It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PS 3 or X Box 360???

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by whargoul

I bought a PS3 yesterday along with Resistance, (came with Motostorm), and a few BluRay movies. The main reason was as a BluRay player. So my experience with the PS3 isnt that much, but so far when it comes to the games and graphics I see no difference.

That said I agree with pretty much everything you said except the backwards compatibility part, PS3 is backwards compatible with pretty much ever PS1 and PS2 game, while the 360 uses emulation so they have to add support for the games. Problem is only the big sellers are backwards compatible, but the games that are run great.

What I hate most about the PS3 is the Dual Shock style pad. They were great back in the day, but all modern games use the analog stick and the 360 pads have them in just the right spot. If Sony swapped the left stick with the D-pad it would help alot, but the way things are the 360 pad is hands the better of the two.

All that said when I do use the PS3 it'll be to watch BluRay movies or play a ps1 or ps2 game once in a blue moon.

*I've gotta add that I'm on my 4th 360. 1st - the dvd rom died, 2 and 3 red ring of death. But since they extended the warranty to 3 years you really dont have to worry too much about it, and they are also moving to a 65nm process that will cut the temps down and should resolve this issue for good. Newer Halo edition console SKU's are using the 65nm chips now, a google search should tell you the lot numbers too look for. I'd try to find one of these for sure.

[edit on 10/12/2007 by Xodiac]

posted on Oct, 13 2007 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I downloaded the demo for skate on 360 and ps3 and found the 360 version to be far superior. The PS3 suffered from frame rate issues, aliasing problems, and what appeared to be a total lack of anisotropic filtering. I did a google search for side by side comparisons and found this.

www.gamespot.com...

Some of the games (like Fight Night) had alot more time in development on PS3 so you would think they would have made improvments over the 360, but that wasnt the case.

Sony does an great job at selling the hype for playstation consoles but I was pretty supprised to see the 360 destroy the PS3 like this.

posted on Oct, 13 2007 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikesingh
Now can some gaming geek advise me which to buy? A PS 3 or an X Box 360?
What I'm looking at is:

> Graphics.
> Ease of handling.
> The price.
> Availability of titles.
> Backward compatibility.
> Looks.

I believe the greenbacks one has to shell out for a PS 3 is more than a ride aboard the Soyuz for a weeks vacation on the ISS??

First, the price drop on the PS3 added to the the increase of the Elite 360 price flipped around the 'price wars' ... PS3 is cheaper with more stuff.

I own a 360. I warn you against it. I made the mistake.

It has backwards compatibility, though not everything. I can play Shenmue II, the only XBox title I have.

It looks ok, I have a faceplate, the chrome trim is ok. I prefer the shiny black of the PS3.

Decent amount of titles ... if you like FPS. Not a big fan. I think something like 80 arcade titles, but, most aren't worth the cost.

I was impressed with the controller. I very much like it. Compatible with the PC, though I haven't tried it yet on any PC games. The buttons were a little squeaky at first. The wireless works flawlessly, but the batteries can drain fast.

The graphics are ok. most titles in 720p ... some in 1080i ... a few in 1080p. Gears of War looked awesome, Oblivion looks ok. Nice but not mindblowing. Mine is at 1280? x 768 on a 1440x900 LCD 19" using VGA cables.

The console has a tendency to freeze up occasionally. it does it more when it has been running a while, indicative of the internals getting overheated. I have heard excuses for the 360 that you should only play it for a hour or so at a time, keep it ventilated and a fan on it. Lots of crazy restrictions ... to me, for the price, it should run as long as I want with no problems as long as the vents are open to air. It is a shame you have to baby the thing and it still gives problems. In contrast, I had left my PS2 on for months at a time with games running, or with dvds running. I would go to work with them on and just the tv shut off, never a problem with overheating, and, the console still works to this day.

Speaking of PS2, its DVD interface is much better than the 360. I can't program the DVD, which sounds pointless, but, some discs I have play only an episode at a time, and with 15 minute episodes, that can get bothersome on the 360 (esp. ATHF v.4)

Overall, 360 is ok. I would have been better with a PS3, but, if you like FPS and online play ... its faults may be acceptable. If I didn't have all the oblivion dlc and spent microsoft points, I would ditch the system, it isn't for me.

it comes down to what you like and your previous gen catalog.

