It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Experiment with Mantras...Volunteers Needed

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 01:08 PM
link   
An extra benifit to chanting a mantra that I have found is, I rarely get colds or the flu anymore, if I am diligent in my practice. I am convinced that with the proper focus, other illness or conditions can be cured; not just in ourselves but in our loved ones. I know this borders on mystisism but I urge my fellow meditators to try it. Mind over matter....maybe....

Namaste

posted on Jan, 24 2007 @ 04:37 PM
link   
mind over matter I hope...since I'm working on that theory now

had a great weekend and monday, but not feeling too good yesterday and today.

other than that, subconsciously I know the time to start my practice without even looking at a clock...getting to become a regular routine now with no extra effort involved. I look forward to my half an hour of peace

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 10:00 AM
link   
I failed my own experiment
I missed a day and now have to start over.

How are you guys doing? Still managing to keep it consecutive daily repititions?

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Skipping a day is no big deal as the foundation has already been laid. Just pick up the ritual where you left off. There are no hard and fast rules. Meditation is more akin to Art, than to a Competition.

My extra meditation time is showing results mainly manifested deeper serenity and tolerance around people that try and push my buttons at every opportunity.

Namaste

[edit on 30-1-2007 by whaaa]

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Well I have been on the dot everyday, doing my mantra.

Actually I am finding myself reciting it during the day and even at night
!!!!!!!!

I am feeling better that I have in years, I am not back to routine exercises and with a renew purpose.

I love it.!!!!!!

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I started up again today after I missed yesterday (I still don't know where the time when
)

the purpose of the consecutive 30-40 day period is that I've been told on many occasions and also by experience
that it is harder to achieve than as it may seem. I've made it all the way to 28 days before messing up. I've never made the 30 or even 40 day mark and I guess with the purpose of this experiment I'm trying to also see if this is a personal hurdle or a more enigmatic/spiritual hurdle for all.

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Hi everyone! It's good to see everyone checking in and Marge! How wonderful for you! I'm so happy for you!

Here's what's happened in my life over the past week. I got into some negative energy and negative thinking and coincidently, I "forgot" to do my mantras... I missed 2 days, I think. The next day, I started again with a renewed spirit, but since I was still wallowing in this negative energy, I "forgot" again that night. Finally, I decided to let the negative stuff go and I haven't missed a session and all the negative energy is gone.

My lesson I'm taking away from this is that the reciting of the mantras and negative energy cannot peacefully coexist. If one is happening, the other gets pushed into the background. So my goal is to focus on the mantras and the balance and centeredness I feel when I'm doing it and let the negativity die from neglect.

Om Sri Rama Jaya Rama, Jaya, Jaya Rama!

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I've failed again. The weekends are getting in my way. I think I need to change the time of the day that I do my practice because on the weekends, that time is never convenient for me.

I'm considering waking up earlier just to schedule in the practice.

I have to admit that I am feeling better, more positive and well many things are just falling into place for me...so yeah I definitely want to continue, I just need to get it right.

how are you guys doing?

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I failed, too.

As I said before, the negative and the positive in one aspect of my life won't coexist and I let the negative win. Bah! Silly me!

I started again this morning. I learned that my 30-year-old nephew died last night. My sister's only child. We're ok, but very sad and as you can imagine, I'm realizing (again) what's important in life.

It's important to stay positive and to let love flow in and out of me as much as possible. Negativity blocks that flow quicker than anything.

So I renew my commitment to practicing the mantra.

[edit on 13-2-2007 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 09:39 AM
link   
my sincerest condolences to you and yours BH.

it was always seems like when you're finally on the right path, every obstacle is thrown in your way to get you off track. All we can we really do is have faith and persist. Stay strong and stay positive my friend for those who need you now.

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Sorry BH....

I can't remember when I have missed my daily ritual.

I always start my day with chanting. Sometimes when I'm still in bed, sometimes when I am doing my morning routine.

One of my old Roshi's recomended "working Zen", a practice where you chant, meditate while doing ordinary tasks. I now fall into this practice unconsiously. Do not practice "working Zen" while driving or doing anything else that needs full concentration, because needless to say you tend to zone out.

Depending on my evening activities I may miss my structured ritual, however chanting myself to sleep with a "thank you" prayer tossed in for good measure works well for me.

Never castigate yourself for missing a session. In Zen, just living life is it's own sweet meditation, as long as you are aware of the flow between the Rocks and the gentle glides and happy riffels.

Namaste

Peace and Love
Whaaa

[edit on 13-2-2007 by whaaa]

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
Sometimes when I'm still in bed, sometimes when I am doing my morning routine.
chanting myself to sleep
Never castigate yourself for missing a session.

Thanks for these important words.
I will use them in the future, I'm sure.

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Well I am glad to see that you people are honest about reporting that you have been missing the mantras, is ok, life is always full of surprises and unexpected problems.

I am so use to meditation that I have not problem with my ritual like Whaaa.

I am still having my mantras everyday during the day and specially at night, I have made them a nightly ritual.

I am feeling great, all the negativity is in the back burner for now, I am back to my old self, with energy and my health routine of exercising.

I have changed my diet drastically, I have been for 4 weeks now with low cholesterol, low fat and low sodium, my husband is enjoying the my new cooking and we are seen the results on getting both lean and having compliments about it.

I have to honestly say that life is good.

I am sorry that BH and your Worldwatcher has missed your routine . . . but never give up and just keep trying.

It works!!!!!!!!

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 06:21 PM
link   

For Abundance, Prosperity, Wealth: Shrim (shreem) seed mantra associated with the Goddess Lakshmi who provides wealth, health and prosperity.

(I realise this is a very old thread, but thought it'd be more useful to resuscitate it rather than opening a new one.)

