It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Terrorists brewing down under?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2007 @ 11:54 PM
link   
In Australia, we are yet to have a terrorist attack on home soil. (Knock on wood). Despite out stance with the war on terrorism, our links with the United States and our troops in Iraq, we are yet to experience anything on home soil.

However, the suspense is killing me.

Here is a question for all you experts.

Do you think there is a high chance of a terrorist act on our home soil? If so, why? If not, do you believe terrorists will not target Australians on home soil due to the fact that we are so isolated away from the rest of the world? But are we really as isolated away as we think?

From memory, undercover detectives had arrested a few many last year in Sydney's West for allegedly plotting a terrorist act in Sydney and Melbourne. Timing of these apparent events were unknown.

If we do have many terrorists brewing in Australia, then why have we not experienced an attack on home soil? Do you think that maybe Australia will live up to its name as the "lucky country" and will not experience any terrorists acts on home soil, or it is only a matter of time?

I'd be very interested to hear the opinions of others, especially anyone who isn't from Australia.

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 01:19 AM
link   
When I was but a youth

I learned an awful truth

that everything you say

today in radio and phone

winds through the secret Echelon

and with that my friend, you'll pay.

All communications are monitored, all systems are in check, Echelon and EchelonII and a few other whiz-kid toys are able to locate those planning terrorist activity. The only way to avoid it is to stay away from electronic communication, unusual banking habits and using hand signs.

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 01:36 AM
link   
There are many ways to avoid detection on the internet. The belief in the "infallible government surveillance machine" is truly misguided.

One way to avoid surveillance is to hide messages in plain sigiht.

For example, a message from Osama or one of his Lieutenants/Allies gets published through a variety of means(Discs + Word of Mouth, Internet sites, the evening news, darknets, etc).

The French Resistance in WW2 used to get coded information this way by listening to British radio weather forecasts.

Now apply that today with dozens of media formats and multiple protocols/platforms to distribute it with, it'd be nigh on impossible to catch them through electronic means.

The only way to truly eliminate that threat is to create a whole new internet that is restricted to America only and having the Internet made illegal in the USA. Rather Draconian, but it's the only sure fire way.

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 01:41 AM
link   
I tell ya, australia is ripe for an attack.
We are so open, and enjoy the outdoors the towns and cities.
There's barely any security around anything.
You could sneak onto 10 trains with bombs without being pickedu p by camera's in Perth... almost!

The hard thing about Australia is getting the explosives INTO the country.

being ' girt ' by sea, is a stupid f'n saying for an anthem.. but its our best protection.

Our shorelines are monitored pretty effectivley, and our airports are good too... there's so many limits on what u can buy, u need a permit, a letter of authorisation, a ticket, a certificate to pick up specific chemicals.

Australia's the ideal setting for an attack, it would just be hard to prep undetected.

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 01:43 AM
link   
I would think it would be easier to hit Australians where they are vulnerable, outside the country.

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 01:47 AM
link   
True, Bali rings to mind.
They got a few of them there!
Just a pitty the balinese are the ones that suffered the most.

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 02:24 AM
link   
"I would think it would be easier to hit Australians where they are vulnerable, outside the country. "

Hmm, have wondered this myself. Any pub, or any sporting event would be a sure fire mess with a few explosives here in OZ. A bunch of the same kind of fertiliser used to make bombs recently went missing here, and barely made the news - read the link on here last night....

Our coastline is massive, and I think hard to protect as a result, our proximity to large asian countries is close, yet no boom boom.

I hope this never happens ANYWHERE - but Im amazed that with all the resources we are told that JI, Al Q et al have at their disposal not one tiny boom? Nothing, like WMD, kids overboard and govt involvement in AWB....nothing, zero, no terrorists, nada....for YEARS now...surely a bunch of drunken boys could do a better job. God knows MOST Aussie kids blew a few things up, in the shed....

The US will hate me saying this, but, one attack on US soil, one in UK and zero here - the "war on terror" seems to be more about internal control of our communities, than a war (sorry I dont accept the "COW" mess in Iraq, as anything more than a war on civilians for monetary reasons, namely oil - it has nothing to do with terror, or WMD's or any of the total lies told by our respective governments).

I also dont believe for a second that "the powers that be" are keeping possible terror arrests quiet, if they really found anything concrete (like evidence) we would be hearing about what a grea job they are doing.

I dont think we will have one solid conviction for "home grown terrorism" - unless you count a little bible urination here or there. Kids stuff, really.....only the fundamentalists, or their political masters care about that, the rest of us just see "very naughty boys"....

Cronulla, and the deep signs of Australias ever-present racism, is far more of a worry.

I just dont think it would be THAT hard, if they really were out there and plotting....especially if the terrorists didnt give a hoot about personal survival.

There's no war here dude, but be careful getting a cab out of any city on any weekend....aussies will swing a punch at anything, for a taxi home.

