an opportunity to determine the damage at this point," Ian Robertson, chair of the Vancouver Park Board, told CTV Vancouver.

About three weeks ago, the park lost up to 3,000 trees from a vicious windstorm (there are an estimated one million trees in the 400-hectare park). Some areas of the park looked like loggers had clear-cut them.

LINK

USA:

Albany International Airport hit 71 degrees, according to the National Weather Service. The temperature at Logan International Airport in Boston, Massachusetts, was 69 degrees at about 2:30 p.m. In New Jersey, records set in 1950 were broken in Newark, Trenton and Atlantic City.

LINK

Snow-weary Colorado was hammered with its third snowstorm in as many weeks, complicating recovery efforts from back-to-back blizzards and raising fears that livestock losses would keep mounting.

LINK

Another Pacific storm was expected to bring heavy rain and high-elevation snow to the Cascades on Sunday, while the East Coast was forecast to cool off after record-setting temperatures.

LINK

[edit on 7-1-2007 by DSO]

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 05:45 PM
link   
It was 83 *F here in Tampa, FL USA (Jan 7th, 07).
It's usually in the 50's sometimes dipping into the 20s in the mornings and night....Why is it so damned hot around the world?!

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 06:52 PM
link   
It was 71 degrees in Boston and 69 on Cape Cod all week...If this isnt a sign of the end i dont know what is.

I dont like this. Its worrisome and although my gas and oil bill is less, it gives me the creeps.

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 02:09 AM
link   
And I like how the weather guys explain it with such calm. They make you feel the weather is no big deal. "Just El Nino. Oh, the jet stream is just way up north. That darn jet stream, he's so silly sometimes."

I would go out and plant some tomatoes, but they'll get frosted on as soon as I do that, and then it will warm up enough to accellerate the rotting of the dead plant, only to go into a 24 hour deep freeze, followed by a balmy 70 degree day, followed by Summer thunderstorms, with snow at night.

Troy

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 02:43 AM
link   
So....

You guys feeling it to huh?

Im in england, and every bone in my body recognises that it shouldn't be this hot.

Its 15 degrees C, the squirrels are mating, baby squirrels are STILL being born....(i feed them regularly in my garden so its VERY easy to spot new ones). The trees and flowers are budding like its early spring, Birds are nesting. Some birds that follow the warmer weathers are apparently plotting up here because its WARM enough.

BEES and WASPS are flying around, and i ain't NEVER seen that before, not like this.

Seriously, whats happening, im thinking its pretty strange around here, and then i read that you guys are feeling it too.

This is a DAMN quick change where temperature is concerned.

I believe that there IS NO turming back, we'll just have to ride this one out. They keep going on about us doing our bit for the enviroment, and whilst that is an indisputable necessity, I think its being used to detract the people from whats REALLY going on......THE SOLAR SYSTEM (not just us) IS WARMING UP, AND THERE'S NOT A WHOLE LOT WE CAN DO ABOUT IT!!

imagine, the people would REALLY panic (depending on mindset) if they new that things really ARE outside of our influence

SOLAR WARMING

DSO

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Saw something strange today, Canadian Geese flying north. This usually happens in spring, not the middle of January.

Anyways, despite that, we've been exprenceing one of the most normal winters in quite a while here in alberta. Snow, cold snaps, and typical near normal tempuratures. Only thing strange is a near constant chinook going on over the past few weeks, due to the lows hitting the BC and NW US coast.

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 04:56 PM
link   
its 5 degrees above average at least here in the netherlands. I have never had such a warm january.

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 05:33 PM
link   
I'm in England and I too can't believe how warm it is.. I've just come home from playing football (soccer) and have been warm at 10pm in shorts and t-shirt.. I've played on cooler nights in May in previous years.. Was looking forward to taking my kids sledgeing this year.. Where's the snow??

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Just moved back to washington state and they have been having lots of
high speed winds west of seattle and changes in the climate. it also was the warmest summer they had last year what i here from the locals.... seems kinda weird they would have lots of high speed winds that they never had before.

DSO

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Very interesting. We had our first near blizzard in mabey 5-10 years here in alberta. Nothing too major, however these used to be commonplace on the prairies through much of the 20th century.

Heres the story on it:

Environment Canada's Weather Office has issued a wind chill warning, noting that temperatures as low as minus 35 Celsius and winds of 15 to 20 km/h are producing wind chills in the minus 40 to minus 45 range.

"Frostbite is possible within 10 minutes at these values," the Office says.

LINK

Here are a few strange weather articles from the US and Around the world:

Cold Weather Threatens Citrus Crop

A cold snap predicted in several western states this weekend is expected to lower temperatures in California to the teens, worrying farmers with a citrus crop still hanging on trees.

In the San Joaquin Valley, growers in the middle of the citrus season are firing up huge fans to circulate warm air in the fields and are planning all-night vigils to monitor the health of nearly $1 billion worth of oranges, tangerines and lemons.

LINK

Ice storm coating Midwest

Freezing rain coated roads, runways and power lines across the nation's midsection Friday, threatening to cut off electricity and shut down travel for days.

At least four deaths have been blamed on the storm, some schools closed early Friday, and dozens of flights were delayed.

