It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boston University Group Sponsors Whites Only Scholarship

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 04:57 AM
link   
I am amazed that so many are opposed to the white-only scholarships. There are many out there who need support to attend college, and it doesn't matter which race it is, and it doesnt matter who is the "minority" and the "majority". Everybody deserves the same chance to receive an education, and scholarships should be simply for those who need economic support. Why only support "poor Africans" or "poor Latinos"? Why not the "poor whites"? Why should we even do "poor *race*"? Why not simply "poor American"?

And what is this BS about "every day is white day"? Should we hurt the majority for being the majority? We are always looking for a way to end racism, but its not just whites being racist. A saw a video of a black man suggesting to kill all whites to end racism, and many blacks supported him. Oh, but should we just ignore that, since he is a minority? Many black comedians always joke about the "crackers" doing this and that, and being racist against whites, but when comedian Michael Richards says the same about africans, he is suddenly worse than his black counterparts? The double standards are AMAZING.

Simply put, we should get rid of all the labels. Latin Scholarships? Black Scholarships? How about scholarships to just support the poor, why does it need to be specific to race? It is racist to assume all whites can support themselves. They should receive the same amount of support and the same amount of scholarship oppurtunities as other races.

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Hell, I'm opposed to all racially related scholarships. As far as I'm concerned, we're all of the human race, unless you can prove otherwise. I even made sure that "human" was put down on my son's birth certificate when they asked for race (I checked "other" and wrote in "human"). When will all this discussion about different races just stop.

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 05:25 AM
link   
the truth hurts? i doubt it. it doesnt bother me one bit that there were slaves. my ancestors owned slaves. i dont really care. and you got it right when you said white conqueror. we are the reason that blacks are here in the comfort of the u.s.. the only reason they have any rights in this country is because somebody had a guilty conscience. youre right this is america and you have a right to express your opinion. as do i. but dont tell me for one minute that just because they are black or hispanic or whatever they deserve special treatment. they dont they should learn how to work for their money just like white people have to. i dont really care about whats politically correct and whats not. im about what makes good common sense. and if you keep giving them hand-outs, the worse the situation will become. they arent after equality, they are just after special treatment. and until you realize that your wallet will be taking the hit so they can live on welfare and continue milking the system. but you probably wont listen to me because im "racist". im not politically correct. and for not listening to someone like me that tells it the way it is, you are going to keep paying for people that arent smart enough to stay in high school. thats the reason today they dont get hired. there are plenty of jobs available for blacks and other minorities. but you have to have a diploma and you have to actually get off your as@ and apply.

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 08:01 AM
link   
A friend of mine a few weeks ago was kicked out of a bar he regularly drinks at because he wasn't "a lesbian". They were having a Lesbian night there and told him to get out. It got me thinking that if someone put on a 'Straight' night and kicked out all gays they'd be branded as homophobes and I'm sure they could potentially be sued. The same can be applied if someone were to host an 'All White' night to counter black only venues.

To me this is just bull# as minorities either racial or sexual ask not to be treated differently or marginalised, then actually segregate themselves from society. It seems equality is fine when they want the benefits of that but when it comes to personal practices they want polarisation. You can't have it both ways people!

I'm not sure if this applies to this case specifically as it is money related, which sadly does apply to social and racial standings, but it's pretty close!

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by John Nada

To me this is just bull# as minorities either racial or sexual ask not to be treated differently or marginalised, then actually segregate themselves from society. It seems equality is fine when they want the benefits of that but when it comes to personal practices they want polarisation. You can't have it both ways people!

That is my point, I am Hispanic and I have no problem with this all white scholarship the same way I care less what ethnic group gets what, none of them has help me and my family with anything and we have never had any need for them.

What it bothers me is the way that is portrayed by other ethnics groups, as long as its not all whites only because it brings bad memories of a darker side and time on Americas history is OK for any body else to have for our ethnic group only opportunities.

Now better don't be whites only because that makes it a racist issue.

I agree is pure BS.

And a way to keep the divisions and promotion of racial discrimination.

[edit on 24-11-2006 by marg6043]

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 08:25 AM
link   
If any of you notice, 1/4 Caucasian blood? This is not a White only scholarship!

