It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Football: Fifa World Cup 2006 Thread

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2006 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by TRD
Great pic Gibbs, i bet he had a great time out there!

Yep, I'm sure he did. Im making a road trip with him and his family this weekend, I might be able to finally get him into joining up here...

posted on Jun, 27 2006 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Socrates
I thought the Czechs would go through, especially as Nedved is still a legend and Rosicky pays for Arsenal.
Oh and despite my feelings about Chelsea, they also have the best goalie in the world.

In the context it makes sense, just a little badly phrase by moi. He is the Czech goalie, who plays club football for Chelsea. A Premiership follower would realise, but I have to hand it to you as an American you know more than most about football. I have had too many discusions with Americans who believe football is rubbish as there is a lack of violence

I wish I was out there in Germany

posted on Jun, 27 2006 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by TRD
Hello Mar.. i mean Socrates...

Germany vs Argentina
Italy vs Ukraine
England vs Portugal
Brazil v France

I agree Arg. may have peaked, this game is a BIG one.

I am unimpressed by both Italy AND the Ukraine. Thus this game doesn't matter.

I will give my left kidney to have anyone beat Portugal. That being said, I've been unimpressed with England's play as well. Poor officiating could give this to the Drama Queens of 2006.

Brazil vs France, flip a coin imo.

Germ./Arg. and Braz./Fra. the two matches to watch for imo.

BTW, who's this socrates? I like this guy. :party-smiley-018:

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by truenorth
BTW, who's this socrates? I like this guy. :party-smiley-018:

Why I am just me...
I only signed up yesterday, but I think I will be posting on here a fair bit from now on. Damn good sport site

Anywho, I agree that the Italy v. Ukraine match will be bollocks, but the England v. Portugal match will be the dogs bollocks
It will be an absolute stunner methinks. Scolari knocked us out of the last WC when he was manager for Brazil, then he knocks us out of Euro 2004 with Portugal, but he sure as hell aint doing it again. Enlgand will relish the challenge and up the tempo. Once that happens we will keep improving right up until we win the tournament! :party-smiley-018:

TRD

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 01:47 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Well, good luck to you chaps!

Do you guys know anyone that will make the trek over to watch the game on Saturday? How much would you expect a scalped ticket to go for?

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I just read that Ronaldo broke the record for career goals in the tournamet, with 15. In only 3 tournaments, that's pretty good, eh?

TRD

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Tickets will be huge amounts Gibbs..

Got to be over 1,000GBP for a ticket, maybe a hell of a lot more. I wouldnt pay it thats for sure...

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Let's see, that's nearly $2,000, according to this conversion site I just found FX converter

Compared to NCAA tournament tickets, which I just found out you can purchase online right now, with regional tickets (all 3 games), going for $350-$1,500 each, bought from the NCAA.

It's just about comparative, but I'm thinking that scalped tickets for the World Cup will cost more that Final Four tickets.

TRD

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Yeah, looking at it they most prob will go for quite a few thousand..

Games start up again tomorrow, i think the Germany game is the earlier kick-off..

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I gotta pull for Germany in that game, the Italians in the other.

TRD

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Germany have played well, but all the games are going to be tough...

I would like to see a Germany v England final... 1966 all over again!!

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Is there a good site with alltime team vs. team records out there?

ie, Germany vs. Argentina...

TRD

posted on Jun, 30 2006 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I'll have a look later Gibbs..

Germany won on penalties!

Well i didnt think they would go through, i watched the game and i thought Argentina was slightly the better. But it was a dogged game and a hard one with both teams not giving much ground. The fears that the Argies had peaked early was spot on and they didnt look as good as previous games...

Italy v Ukraine is on now, 1-0 to Italy.. Ukraine dont look that great so they will need to step it up to get back in the game..

posted on Jun, 30 2006 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by TRD

Italy v Ukraine is on now, 1-0 to Italy.. Ukraine dont look that great so they will need to step it up to get back in the game..

Well, one half of the Gibbsy heritage game (Germany vs. Italians) is set, and it looks like the other half is on it's way...

[Edited on 7/3/2006 by Gibbs Baby!!!]

TRD

posted on Jun, 30 2006 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Thats for sure, its Italy 3 Ukraine 0 now with 15 mins to play...

posted on Jun, 30 2006 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by TRD

Well i didnt think they would go through, i watched the game and i thought Argentina was slightly the better. But it was a dogged game and a hard one with both teams not giving much ground. The fears that the Argies had peaked early was spot on and they didnt look as good as previous games...

