It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

JET-MAN Jet wing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2006 @ 09:11 PM
link   
G'day all,

Came across this short video showing the use of the Jet Powered wing that attaches to a person and enables them to fly at high speed over a given area and land via a parachute -

www.jet-man.com...

I though all here would be interested in this. Imagine the possibilities of a stealth version one of these wings to be used by covert ops special forces, to fly them in deep behind enemy lines without being detected under the cover of darkness.

The potential for this is huge. Atleast I think so.

posted on Dec, 23 2006 @ 03:26 AM
link   
Hi, MM

Darn! All I can say is WOW-- what an amazing device!! Yes, it definitely has all grades and kinds of apps, that's fer sure! I Will be keeping track of this one --I want to see the next version!

Good Topic, Mate

posted on Dec, 23 2006 @ 06:37 AM
link   
You see the cloth-kinda wing things people have, but this is the first I've seen of powered rigid winged types. No doubt, something like this this was probably developed by the Soviet and US military's mid-Cold War, but still, it's cool to see such things happening in the public sector. They'll probably scope this guy out to get some new ideas, anyway.

Awesome clip, though. When the engines kicked in, it looked amazing. I can barely imagine the exhilaration of doing something like that; but I don't think I'll be going quite as close to aeroplane props as that guy did

Good music for it, as well. Moby, right? Also, I wonder if ground takeoff is possible. It seems a drag to have to go up in a plane or jump off a cliff every time you want to fly, but I suppose I'm not too hot on being slingshotted into the sky every time either.

posted on Dec, 23 2006 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by watch_the_rocks
Also, I wonder if ground takeoff is possible. It seems a drag to have to go up in a plane or jump off a cliff every time you want to fly, but I suppose I'm not too hot on being slingshotted into the sky every time either.

it looks to me like it's still in the testing stage....i'd want to be as far from the ground as possible testing that thing too. more time to deploy the chute. good find MM.

posted on Dec, 23 2006 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Is this not a variation of the device called a Griffon..or such??

As I recall there was also talk about powering the Griffon with small jets.

I never did hear how far the research into the Griffon had gone.

Intresting video.

I surmise that it is impractical to launch this type of device from the ground not having a undercarriage. Good way to break ones neck..or more. Also it is obvious to me that fuel consumption in such a ground borne take off mode would be considerable. Fuel constraints...ie...range would be the limiting factor on this application in military usage. Much more practical to launch from a mother ship.
If you had a high thrust fuel effecient engine this would help considerably. I am sure they are in existance...just not available to the general public as of yet. Also very costly. This is obvious to me in the cruise missle technology.

THanks,
Orangetom

posted on Dec, 25 2006 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Awesome! I can't wait to see the next version of this thing. I envision that someday all of us will be able to purchase something like this and sail through wild blue yonder like the eagles!

posted on Dec, 25 2006 @ 10:56 AM
link   
All that I can say is that the video was simply amazing. Without even touching on the topic of the Jet Wing, I have to say that the video was excellent. The music certainly went along with the image of a man really flying over the Swiss Alps. Again, it was truly an amazing and strangely beautiful sight.

Until I saw this video, my fantasy desire had actually been limited! I would have been content with a so called "flying car". Heck, after seeing this, I realize now that this is really closer to actually flying! Being an "old hippie", believe me, I really want to fly.

I'm going back downstairs now to look behind the Christmas tree to see if I might have missed something from Santa. I sure hope I can find a set of those Jet Wings.

posted on Dec, 25 2006 @ 02:22 PM
link   
It looks pretty safe. After all it has a parachute. The take-off and landing part could use improvement.

It's all made possible by the wonderful little jet engines now being sold. This one has 16 of them:

www.aviationexplorer.com...

posted on Dec, 25 2006 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Palasheea, I don't even have to click the link to know the movie. That thing is so massive, I wouldn't be surprised if the real NTSB came for a poke around if it crashed.

I want one.

posted on Dec, 26 2006 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I think it did crash:

video.google.com...

Here's small RC jet:
www.youtube.com...
and there are many others.

This guy got a little carried away:
www.amtjets.com...

But the real upshot of all this the Very Light Jet (or VLJ) revolution, started by this company:
www.eclipseaviation.com...
Everybody is jumping on this bandwagon, Cessan, Honda, Embraer, Bambardier

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 07:34 AM
link   
That is absolutely incredible! Despite having a parachute, it can be still very dangerous, but who cares that would be awesome to do. Imagine the adrenaline, the feeling of speed, the feeling of freedom.

This is truly THE CLOSEST thing to human beings flying!

How fast do you think he'd be going?

Also, I noticed how he landed. He'd want to get that right - otherwise, could smash the damn thing if he landed awkwardly.

Awesome stuff.

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Nice, pretty futuristic.

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I don't think that this is really flying. What is happening is that this device has slowed the pilot's rate of descent and increased his speed over ground. I could easily see the military uses for such a device. I wonder if it or something like it could be incorporated into an ejection seat? This would allow the crew of a downed aircraft get away from populated areas and increast their chances of rescue.

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by JIMC5499
I don't think that this is really flying. What is happening is that this device has slowed the pilot's rate of descent and increased his speed over ground.

i thought so at first too. but look at the video again. there are several instances where he is obviously below the tops of the mountains, and zooms back above them.

new topics

top topics

join