"It could definitely be a paralyzing storm. This is going to be a long-term event," said Max Blood, a senior forecaster with the National Weather Service in Tulsa, where at least two airlines, Southwest and Atlantic Southeast, canceled all afternoon flights.
LINK

-DSO

[edit on 12-1-2007 by DSO]

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 02:07 AM
link   
The New York Times reported on January 12th, 1940: in Berlin four degrees below zero Fahrenheit; in Romania (Bukovina province) 40 degrees below F.; in Bulgaria ‘the worst cold in the memory of living persons’; the Danube river was frozen over for most of its length; and several persons froze to death in Macedonia.
January 12th, 2007, the temperatures are: Berlin 47º/44ºF, Romania (Bucharest) 49º/32ºF, Bulgaria (Sofia) 55º/34ºF, Macedonia (Skopje) 42º/26ºF.

This is global warming in numbers! I got the first data from www.1ocean-1climate.com....

[edit on 13-1-2007 by adriannem]

[edit on 13-1-2007 by adriannem]

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 06:29 AM
link   
I live in So California,we had snow flurrys until 11 yesterday,and freeze warnings today,I think last weekend it was in the high 80's,don't like the weather here? wait a few days

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 07:31 AM
link   
In north of Italy It seems autumn, in other day it seems spring. I don't kown in south now, but until january 1th the people were soaking up the sun and swimming at seaside.

Actually I'm little worried about this strange weather, but I can't do anything. So I hope my country becomes like Barbados, 27°C avarage all year.

Ciao,

Andala

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Los Angeles area: very cold, will set records apparently. The whole southern California region is under a freeze warning, and the Governator has authorized emergency shelters for those in need of heat.

I have a decent heater - floor furnace, nothing fancy. But I have a small place, and I've always been able to heat my home relatively well. Not so right now. The sun went down, the temps fell, and I have the heater cranked...and I'm putting on a sweater over my sweats. My animals, never cuddlers, are piled on the sofa because they're cold - and yes, laying snuggled with each other.

Dunno what's going on - as another poster said, last week I was driving my convertible with the top down. Tonight I am thinking about what laundry I can do so I can run the dryer and get extra heat in here.

Regards-
Aimless

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 07:39 PM
link   
32-39 degrees F Highs from now til Wednesday Jan 17 2007
28-32 Lows
Freezing Rain/Sleet

This is after several days of 60s-to 80s last week

Central Tx

posted on Jan, 14 2007 @ 03:14 AM
link   
We've flipped again from freezing nights to 50 degree nights. The back in forth is so annoying sometimes.

Troy

posted on Jan, 14 2007 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I've seen on the news that in Norway there is severe storm, many houses without power.
I found some more info from Havaria

Winds of up to hurricane force lashed the coast of Western and Southern Norway in the early hours of Sunday morning. Train services to Sweden were stopped. Warning of extreme weather conditions had been issued for the coastal districts, and the police had asked people along the coast in Rogaland, Hordaland and Sogn og Fjordane counties to stay indoors during the night.

Is that normal in that area?

I'm currently in Poland and here was 6 C and heavy winds as well
This is not, what I would call normal condition.

Is here somebody from Norway?

DSO

posted on Jan, 14 2007 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I just heard about that storm in Scandinavia. From what i've heard close to 100K people are without power. I'll ask my freind who lives in norway about it.

Heres a link to the story: LINK

And a story about floods in SE Asia

Link

DSO

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Looks like winter finally came to Eastern North America.

Ice storm slams N.E. after leaving Oklahoma, Missouri in dark

A storm blamed for at least 39 deaths in six states spread into the Northeast on Monday, coating trees, power lines and roads with a shell of ice up to a half-inch thick and knocking out power to more than half a million homes and businesses.

Slick roads disrupted Martin Luther King Jr. holiday observances from Albany, New York, to Fort Worth and Austin, Texas, where officials also canceled Gov. Rick Perry's inauguration parade on Tuesday in anticipation of another round of ice.

The weight of the ice snapped tree limbs and took down power lines, knocking out electricity to nearly 70,000 customers in New York state and New Hampshire.
LINK

Fierce winter weather blows into Ontario, Quebec

Freezing rain has caused hundreds of road accidents in southern Ontario, one involving a truck loaded with hazardous liquid oxygen. The same weather system is also moving east, dumping snow on much of Quebec and the Maritimes.

With temperatures falling, the ice pellets are expected to turn to snow later in the day -- as much as 10 centimetres in some areas.

The icy conditions slowed morning rush-hour traffic to a crawl in many parts of the Toronto area, with even slow-moving cars sliding out of control on smaller highways.
LINK

And heres a few from around the world.

Severe storms hit southern Sweden

Severe storms have battered southern Sweden, killing at least three people, disrupting transport and leaving about 270,000 homes without electricity.
The victims - who included a nine-year-old boy - were all struck by falling trees.

Winds on the south-west coast reached speeds of nearly 150km/h (93mph) on Sunday but have since slackened.
LINK

Malaysia floods test aid efforts

Johor has been hit by floods for a second time in a month
Relief centres in southern Malaysia are reported to be bursting at the seams with more than 100,000 people evacuated from their homes after heavy flooding.
LINK

Thats all i could find with the time i had today. I'm wondering if Africa and South America have been experencing any strange weather. I wasn't able to find anything in my quick search, but considering how things have been going globally i would not be suprised.

Keep the comments and eye witness reports coming in, there more important then news stories.

posted on Jan, 16 2007 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Is it just me, or are there more storms with freaky winds in them?

We are still warm here, it's in the 50s right now and it's night. Today it was in the 60s.

Troy

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join