It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Experiment with Mantras...Volunteers Needed

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Greetings and Salutations

Need change in your life? Maybe you're just bored? Got some free time for an experiment?

I would like to propose the following "paranormal" experiment in which volunteers document in this forum, they're experiences with mantra chanting.

What are mantras?
Well they are ancient vedic words, sounds and phrases that are said to have special vibrations which can help you connect directly to the cosmos.
Read more about mantras here:
www.sanatansociety.org...
and here
www.sanskritmantra.com...
and here
www.rudraksha-ratna.com...
and here
www.siddham.org...

Now in order to participate in this experiment, you have to be willing to commit 40 days of your time, starting on a date participants will help decide in January of 2007. You will choose your mantra or I can assist in selecting one, in order to change, enhance or influence any aspect of your life that you wish, you will have to disclose the particular aspect, issue or problem you are working on changing. As a participant, you will have to chant your mantra for a preselected number of times daily for forty days and document any positive changes or enlightenment that may be achieved or experienced.

Participants can choose from vedic mantras, personal written mantras or mantras of any religion of your choice, however I would prefer participants willing to try the vedic, beej sound mantras, which are usually one word mantras. The experiment will be to see if we can prove any of the following after the 40 day period:

Can we do it?
Does it work?
Does the type of mantra matter?
How much commitment/belief is required?

also any suggestions or how we can make this experiment a reality would be appreciated...

game??

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Excellent idea, WW. I've always found mantric meditiation to be powerful in attuning our energies. I'd be willing to give this a go.. give me a few days to select one though, there are litterally hundreds.

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Sign me up Worldwatcher.

I have been chanting now for many years.
I'm willing to change Mantras for your experiment.

Is my previous experience ok or a hinderance?

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 05:54 PM
link   
The Power of Positive thinking..great idea.

If I may expand a bit on this potential experiment?

It would be better to have folks choose only one mantra. The only difference should be believer/on the fence/non-believer. All other conditions should be the same to get a relatively truthful account of how effective mantras are.

I'm definitely game...lord knows I have things I'd like to see change and most problems start with the self

Let me know if I can help in anyway to get it rolling.

People should be taking a daily tally also and making notes on anything different in their line of thinking or attitude/behavior during the experiment phase...

There should also be a starting point...current attitudes, philosophies, problem area they want to address and why they believe they are having the problem. And whether they believe a mantra may help...why and why not. Just so there is a way to measure the effectiveness...

I practice cognitive skill building (nearly daily...I get lazy sometimes) to help combat my anxiety and it has done wonders...formerly trapped in my house unable to go out for nearly six years (without a friend or escape plan) and NOW I can go to packed malls with little or no anxiety...

Mantras aren't that different from what I practice...so I figure why not? Can't hurt?

Great idea...will be pleased to help and/or participate.

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Count me in WW. I'm determined to quit smoking once and for all over the xmas break from uni and would be happy to combine that with your experiment...could you suggest a mantra I can use?

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 06:24 PM
link   
awesome
the more the merrier.

Well what do you guys think, just one mantra for the experiment, we can select the univeral, all encompassing sound of Aum??

or

by need, specific mantras for specific causes or whatever the participant is comfortable with??

I'm thinking starting this project anytime in January, I'll be free of all obligations and partying
after the 4th.

previous experience with mantra chanting is definitely welcome, as well as suggestions and any other advice to give experiment some sort of control.

oh and participants definitely have to document their mindset, issues, etc before, during and after the experiment.

[edit on 12-11-2006 by worldwatcher]

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 08:03 PM
link   
I have never worked with mantras before but I am willing to give my time to this little experiment.

If my lack of experience is a problem just let me know.

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 08:23 PM
link   
no experience required.

btw, participants will have to select the number of repititions they would like to chant their selected mantras.

Choose something that is manageable to you. I have selected the commonly prescribed repititions that most pandits, swamis and gurus use for you to choose from.

