It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weird Weather Watch 2007

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:
DSO

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Enterprise Twister

ENTERPRISE, Alabama (CNN) -- President Bush arrived Saturday in storm-battered Enterprise, Alabama, where nine people -- including eight high-schoolers -- were killed when tornadoes ripped through the town of 20,000.

He told Gov. Bob Riley and Mayor Kenneth Boswell that Coffee County, where Enterprise is located, had been declared "a major disaster area." That designation means extra federal dollars for recovery.

In all, the storms killed 20 people: 10 in Alabama, nine in Georgia and a 7-year-old girl in Missouri.CNN Storm Map

LINK

Storms ravage USA

Powerful thunderstorms roared through the US states of Alabama, Missouri and Georgia on Thursday night. At least 17 people have been killed in Alabama and Georgia and several more injured. The National Weather Service issued a tornado warning and schools have been closed.

Many of the victims had taken shelter in a high school that collapsed in southern Alabama. Several people died in the town of Enterprise, where the school building was torn open by the twister. Bob Phares, with the Enterprise High School district asked for prayers and said ‘to my knowledge we have not had a storm this severe for many decades’

LINK

Flooding in Indonesia and Argentina

The heavy rains also caused flooding and washed away dozens of homes in six hilly districts in East Nusa Tenggara province.

Roads made inaccessible after a three-day deluge were complicating rescue operations in the affected areas.

Meanwhile parts of Argentina are under water after sudden intense rainfalls hit several regions of the country.

In the northern city of Resistencia in the province of Chaco, the storms broke early on Friday pouring down eighty millimetres (3 inches) of rain in a few short hours.

Local residents were caught off guard and had to wade through the knee high waters and some eighty families had to be evacuated form their homes.

These freak storms have struck other parts of Argentina in recent weeks, including the capital Buenos Aires. They are blamed on the El Nino weather phenomenon which is well know for causing flooding in Peru and Bolivia.
LINK

Summer storm leaves a wintry scene in Canberra

Severe thunderstorms have been affecting parts of southeast Australia over the last few days bringing flash floods and with damaging hail and wind. One particular violent hailstorm left a strange wintry scene in parts of Canberra’s central business district on Wednesday, leaving some parts under a metre-deep layer of ice.

Although summer storms are not unusual in this part of Australia, the Australian bureau of Meteorology said that Canberra had already set a new record for the most thunderstorms recorded in a single month. Up to Wednesday’s storm it had already reported 14 so far in February. One resident said he had never seen hail accumulating this high before.
LINK

Snowstorm blows through Quebec, hits East Coast

Western regions of the Maritimes are already feeling the effects of a deadly snowstorm that wreaked havoc in parts of southern Ontario yesterday.

The snow has begun to fall in parts of New Brunswick as other areas of Atlantic Canada brace for an evening of wild weather.

Up to 20 centimetres of snow are expected in some areas around the Maritimes.

LINK

posted on Mar, 14 2007 @ 01:05 PM
link   
This couple days is pretty weird...

I just looked at the temp. outside and it is 78 degrees, but in 2 days there is supposed to be snow.

posted on Mar, 15 2007 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Here's some snow for you. Jordan, Middle-east!

Snow shuts schools in Jordan

March 15, 2007

Heavy snow fell on the Jordanian capital Thursday, forcing a closure of schools and several roads in Amman and other parts of the country.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Not that it's weird as such, just bad, but there is loads of hail/snow today in Sheffield. There was a lot yesterday too, but I mostly noticed it in the Yorkshire Dales, where I was expecting it, blizzard conditions, and I was out in it (which made me notice it considerably).

Monday 19 March WEATHER WARNING In Northern Scotland and the Northern Isles, frequent heavy snow showers will give accumulations of 2-5cm generally and up to 10cm on high ground overnight and into Monday morning. Strong northerly winds may lead to drifting and temporary blizzard conditions. Valid until 2007-03-20 1000GMT.

Monday 19 March FLOOD WARNING There are 5 flood warnings in force in the United Kingdom. Anglia (1) Northeast (3) Scotland (1) Further updates will appear here.
BBC website

still I'm hardly in Scotland...

posted on Apr, 15 2007 @ 12:29 AM
link   
At least 35 died in Thailand flash floods.

