It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boston University Group Sponsors Whites Only Scholarship

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2006 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Hackles are being raised in Beantown and abroad at the scholarship offered for Whites Only by a student's group. The college's Republican group, while admitting the idea is ridiculous, said sponsoring the "Caucasian Achievement and Recognition Scholarship" is meant to raise awareness about racial preferences.

cbs4boston.com
(CBS4) BOSTON A student group at Boston University is making headlines with a scholarship it's offering only to Caucasian students.

The College Republicans said the "Caucasian Achievement and Recognition Scholarship" is meant to raise awareness about racial preferences.

"We know it's ridiculous, but we think it's ridiculous in the same way to give out a Hispanic scholarship or a scholarship based on race in any way shape or form," said BUCR member Joe Mroszczyk.

The application for the $250 scholarship requires applicants be at least one-fourth Caucasian. Applicants must also submit two essays, one describing their ancestry and one describing "what it means to you to be a Caucasian-American today."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Many people have been frustrated by racial preferences in everything from college admissions to selection of applicants for jobs. The oft-asked question, "What if we had a Whites Only group? Would that be allowed??" is now about to be answered.

It will be interesting to hear the comments on this topic.

Related News Links:
www.msnbc.msn.com
www.cnn.com
www.thecrimson.com

posted on Nov, 23 2006 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Its high time this happened!.

The silent majority has been used and abused and made to look like fools for to long.

I hope ultimately the idea gets banned ALONG with everyother organisation that does it for other race/culture groups/people.

Equality for all.

Be interesting to see what the "official" response is.

posted on Nov, 23 2006 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I have no problem with it, I really do not understand the so call racial divisions, because honestly making an issue of about everything is nothing more than fueling the same divisions that many of the so call pro-equality groups are doing.

To me is nothing more than cashing out on the issues of racism.

I don't care if one group wants to offer whatever they want to the people of their own ethnic background.

It seems that every race is doing it. So one more makes no difference.

Good for them.

posted on Nov, 23 2006 @ 05:37 PM
link   
The head of the student Hispanic group has protested the scholarship, saying that Hispanics cannot survive the school without scholarships because of their poor economic status.

The Republican group leader countered by saying that he is in favor of need-based scholarships, but only objects when a racial or ethnic label is tied to it.

posted on Nov, 23 2006 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I CAN'T wait to see how this pans out. Is it wrong? I don't think so. This is an issue that's been brewing since Affermative Action began. There are special interest groups for every race(I hate the word "colour"), sex, whatever. This should be interesting.

posted on Nov, 23 2006 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
The head of the student Hispanic group has protested the scholarship, saying that Hispanics cannot survive the school without scholarships because of their poor economic status.

Why don't the hispanics embrace scholorships for poor people, instead of just hispanics, then?

posted on Nov, 23 2006 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Why when is a black and white or other race issue, the one that has white on it is the one that the other ethnic groups find offensive.

I hardly see any white group making and issue when it comes to scholarships for blacks, Hispanic or other ethnic group.

So if some groups wants to give only whites scholarships, well let them have it.

posted on Nov, 23 2006 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by In nothing we trust

Why don't the hispanics embrace scholorships for poor people, instead of just hispanics, then?

Because they are Racist and if you suggested to them that they are racist you yourself would then get labeled a Racist white trash bigot.

posted on Nov, 23 2006 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

I hardly see any white group making and issue when it comes to scholarships for blacks, Hispanic or other ethnic group.

I think that this is the issue Marg. To see if anyone will make a beef about an exclusive "white" scholarship.

posted on Nov, 23 2006 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by NumberCruncher

Because they are Racist and if you suggested to them that they are racist you yourself would then get labeled a Racist white trash bigot.

What if the person happens to be Black or Asian?

posted on Nov, 23 2006 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

I think that this is the issue Marg. To see if anyone will make a beef about an exclusive "white" scholarship.

You know that it will happen, because, you see intrepid racism in America is always about one group in particular all the time.

posted on Nov, 23 2006 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

Originally posted by intrepid

You know that it will happen, because, you see intrepid racism in America is always about one group in particular all the time.

Sad isn't it how the PTB use stupid -stuff- like this to divide us. :shk:

mod edit - removing profanity

[edit on 25-11-2006 by parrhesia]

posted on Nov, 23 2006 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Wasn't there a banner ad on this very site not so long ago for the 'Negro College Fund' (or something very similarly named) I'm curious to know how many people called for that advert to be banned on the grounds of racism??

posted on Nov, 23 2006 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Don't allow the division to occur..........

To hell with them...if a prominemt institution wishes to provoke base social issues...then the proper answer, imo, is to to shrug a shoulder.

The people who feel comfortable adhering to the criteria required for a $250 scholarship are either on one side of the fence or the other......how their submissions affect the rest of the populace is almost immaterial...

Knowing about it does not affect my perspective in either direction...

Sexist...Racist....Religionist....

...Meh...

If you are not me, then your perspective is different. As a consequence, you may know something I don't...

You are always going to get my ear and respect in communicae....

...I don't even have to look at you....and I assure you, that in most cases, I would rather not....

posted on Nov, 23 2006 @ 08:00 PM
link   
There are plenty of scholarships that carry specifics. Some are restricted to black people, nobody makes an issue over those.

Why would it become an issue if a scholarship was sponsored for a white student?

I see no problem with this.

posted on Nov, 23 2006 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Well they have hispanic only scholarships, they have black only scholarships...why cant we have white only scholarships? I mean I lived in detroit and you can clearly see its a double standard. You cant treat us like crap but we can treat you like crap because if you say something against it its racist. I'm so sick of it. Why cant we all be equal. Why cant i say the n word but they can call me a cracker or whitey. Bullcrap. If they wanna cry about a white only scholarship then we can get rid of it. Then we can get rid of al the other "fill in the blank only scholarships". Then we can get rid of quotas for how many hispanics we HAVE to hire for a job. Which in itself isnt fair. I know if i was a fireman and they couldnt hire two MORE QUALIFIED guys because they had to hire a black guy I wouldnt like it.

posted on Nov, 23 2006 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

That was his point, in a nutshell. Why don't they? Is it because they would be disadvantaged by the competition for the funds from other ethnicities and/or races? But then, isn't that the way things are supposed to work?

Maybe he is dismayed by the views of the new governor of the state, who supports in-state tuition rates for illegal immigrants. Whatever. It is a sure thing though, that whenever resources are earmarked for special groups, it is bound to bring up charges of pandering and reverse racism.

Hispanics suffer from no racial bias, as did early blacks in our society. The claim of economic disparity is baseless, imo. That is, unless you are referring to illegal immigrants.

Edn

posted on Nov, 23 2006 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Equal rights. If blacks, yellow, pinks & browns can have there own coloured scholarship why cant whites.

posted on Nov, 23 2006 @ 11:25 PM
link   
This act is racist and very pragmatic. Not only that, but it allows a very negative affect to anyone wanting to attend this univercity and is say afrikan american. This should not be allowed. UNLESS there is some pathetic excuse to only accept caucasians by actually seperating themselves from other ..races... This IS RACIST. THIS SHOULD END right now right now!!! It deems racial research. Myself even protesting against this should not be a case today!

7A

posted on Nov, 23 2006 @ 11:30 PM
link   
How is it racist? They can have black and hispanic only scholarships but i cant because I'm caucasian? It's like they have to hire a black person because they have to not because they are as qualified but because they HAVE TO. THAT IS RACIST!!! If they want equal action then base them on achievement not on some quota you have to make.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join