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 12:53 AM
link   
i'm a die hard P.C. player... in my opinion.... with the right set up.. nothing can come close to the power of a game rig.

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 07:57 PM
link   
To make this quick, I spend a lot of time reading up on all things video game related. If anyone here is looking for advice on which console to buy, here it is. Buy an Xbox 360. Im not about to write a book about why, but to be quick to the point and skipping everything else, xbox Live + Xbox360 game library = Buy a 360. I really do know what Im talking about. Take it or leave it, but Im not about to try to explain everything I know. Xbox 360 is the only choice for a gamer, hardcore or casual. Again, this is coming from someone who really does know. Iv spent more time researching this topic then most people.
Oh and btw, reading the first two replys to this thread made me luagh out loud.

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I don't have a ps3 or 360, but I think the ps3 would be better, but more pricey. I would have to go with ps3 because their graphics look a little better (to me.) An Xbox 360 is less pricey by about a hundred bucks, so if you can't afford the ps3, go for the Xbox 360 or wait and save up.

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 11:14 AM
link   
The PS3 is no longer more pricey ... It had a price drop ... along with 360 releasing a more expensive version.

360 doesn't come with a HD-DVD player, add $200. It comes with no HD for the cheap version (20 GB $100) Premium with a 20 GB HD unless you buy the elite to get the 120 GB.

PS3 comes with at least a 20 GB HD, and 60 GB for the upper one. Both are Blu-Ray.

360 you have to pay for the online multiplayer. PS3 is free. If you are not someone who plays online multiplayer, XBox Live silver is free.

PS3 is better at backwards compatibility with all of its games. 360 is game by game.

PS3 IS the slightly superior product, this coming from a 360 owner ... and I HAVE done a lot of reading. the poster a couple up is making empty statements. I am making statements on experience ... I also have a friend that owns a PS3 and I see and experience the difference between the consoles.

They are relatively close overall. They each have an advantage in certain things. But since the price drop, PS3 is the better value by far.

360 is for Halo-type-game people (FPS) ... PS3 has some titles like that, but it came out later and its inventory is expanding.

Don't get caught up in fanboyism and hype. Get which one caters to your personal gaming habits.

But I warn you ... the 360 has issues with overheating even at 720p, frame rate problems, freezing ... and I have it open with a fan blowing on it. They have had a lot of 3 lights of death, and even on the xbox boards people complaining about going through multiple returns ... and you don't have a console in interim. I have never had a PS1 or PS2 break down on me and very rarely has one frozen.

If I could recoup the $1500 or so I have invested in my 360, I would trade in a heart beat for the Sony. Biggest mistake by trying it out. I will probably get a PS3 and make these two my last consoles. Not as much of a gamer as I was 25 years ago.

If you do want the best gaming experience though ... PC is where it is at, if you can afford a high end graphics card, processor and memory.

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by FreeThinkerIdealist
PS3 IS the slightly superior product, this coming from a 360 owner ... and I HAVE done a lot of reading. the poster a couple up is making empty statements. I am making statements on experience ... I also have a friend that owns a PS3 and I see and experience the difference between the consoles.
Look buddy, I dont have a problem with your opinon. But, just so you know, I have played ps3 numerous times, I have friends and family who own it. They regret buying it now. Everyone I know that owns a ps3 regrets buying it.
My statements are somewhat empty, because like I said, I dont really want to spend a lot of time listing all my reasons for choosing the 360 over ps3. Like I said, I have researched this topic to death. I am a very satisfied 360 owner. I originally was gonna buy a ps3 but I bought the 360 instead because I couldnt wait any longer to play the next gen.
But honestly, the only bad thing you can really say about the 360 is the technical problems. I got mine shortly after the release and mine has never given me any problems. Its froze a few times and thats it. By now, two years later, if you buy a 360, its a pretty sure thing you wont have any serious problems, and with the extended warranty its nothing to worry about.
As far as graphics go, its pretty even between the two with current games. Furture games, yea the ps3 will probably look better overall. But really, 360 graphics are good enough.
As far as the online service, you get what you pay for. Honestly you cant argue that. Ps3 will have home eventually and it looks neat. And they do a good job with their free online for the most part. But, xbox live is much better. Its not even expensive either, I mean what is it, 50 60 bucks for a year? For example, and correct me if Im wrong, but doesnt the ps3 lack leaderboards and such for all but their most popular games?. Little things like that we take for granted on xbox live.
The most important thing is games right? Well, hands down 360 got that in the bag. And Im not talking about Halo. Honestly, I didnt even like Halo 3 that much. Im more of a gears of war guy. As of right now, the 360 has a much bigger libary of games and much better games. The 360 is already a proven system. The ps3 isnt.