Roper

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 09:43 AM
link   

[I]Originally posted by Roper[/I]
If any of you notice, 1/4 Caucasian blood? This is not a White only scholarship!

Roper

Good catch!!!!!!! This brings me memories of the Hawaiian rules you have to have 1/3 of Polynesia blood to own land

I hope they start doing that in my Island of PR, because right now the Island best beaches and land are owned by foreigners, for summer homes and hotel industry.

Well I guess my children qualify for them they have Caucasian blood, but also they qualify for Italian, black and Hispanic minorities’ scholarships.

I love this whole Ethnic concoctions we are so mix that we can get about anything.

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 10:06 AM
link   
So let me get this straight. Blacks have low income housing, black scholarships,Negro collage funds, food stamps, Wic, welfare, Medicaid ,Exclusive black TV,Exclusive black groups. and anytime a white group wants to help white people its racist. this makes me sick!
Ive seen subsidized housing being built and its actually really nice until a few years go by and you throw trash about and sell crack on every corner and claim streets and start gangs and fire automatic weapons at each other and stand infrount of the liquor store drinking your Colt45 complaining about how unfair whitie is to you. Get off your ass! You want equality I say you want payback, a free ride ,the upper hand hell I think you want to keep the white man down and put the shoe on the other foot because you cant forget the past. So what a white group of people want to help underprivileged poor white people out, big friggen deal! And yes there are white ghettos all over the us and whites live in poverty all over ,we need help sometimes too. the minorities need to chill and stop getting all freaked out when whites want to be proud to be white. Guess what you have equality your just confusing equality with an unfair world. Hell I get unfair treatment all the time but I don't associate it with race every time. I'm white and Ive had hard times and couldn't even qualify for a food stamp for a lolly pop. Minorities get it with the ease go figure. How about a scholarship for the poor of any color or religion how about medical breaks for all the needy regardless or race or religion.
I'm not a racist and just because I said a peep about racism doesn't make me a racist. Oh and believe it or not minorities can be racist too and discriminate.

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Prop2 bans discrimination or use of racial preferences in government hiring, contracting and university admissions. I thought it was a great idea myself but some people feel they need an advantage over others to get ahead in life.

I have no problem with private scholarships but when it comes to the government endorsing race based quotas I don't agree. The Boston Scholarship sure does show what the "minority" mind set is really like though. It’s ok for them but if the white man wants it he is an evil racist dog...

I actually think the tide is turning in this country for minority based privileges. I mean look at all of our large inner cities. They are minority owned and they are all for the most part in ruins. They have been laid waste by 50 years of minority rule. It's really time we went with another approach.

Of course I will be labeled a racist for pointing out obvious and very true facts...

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 10:25 AM
link   
i was going to read this whole thread before replying but i got halfway through the last page and just couldnt anymore.

am i they only one who read the article?

thier scholarship isnt about helping whites per se, its to bring the issue of minority only scholarships into the front for open debate. they want to piss people off so that they do look and have to admit that there IS a double standard.

personally, i feel if the african american community wants to give out scholarships to black students, go for it. doesnt bother me in the least...really it doesnt.

but if we are going to actually END racism...is it helpful in the long run to have "black" groups or "white groups" or (insert racial group here)?

as far as slavery goes, why am I being held responsible for the actions of people that were here long before MY people ever got here? my family emigrated in the 20s from a country that doesnt even exist anymore, they settled in the midwest (where there were no black people by the way and for the record, my family finds whats been done to the native americans that were already there just as appalling as anyone else) so what does my family have to do with slavery? nothing. my grandfather made a very modest living as a horsetrader in teh drepssion. we've been living payday to payday ever since. everything i have ive earned. and nobody has any grounds to call me a racist.

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I see it this way, we have the "United Negro College fund".

Clearly it is for "blacks" only", even if a very few who recieve funds are not black the far and away vast majority are black

If that is "ok" then I see nothing wrong with a "United Whites college fund" as it were.

The way I see it, if blacks complain about this, they are being prejudice-in the it's ok for me but not for you method-something I see FAR too often!

You know, like how it is ok for blacks to call other blacks the "n" word, but god forbid if a non-black uses the term.

