It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Experiment with Mantras...Volunteers Needed

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Good luck with the experiment folks. It reminds me of the early days of my AP/RV experiments when I started out with something similar using affirmations.

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Ideas.....

I highly recommend getting one of those cheap little monthly planners or a calendar to serve as daily reminder. The biggest problem with this type of experiment and with mantra chanting in general is having the commitment not to miss any days. Personal experience always has me slipping up somewhere after the 25th day and it's never intentional, things just happen and somehow the day passed without me noticing that I hadn't said my mantras.

Also I think it would be a good idea to have all the participants check in daily to the thread during the 40 days as another way to remind ourselves of our mantra experiment.

As for documenting any changes, etc, I like to keep a journal. First I declare my intentions and goals, then only document any really good or bad days or experiences I have.

Many goals are personal and are not meant to be shared on an internet forum. So participants keep your real and personal goals to yourself.
Don't limit it to a specific goal as in the example, pour your heart out, ask for all the changes in your life that you want, be it love, health, money or something totally altruistic.
Fictious Example of a journal:

Day 1
Goals: I would like to see improvements in several aspects of my life, but most importantly in my career.....
Mantra Selected: Aum
Repitition: 8 times twice a day

Day 9
Having a bad day, physically ill, why is I am the only one that knows anything there. Every little problem and them come to me....blah blah..blah

Day 15
I finally told the boss how I felt and well while he didn't promise me anything, he seemed receptive and understanding.....blah blah blah

Day 23
I went on a date today. he was really nice........blah blah blah

Day 27
I got to change my hours from the 9 to 5 to a 7 to 3pm switch. This is great, I get to be home early.... blah blah..blah

Day 35
Tom is so nice, we've went out several times .... blah blah blah... I saw Carol, she works for ABC Inc now... blah blah blah..

Day 40
Experiment over. Still working at the same crummy job, but actually it's not so bad now, with the 7-3 shift I don't have to deal as much with so and so. And honestly I haven't been thinking about work so much because of Tom.....blah blah blah

Day 67
You wouldn't believe this, but since I saw Carol that day, we've stayed in touch and her company was hiring and well I just got a job at ABC Inc ....blah blah blah many this mantra thing worked after all

Now the above is just a crazy example of what your journal could look like, however there is no rhyme or reason to it, if you feel like documenting your life daily, once a week, or just whenever you feel like, just do it.

Next post, we talk a bit more about the actual process involved in mantra chanting. Do you need to meditate first? Can you say it anywhere? etc etc. So if you have questions... just let me know.

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 04:06 PM
link   
just a reminder to those who had said they wanted to participate in this experiment....we're close to the 15th

new volunteers are also welcome.

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I'm going to do this one:

Om Sri Rama Jaya Rama, Jaya, Jaya Rama

Rough Translation: 'Om and Victory to Rama (the self within), victory, victory to Rama.'

8 times twice a day

from this page:

Mantras for beginners.

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Thanks for bringing back the thread, I am ready to start on the 15.

I am using a healing mantra.

Thanks BH for the link.

[edit on 12-1-2007 by marg6043]

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Two more days till "mantra day"

I will continue with my usual mantra "nam myho renge kyo"

I have found this to be an all purpose mantra, but especially useful for filling an inside straight.

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Started today!
Just wanted to check in and remind others that today is the day to start your mantra.

I feel excited and hopeful.

I've had some health problems recently and I'm hoping to feel healthier and more energetic.

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Hello? *knock knock knock* Am I the only one in here?

This is day four and one observation is that as I start the mantra, I can be uptight, nervous or scattered and by about the 5th time through, I'm totally relaxed and really 'feeling' the tones and resonance of the mantra in my body. It's quite calming and cool. An unexpected pleasure.

If I'm the only one doing this, I'll discontinue posting here but I am going to continue the chanting because whether it's a placebo or not, I love the way I feel when doing it.

Thanks for the idea, DTOM.

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I am here and keeping up with the schedule I am doing a healing mantra but after cleaning my kitchen yesterday and the unseasonal pollen I am not feeling very clear headed right now.:Lil:

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher

Can we do it?
Does it work?
Does the type of mantra matter?
How much commitment/belief is required?

Interesting idea. Yes we can do it. Yes it does work, but here is the real question what are you hoping to achieve with this and what does the individual hope to achieve with doing such? From my own experience, alot of commitment and belief helps, because if you do not believe, then any effects will be very small to the perspective of the viewer. Mantra's help put the mind at ease and to align the energies of the person. What you have mentioned is alot of the Hindu beliefs and then there are the buddhist mantras as well.