I thought when Argentina scored that was it, they had better players and on the bench they were stronger too. With this being said Germany had to attack and Argentina are good at keeping possesing.

But the Argie manager.... Peckerman i think his name was made a big time mess! Your wining 1 nil... what do you do? he went defensive. Did he think 1 goal was enough! the azz

Taking off Riquelme for Cambiasso, what was that about? as they had already used 1 sub with Franco coming into goals for them.

Bringing Crespo off for Cruz too, Crespo is by far the better player. I werent aware of Crespo being injured, was that the manager thinking...am gonna rest him for the next game, same with Riquelme and then when the Germans scored Argentina were minus there 2 best players on the park (Riquelme and Crespo).

I think if it was 1 - 1.... and they did not use up their subs they would have still won the game as they had Saviola and wonderkid Messi on the bench. I think Messi would have made such a huge difference if he had got on, at the end of the day i think it was really bad tactical decisions which cost Argentina the game rather than Germany being the better team

Still.. credit to Germany as they did well, they are full of running rather than the big boots up the park they used to do.

Italy game, never bothered watching it as i thought Italy would be able to pound the Ukraine. Can't see Italy being able to beat Germany in the next round

Looking forward to the games tomorrow!

by the way.... did anyone notice the c0ck up Tony B-Liar did?

there was this school from England, a trip over to see one of the games (must have been an England game) and once they had arrived they discovered they had fake tickets. Then all the children were all disapointed and upset, so good old Tony says i will sort out tickets which was caught on camera, trying to be the hero (bearing in mind these games are total sell outs! i think he needed to get around 400 tickets).

This was cut out from the Media, Private Eye caught it (which is a political magazine which makes fun of Politicians etc) and good old Tony.... it didnt happen haha

posted on Jun, 30 2006 @ 03:36 PM
link   
About the Germany v Argentina game....

I thought the Germans were awesome at the penalty shoot out! every penalty they hit was good, guys just running up and banging them into the goals. Even Ballack who had some sort of injury ran up and scored a good one.

Lehmann dived in the right direction everytime, and saved 2 i think? he looked hard to beat and the Germans looked like scoring every time. I think if you are to beat them you need to do it before the end of 120 minutes!

posted on Jul, 1 2006 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I'm not that happy to see Portugal beat England. I don't like the way they play. But anyway, did you know that the referee was an Argentine???

Why would Fifa put an Argentine to referee an England match??

TRD

posted on Jul, 1 2006 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Not happy abput the result and the sending off of Rooney. To me it looked like he never meant to do it, but then i would say that. If he did mean to stamp on the guys lower regions then he needs to get roasted for doing it and deserved the red. But the ref wasnt taking any action untill that prick Ronaldo came running over and started acting up to the ref and Ronney gave him a little shove to say go away. If the ref sent him off for that he shouldnt be allowed to officiate a game again.

Ronaldo gave him a lil headbutt when England kicked off did you see that?. I tell you what i wouldnt like to be Ronaldo when Man U go back training. Rooney will give the whiney lil biatch something to cry about thats for sure...

Looking at it, we got what we deserved. England was pretty crap all tournament and we failed to live upto expectations yet again. The defence played really well and Rio, Ashley Cole and Terry did great in most of the games. Neville look good today after he had been out for a few of the games and looked pretty fit. Hargreaves had another really good game and him and Joe Cole are the only two midfielders who can hold their heads up and be proud to wear the England shirt.

Lampard was pathetic, another game where he squandered great chances in goal, his passing was off yet again and he should have been hauled off like he should have been in some of the games. These guys get paid HUGE amounts of cash per week, that shouldnt guarentee a starting place, nor should performances from months ago. These tournaments are about playing people who are on top of their form, not people who are comming back from injuries, past performances like Owen although Rooney was an exception but he didnt really do that much. If your having bad games after bad games you shouldnt play...

We was doomed from the start, we just did enough in games to get us through and we rode our luck quite a bit. Sven messed up from the start in trying out all these different formations and players. He already had his team picked 6-9 months before the World Cup, no doubt about that. He messed up by taking an injured/unfit attacking force, a useless beanpole and a kid he had no intention of playing. But you cant just blame the manager, i blame the so called top class players we have playing for England. More like an overpaid bunch of players who are more interested in their appearance, status and how much money they can make.

Now Sven has gone, we have McClaren. Will he breath some life into them? Will he be strong enough to leave some of these players out of the side? I guess we will have to wait and see....

Disgruntled England supporter........

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join