Bangkok's Independent Newspaper: 35 bodies found in waterfall tragedy in Trang

Many other people both tourists and local people are still missing, police said

posted on Apr, 15 2007 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Heya... I guess my weather kinda falls the other way than most here
The thing is, I can't remember last time it was like this.

At the moment we have two days with daytime temperatures just around 20 degrees Celcius. Now that might not seem that hot depending where you are from, but in a descent or "normal" summer (talking july here) we would have about 25 degrees celcius. So we are 5 degrees from normal summer time in mid spring...
Im anxious to see how hot it will become in july then.

Reports state that this unusual warm winter has generated a moscito year. I got my first sting 2 weeks ago :S

So... if you are wondering why you have all that snow and hail... thx for taking ours

posted on Apr, 15 2007 @ 04:15 AM
link   
Unusually cold temperatures here...feels like winter is coming instead of spring

DSO

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Here are a few recent weather stories:

Flash floods hit Sydney

Severe thunderstorms caused flash flooding across parts of eastern Sydney on Sunday night as torrential rain and hail overwhelmed city streets, trapping cars.

Nearly 100mm (3.9 inches) of rain fell during the storm, which lasted only a few hours. This was almost three quarters of the total rainfall which is usually expected throughout the month of April.
LINK

USA Plains ravaged by violent storms

Severe storms and tornadoes have raged through parts of the mid west USA injuring several and leaving a trail of destruction.

A line of powerful thunderstorms began developing on Friday stretching from Texas through Kansas and up into parts of Nebraska. Several people were injured in western Nebraska late on Friday, as a tornado ripped up farms and power lines, spreadng debris along a half-mile wide path.
LINK

Hailstorm in Kuwait
Kuwait, one of the driest countries in the world, is still recovering from an astonishing bout of torrential rain, squally winds and giant hailstones which battered this desert state in recent days.

Twice as much rain fell on Wednesday than the average level for the whole of the year. The rainfall totals were remarkable and probably unprecedented, with Kuwait airport reporting 302mm (11.9 ins) and Kuwait City 258mm (10.2 ins) of rain in 30 hours up to 9am local time on Thursday. The annual average rainfall varies from 750-150mm (6 ins) a year across the country
LINK

[edit on 23-4-2007 by DSO]

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Once again the weather is behaving nicely for us europeans...

My m8 just gave me a call and before he got off he told me he had just seen a prognosis for this weekend. According to one of the posible outcomes of weekend weather we could be facing temps near 30 degree celc. in Denmark
This ofcourse is only if the current high pressure gets a boost the next couple of days. That has got to be a record.

Normal temps for july are around or just above 30 degrees so I'm excited to see what july will bring, might just be necessary to camp out at the beach this summer

DSO

posted on Jun, 6 2007 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Strange storm last night here in calgary (and across alberta)

The storm started out as usual coming off the foothills of the rockies, crossing into south calgary. However it then took a turn northward and intesified rapidly.

The lighting was unbelivable, with at times up to 10 strikes per minute, which is very unusual here (we ussually see less then 3 per minute during t-storms). Also 72 mm (~3inches) of rain fell at the airport in a few short hours. Numerous roads are closed and several houses caught fire due to lightning strikes.

Near edmonton, there were unconfirmed reports of a tornado. They also expereinced heavy downpours, hail, and damaging winds. After the storm left edmonton, it moved SW TOWARDS the mountains, which i've never seen before.

And now its raining again, with more possible flooding.

-DSO

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Yesterday it seemed like the whole sky was rumbling with thunder just on and on it was weird all right. It did hail but it was small so I didn't worry too much.

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Places in central Norway that had record high temperatures of +27C last week had 5.5 cm of snowfall last night. Next week it should be back to mid twenties.

aftenposten.no - English transelation

Weird.

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 07:31 PM
link   
I just got back from a trip to Nashville, Tenn. Apparently there is a drought going on. The grass looks quite dry. Is this state wide?

Southwestern Virginia is doing fair as far as rain. Isn't some of the rain moving through Tenn on its way here?

