It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Football: Fifa World Cup 2006 Thread

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 01:53 PM
link   
There's no Sportztawk thread here on Sportztawk??

Anyway post your Predictions, commentaries etc... here

Bandit

:sport-smiley-019:

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 01:58 PM
link   
For some reason I'm thinking that an upset like with Greece in Euro 2006 might happen again. But everyone else around me is thinking that Brazil is going to win it naturally.

Look for an African team like Ivory Coast to be strong.

TRD

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I will post a bit more about teams i fancy to do well, but England do have a very good chance to do well. It all depends on how much the players want it. Our defence is solid and i think one of the best in the tournament. There is some great engines on the pitch so i don't think we will fear any team who have a bit of pace about them as the Premier League is always played at high tempo. Our passing is slick and the players are all peaking at the right time. We can make it through to the quarter finals at least and on to the semi's..

Although he is a bit of a donkey, look out for Peter Crouch to have a great tournament. If Aaron Lennon gets a chance he could be devasting down the wing and could be a sleeper...

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 03:08 PM
link   
If only my knowledge extended to FIFA, I could do for these match-ups what I do in the NFL, MLB, and NBA. Since I am "retarded" when it comes to the World Cup, hopefully you guys can post some good stuff here to help me boost some knowledge and get to know another sport.

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I want Brazil to win the world cup. The reason is because I saw a special on TV about Brazilian soccer and the country practically lives for it.

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 08:00 PM
link   
What are the chaces for the American team? I remember reading that they are in a tough draw.

Ben

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 09:16 PM
link   
I don't like the chances of America in this one. I just think the skill level in football over seas is just far greater than it is here in the States. I saw the opening match with germany and they played well. What a game. Something that we don't have here in the states is the 12nd man in the crowd, and that is going to hurt us. There is much for fan support for the national teams over seas. I would like to see england and brazil go at it. Bascially a couple of the top teams going one on one.

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 08:27 AM
link   
England was very dissapointing today.. Although I know Paraguay is a good team. Only one goal scored, and it's an own goal...:yawn:

TRD

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 08:53 AM
link   
I thought we played well in the first half, but second half was pretty poor.

Beckham and Joe Cole had good games, but Paraguay played well second half. I guess it was only the first game and we can only improve...

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Yeah, especially Joe Cole played good. But I expected better from Lampard. He's on the level of Ronaldinho IMO.

And I'm enjoying how my fellow Caribbean people are playing against Sweden. They're putting up a fight, but they need to get more into the 16 meters...

[Edited on 10/6/06 by Bandit795]

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Trinidad 0 - Sweden 0!!!!!

:party-smiley-018::party-smiley-018::party-smiley-018::sport-smiley-019::sport-smiley-019:

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Pardon my ignorance guys, but what does the term "own goal" mean?

TRD

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Gibbs own goal is when a playing puts the ball in his own net. Your meant to put the ball in the oppositions net..

Bandit what a great game Trinidad and Tobago played. Down to 10 men in the second half and was unlucky not to score when that guy hit the crossbar. Fantastic result for them and IF they can play just as good against Paraguay, who knows they just might qualify. I see my teams goalkeeper Hislop had a fantastic game..

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by TRD
Gibbs own goal is when a playing puts the ball in his own net. Your meant to put the ball in the oppositions net..

Alright, I just read the CBS Sportsline article, that explained it clearly. I had thought that Carlos Gamarra was on England's team, for some unknown reason...

TRD

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Beckham might try to claim the goal as the ball was going in before it hit the guys head. I think they have 24hrs to try to claim it..

There is another game on it a bit and it should be a cracker..

Argentina v Ivory Coast.. Ivory Coast are i would say the best African team in the World Cup...

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 11:55 AM
link   
That's a good idea, to allow the players to claim the goals. Do you think that he deserves it?

TRD

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Well it was a very good free-kick and yeah he most prob deserves it.. If it had took a huge deflection and then went in then maybe not...

TRD

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Argentina are winning 2-0 at half time. They have played really well but i think the Ivory Coast have been unlucky not to score themselves. Its been a great first half and hopefully IC can pull a goal back early in the second half and make a real game of it...

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gibbs Baby!!!
What are the chaces for the American team? I remember reading that they are in a tough draw.

Yeah, the US did land in a difficult group!

Italy have won the world cup in the past, they have loads of good players and one of the best defences. Alone their goalkeeper Gigi Buffon cost about £32 million and in my opinion he is the best keeper in the world. All their players play for the best teams in the world and with that being said, i would say they are the group favourites.

The czech's have a great team but i believe their best player Pavel Nedved is ruled out of the tournament? still, they have alot of other good players and as a nation they seem to improve every year. They have alot of ability and although their players are not as well known as the Italians, it seems after every national football tournament the Czech players get snapped up by bigger clubs.

So being honest, they 2 would be my tips to qualify to the next stage. I know the USA has improved as a football/soccer team so maybe they could do it, but i just cant see it

Same with Ghana, i cant see them going through. I dont know much about their team but they have a good midfield player called Essien, whos a solid player. If all the players are built like him they will be hard to beat. I can't see them progressing either.

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by TRD
Argentina are winning 2-0 at half time. They have played really well but i think the Ivory Coast have been unlucky not to score themselves. Its been a great first half and hopefully IC can pull a goal back early in the second half and make a real game of it...

I saw bits and bobs of this game and i thought it was the best game so far! I have been looking forward to seeing Argentina, especially to see the Riquelme, Crespo and Saviola trio. Hopefully Tevez will get games and show what he can do, to match the hype he recieved (Remember the stories about how Chelsea wanted to sign him for like 30 million?) and the same with Messi, i aint sure what age he is but hes young and has loads of skill!

Thought Riquleme's pass for the 2nd goal was fantastic and i thought Ivory Coast were good oppenents. They looked really strong and fast, which is a dangerous combination. They have a tough group though! aint sure who will progress

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join