It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PS 3 or X Box 360???

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Lol.

So Sony has just come out today, to announce that it will be discontinuing its 60 gb, discounted PS3 (the now $500.00 version) by the end of the month, and just keeping the 80gb ($600.00) version.

So....There was no price cut? or just for a limited time? WTF is sony doing? I can't tell if this is the dumbest thing ever, or the most genius thing ever.

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 12:53 PM
link   
WTF... WTF Indeed...

I still don't get how these tiers are priced considering the price difference of hard drives. 80 Gigs is nothing nowadays and most people I know are getting drives in the hundreds of gigs... the same goes for XBox too...

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I predict the following price structure before XMas '07.

360 Core: 199
Wii: 249
360 Premium: 299
360 Elite: 399
PS3 60 Gig(while supplies last): 499
PS3 80 Gig: 599

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 10:05 AM
link   
The PS3 is a very good console and it does have a lot of potential. However, the same is true of the XBox360. Neither console is being utilised anywhere near it's potential.

Which is the better console? It depends how you analyse the figures. The PS3 has a faster processing set-up on paper and runs a lot cooler than the XBox processor but the XBox processor has a much better and well thought out architecture so the two are pretty much neck-a-neck in terms of real "speed" and processing power... also note that the PS3 is stifled and crippled by too little L1 and L2 cache memory to utilise the floating points effectively so will only ever realise 70% of the hardware potential.

Much has been made of the better RAM in a PS3 but they're both GDDR3 RAM units and the XBox has double.

The graphics processing units are again an interesting comparison. The XBox 360 has a faster overall transfer rate for GPU than the PS3 but the PS3 has better potential for smoothness due to no bottlenecking on the designated RAM (the 10MB buffer for the XBox 360 will prove a slight choke on performance as the consoles mature) - although the anti-aliasing and lighting ability from a handling point of view are quite frankly pathetic on the PS3 - no amount of firmware updates will solve that sadly. Please also note that Gears of War, which Sony claims utilises the entirety of the 360's power doesn't - it only uses around 45% of the consoles potential as it's very cleverly written and designed.

The Blue Ray drive is a massive plus - for Microsoft to only plump for a 12x DVD ROM drive was a bad move. Although more than fast enough for transferring data to the system (both this speed drive and the Blue Ray drive have a similar data transfer rate at top speed), I would have liked to have seen at least a 20x to increase load times, which are really poor on the PS3.

Microsoft have suffered for pushing it out when only 90% complete (note the overheating problems that are posted frequently although I've never had the problem) but Sony have suffered for trying to be "cutting edge" but cutting corners, the specs suggest a paper tiger but Sony have compromised certain aspects of the console to facilitate not making too much of a loss by providing a Blu-Ray drive and this will come back to bite them hard, as will the fact the XBox architecture is much more designer friendly and easier to optimise.

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 05:12 PM
link   
You people are overanalyzing things. The best console is the one with the most best games and that console is ALWAYS the one to have sold the most consoles to boot.

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 09:54 PM
link   
wow, this is the funniest thread ever. All this stuff about floating bit-points, mip-mapping and how many flops per second a machine can do, who cares? (the fan boys wont read them anyway) it aint about the games anymore, people are too intent on seeing their rival console go down the toilet and bringing up stats on sales figures or whatever. Why cant we all just get along? i work for Sony and that dont stop me buying microsoft or nintendo games every month. I hope for a world where one day we can all lay our controllers down, join hands and appreciate video games just cos theyre fun to play.

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 07:52 AM
link   
I prefer Xbox360 at the moment, better games and the console was cheaper to buy, Sony have screwed Europe big style after dropping the price in the States but not here and after the delay in Europe to. PS3 has more potential but its way to expensive for what you get.

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 05:36 PM
link   
estar let me slightly correct you

PS3 is more expensive to buy if you are just looking at a games console, but lets say in twelve months time the world's home movie format is leaning towards Blue Ray as the next format, then the PS3 is suddenly a half price Blue Ray player with a awesome games console included

But as said earlier, we all enjoy gaming and it does not matter one dot what console it is on, as long as you enjoy it then that is all that matters, in another perspective, I do not drive a Ferrari, I would love to be able to but I don't, the car I have does me fine and I enjoy driving it even though I would love to be able to go 0 to 100MPH in several secs

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 04:51 AM
link   
OK, so what do you guys think of the Sony Portable Play Station?

content.techrepublic.com.com...

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 10:27 PM
link   
It's alright. No complaints after having played one for a good 14 hours on a road trip recently. The GTA's were disappointing however. I personally prefer my DS:Lite. Though I might buy a PSP just to play the remastered Final Fantasy 20th anniversary addition.

[edit on 9-8-2007 by sardion2000]

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 02:19 AM
link   
It all depends on what types of games you like. At the moment, the 360 is selling far ahead of the ps3.

The 360 also has xbox live which is much better implemented than the Playstation store.

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Ok, I will admit straight off that I didn't read the entire post. It looked like some people were totally fan-boying all over the PS3 and others fan-boying all over the 360. I wanted to put my 2 cents in...

I own a high end PC, an XBox360, a PS3, and (in response to something from this page) a PSP.

PCs- NOT the working mans system. With the invention of SLi tech it is a real money hole. To get the best of the best you have to be willing to sink the price of the entire pc again into the video cards (and I have). That sucks. Keyboard and mouse is cool, but if you don't have a nostromo you don't know what you are missing. Best gaming accessory EVER!

360- Love love love it! Best game pads ever, battery packs and rechargers are cool, rumble is cool. Best selection of games. I got mine because I saw that M$ had exclusive rights (from regular XBox days) to FASAs products and that they were not coming out on PC anymore (Battletech stuff and Crimson Skies). Unfortunately with Shadowrun (which DID come out on PC), it sounds like FASA shot it's wad, I think they are closed down now. Then I had the RRoD (Red Rings of Death). I will purchase ALL 3rd party games for this system. I like it better, there is a better community built around it. XBL is better equipped to handle updates and extra content.