Troy

posted on Jun, 18 2007 @ 12:58 AM
link   
yes, tennessee is having an awful drought my grass is dead and we have not had any rain in over three weeks, crops are failing and there is no rain in sight as far as the national radar goes anyway.

the weird spring freeze we had killed all of the vegitation off of the trees and it took weeks for the the leaves to grow back in, some only grew half way back, a co-workers grandfather who is in his 90's said that as far back as he can remember there has never been a freeze in this area that has killed the tree foilage back like this past spring.

and now with this drought going on people are very worried that they wont get a harvest from their crops & gardens, in my area people all use septic tanks and the only green grass is where the field lines from the septic tanks keeps the grass green.

DSO

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 01:24 PM
link   
There were major tornados in Manitoba, Canada, including and F4. While its not unusual to have tornados on the praries, having one this strong is.

LINK >>> ctv.ca

Also reports of flooding in Pakistan were on the news this morning
(link needed)

Heat wave in greece, with temperatures near 40C.
LINK >>> bbc.co.uk

Comments and Eyewitness reports are welcome and apreciated.

-DSO

[edit on 24-6-2007 by DSO]

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I hope you guys get some rain soon.

I did say my area is doing fair with rain, but it's not enough. We had a short thunderstorm, with heavy rain and some hail today. Grass is looking dry in areas. I'm hoping to see more thunderstorms fire up, it's going to be hot next week. As long as they don't get really violent, they can be beneficial.

Troy

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Hi, all.

Well, here in the UK we're still getting the huge amounts of rain that has been the cause of flooding right across the country when this: www.guardian.co.uk... was written.

Boscastle has flooded again, despite experts at the time saying it was a once in a century event, and many other areas are still at risk. It's normal for it to p*ss down for Glastonbury weekend, but this is ridiculous. It has to have been the wettest spring for a looooong time.

I'm on the river Crouch, to the north of the Thames estuary, and we got hit the night before last with the strangest thunder storm I have seen. The lightning was extreme, to say the least, more characteristic of the large storm systems that build up in the central states of the U.S. The accompanying thunder-claps carried on far longer than we are used to here. It seemed to go from horizon to horizon, but that's a distance of around 50 miles. Is that possible? The time delay suggested that we were quite far away from the larger ones, so it was certainly not right on top of us.

Wow, BBC News 24 has just shown the weather forcast. More severe weather warnings with some places likely to get 100mm (about 4") of rain today. Bollocks.

If we get another hose-pipe ban in the South East, I will cry! No, wait, I don't think it actually affects marinas, but it is still a (rather unfunny) joke.

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 09:16 AM
link   
UK update...

More heavy rain and flooding. We have just had the wettest day for fifty years. Tragically a young man has died while clearing a drain in Kingston upon Hull. Here is the story, as was just before the rescue efforts sadly failed.

news.bbc.co.uk...

More heavy rain is predicted for the next 24 hours, with 10cm of rain forcast again today. That's twice the average for the whole month of June in 24 hours.

Rivers across the Midlands and the northeast of the country are swollen, with some running 5m higher than normal.

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 01:59 PM
link   
More on the situation in the UK.

Helicopter rescues in Sheffield

RAF helicopters are trying to rescue dozens of people from buildings surrounded by rising flood waters in Sheffield - some of which are collapsing.

This is most certainly not common for Sheffield. Its about as far inland as you can get. This has been caused by heavy rain which has affected much of the UK for quite a prolonged period.

Personally, I've experienced a much colder June than I think i can ever remember. It feels more like autumn (fall) with strong cold winds, heavy rain and very little sun.

As Brits we love a good moan about the weather but at the moment, many of us have something to moan about.

With all these more frequent 'unusual' weather events, can anyone deny something is happening to our climate?

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Apparently, Bulgaria was hit by hurricane winds, "never seen before", a couple of days ago...

Hurricane Winds Hit Southern Bulgaria

29 June 2007

Hurricane winds, never seen before, hit Southern Bulgaria late on Thursday night, Darik News reported.

[---]

Now units of Civil Defence and the local electricity company are trying to bring things back to normal.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join