I am more scared of bogans than terrorists.....

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 02:29 AM
link   
It's an interesting line in our Anthem. "Girt" by sea. But nothing is stopping the illegal transportation of guns and illegal drugs that are always getting imported from over-seas, and not being picked up before it gets here. (mostly from Asia)

If these types of things can slip past, wouldn't it be just as easy to import other elements and objects onto our shores?

Also, what types of things are needed to create these explosives anyway? Surely it's not rocket science, a few powerful chemicals and a few bomb plans right? What type of stuff would be NEEDED to make these objects? Don't we have those things here?

The scariest thing is, Agit8dChop is right - We are ripe for an attack. Such a large, open country, plenty of places to organise attacks, plenty of hot spots to attack, carefree people, hundreds of people in Sydney and Melbourne night clubs over the weekends...

While I do believe our secret intelligence is quite good, we still seem pretty vulnerable.

If terrorists can gain access to all the relevant materials (chemicals, explosives etc etc) is there anything else that's really stopping them from performing a major attack in Australia?

Or, is the only thing stopping them IS the lack of materials and the difficulty getting them here?

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Terrorists are a construct of governments to avail themselves of scapegoats to cover their lies and deception.

Pretty soon after governments keep blaming certain religious or cultural groups for acts against humanity, they do start to kill and act like terrorists.

Terrorist(s) and terrorism...these words and the concept they present are a powerful tool, and over used to good effect on the masses.

I really prefer to think that our governments are the terrorists.

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 02:39 AM
link   
...and maybe this is a beat up designed to enrich halliburton et al.....sure bali went off and it is a dangerous planet....but really.....is this a war?

Cos it still feels like summer to me....

I mean no disrespect to any here.....i just dont buy any of it at all....except for massive war profits (remember Mr Warbucks...then think about the name).

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 02:51 AM
link   
Sorry to double-post but I went looking for those stolen explosives:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

75 kgs of mine type explosives and a LOT of fertiliser went missing not long ago. Make a big bomb outta all that.

NYE saw hundreds of thousands of defenceless, drunk-as Aussies in massive crowds throughout the land.

No boom boom, are these terrorists lame, or what?

Such a priceless opportunity to really strike Australia.

No doubt the explosives will be used in a bank job, or to blow up empty tinnies in a quarry on a friday night.

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZenspiderCronulla, and the deep signs of Australias ever-present racism, is far more of a worry.

I just dont think it would be THAT hard, if they really were out there and plotting....especially if the terrorists didnt give a hoot about personal survival.

There's no war here dude, but be careful getting a cab out of any city on any weekend....aussies will swing a punch at anything, for a taxi home.

I am more scared of bogans than terrorists.....

Heh, you think like most Aussies do.
In 2001, NYE - Our government urged us NOT to celebrate NYE on Sydney harbour due to the danger of there being a terrorist attack. However, I went out there in 2001 and enjoyed every minute of it. Why? Because us Australians don't seemed worried about terrorism on our home soil.

All we seem to care about is beer and the ladies. And rightly so. Because "terrorism" is the act of terrorising a community by ones actions - And if you're not scared by it, then terrorists lose.

I'm certainly not afraid, however sitting on a packed train during peak hour in Sydney, sometimes its in the back of my mind, which made me think. Are we in any danger any time soon?

The point about Cronulla was an interesting one - Our biggest issue in Australia is probably the conflicts between different racial communities which has been brewing for a few years now. Most notably, the riots on Cronulla beach last year. That also got me thinking - This attack was against the the Lebanese, and middle easterners on our beach causing trouble for years.

Could that maybe spark a home grown attack in the future? When I say that, I mean by someone who is NOT linked to ANY terrorist group around the world. Plenty of countries experience this.

Still doesn't stop us Australians for living out every day life to the fullest, but I guess it's something to think about.

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 03:04 AM
link   
"I'm certainly not afraid, however sitting on a packed train during peak hour in Sydney, sometimes its in the back of my mind, which made me think. Are we in any danger any time soon?"

I was on a peak hour train home 2 months ago in brissy, and this Islamic dude was frantically writing the same sentence *over and over again in a note pad....pages and pages of the same sentence.

Lots of people were clearly scoping it out...it was unusual behaviour I guess. I was sitting right beside him, and asked if his work was a religious thing.

He said yes, smiled winningly, and carried on. Explained that it was part of the discipline of his religion.....

Truth to tell, a large part of me wanted to get OFF the train at the very next stop. I didnt, but it was palpable that people were frightened...sux huh?

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 03:07 AM
link   
I worked for a Federal Member of Parliament for a brief period last year - during this time he was chairman of the Foreign Affairs, Defence and Trade Committee.

They had a report tabled in Parliament that I got to read which outlined the possibility of an attack on Australian soil.

