It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Football: Fifa World Cup 2006 Thread

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 05:25 AM
link   
I agree with your opinion on the best performance Koka being by Argentina. I know Serbia got a guy sent off but before that had happened the Argetinians were giving Serbia a hiding!

Riquleme is playing his role brilliantly dictating play and setting up chance after chance and they have guys who are comfortable on the ball and most of the players look like they are capable of scoring good goals plus they have good squad depth.

When Holland played against Serbia, alright in the first half Holland were better but in the 2nd half Serbia looked much better and i thought that was them improved.

Not sure what will happen with Brazil, i thought 9 of their players looked good the othey day against Croatia but Ronaldo and Adriano were rather poor. Ronaldo being extremelly poor! but defintly!, they can only get better and i believe they will. The World Cup is their scene without doubt, but how far they go really depends on Ronaldo. Fair enough they won against the Croatians but they were lucky, looking forward to seeing what they do against the Aussies who are an aggresive team. Craig Moore has already came out and said he will do dirty tackles on Ronaldinho if it helps them get a point.

England have been poor in my opinion, and its kinda mystery as to why. Looking at all the players they have, especially Lampard and Gerrard these guys are the best players at their clubs yet when you put them all together they dont click into this amazing team as you would expect. There is talk of Lampard and Gerrard being rested against the Sweden game though

I thought when Lennon came on he looked good, was running at defenders and that has not happened much. I think the best player in the team so far has been Joe Cole. Not sure if it was ITV or BBC but there was an analysis of England when they have the ball and it was all the players seem to be static and making no runs

With the African teams it looks like the team with the biggest chance of going through will be Ghana! i never seen the game yesterday but to beat the Czech's 2 nil is a great result

Are you from ATS? thought i recognized the name

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Yes rynaldo82, I am an ATS'er that was a little unhappy with lack of WC talk over there.

Lampard looked good in the Paraguay game but is failing to finish with any accuracy, something he has developed a habit of at Chelsea, he is still very much a force to be reckoned with in Mid-field as he has brilliant defensive qualities. Gerard's goal was a welcome return to form, lets see more of that.

What did you reckon to the Italy v USA game? Thought the ref had taken a bung for a second, he was a little card happy, especially on the first US sending off, it was a nasty tackle, but a yellow would have put pay to it.

TRD

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Argentina do look good so far and the team to beat, but hopefully they have peaked early.

As for England, i have said before that we always start slow in major tournaments throughout. but we are at a snails pace at the moment. They definatly need to get a move on because we have the players capable of doing it. The're just not performing and Sven couldnt muster a whimper let alone a battle cry.

I watched the Italy v USA game and i thought it was another one of them bad referees. Ok the Italian sending off was justified, they guy elbowed him right in front of the ref. The 1st USA sending off was just about justified, but the second was a Yellow only, not a straight red. The Italians are a bunch of divers and he made it look worse than it was and conned the ref into sending him off.

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 08:46 AM
link   
The second US sending off wasn't a straight red, the guy had already been booked, so justifiable really, I just reckon he was a little card happy with the first sending off. The ref made few other dubious decisions. The sooner Fifa adopt video reffing the better.

TRD

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Ahh i see, i was at a party and was running in and out between beers catching as much as the game as possible.

Should be a good game comming up, Brazil v Australia.

Brazil was strolling about in their first match but could easily step it up at any time, but the Aussies played real well and will fancy their chances.

If Brazil was taking it easy in their first game, then they should easily beat the Aussies.

TRD

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Koka
The sooner Fifa adopt video reffing the better.

You think that would work?

If they was to bring it in, i would say that it should only be used for certain things. Otherwise it will slow the game down badly and it will ruin it.

The 4th official has a tv screen in this World Cup where he can watch the whole game but they havnt got a playback feature or replay. I guess he can see things the referee doesnt spot but can they stop the game if they spot something? How many times do you see the ref consult the 4th official?

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I agree, video reffing should only be used in certain circumstances, penalties and sending offs.....and all the way through matches between Chelsea and Liverpool........my dear old Chelsea have suffered too many injustices these past few years.........

[Edited on 6/18/06 by Koka]

Sir

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 09:42 AM
link   
A question to everyone..

Do you think Rooney-Owen should start against Sweden?

He obviously isnt match fit, but he is a great player and links up well between the midfield and the strikers. Sven is looking to play Owen/Rooney in attack. With Owen still not fully fit and not firing at all, its looking like he will get the nod over Crouch. Crouch has been in good goalscoring form and i think he deserves his place in the side. He's not everyones choice but at least he is scoring and giving 100%...

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 10:32 AM
link   
No...its not necessary to put Rooney at too much risk at the mo, a 20/30 minute stint in the 2nd half will suffice. Keep him fresh and fighting fit for when the real games commence.

The game changed when he came on the other day, but he was holding back big time, he knows he can't afford to have that injury aggrevated in the short term and the long.

Plus I'd much rather have Rooney as a sub than Crouch if we have to come from behind.

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Brazil beats Australia 2-0. But it should've been at least 2-3 seen the chances Australia had. I don't think this Brazil is going to win the world cup.

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Sterling performance from Australia some slick passing from both sides, could so easily have been more goals from either side.

Brazil are yet to get there pace up to speed, super-sub Robinho looked threatening the moment he came on.

The Australia v Croatia game should be a good one.

Thu 22-Jun 8:00 PM - BBC - Croatia v Australia

TRD

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Australia played pretty good, Brazil didnt look that great again. Although they played well in patches, on the day against a side who can finish better the may be in trouble. They look far from favourites for the World Cup.

Big game on now for France, they will be on their way out if they lose.

TRD

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sir
A question to everyone..

Do you think Rooney-Owen should start against Sweden?

He obviously isnt match fit, but he is a great player and links up well between the midfield and the strikers. Sven is looking to play Owen/Rooney in attack. With Owen still not fully fit and not firing at all, its looking like he will get the nod over Crouch. Crouch has been in good goalscoring form and i think he deserves his place in the side. He's not everyones choice but at least he is scoring and giving 100%...

Definatly not, if Rooney is fit enough to start he should be playing with Crouch. Owen has shown nothing so far to warrant a starting place where Crouch has. Thats where Sven made a big mistake in the first place, just taking one fit striker. He should have added Defoe, Bent or a different striker to the squad..

I wouldn't start Rooney at all, he should come on in the second half, same as Lennon. They will be more effective when the players get tired, there is more space and the game slows a bit towards the end.

TRD

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Anyone been reading about the betting scandal surrounding the Australian team?

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 01:29 PM
link   
How 'Bout those Pesky Americans?!

Hey, we'll take the tie, it was the Italians, after all...

TRD

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 01:32 PM
link   
USA did great Gibbs, i was wanting them to win. Cant stand the Italians lol..

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by TRD
USA did great Gibbs, i was wanting them to win. Cant stand the Italians lol..

I was town who to root for, as I'm an Italian American...

TRD

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Root for where you was born, not some distant connection...

Well France are holding on to their 1-0 lead, still 30 mins to go so anything can happen yet. But they are looking good for the win.

TRD

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 02:17 PM
link   
What a game the France v Korea one is...

The last ten mins have been awesome.. Korea have equalized and are trying desperatly to hold on....

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by TRD
Anyone been reading about the betting scandal surrounding the Australian team?

Havent heard anything about this one

They are one dirty team though!

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join