It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ice Hockey: NHL Playoffs

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2004 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gibbs Baby!!!

We'll see tonight. I'm thinkin Philly is gonna knock them on thier collective a$$

I'll second that! We're going to kick some Lightning a$$ tonight!!!!!!

Momentum has meant little in the Eastern Conference finals, from game to game, even from period to period. But the Philadelphia Flyers have it heading into Game Seven on Saturday night at the St. Pete Times Forum.

Philadelphia is coming off a rousing 5-4 victory. On the brink of elimination Thursday, red-hot Keith Primeau scored with 1:49 remaining to force overtime. The Flyers' captain set up Simon Gagne's game-winner 18:18 into the extra period and has seven goals and five assists in the last eight games.

Vincent Lecavalier and former Flyer Ruslan Fedotenko both tallied twice for Tampa Bay, who are playing the first Game Seven in Tampa Bay's 12-year history.

The Flyers are 6-5 all time in Game Sevens, most recently routing Toronto, 6-1, in the 2003 conference quarterfinals. In its last Game Seven on the road, Philadelphia defeated Pittsburgh, 4-1, in the 1989 Patrick Division finals. Neither team has been able to put together consecutive wins in the series.

STREAKS:

The Flyers are 8-0 and the Lightning are 11-1 when leading after two periods.

HISTORY:

Tampa Bay is 6-2 at home in the postseason. Philadelphia is 6-0 in one-goal playoff games.

LEADERS:

Tampa Bay -
C Vincent Lecavalier, nine goals; RW Martin St. Louis, 12 assists; St. Louis, 17 points.

Philadelphia - C Keith Primeau, nine goals; C Alex Zhamnov, 10 assists; Primeau, 16 points.

INJURIES:

Tampa Bay - D Jassen Cullimore (wrist).

Philadelphia - D Eric Desjardins (broken forearm); D Marcus Ragnarsson (broken index finger); RW Radovan Somik (hand).

Ben

posted on May, 22 2004 @ 01:57 PM
link   
On a personal level, i would like to see TB win this series, they are more of a cinderalla team, and i think that them going all the way this season woudl be a bit better for the NHL. Look at how far they have come this season and the last ocuple of season, they have become a force to be reckon with. Watch out NHL the TB Lighting are for real. They are going to show that tonight as they win this game, and Boulin is going to put on an amazing show at goalie

posted on May, 22 2004 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I believe Philadelphia has two intangible factors working in their favor tonight for game 7.

1. Momentum - The Flyers definitely outplayed the Bolts in the third period of game 6 and TOTALLY dominated the overtime so the momentum is definitely in the Flyers corner going in. Not to mention the boost you get from scoring to tie it with under 2 minutes and then winning in OT, that had to burst the Lightning balloon at least temporarily.

2. Experience - The Flyers are no doubt the more experienced, veteran team. The Bolts have some veterans, most notably Dave Andreychuk, but the roster top to bottom has more experience for the Flyers, and especially far more playoff experience. I think players like St Louis and LeCavalier arent as hungry as players like Primeau, Roenick, Amonte, etc because theyre young and know they have a long career ahead but the veterans know their clock is ticking and this might be their best chance if they're ever going to hoist Lord Stanley's Cup. I think this hunger is a huge advantage for the Flyers and I think it will be apparent tonight.

Tampa Bay obviously has a big advantage with home ice but I dont think that will be enough to beat this Flyers team.

I really hope we can pull this game out tonight, I have been a die-hard Flyers fan since I can remember and we havent seen the Cup here in Philly since '74-'75. I think this team has the players, the coach, and the chemistry to win a Stanley Cup and I so hope I'm right. Sorry I hijacked this thread with Flyers stories and pics, I'm just a very passionate hockey and Flyers fan.

My prediction:

Flyers 4 - Lightning 3

[size=10]GO FLYERS !!!!!!!!

TRD

posted on May, 22 2004 @ 04:46 PM
link   
The Flyers are looking for their eighth trip to the Cup finals, and the first since Detroit swept them in 1997. Tampa Bay, which is in the playoffs for just the third time in its 12-year history, has never been involved in a Game 7 - let alone advanced this far in the postseason.