8 times a day
8 times twice a day
108 times a day
108 times twice a day
or for anyone unable to commit to an exact number.... as many times as you can per day.

also to those already volunteering, spend some time looking over the links and familiarizing yourself with the concept and practice of mantras. and any questions...ask

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 08:50 PM
link   
i haven't even read the links you posted yet, this is just a quick post to say i would be extremely pleased to take part in this experiment.

Mantra chanting is something i've wanted to get into for a while now.
At the start of hearing about chanting etc. (and i think this is the same for alot of people), you tend to think... "how on earth can chanting a few sounds and phrases effect me in anyway"?

But its only the research (for personal interest) i've done into Cymatics, (the study of acoustic dynamics and structure), that has fused my belief as to why there is actually something in it.

I could write for HOURS, but i shan't for ease of reading.

A few interesting things:

In HIBURU, (very early "root" language of hebrew, and possibly all others as well), the "symbol" for the "A" vowl is a wavey circle with a perfect smaller circle in the centre....This is EXACTLY the same as the shape formed of the "A" vowl in cymatic studies.
They obviously KNEW about this....when they supposedly could barely invisage the use of a wheel.

The Kings chamber in the great pyramid is tuned perfectly to the mathematically correct key of "A", which is 438 cycles....NOT 440 cycles as it was change to in the 1800s because Oprah singers were tearing their vocal chords on that note..(such is the power of sound/wave energy).
And the Coffer in the Great Pyramid is tuned to the human heart...(every organ in the body has its own frequency).

So THEY obvioulsy knew the importence of acoustic resonance.

And finally (otherwise this'll be TOO long and NO one will read it), Waves/energy/sound and light are effectively the same thing, just differing in the mediums in which they propogate.

Looking at waves:
The frequencies of light of various colors can be expressed in
terms of musical notes, but there is not a visible color for every
note, because an octave represents a doubling in frequency, and the
highest frequency of light our eyes can see is not quite twice the
lowest frequency.
We can see light from about 4.3 E14 to 7.5 E14 Hz. (7.5 E14 means 750000000000000 where 'E' means "to the power of" or 7.5^14). The frequency of middle C is 262 Hz,so the frequency of the C 41 octaves above middle C is 262 * 2^41 = 5.8 E14, which is the frequency of green light.
So if we could hear green, it would be a C. The highest frequency we can see (7.5 E14 Hz)is between E and F 41 octaves above the E and F above middle C. The lowest frequency we can see (4.3 E14 Hz) is the G 40 octaves above the G above middle C. So the colors would go like this:

G (196): deep crimson (4.31 E14)
G#(208): red-orange (4.57 E14)
A (220): orange (4.84 E14)
A#(233): yellow (5.12 E14)
B (247): yellow-green (5.43 E14)
C (262): green (5.75 E14)
C#(277): turquois (6.10 E14)
D (294): blue (6.46 E14)
D#(311): blue-purple (6.84 E14)
E (329): violet (7.25 E14)

And F and F# are not visible.

After each note is its frequency (for the G below middle C up to the E
above it), and after each color the corresponding frequency 41 octaves
higher.

So from here we can see that the universe has laid down the laws of wave mechanics, and it is only our minds that gouvern our perception as to how we experience these frequencies in their mediums.

Anyway, i'm really sorry for waffleing on....the long and short of this post is just to say that i shall be taking part in your experiment, and also would like to Thank you for applauding my earlier post in

What is the point of Psychic / Paranormal powers?

Felt like a nice welcome to the site (only been registered for 3wks or so)

Anyway, im gonna go check out yer links.

See Ya

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 08:41 AM
link   
*Ahem*

Woops, did i like..kill the thread

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 08:56 AM
link   
I'm in.

It's been a while, and your experiment is a great motivator.

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Count me in as well. I've always wanted to take up mantras and see for myself if they work. This will give me a reason to finally do it.

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 09:24 AM
link   
lovely

let's start the process of selecting a date to begin the experiment. January 15th??

