It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Future of Star Trek

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2007 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I've always wondered about upcoming films and series in the Star Trek franchise.

As for show ideas, I think Star Trek: Romulus, or Star Trek: Klingons would be interesting

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 03:10 PM
link   
There's a cool idea. A new franschise using the "villians" of the Star Trek Universe. That might breathe some new life into an admittedly tired franchise.

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I think the path is leading more towards prequel. I keep hearing things about Matt Damon as a young J.T. Kirk.

Nuthin's in concrete. But that's the scuttlebutt.

C

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Startrek.com is reporting that Abrams has a draft script that they're working on now.

Abrams: First Draft Done

J.J. Abrams said this week that a draft of the new Star Trek movie is done, and that some trimming to the script will soon ensue.

In an interview with Entertainment Weekly, Abrams was still mum on the details of the plot of the film currently referred to as "Star Trek XI." But he assured that it is designed for both established fans and newcomers to the franchise.

''On the one hand, for people who love Star Trek, the fix that they will get will be really satisfying,'' Abrams said. ''For people who've never seen it or know it vaguely, I think they will enjoy it equally, because the movie does not require you to know anything about Star Trek. I would actually prefer [that] people don't know the series, because I feel like they will come to it with an open mind.''

Abrams spoke to the magazine in New York last weekend while taking part in the New York Times Arts & Leisure Weekend.
www.startrek.com...

With a 2008 release date targeted they will have to start shooting this fairly soon.
I don't have a link for the Matt Damon interview, but he did mention a few weeks ago that he was on board as a young Kirk.

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 11:46 AM
link   
If they want to revive the series, they have to introduce a new war.. One that really puts the federation to its knees, but doesn't involve the Borg.

The could do some outstanding episodes - Just look at Battlestar Galactica.

posted on Apr, 1 2007 @ 02:48 AM
link   
Next years film will be the biggest trek film ever. I heard Nimoy and Shatner will appear with cameos.

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I'd really like to see a movie geared towards a klingon protagonist. Like a futuristic viking type of movie.

With a star trek series i always thought they could go 2 ways... one, where its further in the future, enemies of the past seem like nothin and now they face higher-dimensional beings or something crazy that makes you question your very beliefs. They never really touched on where humans stood on a spiritual level, I think because they were trying to impy equality and they didn't want to offend. It bothered me of their take on life and death, i for one would like to see a more spiritually advanced human race.

Either that or.... you know, enterprise the series had some promise, the 1st season i thought i was pretty good. But you some things just kinda sucked, and the writing got a little dull I thought. Next gen was a different story every episode, the whole continuous story thing gets boring like in the later episodes of enterprise.

But what i was sayin, i wouldnt mind seeing some very tiny warp capable ships, landing on mars, seeing the first planet outside their solar system. Fighting wierd alien creaturs with machine guns, and just doing everything wrong possible to illustrate mankinds ignorance before the federation.

I think its the best sci-fi franchise, and thus must go on.

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 10:36 PM
link   
I've been watching Star Trek literally all my life. It holds several slots in my earliest memories.

But the last couple series were just so boring! It's been done. Over and over and over. The plots are tired, there's only so many times you can run into an alien race and have it seem unique.

The only way I'd be interested in watching a new series is if they did something absolutely completely differently. I would be glad to watch a spy version -- Star Fleet Intelligence, perhaps with a CSI and House edge to it. I cant' think of anything else they could do that they haven't already done into a rut as deep as the Grand Canyon.

posted on Jul, 15 2007 @ 07:32 AM
link   
I agree with you. I was always a fan of every series except Enterprise and DS9. I just, in the past 6 months, discovered Deep Space Nine, and I found it refreshingly new because it focused primarily on character development, and approached the whole "sci-fi exploring the human condition" thing from a personal perspective. I would love to see something on the order of a Federation Intelligence series, but I think the focus has to be on the people; we already have the pieces, and we already know how the setting works. Let's see it in action.

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I'd love to see a series set in the Klingon vantage point during the time of Kirk...that'd be interesting...

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
I'd love to see a series set in the Klingon vantage point during the time of Kirk...that'd be interesting...

TV series? It would have to be called Star Trek: Empire I've been thinking of this for a while but I think it would play better in the later Trek genre.

As to the movies, I'd like to see them play out TNG. Finish with what you started with................ Attack of the Q. I've even thought out a crude storyline.

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Major you are not a true trekkie if you say that trek is boring. None of it was except for Enterprise in it's last 2 seasons. So if 2 seasons were outdated out of all of about 28 seasons and 11 movies, then it isn't "logical" for you to say so.

