It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Experiment with Mantras...Volunteers Needed

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 11:46 AM
link   
excellent choice of mantra. It's a personal favorite of mine and I believe that I have experienced success with it.

Pronounciation.... and here is where I might differ from some of the experts or pandits. I don't believe you have to say it perfectly as if in your native tongue to achieve the benefits, nor do I believe that it has to be the basis of your religion to work. The majority of my experience with chanting mantras has been done silently and I focus on each word in my mind as I recite, since it is not always practical for me to walk around chanting out loud.

Om (pronounced either A-u-m or Ommm)
Gum (same as in english)
Ganapataye (ga-na-pat- tay)
Namah (na-ma)

I would definitely recommend either the 8 or 108 repititions for this particular mantra, however my experience with this mantra has been to chant it whenever I felt like it.

When chanting the mantra, instead of focusing on the Hindu god Ganesh, if rather get into the religious aspect of it, think of what the elephant headed god stands. My visualization with this mantra is usually of a immense elephant in it natural setting, clearing and moving trees which I tend to see as my individual obstacle or problem that I having.

now depending on how many times you choose to recite the mantra, a mala, rosary or some sort of counting aid might be helpful. And while many Hindus merchants and pandits will try to sell you on the benefits of various malas, I have strung my own beads together and have found no difference. My spiritual advisor who happens to use and prescribe various types of malas has even admitted to me that it isn't really the beads, but the intention and count that matters.

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I'll likely go for 108 and my daughter has graciously loaned me her prayer beads (she's buddhist).

I usually have more than enough time in the evenings to commit to the mantra.

So I'm good to go. Thanks for the encouragement it will be, hopefully a great experience.

If nothing else a great way to relax. Win - win.

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 01:06 PM
link   
That was going to be my next question, the visualization, as with any type of meditation is very important.

I have become very good with that part of meditation, I can visualize with no problems at all.

WorldWatcher when you have time I love to see what mantras you recommend for healing.

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher

oh and participants definitely have to document their mindset, issues, etc before, during and after the experiment.

[edit on 12-11-2006 by worldwatcher]

I am very comfortable in adapting my daily practice to the 108 but a few more specifics on the above would be helpful.

Peace
W

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I'm in!!!

The problem will be keeping myself to that 40 days, but I'm in!

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Count me in, too! January 15 sounds great.

I'll need help with a mantra. The issue I'd like to address is my energy. You know I have a new puppy
and lately, I feel like I have no energy at all. I feel drained with nothing left over for myself. So I would like to have more energy.

Any ideas for a mantra for me? I would like to do it 8 times.

Thank you for doing this, WW! What a great idea!

Edit: Maybe I should work on spelling.

[edit on 12-12-2006 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Found this one... kinda weird/out there. So, what the hell.. should be interesting.

The Planet Saturn: Om Sri Shanaishwaraya Swaha

Rough translation: 'Om and salutations to the presiding spirit in the planet Saturn.'

Saturn is the planet of lessons. It is closely related to the karma we may encounter in a given lifetime. It also stands as a gatekeeper to some of the higher vibrations to which we aspire though spiritual development. By offering salutations outwardly, one clears certain internal obstructing energy patterns. But Saturn has received an overly negative reputation from some astrologers. There have been circumstances where very positive things manifested in people's lives unexpectedly, apparently as a direct result of working with this mantra.

Internally, Saturn energy is predominant in the spleen, knees and skeletal system. However, as Saturn moves through the various astrological signs, it 'triggers' karma we may have stored under astrological configurations found in that sign. Therefore, the use of the Saturn mantra can mitigate and even clear certain categories of karma which appear in our lives. This mantra has been used with great success personally. And I have received reports of its efficacy from many other people.

sanskritmantra.com...

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I may try a freeform English mantra (like "get organized" or some such) but for the nonce, I've chosen the Wisdom mantra. The gods know I need it.

On the topic of belief, etc, yes, belief comes into it... or at least not hostility to the idea. A Christian could choose a Biblical mantra...but that wouldn't work for a Wiccan.

