It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PS 3 or X Box 360???

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 04:48 AM
link   
hehe PS3 are selling so well
that.... Sony confirm PS3 price cut and 80GB model.

From immediate effect, Sony Computer Entertainment America has confirmed that price of the 60GB PS3 model will be slashed by $100 in the US. The price cut is said to be due to the drop in component costs and 'production efficiencies' of Blu-Ray.

Also confirmed is a new 80GB model which will available at retail on August for a suggested price of $599/$659 and will be sold with a copy of MotorStorm

"As we move into the next phase of PS3, it’s important that we continue to evaluate our product line, offering consumers the technology and features that meet their growing needs for new forms of media and the way in which it is delivered," said Jack Tretton, president and CEO of SCEA. "The introduction of the 80GB PS3, the new pricing for the current 60GB model, the availability of more than 100 new software titles this fiscal year and, finally, the expansion of services for PLAYSTATION Network, will provide even more options for users and will help bring new consumers into the PS3 fold."

Both the 80GB and 60GB PS3 models come standard with Cell Broadband Engine (Cell/B.E.), Blu-ray Disc (BD) player, built-in HDD, 1080p high-definition output, Wi-Fi connectivity and SIXAXIS wireless controller. Sony are yet to announce a price drop in Europe.

Edit: regarding the price cut: ""Our initial expectation is that sales should double at a minimum," said Sony Entertainment America chief executive Jack Tretton."

The PS3 in the UK and Europe i think are priced so much higher than any other country that i think Sony make $20 profit on any sold so they are not loosing anything in UK or Europe on costs for making the console.

[edit on 9-7-2007 by blobby]

[edit on 9-7-2007 by blobby]

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 01:07 PM
link   
In other news, the 3 year warranty for the 360 has boosted sales on Amazon alone by some 6700% yes, 6 thousand percent increase in sales.

the race is on lol

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Oh goodie, 360's are gonna drop in price soon then.
Hopefully they'll drop the price in time for GTA 4.

[edit on 9-7-2007 by sardion2000]

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 02:29 PM
link   
360 needs that new warranty... what with the 33% failure rate.

ps3, 1% failure rate. and if it's broken just wait a few days patiently, it just starts working again (true story, happened to me)

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
360 needs that new warranty... what with the 33% failure rate.

ps3, 1% failure rate. and if it's broken just wait a few days patiently, it just starts working again (true story, happened to me)

Atleast Microsoft actually gave us the new warranty. When my PS2 broke four times, they gave me nothing but a 90 day warranty, and those DRE's were a major issue during the first few years of life. Sony refused to even acknowledge theyre existance, it took losing a class action lawsuit for them to change theyre warranty issues :T

I'm actually impressed that Microsoft admitted to it, and is willing to compensate for it.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by WolfofWar
I'm actually impressed that Microsoft admitted to it, and is willing to compensate for it.

But are they gonna get the problems fixed permanently???
Thats what I wanna know.

See i'm still deciding what to get, Better graphics on PS3 (apparently) But how much better?
Also why do they keep upping the GB? Doesn't that seem a bit unfair to the peeps who spent loads when it first came out?
Now peeps can get more for less.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chukkles
But are they gonna get the problems fixed permanently???
Thats what I wanna know.

They're working on fixing it, infact, they're implementing new parts by then end of this year. They already put in a new cooling system (one of the issues) and are putting on new x-clamps. by the end of the year, the problem should be fixed.

See i'm still deciding what to get, Better graphics on PS3 (apparently) But how much better?

Theyre not better. The 360 actually has a Better Graphics Processing Unit. What the PS3 has as its advantage is its better processors, which means that if they were used properly you'll have some mean ability to crunch numbers for physics and AI control. Its just a shame that sony screwed it up and locked each processor into very menial tasks, making it impossible for devs to use them for anything of use. Basically, the ps3 is one giant Sony *@&# up.

It doesnt have enough ram, it doesnt have that great of a graphics card (it cant do vibrant colors or high contrasts, everythings washed out because of it) and its awesome processors are confined.

Also why do they keep upping the GB? Doesn't that seem a bit unfair to the peeps who spent loads when it first came out?
Now peeps can get more for less.

Because people like modding theyre systems and story copyrighted material on them, so people complain, and the designers ablige and make bigger harddrives.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 06:53 PM
link   
You've helped me out there, see I was maybe gonna go for the PS3 but with your info right there I think you may have sold it to me.
I'll just bide my time, GTA4's not out for 3 months, see if they get it sorted.

Thanks to Sardion and Yourself, Wolfofwar I think I know what I will get.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Microsoft puts out shoddy hardware and then eventually caves to the pressure of complaints and extends the warranty and people are saying that's good service?

That's a new one. It's more like good PR. It's ok...support the evil empire.

As for some of the other comments I read about no good wifi games for PS3 and so on obviously doesn't own one. I've been online gaming a lot with it.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeddicusZulZorander
Microsoft puts out shoddy hardware and then eventually caves to the pressure of complaints and extends the warranty and people are saying that's good service?