Peace

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 09:15 AM
link   
very sorry you guys for not replying sooner, I attempted to but rl has had me super busy. Everything that could possibly distract me from starting this experiment has been thrown at me and sadly to say I wasn't able to start on the 15th.

Don't worry though, it's never too late to start, I'll just count my time from now. I started my experiment today. I have chosen two mantras...
Ganesha mantra 108x once a day- for personal obstacles in my life... such as overcoming smoking.
Gayatri mantra -8x twice a day- for whatever the forces of be feel I should get, no specific intention or goal on my part here.

[edit on 1-18-2007 by worldwatcher]

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Oh, I am enjoying the Om mani padme hum, I got a chinese version of it in beatiful song that I can play also during the day.

From this side.

www.buddhanet.net...

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Ooooh Worldwatcher....

just like you (and you're the starter of the thread so i dont feel sooOoo bad
) i forgot, and only remembered to day.

If you dont mind me asking for some "guidance" as it were, any tips on how to 'choose' a mantra? I could read EVERY thing you've linked, but only if it will help me choose. (im basically just wondering if you have any experience with this, enough to summerise the best Mantras for desired effect).

And is there anyway i could find real "pronunciation" on the web, i'm very sure that sound and "tone" has alot to do with the true power of chanting/mantras etc.

Any advice would be really appreciated as i would like to start to night

cheers

Anomic

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 10:31 AM
link   
guess what you will have to read the links provided in the first page. There you'll find mantras, their meanings, pronounciations and more.

Choose a mantra that appeals to you either by sound or by the desired goal you have. U2 me if you get stuck on choosing one

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I shall, thanx Worldwatcher.

i'll go and read them now, and post later how i get on. Good idea for a thread. i look forward to participating and reading others experiences.

bye for now

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I too have rededicated myself to a more strict schedule of chanting.
I suppose I'm a closet Buddist as the Mantra I have been using for over 20 years still brings me peace. It is a Buddist chant.

I always start my day with a short medition/chant of thankfulness.

Since the 15th, I have added an evening medition with prayer beads with the focus of awareness.

Even with the current world situation; I enjoy a level of tranquility and calm; Most of the time.

Namaste

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 04:06 PM
link   
As I mentioned yesterday, I wasn't able to start the experiment on the 15th, because of RL issues...figured it was good to briefly talk about them because I feel that "forces that be" purposedly tried to distract me and prevent me from dedicating myself to this experiment. And it's not just mantra practice I feel that I am being distracted from, up until the holidays I practiced yoga and meditating as a regular routine, but since thanksgiving, I've been dismissing it, even though I know I shouldn't. One excuse after another, too busy, too tired, it's christmas, it's my birthday, it's his birthday, we're going out, etc. etc.

I started my mantras yesterday morning and repeated last night, I also returned to my regular routine of 20 minute yoga and 10 minute meditation. I woke up today feeling less anxious and a little looser, thanks to the yoga. My trades worked out this morning and I recovered my losses. I did my mantras for today. Nothing else has changed, the kids are still fighting, etc. etc. etc. but somehow today I feel I can tolerate it and deal with whatever comes my way.

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Well I started with the reciting of the mantra as pre planned, but only just reciting them and worrying about my pronunciation

For some reason I got out of the stupor of the holidays and got into a very surprising early spring cleaning and got all the clutter out of my kitchen.

Today I was able to do the mantra in a yoga lotus position and with the beautiful background Chinese music and my mantra recited musically, I actually felt an exhilaration and a beautiful feeling or well being and lightness.

To my surprise my visualization was also as beautiful and found myself feeling like floating on a cloud surrounded by light and white petals falling on me in a very beautiful garden.

So I found my inner spot and I feel that is worth it and hopefuly will work for me.

I will be sharing my experiences with you all.

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Just checking in to say that I'm glad I'm not the only one doing this
and to make a couple notes on my progress.

I'm actually feeling more calm, centered and peaceful these days. I'm not so easily distracted from my center by what's going on in the world around me, either locally or globally.

I can't speak to my energy level directly just yet (which is what I'm working on) but I ran and played in the snow yesterday twice and I seem to be sleeping better and arising earlier (I don't set an alarm) and feeling more rested. So maybe it's having an effect. I figure the 'centering' is a precursor to the energy work.

We've been snowed in for a few days and my husband is just now making the first attempt to traverse our lane on his motorcycle. This should be interesting. He's also doing the mantra experiment.

Later...

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I have to say also that I am having all my energy back, I am more happy and I find myself reciting the matra during the day a lot.

Oh, the mood swings are gone.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join