I have no doubts whatsoever about the (re)creative power of sound.
I do have certain doubts regarding its relation to the language in question itself, but more on that some other time.

My main question at this particular point - and please, forgive my naivety - is this:

If chanting this mantra ("shrim") provides wealth - and considering the fact that even WE (in Europe and the USA, among other places) know about it... why are there so many desperately destitute people in India (among other places where Hinduism is also well rooted)?

The only answer I can see at this point (besides the possibility of it simply not working at any level, of course) would be that there has to be something else involved - perhaps a specific religious belief?
(The mention of Lakshmi alone seems to indicate just that; but practically every text I've read about mantras affirms that Hindu beliefs are NOT at all essential to the practice.)

It cannot be just belief in its efficacy, because I am sure many of those destitute people (yes, they are abstract, but I doubt they would be purely "hypothetical") have at least the same degree of belief in its efficacy as any of us. And besides, that would mean it is bogus in a sense; or at least there would be no need of singling this particular mantra as the bringer of abundance.

I really don't know; but I do think it's a question that deserves to be discussed.

[edit on 15-4-2008 by Vanitas]

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by worldwatcher

Sorry, but you couldn't pay me to do something like that now. There was a time when I thought that would have been cool, but no longer.

All I can tell you is, that MANTRAS can enable a connection to a place you know nothing of. Just like I'll never mess with a Ouija board for the same reason.

May I suggest you watch; [ I bought the series to study and learn, he knows his stuff and gives examples throughout the series ]

video.google.ca...
moving the masses
video.google.ca...

and related to that is this; [ I bought the whole series as well ]

video.google.ca...

Best wishes!

[edit on 15-4-2008 by toasted]

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by toasted

I certainly appreciate any personal input.

Would you mind telling more about your experiences?
(And I DO understand if you'd rather not.)

P.S. And thank you for the links!
(Music, sounds and their effect are one of my pet subjects.)

[edit on 15-4-2008 by Vanitas]

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Vanitas

Thanks for your comment, however my experience is only limited to an understanding, gained by viewing the videos I've linked.

The closest I've ever got was "flying in my dreams", but it was purely spontaneous, and there were no mantras involved.

I too, prior to what I now understand, may have scoffed at my comments here, but only out of a lack of understanding.

I haven't been able to find anything in text that is similar to the videos.

this is a description of the DVD set where I got my understanding from.

" Brian Neumann's Complete Music Series:
*BONUS* Receive Brian's PROMO DVD FREE when you order the complete set.

#401 - The Language of Music (Music as a language) #402 - The Primitive Heart (History of Music #403 - The Mind of the Machine (Popular Music Scene - Interviews, live footage) #404 - Moving the Masses-Part 1 (Philosophy of the Christian music scene) #405 - Moving the Masses-Part 2 (Philosophy of the Christian music scene) #406 - Words to the Wise (A Study into the Bible and Music) #407 - A Change of Mind (Choosing good music) #408 - Personal Testimony (Brian Neumann's Life Story) #409 - PROMO Video (Exclusive video clips of Brian's Rock Music career with a general introduction to the Music Series. 82min) "

I hope that helps.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by toasted

Besides my mantra, I also pray Christian prayers. Is God so shallow that praising his glory only works in a Christian context?

Perhaps you should help us with the proper method to pray/praise, being as how you seem to have a greater spiritual acuity than the rest of us.

I might add that the spiritual arrogance of Christians is precisely the reason I choose to expand my awareness on religion, faith and spirituality.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

" Is God so shallow that praising his glory only works in a Christian context? "

I couldn't say. All I know is, people who do that, subject themselves to unknown spirits. It depends on the tempo and rythm.

But instead of scoffing, [ which I really don't have a problem with. ] why not take some time to view whatever vids of his that are posted, and then make up your own mind, instead of commenting on what you just choose to not believe?

I don't want you to believe me, I want you to check it out.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Hello ! I am new to this, well i say new, i have been trying different methods of meditation and my mind is like a child. very hard to settle down and i get frustrated. For Christmas this year i was going to treat myself to some Mala beads. I the main i was looking for such a thread was for this question.

Is there a list of certain Mantra's ? or is it just the repetition of a singular word and focus?

If its ok, Id like to also join you guys and girls on this Experiment, I have the journal and calendars ready to keep track haha. cheers.

To recap, the start day for the experiment is 15th Jan 2012?

Just re-read the thread. ive missed it !

still, could anyone answer my original question?

On another note Ive had quite a few lucid dreams as of late. I believe its down to the amount of time you set aside to meditate in whatever way you feel natural, and certain songs/music aid the experience. Also a stress free life style where you do not worry about troubles and tribulations of the daily life.
The way i see it is, with all the crap that is going on with our world, Be it fear mongering stories, to your family bitching over what the nabour is doing wrong in their life's, its all trivial experiences, They get in the way of finding inner peace, anything that will draw your attention away isn't good.

My life is pretty simple. Ex electricain, no job, (due to unemployment in UK) currently back at home with my mum, i don't drink alcohol as much as everyone else, i smoke Mary-jane but not all the time. i do chores around the house and my day is full filling. i go to bed with a clear mind and i think of being awake in my dreams.

It takes Monks years of peaceful practice to achieve what we are all trying to do. I tell myself after a no result night/week/month its ok, it takes time, do not stress over it. when your ready it'll come. This relaxed attitude, I feel has given me better results than ive ever had.

Ive been flying around quite a lot !
my next step is to sit down and chat with a spirit guide or my inner self. I am no master at getting to that state tho.

sorry ive rambled on a bit, just hope some of my experiences will enlighten some of you.
edit on 12/21/2011 by Kriltosthe2nd because: Re-read of thread.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join