Compared to Sony putting out a shoddy product (the infamous DRE disaster of the PS2) and not giving ANY extended warranties or even a wink of acknowledgement untill they lost a lawsuit? I'd say Microsoft are giving excellent service. They had an issue, theyre trying to resolve it. It's the same for most electronics. No electronic is safe from the potential of issues. Microsoft was striken by it, and they're doing everything in they're power to resolve it. And they've accomadate the inconvienance by now Two refunds of payments, and two warranty extensions. More then you can say about there rivals (looking at you ipod)

As for some of the other comments I read about no good wifi games for PS3 and so on obviously doesn't own one. I've been online gaming a lot with it.

A person that's played on the ps3 online and felt that its online service was good hasn't been on xbox live yet.

I wouldn't say its an abysmal failure, its definitely a step up from the PS2s online functionality. But overall, its still basically like a headless chicken. All uncentralized and lacking strong functionality.

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by WolfofWar
A person that's played on the ps3 online and felt that its online service was good hasn't been on xbox live yet.

I wouldn't say its an abysmal failure, its definitely a step up from the PS2s online functionality. But overall, its still basically like a headless chicken. All uncentralized and lacking strong functionality.

I have been on Xbox live. Wasn't like I had a religious experience or anything.

Man, people are fanatical about this stuff.

The bottom line is pick something and be happy. In my case, mine was a birthday present so what are you going to do, right? I think both systems have big positives and big negatives. Personally, I gamed on my PS2 perfectly fine for 4 years (and online for free) and enjoyed it, so I was a Sony fan. I did want a few games that were exclusive so I bought a used Xbox for $20 and to this day, it's a great machine.

Such is life. I will say though that I do enjoy what I have.

ps) I'm still suprised of the Microsoft love. Ever have a Windows problem and try and get support?

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Eidos will be holding back their major PS3 titles until the console reaches a stage where it's installed into 8 million or more homes. Speaking to MCV, Eidos chief financial officer Rob Murphy believes that the figure will be achieved by April next year and only then will they unleash their big products.

“We have absolutely no doubt that PS3 will be a very successful platform and we’re completely behind it,” Murphy told the website. “Ideally, we would like to have a market that is a worldwide installed base of eight to ten million PS3 units by the time we bring out our big products. But we’ll have to assess how that moves.”

“We will have some PS3 products over the coming months, but we’re holding back our major top line products until this time next year.”

It won't be particularly good news for Sony, who will be keen to get all of the major developers producing their best titles to boost PS3 sales, but they also need to look at producing more first party titles, which analysts claim is "the key driver of console sales" if they hope to hit their target figure for 2007.

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Konami just announced this morning that Metal Gear Solid 4 may be heading to other platforms (i.e Xbox 360.) in order to recoop the costs of the games development.

Not looking good sony

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Microsoft Plays Up Family Appeal of Xbox.

SANTA MONICA, Calif., July 10. As Microsoft executives played down the impact of an extensive repair program for defective Xbox 360 game machines, they announced several efforts to broaden the appeal of their machine to families.

Opening the annual E3 game conference here, Microsoft executives announced a deal to distribute films from the Walt Disney Company on Microsoft’s Xbox Live Internet service and outlined a broader array of games focused mostly on children and families.

Executives predicted that the company’s recently announced plan to spend up to $1.15 billion to fix defective Xbox 360 game machine would improve, not undermine, the system’s image with consumers.

So is this a typical case of shutting the stable after the horses have bolted? Advantage PS-3.

Cheers!

www.nytimes.com...

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 09:58 AM
link   
And oh yes! Here's more!

Thursday, July 12, 2007. After a blockbuster launch of its Wii console and its ongoing dominance in the portable game market with its mobile DS handheld game console, the company that brought the world Mario and Zelda is now the company that others are trying to catch.

Neither Microsoft nor Sony is making money in the game industry, since both are selling their consoles at below cost in their attempt to boost interest. Nintendo, meanwhile, which introduced the $249 Wii six months ago, can barely keep up with demand for the profitable product.

Read the full report here

Back to square one again! Oh Hmmm..! Again? :bnghd:

Cheers!

[edit on 12-7-2007 by mikesingh]

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Nintendo's strategy is simply making a profit on every sale they make. They've been doing this since the SNES days and they will continue to do it long after XBox and Playstation brands are a memory.

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 03:47 AM
link   
SONY Europe PS3 are making a profit for every if any PS3 sold they make about $20-30 PURE profit as it costs so much more than Japan or USA and is the cheapest version to make as well.

No price cut for Euro PS3 console

Sony is not cutting the price of the PlayStation 3 in Europe, but will offer free games and accessories instead.

There is also no word of plans for an 80GB version of the console in Europe.

Last week Sony said it would drop the US price of the 60GB PS3 by $100 (£50), and introduced a new 80GB version at the original price of $599 (£300).