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 10:57 AM
link   
This reminds me of the white South African who had moved over to america when he was like ten (and thus, was an African American) and had applied for an "African American Scholarship"

He won it, and when he went to meet them, and he realized he was white, they revoked it.

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Actually the 1/4 rule is pretty standard when applying for many racial scholarships. Anyway, I am 1/2 hispanic and 1/2 caucasian so i get the best of both worlds haha but seriously I understand where they are comming from by offering a whites only scholarship. Even though they are trying to point out the double standard (which does exist) they are just adding more fuel to the fire. A better way would be to focus on a need-based scholarship rather than a controversial "white" only scholarship.

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Well Ephon, this isnt a REAL scholarship, its something the republican students afterschool group put together, out of theyre own pockets, in protest of the double standards of racial discriminatory scholarship programs. The idea is to actually throw fuel into the fire, and bring up the debate, hopefully, in the national forum.

Ofcourse the idea to make a need-based scholarship program over racial discriminatory programs is an ideal one, but this wasnt the purpose of theyre little scholarship protest

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 11:15 AM
link   
This to me was aimed for one purpose, to point out double standards nowadays in society. I also believe that Micheal Richards tirade was much about the same, the double standard on the issue of race in the entertainment and comedy business(though he went way out in left field with his). This is all this group is trying to do, is point out racial double standards that are rampant in our society, either we all get scholarships, or no one gets scholarships. You cant please everyone, and even when you try to you end up pissing everyone off. But ask yourself this question, would all ethnic groups accept merit only scholarships and do away with racial based ones? I seriously doubt it, the preverbial "foul" would be called left and right, theres no way around it, if you have a scholarship for one race, your gonna need it for all.

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Every body knows that "minorities" get more scholarships, more financial aid, and often don't even need an adequate GPA to get into a school simply because schools want to fill their quotas.

I find it amusing that other student groups where so upset. Absolutely perfect, proved there point in no time that other races won't stand for scholarships to whites only. Negro College funds and such are giving money to exclusive races, but there is nothing for whites. There are even "Negro schools" where you can get in if your white.. just hard to do so. Reverse racism if you ask me.

I think it is also amusing that minorities, especially blacks seem to think all white people are well to do, that they have the extra 10k a year or so to put kids threw school.. is it because many whites who appear well to do only appear that way because they choose not to bring them selves down to the ghetto standards? There are far more poor whites then there are blacks. Maybe not a larger % of the white population as compared to black % of the population but that could change if you choose to.

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by WolfofWar
Well Ephon, this isnt a REAL scholarship, its something the republican students afterschool group put together, out of theyre own pockets, in protest of the double standards of racial discriminatory scholarship programs. The idea is to actually throw fuel into the fire, and bring up the debate, hopefully, in the national forum.

Ofcourse the idea to make a need-based scholarship program over racial discriminatory programs is an ideal one, but this wasnt the purpose of theyre little scholarship protest

Damn, you beat me to it. Good post though, I agree 100%.

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Ah, it's so sad to see the double standard in this thread and the people who trump it as right. Scholarships, jobs and aid based on skin color are fine and dandy as long as only certain colors qualify. My, sounds so much like the racist policies of the past...

Originally posted by Rockpuck
Reverse racism if you ask me.

No my friend, there is no such thing as "reverse racism", this would imply that the only "true" type of racism is that committed by whites against others, pure and utter BS. This is just plain old racism, nothing reverse about it.

[edit on 24-11-2006 by WestPoint23]

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I don't have any problem with this. I'm glad it's happening and I totally get the message.

As long as there are scholarships for different races, I don't see why the white race should be left out. That's discrimination. As long as the NAACP exists and helps minorities with scholarships, I don't see why white people shouldn't get help, too. It's not like all white people are rich, after all. Right? There are plenty of poor, underprivileged white people in this country who could use a leg up.

As long as it's not taking away from the other scholarship funds, why cry about this?

Now, if we want to get RID of ALL racially based support structures, I would also support that. Then only people who needed the help would get it, REGARDLESS of their race. That's fair.

As long as something is based on race, it's racially motivated and FEEDS racism. But if blacks, Hispanics and other minorities wish to receive help purely based on their race, I don't see why whites shouldn't be one of the races that receive help, too.

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 11:20 AM
link   
there's black only scholarships, so why not white only???

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join