Lol, I love all the treks, and am just starting to really get into Voyager and DS9. I was always into TOS and TNG and I'm exploring Enterprise now as well and find it to be just as ethical, morally rich and just as much integrity as any of the previous before them. DS9 had great ratings, I never liked the drama and soap opera approach to it as togestic says she enjoyed. But I realize it's a good series without the starships but speaks alot less about science and technobabble than the others. DS9 is more political and religious than other trek series.

Voyager is less classy than TNG and more comic bookish. It's the most technical and modern. Im really getting into the characters now and Seven and Doctor are phenomenal. The actors, Picardo and Ryan are brilliant!

But TNG is definatly the best! TOS just brings back memories and who can hate trippy set design, women walking around in short skirts and stockings, and a captain that was on '___' and "stimulants" all day. Spock is my all time favorite character. He is the ambassador, no question.

Bring on Christmas 2008 !!!

[edit on 7/19/2007 by StreetCorner Philosopher]

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 05:29 AM
link   
Im quite looking forward to the new movie as i habe been a trekkie for most of my life!
Yet i would like to see a trek movie about the Earth, Romulan war, i felt we didn't get to see enough of the romulans and i would like to get some more background on the conflict mentioned in the various series.

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Romulans were included in the last film. Have you seen Nemesis??

I think this next film will be a complete makover. The Enterprise will look the same, the logos are the same, the uniforms will change and the campy ness of star trek will all be eliminated. It will have a serious tone like battlestar galactica.

I just hope Vulcans and plenty of Vulcans are in the film. Besides Star Trek 5, I don't think Vulcans were ever a main part of a motion picture.

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 10:19 AM
link   
If going that route, I hope they at least remember to have SPACE BATTLES in the space tv show....versus West Wing in Space (my pet name for the new BSG)....

I personally tend to like my sci-fi a little campy, and not always so serious...

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 12:44 AM
link   
I loved the Original series. Doctor who is very campy, and it's a great show. I "THOUGHT" JJ Abrams would of added a dark tone and a military atmosphere in the Star Trek universe. BSG is why Enterprise failed. I asumed they would try to follow the dark and sexy, gritty formula in BSG. but I was WRONG!

This past week at the "Comic Con." in San Diego CAL. Paramount announced Zach Quinto and Leonard Nimoy will be cast as Spock in the upcoming film. They released some artwork including the official movie poster. The poster is the original logo from the original series. Abrams says that it will be for diehard fans and will include a sex appeal and campy tone. Soon they will announced the two actors that will play Kirk. Most likely William Shatner will be one of course, but an official contract is probably pending right now. Shatner must be breaking chops.

I saw some artwork too. The original Enterprise looks just like what it's creator imagined. The only difference is some cladding around the deflector dish and some red white and blue colors on the ship.

[edit on 7/30/2007 by StreetCorner Philosopher]

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Star Trek in the beginning was a story about the "Human

Condition"... Although it is set in the far future, and utilizes "people"

from across the universe...it is a tale of the "human heart...

In the future (of Star Trek)... as Man explores the galaxy, they should

remember "the ancient traditions of Earth"...

It will stand them in good stead....

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 03:20 AM
link   
I agree, all races in the original series resembled a type of human. I feel I am very much like a Vulcan. I am a bad liar, I am celebate, I deter over indulgence, am disciplined with money, and have a steady poker face on all the time. I laugh, but laugh within my mind without the physical giggling. Klingons are representing warriors. Romulans are masterminds, Andorians are schizophrenic types, Ferengi's are hustlers, Borg are UFO contactees, or abductees and implantees.

There is no way this Star Trek will be without the integrity of its past. No way will Paramount make that happen. If this next film is eye candy and heartless/mindless, I will never go to a hollywood movie again.

[edit on 8/2/2007 by StreetCorner Philosopher]

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 07:54 AM
link   
...I think Star trek is great! At best, it works on about 3 basic levels...

1. Sci Fi adventure

2. Allegories of < now >

3. Mythic iconoclasm

... So, if i use #3, then not only do the major races represent the obvious,
but also. more iconic ideas... Mythic ideas fom our collective unconscious and past...

Andorians= faries

Vulcan/Romulans = Elves

Klingons = Werewolves

Ferengi = Troll/dwarves

It is because Trek works on various levels that gives it a kind of "timelessness"...

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I don't see why they can't just continue going forward. set a new series after the Dominion war with a new bunch of characters with a new mission. It worked fine with DS9 and Voyager. Just come up with some new eniemies and try not to rehash old stories from the series before. Mabye try to show things a bit murkier, parody what is going on in our world today. It can be done with some financial backing a good team of writers and some decent enough unknown actors/actresses

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join