In Europe gamers will get a "starter pack" at an unchanged price of £425 for the 60GB machine, with two games and two controllers included.

The new pack was announced at the E3 games conference in Santa Monica, in California. Sony says it is offering gamers £115 worth of added games and controller, for no extra charge.

But the firm could face criticism from gamers for deciding not to reduce the price of the 60GB PS3 and not announcing the 80GB machine.

Earlier this week, Jack Tretton, chief executive of Sony Computer Entertainment America, said he thought the US price cut would at least "double" the sales of PS3 in the country.

In the UK, the PlayStation 3 remains £125 more expensive than the equivalent Xbox 360 bundle of console and games and £225 more expensive than the Nintendo Wii with two games.

LOL thats really going to sell in Europe NOT!

who cares 2 free games and an extra controller wow yippee woo doo theres only like 5 games worth having on the PS3 at moment any way.

Euro gamers wanted a price cut cause i sure know i am not buying a PS3 till it drops to £299.99, i would muse on buying one if it was £330 maybe and i would have to think hard on that, BUT to keep price at £420 and chuck in 2 free games and an extra controller stinks and you know what Sony would still make a profit on the Euro PS3 as its still same price.

Meanwhile i have bought an Xbox Premium and am very happy with it, also i notice the Xbox Elite due in Europe 24th August and i notice price seems to be set at various game sellers £330 but that could change as its not official announced a price for it yet, so that means the Xbox 360 Core and Premiums will DROP in price to make way for the Elite

i paid £230 for my Xbox 360 Premium so i am happy as i got mine £50 cheaper anyway.

Lots of game companys saying they not going to be making games on PS3 till theres a bigger user base Eidos, Square/Enix, and i think Capcom and even Konami are having doubts about PS3 cause their games cost lots to make and PS3 has small user base compared to Xbox 360, Konami the other day even said that Metal Gear Solid 4 might come to Xbox 360 to help recoup money in making the game as it doesnt look like its going to make a huge enough profit on PS3 alone.

i also suspect in 3 years time there will be a Xbox 720 which will make PS3 look sad, so PS3 life span could be short one, also backwards compat with the 720 would be fine as it would use an ATI again, only reason the 360 was not back compat so much was Xbox 1 used an Nvidea and Xbox 360 used an ATI due to legal reasons it made back compat hard as it needed to be emulated instead.

Another thing the PS3 has less memory than an Xbox 360 and i suspect the Xbox 360 can keep up with PS3 quite easy as the Xbox has larger memory and better gfx chip and 3 dual cores i think.

As for the red ring of death on Xbox 360 i suspect MS extended the warranty to 3 years for this reason when and it will most likely happen some time in the 3 years of owning an existing xbox 360 it does have the red ring of death and you send it away for repair i suspect MS will swap out old and put new fixed whatever in console, i suspect newer consoles will not get the red death thing only older ones so making it 3 years will allow MS to fix all the older models and bring them back upto date with the newer fixed models.

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 04:33 AM
link   
Konami: PS3 price cut too little, Metal Gear exclusivity in doubt.

Kitaue doubts sales will improve significantly

Konami believes that the USD 100 price cut of the PlayStation 3 won't significantly improve sales of the home console and as a result the latest Metal Gear Solid title may not remain exclusive to the format.

"I wonder if Sony can win back user support by the price cut of just $100," said Kazumi Kitaue, head of Konami's North American and European operations, speaking to Reuters.

"I don't expect a substantial impact... With $500, you can buy a personal computer," he said.

Although the latest title in Konami's leading action franchise Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots is currently a PlayStation 3 exclusive, Kitaue indicated that the company may consider releasing it on other formats to help recoup development costs.

"Since Metal Gear was born on the PlayStation, we would like to keep it a PlayStation game. But we might have to take some steps," he said.

Capcom CFO: Another PS3 Price Cut Imminent.

According to a story in Reuters, Capcom's Chief Financial Officer Kazuhiko Abe thinks that another price cut for the PS3 is coming by the end of the year. This would follow the $100 price cut for the system announced on Monday. Abe also noted that sales of Resident Evil 4 Wii are likely to exceed the target of 420,000 for the fiscal year.

"The number of PS2 users is still growing and a shift to the PS3 is on the back burner," said Abe. "But, the price has been cut once and it is likely to be cut again towards the end of the year. I expect the (PS3's) installed base to grow gradually."

[edit on 13-7-2007 by blobby]

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Technically the PS3 pricecut isn't even a price cut.

When the system launched there was a 20gb and a 40gb system, $500 and $600 respectively.

They got rid of the smaller version, and dropped the 40gb systems price down, and put out a new ps3 thats 80gb thats $600.

Basically they just did the old swaparoo.

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I hope MGS comes to 360 as that game looks sweet because as it stands now, the PS3 will have to be cut by at least another 200 bucks for the 80 gig for me to even consider purchasing it, and even then I'd rather spend the money on a 360 or some good Rollerblades.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join