You know what, Im gonna stop here because theres just so much ground to cover.
How bout this, You pick a category, graphics, games, online, pricing whatever, explain your arguement and Ill reply.

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 01:04 PM
link   
It's pretty simple.

If you WANT to use your console to surf the web, and watch HD movies, get the ps3. it's your best bet for an affordable blu-ray player for your 1080p HDTV, and its a nice home media setup.

If you want to play video games, get the xbox 360.

It has more games, better controls, the best online support available, and the brightest future for exclusive games coming out. Also, given that the PRO version is still significantly cheaper then the ps3, it's still a better deal, unless you really care about getting a 120gb harddrive.

Plus, if you don't care about blu-ray, your being forced to buy it with the ps3, a format that you don't get the full potential out of, unless your media centers the top of the knotch, meaning your wasting money.

posted on Oct, 22 2007 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by KINGOFPAIN
i'm a die hard P.C. player... in my opinion.... with the right set up.. nothing can come close to the power of a game rig.

I don't think that anyone anywhere would argue this point (not even the most die hard fanboi from either side). The argument is in the cost factor... I have talked to some people that ONLY buy old PC games, because the upgrade costs are becoming so exorbitant they have totally given up trying to game "...with the right set up..."! As an old school pc gamer I didn't bat an eye droping 500 buck on a PS3, because I knew that would be the last time I would ever have to do that again.

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I bought my PS3 on the day of release in the UK, the reason behind it was that I was a PS1 and 2 owner already so Sony and the PS3 would do me no wrong.

Spent the money and have got a half price blueray player with the next gen games console bolted on, happy boy me, do I worry about the lack of high end games out there for the PS3, nope.

Come April next year when the PS3 has had 12 months release in the UK and over 24 months worldwide then I will be swimming in a plethora of high end games.

Still playing Motorstorm, Oblivion and Resistance, in fact these games demand more time than I can actually give and therefore have not looked at any other games yet for the magical black shiny beast.

PS3 will rise to the top through 2008.

Wolfie

posted on Oct, 27 2007 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I already have a high end computer (Intel Dual Core Processor) why would I want to surf the web on a TV? I had WebTV at one point in time in my life, and every other webbased product has failed to deliver the kind of resolution you need to view webpages on a TV.

As for the games, well, I admit that if you are only into FPSs and Racing games then the 360 is definantely the system for you although Microsoft has done admirably in increasing the scope of their gaming catalogue.

As for High Def, I can simply buy the 179 dollar hd drive if I wanted to watch high def movies.

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I still have to choose what console I go for. 360 is above PS3 in my mind as it has been for a while, but now the PS3 has had a bit of a run where does everyone else stand now???

My friend raves about his PS3 but is finding that some of his games are boring. I don't see too much difference between the graphics but the 360 feels so much smoother, does anyone else find that???

If I were to go and buy a 360 tomorrow what would the chances be of it breaking down in the near future???

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Chukkles

Hey, Chuckkles! Well, your questions have already been answered in this thread that's now almost as long as the darn Nile!!

Hmmmm....Answered somewhat, I should say. You'd find some excellent arguments for and against both systems including the Wii.

WARNING: After going through this thread, you'll probably be back to where you started!!

Cheers!

[edit on 15-11-2007 by mikesingh]

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chukkles
I still have to choose what console I go for. 360 is above PS3 in my mind as it has been for a while, but now the PS3 has had a bit of a run where does everyone else stand now???

My friend raves about his PS3 but is finding that some of his games are boring. I don't see too much difference between the graphics but the 360 feels so much smoother, does anyone else find that???

If I were to go and buy a 360 tomorrow what would the chances be of it breaking down in the near future???