-side note- After purchasing the 360 it was only months before I realized I needed an HD TV and sweet surround sound. And it was all WELL WORTH IT.

PS3- Got it to "tide me over" until my XBox came home from the shop. Lately I have been downloading demos on both the PSN and XBL of the same games to compare. Not much difference that I can see. Ultimately I knew going into this thing that it would be my "backup" system. Any 3rd party games that come out I will NOT purchase for PS3. This system (for me) is for exclusive games (Resistance is freaking AWESOME) and watching BluRays. Another big bonus is that this system packs a web browser. You can also just plug in any USB keyboard and mouse and they work fine in the interface, although not for gaming (there is a mouse controller available for gaming, just not any old mouse). The game pads suck. Sixaxis is only cool for games designed around that content only. No rumble sucks. Battery pack built into the pad sucks (you have to plug these things into the system to get them charged, WTF? I don't want wires). The best part of this system is going to be it's exclusives (of which I currently only care about Resistance, but Heavenly Sword looks pretty good (supposedly only 8 hours or so of game play though)). Oh and the networking SUCKS it takes 3 or more times as long to download from PSN as it does from XBL!

PSP- meh. I thought it would be a good gaming and MP3 player. IT probably would be too, but I'm not that much "on the go" lately. Pretty much every PS2 title gets ported and there are some good exclusive games. Movie-wise it's retarded, those things cost more then a regular DVD and the PSP is the only thing you can watch them on. The newer PSPs DO have RCA out jacks so you can plug it into your TV... But the thing is supposed to be a portable...

Backwards compatibility- XBox360 hands down. It is a little flakey (I have had some issues where a level never ends after you trigger the end "event"). It is software controlled (emulated) though. PS3 yuck (to be fair, I have only tried one title). I got the 60GB version on it's way out because I had read that the 60 was the last one to have "the chip" (backwards compatibility handled by hardware instead of software) and that from now on the PS3 was going to be all emulation. Anyway my experience was that the one game I tried looked like butt (Shadow of the Colossus), I keep meaning to rent another to see what it's like, but haven't.

Looking into the future- The XBox is supposed to be getting a newer CPU that is a lot smaller then the current one (and thus running a lot cooler), but the problems faced by over heating the 360 is supposed to be in the GPU... There is supposed to be a new PS3 coming out at $399. It will be built around the newer (80GB) model, but only comes with a 40GB drive. I have even read that the network card for this one is going to be revamped (I must not be the only one with questions about the internal cards speed).

[edit on 10/2/2007 by whargoul]

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by elitegamer23

www.google.com...

xbox only games

Great lists! They have titles on both sides that are must haves in my opinion. I'm glad I have a PS360!!!

If I got a Wii, would that upgrade my system to a PS36Dii??

PSP

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 04:12 AM
link   
Well the xbox360 is less expensive but i see that much people getting an RROD, RED RING OF DEATH, that means that your 360 doesnt start up again and some hardware just has gotten to warm.
Stupid like hell right?

SR

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by PSP
Well the xbox360 is less expensive but i see that much people getting an RROD, RED RING OF DEATH, that means that your 360 doesnt start up again and some hardware just has gotten to warm.
Stupid like hell right?

Yeah i know alot of people got that the day Halo 3 came out, My Xbox 360 was fine until that day too and now it's having overheating problems and disk reading problems not to mention leaving huge scratches on my disk. I used to defend Xbox 360's blindly but now i'm seeing cracks that keep niggling at me although to be fair the system is worth replacing even if it has started to go faulty after three years.

I still hold the belief though that Xbox Live is amazing and the support for it by the games companies like uploading screenshots and your online record to their sites and videos and stuff is just brillant the wealth of games for the xbox 360 is fantastic as well.

Theres no real exclusive reason for me to want to buy PS3 until Metal Gear Solid 4 and Final Fantasty 13 comes out as when i'm at my mates house i play on his PS3 with him and although i've been impressed with games like 'Warhawk' but even then i'm not convinced enough to buy one for those few games especially at it's price and blu-ray which i dont need or want.

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by SR

So what's your impression of Halo 3 on the XBox? Is it worth its wad? A quantum jump from the previous versions, especially the graphics? Or does it suck for the price?

SR

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Iit wasn't what i thought it would be to be honest. Not exacatly wooooooo pinnacle of next gen acheivement but defintely a great buy anyway and the halo series story is cool as well. Mulitplayer is cool lots of modes they need new maps though dude.

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Seems that Sony can't make up their minds about which models or configurations the PS3 should have. Now they are coming out with a SILVER finish ps3 unit... and a rumored 160 gig model in Japan.

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by mikesingh
reply to post by SR

So what's your impression of Halo 3 on the XBox? Is it worth its wad? A quantum jump from the previous versions, especially the graphics? Or does it suck for the price?

There are better looking games on the 360, but Halo 3 is a great game.
The Orange Box (Half Life 2, HL2:Ep1 and Ep2, Team Fortress 2, Portal) is out now as well. HL2 is one of the greatest games of all time, and IMO HL2:Ep2 is the best of all the HL games.

The PSP is also alot of fun IF you travel alot. My 5 year old likes it, but I'd much rather play my 360 on the TV.

IMO PS3 is only worth the price tag if also want a BluRay player. I actually may pick on up this christmas just for that, it does appear BluRay is going to win out over HD-DVD.

At work, and rushed for time.. If you have any questions just shoot me a U2U.

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Why not both? Need Xbox360 to play Halo 3, that would be my first choice.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join