There's a boatload of evidence that they do work and a lot of books are based on this, from Napoleon Hill's THINK AND GROW RICH to Emile Coue's methods. Western methods are not as spiritual as Eastern... to me, the Eastern ones focus on entering a trance. The Western do not.

(link to Coue, for the curious: www.emilecoue.com... )

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I would love to participate in this little experiment using Hindu and Buddhist mantras.

Anyone out there a bit more educated in this area then myself: I ask for help finding one that deals with raising ones frequency. Something to that degree would be wonderful.

Or

I wouldn't mind one to focus on energy (over this winter break I am going to be working hpysical labor for about 50 hours a week).

Thank you for all help you can give.

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Mantra Recommendations and visualizations, however visualize whatever you feel comfortable with and what feels right... imo there is no real right or wrong in prayers or mantras, just good and bad intentions:

For general well being, awareness, enlightment and a wide variety of positive benefits and for anyone who have no specific problem to work on, I highly recommend the most sacred mantra for both Hindus and Buddhists. Om or Aum This mantra is also very simple to say and there should be no worries with pronunciation. When chanting this mantra, I visualize the Aum/Om symbol. This mantra is considered a seed mantra...since it commonly used in other lengthier mantras. Many mantras start and end with Aum.

In addition to the more ambigious Aum, which is basically the sound of man and god, you could try something like Soham which means I am that I am and is another mantra for enlightenment

If you would like a little more of a challenge and are also seeking general overall improvement, especially in several aspects of your life, I would recommend another highly revered mantra by the Hindus and Buddhists is called the Gayatri Mantra. It said to help balance your chakras and commonly used for enlightment.
Om bhur bhuva svaha (Aum burr boova sue-wah)
Thath savithur varenyum (tat sav-it-toor va-rain-yum)
Bhargo devasya dheemahi (bar-go dave-ah-sah dee-ma-he)
Dhiyo yonaha prachodayath (dee-yo yo-nah pra-cho-die-yah)

This is basically a prayer to supreme god and to the sun. I visualize all encompassing light when chanting this mantra, kind of like a day at the beach when the sun is rising and no one else is around and you feel the full glory of the sun...that sort of imagery. It roughly translates to "O thou existence Absolute, Creator of the three dimensions, we contemplate upon thy divine light. May He stimulate our intellect and bestow upon us true knowledge"

The most commonly used Buddhist mantra is Om Mani Padme Hum (Aum Mah nee pad may hum)
This mantra is also use for general improvement in all aspects of life and for spiritual enlightenment.

For Abundance, Prosperity, Wealth: Shrim (shreem) seed mantra associated with the Goddess Lakshmi who provides wealth, health and prosperity. You can chant just the seed sound or you can extend the mantra and choose one directly to the goddess....whatever you're comfortable Aum Shri Maha Lakshmi Namah (Aum Shree Mah-hah Lak-shme Nah-mah) I visualize a red lotus flower with this mantra, you can do the same or look up an image of the goddess Lakshmi

For Knowledge, memory, educational endeavors: The seed mantra is Aim (Eye-mmm) This mantra is associated with the goddess Swarswati, her full mantra is Aum Shri Maha Swarswati Namah Here I visualize a white lotus flower, or again you can look up the image of the goddess swarswati.

As mentioned earlier, the Ganesha mantra is a very popular and powerful mantra for moving all sorts of obstacles from life. Ganesha also grants prosperity and abundance, but he is more commonly known as the remover of obstacles, so anyone with a variety of personal issues could use his mantra of Aum Gum Ganapataye Namah

marg and others unsure of what to use, try reading and saying these mantras, see which one feels best for you or pick one that you think speaks to you. There are hundreds of mantras and after I feed my family I'll be back with some chakra mantras that don't have any god or goddess attachment with them. Since some of you are experiencing health issues, chakra meditation and mantra chanting might be a better option than one to the traditional hindu or buddhists gods.