I've had my 360 since launch, and my PS3 for about a month now... I think your pretty dead on.
I do really like the PS3, it is a very nice system (even better if you own a PSP), but if I had to chose between the two I would pick the 360 hands down. Cross platform games for the most part look and play better on the 360, some of the PS3 exclusive games are very good (warhark, Ratchet, motorstorm) but the 360 has more exclusives that are just as good.

I wouldnt worry too much about the 360 breaking down, they have a 3 year warranty, worst case you have to do without for a couple weeks. If you get a PS3 you'll need to buy that coverage, I dont remember how long the PS3 warranty is, but I'm pretty sure it's less than one year.

I dont think the PS3 is really having much of a run, they failed to move 200k units in North America in October after a $100 price cut on the 80GB model and the introduction of the 40GB @ $399, as well as the launch of a "system mover" like Ratchet and Clank. The 360 will crush the PS3 this holiday season. I'd say they'll out sell them close to 3-1.

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by mikesingh

I would only need one reason to pick 360 over PS3... Mass Effect

www.youtube.com...

posted on Nov, 17 2007 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Well...

360=33% POS rating. That's right, 3 of every ten has broken. Why MS extended the warrenty. It also costs more, has less options, and fewer games. It also has fewer HD DVD titles then BLU Ray titles have. Also has worse backwards compatibility and no way to transfer saved files

Wii=11% POS Rating. So 1.1 out of every 10 is a busted POS. No extended warrenty yet. Also Nintendo has been caught red handed holding back Wii releases to keep prices up. Also has the fewest games, has second worst backwards compatibility and worst graphics and is a game machine only.(WIth some web browsing but really who does that?) Also the whole smashed TV problem that led to a 3.2million recall...

PS3=.2% POS Rating. That's right, less than 1 out of every 10 is broken. Cheper then 360, thousands of more games as it is 100% backwards compatible and more power, more options, and more Blu Ray titles compared to HD DVD. I have three Blu Ray movies and when I went shopping at Wal Mart was amazed by what they had. Didn't even know the first two Pirate Movies were on Blu Ray or Chicago or several others. HD DVD? Had about 8 titles, Blu Ray close to 2 dozen. Also both video renting chains I go to only have Blu Ray, no HD DVD.

So, buy 2-3 360s at a higher cost, or a Wii and a new TV, or a PS3... Also, the original Xbox is awesome, still have mine for Fable and H2. Why upgrade when so far the 360 has just been broken piece of plastic after borken piece of plastic? Sold my PS2 since it still worked fine after about 5 years of hard use, thousands of hours on FFVII, X, X2, racing, Madden, Spiderman1,2 so forth.

posted on Nov, 17 2007 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by HHH Is King

I dont even know where to start pointing out the innaccuracies in this post. This could have been cut and pasted from the playstation forums.

All anyone needs to do is look at two things in this post and decide if you should believe anything this guy said.

1. The 360 costs more than the PS3. and
2. The PS3 has more games than the 360. (fact is there are over 3/1 more 360 games, but that should be expected the system had a one year head start)

posted on Nov, 17 2007 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xodiac
reply to post by HHH Is King

I dont even know where to start pointing out the innaccuracies in this post. This could have been cut and pasted from the playstation forums.

All anyone needs to do is look at two things in this post and decide if you should believe anything this guy said.

1. The 360 costs more than the PS3. and
2. The PS3 has more games than the 360. (fact is there are over 3/1 more 360 games, but that should be expected the system had a one year head start)

PS3=399
360Pro=500

Also, PS3 has PS1, PS2, and PS3 games, so it has thousands of games to choose from. 360 has 360 and what 20-30 Xbox games that work, so a hundred at most. In other words, you don't know jack!

Also, that 500 is only for one. As MS has already admitted 33% are busted POS you will have to buy 2-4 of them, so actually...

PS3=399
360Pro=1500

[edit on 17-11-2007 by HHH Is King]

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 03:56 AM
link   
Had my 360 for nearly a year with no troubles at all.In N.Z no ps3 released here had proper backward compatibility and none on new machines.Also over here the 360 is still alot cheaper than ps3.Hell of alot more games for 360 as everyone knows.I suppose this is a bit of a rant against sony coz they screwed Australasia pretty hard.I used to be a sony fan and previously being a salesman turned me off their products.Plus the rep was a toss.Dont think I'm a microsoft fan either but i do think 360 is better value.Cant comment on wii but i know a couple of friends that own them and they rave about them.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join