You'll be happy to know that ASIO and the Federal Police have got their eyes on all major infrastructure and social events / gathering points.

If an attack was to be successful without them knowing about it - it would need to be 911 in terms of planning and magnitude.

For all the rhetoric, the government really do take it pretty seriously.

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zenspider
"I'm certainly not afraid, however sitting on a packed train during peak hour in Sydney, sometimes its in the back of my mind, which made me think. Are we in any danger any time soon?"

I was on a peak hour train home 2 months ago in brissy, and this Islamic dude was frantically writing the same sentence *over and over again in a note pad....pages and pages of the same sentence.

Lots of people were clearly scoping it out...it was unusual behaviour I guess. I was sitting right beside him, and asked if his work was a religious thing.

He said yes, smiled winningly, and carried on. Explained that it was part of the discipline of his religion.....

Truth to tell, a large part of me wanted to get OFF the train at the very next stop. I didnt, but it was palpable that people were frightened...sux huh?

Yep, one of those things.

I'll tell you a freaky story - Sitting on a packed bus on the way to work last year. This Arabic man, sitting on the bus, he was sweating constantly, sweat dripping off him, staring down at the floor, slowing moving his body in the same motion, he was mumbling something under his breath quite franticly , then he proceeding to shake and he grabbed his back pack, put it on his lap and did the same thing again. The sweat kept pouring off him, mind you it was freezing cold outside, everyone had jumpers on. My stop was next, I got off and thankfully I never heard a thing about it again. Still freaky though.

Ezekiel - That type of stuff is good to hear. From the impressions that I get, it does seem that ASIO and the Federal Police seem to have everything under raps.

Is this enough though?

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 03:19 AM
link   
ezekiel,

I take on board what you have said but I can not help but believe that our
Australian government keeps 'terrorism' in our faces. I quite frankly, am sick of the hype, overkill and scare mongering.

Johnny gets on TV and it's "...we must not let the terrorists win' or "... terrorists this and terrorists that"

I strongly resist the paranoia of 'terrorism' as I am more afraid of what our government hasbeen cooking up with GWB and the NWO.

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by resistancia
ezekiel,

I take on board what you have said but I can not help but believe that our
Australian government keeps 'terrorism' in our faces. I quite frankly, am sick of the hype, overkill and scare mongering.

Johnny gets on TV and it's "...we must not let the terrorists win' or "... terrorists this and terrorists that"

I strongly resist the paranoia of 'terrorism' as I am more afraid of what our government hasbeen cooking up with GWB and the NWO.

The thing is, if a terrorist act did occur, and if our government had never warned people and advised them to take caution prior to the terrorist act, then the general public would get all skeptical and complain as to "why weren't all the necessary precautions taken into affect"?

These television adds, conferences and talks issued out by the PM and our government are all for precautionary measures and to make us Australians a little more AWARE, because at the moment we really don't give two hoots!
I'll be the first to admit that I'm more worried about getting mugged out on the street rather than a terrorist attack occurring.

While most of us have it in the back of our mind, we're quite laid back. Yes, all this media focus is a bit of an over-kill but its just to make us more aware (and cover themselves in the event of one)

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Hey there Rocky6, although unrelated to current world events. We did have one smallish terrorist type attack on Australian soil which was

The Sydney Hilton Bombing in 1978.

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 03:27 AM
link   
I am glad to hear that Ezekiel, very. I pray that it is so. Except i dont pray for anyhting, except for the QLD Roar (and trust me, they need it).

Buuuut.....this govt has taken lying to the public to new levels of obscenity.

After all the lies about weapons, kids overboard, the insane rush of refugees that never actually appeared, the AWB, mentally Ill aussies caught in detention...its a little hard to believe the govt knows anything that it has not manufactured for personal political gain.

320 million warbucks to Mr Saddam, and NONE of them knew that, not one apparently NOT the AFP, not DFAT, not our PM, not that misbegotten weasel Downer...they KNEW NOTHING...haha.

....and we should believe that not one crazy with some kaboom strapped on couldnt get anywhere here?

No offense to you, but id rather slam my penis in a car door than believe the media or govt in this country.

Where is the damned war?

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Madhatter - Ah yes that one, which also does raise the questions as to how easy it would be to do it. Although, can't really relate to the 70's as our intelligence is much more advance and many things have happened around the world.

Zenspider - Honestly dude, have a look at the other governments around the world, and the Australian government would have to be the most honest out of the lot. Be happy.

I think the whole children over-board issue and the refugee problem definitely was an obvious cover up, and governments are known to do so, but don't you think our government would take a more serious stance on something like terrorism? There are lies, fakes, bull#-artists and idiots in our government who tend to cover up and slip up or social issue, but one thing I do believe is that they are taking a serious stance on this terrorism issue, and for that I do applaud them.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join