It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan can possess nuclear weapons

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Foreign Minister Taro Aso, who has called for discussion of Japan's non-nuclear policy, also asserted that the pacifist constitution does not forbid possession of the bomb.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Source

They go on to say they have no intention's...now...of building any....

This means they can develope or recieve from another party...cough, cough..US..cough nuclear weapons and keep them as "defensive" weapons.

This is a major shift inthe Japanese stance on nuclear weapons.

[edit on 11/29/2006 by mrmonsoon]

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Japan has a lot of nuclear reactors and could probably put a nuclear bomb together as fast as they can put a Sony TV together all by themselves.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 10:46 PM
link   
wouldnt even have enough time for a kodak moment.......

The japanese know the horror, they never intended on inflicting such a tragic wound onto a country...

plus they havent had another nuclear threat since..

now korea has them,

They'll make it, keep it secret...

strategically, not having one, now that nkorea has one is stupid.

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 11:46 AM
link   
if they think the korean threat is strong enough they will make them.
look at how fast they came up with maser tanks and giant robots to deal with there lizard with bad breath infestation.

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Canada could likewise build nuclear weapons in very little time, but for some reason there's never any fearmongery over that concern.

Why is that?

Japan is prolly the most educated nation on the face of the earth when it comes to the horror of nuclear weapons. I see no reason to get all alarmist over this.

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Japan getting Nuclear weaopns would in NO WAY help the situation they are in with NK. Japan is already protected under the U.S. nuclear umbrella, if Japan were to get nuclear weapons, SK and China would go ballistic. Instead of working with the US and Japan to deal with the crisis, SK AND CHINA would side with NK - two of the most influential coutnries when it comes to NK's nuclear ambitions.

Again, there is NO WAY South Korea would allow Japan to get nuclear weapons and continue on as if nothing happened... the south koreans are already refusing to cooperate with checks against NK and are trying to be MUCH more leniant to the NK than the U.S. is wanting... Japan getting a nuke would seriously throw everything off to the advantage of NK.

posted on Dec, 6 2006 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by k4rupt
SK AND CHINA would side with NK

South Korea would not side with North Korea. Remember, no peace treaty was ever signed, so technically, the Korean war is still going.

South Korea would complain about it, but to go as far as saying they'd lose the United States as an ally and side with North Korea is a little too much of a stretch.

South Korea and Japan aren't exactly the best of friends. China and Japan aren't either. So, clearly they'd be upset.

Japan obtaining a nuclear weapon would make the situation more unstable. If Japan went nuclear, you may see Taiwan go nuclear. This would cause China to rapidly build up it's military strength in the region, and possibly launch a pre-emptive strike on Taiwan. Tensions between South Korea and Japan would rise, not to severe war type limits, but enough that it would get in the way of diplomatic efforts in regards to North Korea's nuclear capabilities. North Korea would continue to develop more nuclear weapons, of course. They could possibly purchase ICBM's from either Russia or China to use on Japan or U.S. military. If this happens, or China invades Taiwan, I think we may see the war of all wars that most people would never want to witness in their lifetime, and that's a United States vs China/Russia conflict.

I apologize for taking the Japanese nuclear possession issue and turning it into a World War III, apocolyptic type scenario, but, it just goes to show you that even small things like this can erupt and get completely out of control.

posted on Dec, 6 2006 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by BitRaiser
Canada could likewise build nuclear weapons in very little time, but for some reason there's never any fearmongery over that concern.

This one always urks the canadians... Canada is America Lite. All the freedom fewer calories. Cause your national anthem is a balad not a war theme. and then theres the french canadians and there isnt anyone that takes them seriously.

you talk About something

A Boot is what you put on your foot.

and the bit about Japan going to the OP is scarry as heck cause they could whip those puppies together and they probably would be way scarry acurate. like announcing the individual the bomb will crush before detonating.

[edit on 6-12-2006 by whatukno]

posted on Dec, 6 2006 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
This one always urks the canadians... Canada is America Lite. All the freedom fewer calories. Cause your national anthem is a balad not a war theme. and then theres the french canadians and there isnt anyone that takes them seriously.

Actually, it doesn't *irk* us at all. Most Canadians are proud to have never abused/weaponised nuclear power. We are proud to be peacekeepers, not warmongers. Although we sometimes have disagreements with our French citzens, we are not socially xenophobic and we celibrate our cultural diversity.

