It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's using most of your power?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 10:20 PM
link   
From the slashdot blurb:

Slashdot blurb
Carl Bialik from WSJ writes

"A tech columnist looked around his home and wondered, 'All these TVs and cable boxes and computers and computer gear and chargers for various adapters have to be sucking up a lot of power, right?' So WSJ.com's Jason Fry bought a power meter to find the biggest power hogs in his home. They weren't his newfangled gadgets: 'The heavily used agglomeration of PC / two monitors / printer / hard drive / speakers in my downstairs study costs a bit more than $10 a month. The PC in our bedroom costs about $6 a month. The upstairs laptop? Less than $1 — a bit more than other always-on gadgets such as the router, cable modem, wireless repeater and Airport Express. So what were our apartment's power hogs? The lights and the dryer. I estimate our lights cost us around $30 a month, nearly a third of that from a chandelier with eight bulbs. Then there's the dryer. I don't know exactly how many watts it uses, but estimate it's costing us at least $25 a month.'"

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Of course, YMMV. If you're a big computer geek like me, then that computer probably still uses the most energy of everything in your place. So many people want to see the US gain some energy independence, but part of that equation should be people willing to turn down their power usage so we can use some alternative energy sources like solar and wind power. Oh, and hey, using more efficient appliances will cost less in the long run!

PS Yeah, I know that I'm only perpetuating the slashdot culture of not RTFA'ing, but the blurb does a pretty good job itself, so I'm not going to feel too guilty over this.

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 10:32 PM
link   
I don’t know about the dryer, but where I live, I am pretty certain it’s the air conditioner that runs up most of my bill. I cannot imagine that the refrigerator is much better.

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 10:32 PM
link   
I have something to add.

After spending the weekend Painting my living room, and dining room a darker color. I have to say that your paint choices can effect your energy consumption.

It's pretty obvious why..Lighter paint, more reflectivity..less illumination required. DOH!..

I turn two lamps on, where I could get away with one before..

MBF

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 09:36 PM
link   
The water heater uses a good bit of power. I think each element uses 4500 watts and most have two elements.

MBF

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Check out this link. It has some good info.

LINK

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 10:01 PM
link   
We converted to energy saving bulbs and I'm a notorius natural light freak.

I suppose, in our case, the computers are the biggest drains - they go almost 24-7.

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 11:12 PM
link   
As I sit here typing a reply to your post most of the place is shut down and I'm the only one awake. There are no other lights on other than a desk lamp beside me and some LED Christmas lights I put up around the window. My lighting has to be the least of my power consumption because I like to live in the dark.

I'm sure my fridge sucks up a bit of power, and I do like to cook, so the stove and oven must eat up the electricity to a fair degree. And the dishwasher being run on a daily basis adds to my bill.
So my kitchen draws a fair bit of power over a month.

But I'm sure it's the computers and televisions that are eating the most energy in my place.
I have two computers running on my desk right now, but I also have two TV screens going, a security camera screen, DVD player, amplifier, and VCR.

A lot of other items are also sucking up a bit of electricity in the house. Things that drain small amounts, but they all add up.
The clock on the microwave needs power even when the microwave isn't being used. The same goes for all the phones with displays on them, they suck a bit of juice even when not in use.

Then I think of all the chargers in the house for things like cell phones, cordless phone, power tools, lap tops, etc.....

We're a power hungry society and I see very little incentive to reduce my consumption of electricity.

EDIT: My electric bill comes every two months and is about $160.00 CDN.
So for about $80.00 dollars a month I get to play with all my toys and run my house. It seems like a good deal to me, and most of it is from nuclear power plants and a small percentage from coal fired plants.

[edit on 19/12/2006 by anxietydisorder]

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 09:52 AM
link   
$160 CDN? Wow. You're going to hate me my Canadian friend, I get my electricity for free with my rent... and yeah, I'm guilty, I suck as much power from these sockets as I can get my hands on... much of it is used in my little experiments... which btw, the tesla coil is still not working. I need a new multimeter before I do any more to it.

A new oscilloscope would be nice for christmas... anyone?

top topics

join