It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tactical Nuclear Weapons

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2003 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Does anybody know why the U.S. no longer carries tactical nuclear weapons onboard it's aircraft carrier snd ships? I'm aware there were treaties after the Cold War and that there are now limited uses for these kinds of firepower, but still, we may need them in case we fight China or North Korea.

posted on Nov, 20 2003 @ 11:02 PM
link   
between 4,000 and 15,000 tactical nuclear weapons, mainly in the Russian arsenal.

i know Russia has them.

he U.S. nuclear arsenal today includes 5,400 warheads loaded on intercontinental ballistic missiles at land and sea; an additional 1,750 nuclear bombs and cruise missiles ready to be launched from B-2 and B-52 bombers; a further 1,670 nuclear weapons classified as �tactical.� And just in case, an additional 10,000 or so nuclear warheads held in bunkers around the United States as a �hedge� against future surprises

also the US has them too.

posted on Nov, 20 2003 @ 11:04 PM
link   
The US is currently developing the B61-11, which scientists who have developed it claim is a "low-yield," "earth-penetrating" bomb. The Department of Defense has justified the development of such a bomb as necessary to reach underground targets such as Sadam Hussein's bunker or other underground command centers, without destroying entire cities. The development of the B61-11 will make the use of tactical nuclear weapons more likely in future conflicts.

Advocates of the B61-11 argue that by developing "smaller" and more precise nuclear weapons, the US could safely reduce its current stockpile of some 6,000 more powerful warheads.

US have any new nuclear weapons

Now this bomb will help with getting the terrorists.

posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 08:06 PM
link   
But that wasn't what I was asking. I was wondering why they don't carry them aboard carriers, surface ships, and attack submarines (not ballistic missile subs).

posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I think that it's just too risky to carry one of these on board conventionally. If the ship sinks or gets hijacked, just imagine what a problem it would be and how easily it would be to get hold of those weapons and start making threats.

Although the risk of one exploding is minimal, there is still a chance of it, although very low. A suicide bombing might set one off. To have a nuclear explosion at sea, or close to a country will severely damage the US's reputation.

posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 08:24 PM
link   
This is nothing but a word game, they do carry tactical nuclear weapons but they're not completely assembled, they have to insert a couple pieces together to get a functioning warhead.

Its just a way of getting round countries that ban nukes in harbours, e.g. Canada. They say they have no tactical nuclear weapons on board, but that doesnt mean they dont have parts to assemble them

posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 08:28 PM
link   
I agree with you Nerdling. Alot of times the government just uses confusing terminology just to get around the law.

What are the parts to assemble? Nuke and access code?

The size of those ships are enormous. They could be hiding tons of things in there we don't know about. They could just have a container that says "top secret" on it and stuff all the nukes they want.

posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Saucerat

The size of those ships are enormous. They could be hiding tons of things in there we don't know about. They could just have a container that says "top secret" on it and stuff all the nukes they want.

Or they could just call nukes regular things. There are plenty of ways to disguise things like that.

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by sweatmonicaIdo
But that wasn't what I was asking. I was wondering why they don't carry them aboard carriers, surface ships, and attack submarines (not ballistic missile subs).

Umm, what makes you think they don't? The US does have nuclear armed Tomahawk Land attack missiles, which are only carried by attack subs and surface destroyers.

If carriers were to have nukes they would have to be gravity bombs - which would be silly with the type of aircraft they have. Especially since they are always surround by guided missile destroyers.

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Saucerat
Although the risk of one exploding is minimal, there is still a chance of it, although very low. A suicide bombing might set one off. To have a nuclear explosion at sea, or close to a country will severely damage the US's reputation.

American nuclear bombs have a safety mecanisme which protects them from many factors ex: if the bomb is not armed and dropped from an airplane it wouldn't explode ( there'll maybe a leak but no nuclear explosion) so a suicide bombing might provoke a leak but will never set one off.

top topics

join