And for the record, I've been around the world and in most places I've seen first hand that Canadians are more respected internationally than the US simply because we don't screw with other people's affairs, but we come to their aid if needed.

you talk About something

A Boot is what you put on your foot.

Ya know what Canadian's call people who think we say "Aboot"?
Ignorant.

Wanna talk about stupid abuses of the english laungage? How about New England, Texas, and the mass general poorly educated yanks that can't form a single thought in writing? I could easily point to your own poor grammer and punctuation, but that would be a low-blow.

Canada/US interaction
Canadian/US interaction part 2 (yes, this actually happened)

posted on Dec, 7 2006 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Wanna talk about stupid abuses of the english laungage? How about New England, Texas, and the mass general poorly educated yanks that can't form a single thought in writing?

..Your statement was in response to an insult made by another directed at you, so, I'll let this slide.

But, not all of us Texans are "poorly educated".

posted on Dec, 8 2006 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Its just a pitty the stupidest man in your country is in the most noticable position..
claiming to be a texan!

He's riding your society likes its a full blooded nuke flying through the oil fields of YEEHAW TEXAS!

posted on Dec, 8 2006 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
Its just a pitty the stupidest man in your country is in the most noticable position..
claiming to be a texan!

I'm not going to defend him.

He's a bad representation of the state. In my mind, he's not a Texan. He was born in Connecticut.

But..I really don't know what this has to do with Japan possessing nucular weapons (I had to do it..sorry).

posted on Dec, 8 2006 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Yeah granted. .just through i should add to the convo on going!

but.. i think japan HAS nukes...

as if they are going to admit to it eh?

and japan isnt really a worry....

They wont let anything out about it, because it will start an arms race..
if they have it, they keep it to themselvves.. it'll be a massive surprise when a multi-megatonne explosion occurs
!

posted on Dec, 8 2006 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
as if they are going to admit to it eh?

Reminds me of Israel..

Anyways, yeah, they probably already have them. They claim it's against their constitution or whatever, but who actually follows their constitution, really?

The United States sure as hell doesn't.

posted on Dec, 8 2006 @ 03:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheyAreWatching

Wanna talk about stupid abuses of the english laungage? How about New England, Texas, and the mass general poorly educated yanks that can't form a single thought in writing?

..Your statement was in response to an insult made by another directed at you, so, I'll let this slide.

But, not all of us Texans are "poorly educated".

My applogies.
I didn't mean to pass on a generalized insult. I was pointing out how absured it is to make such broad based comments. Specificly, the Texan accent is a very amusing little bit of abuse inflicted upon the English language. Hehe, I was once asked what part of Texas I was from because I do a perty good impression that I sometimes use when I'm working retail (it helps to relax customers sor some reason).

Anyway... didn't mean it to offend. Just making a point.

Back on Topic:
I really wouldn't be suprised if Japan does have a secret nuclear weapons program. They definatly have the technology. After becoming the only nation to actually be targeted by a nuclear weapon, I'm reasonably sure that a good chunk of their population would want to make sure that they had the ability to strike back if it ever happened again. Japan has proven that they are perty damned good at keeping secrets too. If you are into Robotics at all, you know that they are constantly amazing the rest of the international community by releasing things that no-one knew they had.

However, despite the fact that I find it easy to believe that they could have nukes now, I'm not even a little worried about it. Japan hasn't exactly been prone to agression... or even saber rattling. I think they've learned a lesson that the rest of the world needs to understand/remember: USING NUCLEAR WEAPONS IS VERY VERY BAD!

posted on Dec, 8 2006 @ 06:05 AM
link   
I believe that if they want and posses nuclear weapons or weapon hehehe it would be used for defense obviously, but mainly against a hostile nation that dwells near by.. *cough* North Korea *Cough* that just seems to be all that runs through my head.. uhh well anyone care to prove me wrong

posted on Dec, 8 2006 @ 01:55 PM
link   
To be completely honest, if Japan launched a nuclear attack on North Korea, I personally would look the other way. Clearly I'm nothing in this situation, but, public opinion counts for something, right?

posted on Dec, 8 2006 @ 01:59 PM
link   
I sure as hell wouldn't look the other way...

I left a lady I loved in South Korea and I know damned well that their people would be drasticly impacted by any attempt to nuke or invade North Korea.

Things change a whole lot when you actually meet people involved.

new topics

top topics

join