It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rugby, Australian Football: Wilkinson may be out

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Jonny Wilkinson is looking increasingly unlikely to be fit for England's opening RBS 6 Nations matches against Italy and Scotland.The Newcastle fly-half has been troubled by shoulder and neck problems since returning from the World Cup last November.

The Falcons had hoped Wilkinson would be fit to return for their Zurich Premiership clash with Gloucester on February 7 but a comeback on that date is now looking unlikely.That would leave Wilkinson with no chance of proving his fitness for England's opener in Italy on February 15.

Ben

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 05:05 PM
link   
how good is wilkinson

TRD

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben
how good is wilkinson

Wilkinson was just 18-years-old when first named in the England side to play Ireland in 1998. Since then he's become the most gifted fly-half of his generation, racking up more than 500 international points. What a player - his kicking skills mean that opposing teams KNOW that they will lose three points each time they infringe and this is a major boost for England - particularly when the major nations are still likely to outscore England on the try front on average.I rank him as the best fly-half in the world at the moment, as he has good perception and a great ability to spot a gap in any defence.

Before he came on the scene we had a real problem finding a replacement for Rob Andrew; there were even rumours that we would try and get Joel Stransky to qualify for England. Now look, we have a fly-half who is the envy of the rugby world.

Ben

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 10:19 PM
link   
so it would be very hurtful if he were to be out? Who would they get to replace him if he does go out?

posted on Jan, 25 2004 @ 10:15 AM
link   
sounds like a good player i know i would miss somebody like that.

Hopefully he will be back soon enough for them

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Nope, he missed the entire 6 nations and is looking unlikely to be fit for the Southern hemisphere tour either.

>Who would they get to replace him if he does go out?<
They'll use either Paul Grayson or Olly Barkely

Also, i'd like to add to TRD's description:
He broke the all time England points scoring record at 21 and I think he's now on over 700 international points.

TRD

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Thanks for that FAJA..

Olly Barkely looked a ok replacement in the 6 nations,but they surely missed wilkinson.He has to be Englands best player,i'm not sure when he will be fit again but i hope he isn't out too long.

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Your right they surely will miss him.He will be back soon and everything will be all good again.

top topics

join