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Thanks WorldWatcher, I believe that the balancing of chakras is important for the mantra to work.

Also the visualization of the sun and the beach is something I have done before for relaxation so that I can incorporate with my mantra because I am familiar with.

I am getting an idea of what to do with all the nice information and ideas you have given, I think I will be ready in time.

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

oh and participants definitely have to document their mindset, issues, etc before, during and after the experiment.

[edit on 12-11-2006 by worldwatcher]

I am very comfortable in adapting my daily practice to the 108 but a few more specifics on the above would be helpful.

Peace
W

well in order for us to know if there are any benefits to mantra chanting, I think we need document how we feel emotionally and physically before we start our mantra experiment. I'm thinking if maybe daily or even weekly the participants provide an update stating if they've achieved their daily goals of mantra chanting and if there are any noticeable changes to their lives.

I have experience with chanting mantras and one of my biggest issues was and still is that I cannot complete the full 40 days without missing a day. Usually by the time I get halfway thru the 40 days, life circumstances always seem to come up that cause my mind to stray and I skip a day or feel I don't have enough time to my mantras. Now without documentation, I might say mantras don't work and just give up, but looking at my journal, I've noticed that I tend to make excuses for myself and there isn't any real reason as to why I suddenly stop or give up on the mantras. Documenting these feelings, changes etc, I think will help grow and understand who and what is really to be blamed for our shortcomings.

This experiment, while it seems easy on the surface is a rather hard thing to accomplish, numerous people have stated that "something" always tries to detracts them from achieving the goals, another reason why I feel a group effort, with support might make it easier to accomplish.

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 06:03 PM
link   
here is a full list of the chakra mantras and what each represent.
however a word of advice to anyone planning to work on their chakras for this experiment, work on all your chakras, especially the root chakra before proceeding higher.

home.xtra.co.nz...

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 06:06 PM
link   

The most commonly used Buddhist mantra is Om Mani Padme Hum (Aum Mah nee pad may hum)

I'm going to use this one as it's the one I'm most familiar with and I need a general boost.

Thank you SO much, WW for the work you've put into this already!

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I'm interested as well.

How will the results be reported.

What mantra will be choosen?

I'll try to keep up with this post.

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Please count me in on this ... Seems like something that would really be cool (See my signature).

As I have been out of work since July of this year, I think I'd like to do one that relates to economic well being. I'm not so mercenary as to do one simply for money, but is there one that, more or less, fits my needs?
If someone can help with this request, please feel free to u2u or email me.
I believe this sort of thing works, I've just never seen it get organized before, and so I await the start and results with great anticipation.

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Please count me in on this ... Seems like something that would really be cool (See my signature).

As I have been out of work since July of this year, I think I'd like to do one that relates to economic well being. I'm not so mercenary as to do one simply for money, but is there one that, more or less, fits my needs?
If someone can help with this request, please feel free to u2u or email me.
I believe this sort of thing works, I've just never seen it get organized before, and so I await the start and results with great anticipation.

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Thanks for the list on the Chakras, I think that I will do some Chakras exercise to be ready for the Mantras, after all it will be easy to incorporate it on my exercises.

I think I will work with the Yam but I still need to get more familiar with the Mantras.

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I'm going to use the Western/ADHD/Skeptic's path, here -- starting out with simply listening to the chants and reflecting (briefly) on what they symbolize. I'm starting with the Six Words And Great Compassion MP3.

I do have a collection of electronic/trance music that I have tweaked for special purposes (energizing, focusing, etc) so my approach will be to listen to the MP3's (as I drive, as background to tasks) and what I hope to achieve is more mental focus (my mind is a hard-driving engine that charges out in search of new knowledge with a restless intensity. Unfortunately, it's also an easily fascinated mind that gets distracted with shiny toys and all.) I've always been like that.

I don't expect to change totally, but I would like the restlessness to be directed into staying on focus.

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I'll sign up also... Will check this thread content soon.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join