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anomic of Nihilism

G (196): deep crimson (4.31 E14)
G#(208): red-orange (4.57 E14)
A (220): orange (4.84 E14)
A#(233): yellow (5.12 E14)
B (247): yellow-green (5.43 E14)
C (262): green (5.75 E14)
C#(277): turquois (6.10 E14)
D (294): blue (6.46 E14)
D#(311): blue-purple (6.84 E14)
E (329): violet (7.25 E14)

And F and F# are not visible.

See Ya

That's very cool, the same colors as the chakras. The points where the energy body joins the physical. Tuorquois is the new chakra developing between the heart (green) and the throat (blue), it's the love for all the world one.

I like the the mantra study. A little motivation to elevate the frequency.

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I volunteer. This sounds like a great idea for an experiment.
Also, I am wondering about past experience, because I sure have enough of that.
In addition, does the type of mantra matter? I would say it does, because every mantra has certain connotations for the person who uses it.
It's an excellent idea, however. ^_^

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Jan 15th sounds good...you mentioned a forty day commitment - that sees us completing this on February 23rd 2007

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 10:19 AM
link   
You have made my day Girl, I am all for it.

I need something that can help with health related issues.

I am willing to try anything but shots on my spine right now.

I am keeping a log right on a health related issue so it will be no problem doing this.

Are we going to need a log?

BTW I am all for Indian food right now and is in my everyday diet for its health benefits.

[edit on 12-12-2006 by marg6043]

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 10:30 AM
link   
marg I'll do some research and select a few choices of the best mantras for your needs. Are you opposed to Hindu or Buddhist mantras? Or would you prefer to use vedic chakra mantras? Or do you prefer to chose a favorite psalm or prayer from the bible?

and definitely we'll be keeping a log, hopefully a more extended personal version and a briefer one here for the experiment.

and on a side note, regarding indian food and back problems, split pea soup or dahl as we call it, along with long soaks in epsom salts should help alleviate some of the discomfort.

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
marg I'll do some research and select a few choices of the best mantras for your needs. Are you opposed to Hindu or Buddhist mantras? Or would you prefer to use vedic chakra mantras? Or do you prefer to chose a favorite psalm or prayer from the bible?

I have not problem with anything you want to help with, I am open for anything, But I will love to see the Hindu and Buddhist mantras, I am listening to one now from the links you gave me and I love it.

www.siddham.org...

This one is for the body, I will love to be able to recite the words too.

and on a side note, regarding Indian food and back problems, split pea soup or dahl as we call it, along with long soaks in epsom salts should help alleviate some of the discomfort.

Thanks, I have been ordering Indian food from the internet and I actually love the rich flavor and because is mostly vegetarian and I can chose low sodium and preservative free, I hope, I am all for it.

My problem is neck related, my doctor thinks I have arthritis but she needs to do some more test.

Also blood pressure and cholesterol, but right now you gave me something to star with.

BTW I am only half vegetarian.

[edit on 12-12-2006 by marg6043]

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I think I'm ready. If you can think of a better mantra WW I'm open to suggestions

Obstacles. It seems that for every step forward I make I find myself four steps behind. The obstacles are in part created by me and in part just normal life events that happen...often I find myself getting stuck. It's frustrating and undermining of all that I've worked so hard for.

My confidence wains and I lose focus. If I can be more open to opportunities and create more balance and more continuity...rather than these jumps and starts followed by periods of static...

It's kind of like being in a moving vehicle and suddenly hitting a brick wall that just appeared out of nowhere.

I chose the "Ganesha: Om Gum Ganapatayei Namaha" mantra. How important is pronunciation? Tone?

I am a believer in the power of the mind/mantras...but I have not one iota of religious piousness in me. Spiritually I'm fairly rooted and have faith not attributed to deities

My goal is to have less obstacles in my way, whether it's me who's created them or someone/something else. Just a more consistent flow...

Looking forward to putting this to use.

Like I said if you know of a more suitable mantra, feel free to point me in the right direction.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join