GO FLYERS!!

posted on May, 22 2004 @ 05:35 PM
link   
This is what it's all about, a game 7 to see who plays for the ultimate prize, Lord Stanley's Cup. Two great teams facing off and leaving everything they have out on the ice, let's get it on. May the best team win.

[size=10]GO FLYERS !!!!!!

TRD

posted on May, 22 2004 @ 05:37 PM
link   
No you don't say it like that "May the best team win" thats being too polite.

You say Lets KICK AZZ!!!!

TRD

posted on May, 22 2004 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Well i'm listening to it live on MSN NHL Game Radio. First ever hockey game i have listened to on the radio. Tampa lead 1-0 on a powerplay after the 1st quarter.

posted on May, 22 2004 @ 07:50 PM
link   
2 periods complete andLightning lead 2-1. So far too many turnovers for the Flyers, we need to have a HUGE 3rd period and pull this thing out!

[size=10]GO FLYERS !!!!!!!

posted on May, 22 2004 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Sorry PA, TB just too strong. I will say though that that is the best hockey I have seen Esche play. I thought it was going to boil down to his inabillity, he was the best player on the ice tonight. 1st star, without him the score would have been 6-1.

posted on May, 22 2004 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by truenorth
Sorry PA, TB just too strong. I will say though that that is the best hockey I have seen Esche play. I thought it was going to boil down to his inabillity, he was the best player on the ice tonight. 1st star, without him the score would have been 6-1.

Yup, Tampa Bay was the better team tonight. Esche did play a heck of a game but I'm disappointed that the Flyers didnt play with more urgency. They lost the faceoffs, were outhit, got beat to all the loose pucks, they're all the little things that make a huge difference and they just didnt it done. Congrats to the Lightning, they have a good team and it should be a good finals.

Now I'm going back to crying in my beer. What a disappointing loss.

posted on May, 22 2004 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I will say, watch the final. You're going to see pro hockey played like International hockey. No matter who your team is, this could be the best final in years.

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Man, I cant remember the last time I was this disappointed. I really thought this was our year and to make it worse, who knows if there will even be an NHL season next year. I'm going to have a hard time watching the finals although I'm sure it'll be exciting. This sucks.

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I know how it feels man. Remember when Craig coughed up the ball to the Giants late in the NFC championship game? 1991 I think. If the Niners had won that game they would have gone on to win 3 consecutive Superbowls, nobody has done that. I damn near had a stroke, I was so mad.

TRD

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Well i listened to the first two quarters on the radio and it sounded real good. I don't really like hockey but i was cheering on the flyers. Had to get my head down as it was like 2am or something like that. Well i can't believe they lost i was sure they was going to win.

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I watched the game with a budy who's a kie hard fan originally from the Philly area, we were all deeply disappiointed, andhad to drink many beers to console ourselves afterwards. Didn't help much, though.

Ben

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 05:14 PM
link   
its going to be on heck of a final i must say, both have soild goalies and thats how its going to come down to again just like the philil series

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProudAmerican
Man, I cant remember the last time I was this disappointed. I really thought this was our year and to make it worse, who knows if there will even be an NHL season next year. I'm going to have a hard time watching the finals although I'm sure it'll be exciting. This sucks.

I know exactly how you feel bro.
And now we may have to sit on these losses longer than normal. Who knows when the next hockey season will start. And what will the teams be like once it does start up again. I know there are several players that going to play for teams in whatever country they came from. Ekman will go back to Sweden if the season does not start. I would assume its the same with some of the Flyers players as well. What a crappy end to a fantastic season.
Tampa playing for the cup....I still can't get over that........

[Edited on 5/24/2004 by nyeff]

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Good coaching. Either coach in the final could be considered "Coach of the Year."

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by nyeff
Tampa playing for the cup....I still can't get over that........

I saw an interview with Jeremy Roenick and he was saying at the games down in Tampa, when there is a stoppage of play they go over the rules of hockey for the fans on the stadium jumbotron. They dont even know hockey, for god's sake!

Stanley DOESN"T need a tan!

[Edited on 24-5-2004 by ProudAmerican]

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 05:49 PM
link   
In fairness to TB, a lot of Canadians retire there. We don't need to be told the rule though.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join