It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Couple charge under patriot act for kissing?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2006 @ 04:34 PM
link   
The fact that even one person would say this situation is excusable really shows we must be living with pod-people. Its Invasion of the like body snatchers or soemthing. These are the type of people that claimed this kind of action for normal everyday non-terror related crimes would not have the Patriot act used against them.

Now it is being used for a non terror related crime. This head in lap was maybe indecent, or dealing with the attendant badly may have been verbal abuse, it does not warrent the Patriot act being used. Then I see a handful of regulars come in giveing excuse for this to happen.

Shame on you.

posted on Nov, 23 2006 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Well doesn't anybody gets concern about their own safety when it comes to the word of somebody that dislike you or feel uncomfortable with you to make it into and issue that can escalate into been charge under the patriot act?

How much is to much and how far the ride of power by some in our nation will go under fighting terrorism and the patriot act.

Every time something like this that affects the life of American citizens using the patriot act comes around, it bring me memories when many were opposed to this nefarious government way to infringe into the American citizens lives under the false reasons of fighting terror.

I am the only one that see what is going on in our nation? How this patriot act is developing into something more than just what it was sold to us in the beginning?

I see this whole issue as an eye opening to see that is not longer to fight terror but to fight and control Americans, regular Americans like you or me.

I still feel that its going to get worst as time goes on, so far is to many random cases of misused of power under this act and they will become and everyday thing to the point that we will have no rights anymore as long as is under the assumption of the safety of some and for the good of the nation.

What will be next? I wonder.

Who will become the next target? already racial prohibiting in airplanes has been abuse under the patriot act, religious profiling, and lest no forget what has been happening on the state level in some places while abusing the patriot act.

I wonder, when American will tell our elected officials to take the patriot act and shove it . . . where the sun doesn't shine.

[edit on 23-11-2006 by marg6043]

posted on Nov, 23 2006 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

What will be next? I wonder.

Who will become the next target? already racial prohibiting in airplanes has been abuse under the patriot act, religious profiling, and lest no forget what has been happening on the state level in some places while abusing the patriot act.

I wonder, when American will tell our elected officials to take the patriot act and shove it . . . where the sun doesn't shine.

A Brave New World...

What will be next, I hope it doesnt have to go too far...

I just cant believe people are excusing this business.

posted on Nov, 23 2006 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Yeah, we can consider that even on ATS, there's a lot of brainwashed pro-big brother people... sad. You're a shame to your country and your founding fathers.

And don't bring the lame excuse that the founding fathers didn't knew about terrorism, a threat that doesn't exist except in the middle-east because your government created it by oppressing them for so much years. Terrorism is a NORMAL REACTION, like to be angry after someone rape your wife in front of your eyes! Muslims who aren't affected by the enemy don't become an extremist, but if he is, he'll turn extremist, and this is a action-reaction problem.

And terrorism isn't dangerous, the cold war was, the 2 world wars were, the civil war was.

[edit on 23-11-2006 by Vitchilo]

posted on Nov, 23 2006 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Okay so arguing with a flight attendant is something that can get you charged with the patriot act. Wow what is this world coming to. Arguing isn't a terrorist offense. Threatining to kill someone isn't either. If he threatened to bring the plane down but ya. He just verbally abused the flight attendant. If anything AT MOST be charged with disturbing the piece.

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 02:07 AM
link   
I hope the judge on this case see's how big a load of crap this is. Its like that scene from Anger Management where Adam Sandler raises his voice after being messed with by everyone and they tase him. I thought crap like that only happend in movies. What is the world comming to is right.

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 02:38 AM
link   
I hope this plays out well in court for justice. If the people threatened the attendant, then they should be fined. If they threatened the attendant's life, then fined HEAVILY. If they did anything else rowdy... well then we all know they would have been shot by the Air Marshal.

If they get 20 years for trying to get their rocks off and being scum by backtalking and thinking the rules don't apply to them, then that's rediculous. Fines, maybe a little jail time in a resort jail- but sending them away for 20 years is Third Reich, not America.

Just call it for what it is- the same people that were used by the Nazi elite are the same types of people screaming "it violates the patriot act!! bla bla bla nah nah nah nah wah wah wah wah!" These people are gross. I read somewhere that there was a test done by border patrol officials to try and smuggle in a dummy-WMD through the border and were successful, then went back and tightened up the security pertaining to the smuggle. All this worry about airplanes, IM worried about what can get across the borders. Do you think terrorists would really be dumb enough (well maybe dumb, but their leaders sure aren't) to attack a plane again? I think not. All this security is nonsense. You can thank the defense industry now for all their contributions and stock in chaos... they sure did the trick didn't they.

Brave New World...

[edit on 24-11-2006 by jaguarmike]

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 07:58 AM
link   
I imagine that depending what type of judge they get . . . the case against them can get very technical into the patriot act rules.

If the judge is pro war on terror and believe in the patriot act as the law to be truth, he has the choice to rule under.

That is scary, let hope that the entire case under the patriot act is dismissed and only charges for causing problems in the airplane are use.

I definetely be following this case.

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 10:47 AM
link   
The point that many here seem to be missing is that this couple is being charged for interfering with a crew member--a charge that's been around for years (even before 911). The patriot act only gives the charge more teeth because in the past, it has resulted in barely more than a slap on the wrist; a punishment that is hardly enough in most cases (I say this from the perspective of a pilot).

"Interfering with a crew member" is an FAA term that's meant to be vague so as to apply to a broad spectrum of violations; including failing to comply with the instructions/orders of a flight attendant. As I understand it, this couple was told to cool it and the male became verbally aggressive/abusive toward the flight attendent. This is unacceptable behavior because it could have a direct impact on safety. I guarantee that if you were a fellow passenger sitting next to this couple that last thing on your mind would be whether the law is too harsh!

My only concern is whether the law will be universally applied. I understand that those Imams removed from the USAirways flight also failed to comply with the instructions of crew members. Yet polictical correctness seems to be running interference on any appropriate charges being levied against those men.

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freedom_for_sum

I guarantee that if you were a fellow passenger sitting next to this couple that last thing on your mind would be whether the law is too harsh!

Actually everytime I flew before the airplane was too full for anybody to do anything.

And if I had been sitting next to the couple in question, I would have been able to see if what they did was true of just passenger paranoia and crew ride of power here say.

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I'm not sure what you mean by "crew ride of power here say". Are you implying that this crew might have been on a "power trip?" If so, I can tell you that there is no need for them to be on a "power trip". They are fully empowered by the FAA and law enforcement to engage passengers, as necessary, for safety of flight reasons. If passengers are behaving in a manner that is making other passengers "uncomfortable", crew members have all the authority they need to make the passengers stop; including physical force, if necessary.

I suggest that if you're on a flight and are requested by a crew member to do something--or stop doing something; you should probably listen!!

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Actually everytime I flew before the airplane was too full for anybody to do anything.

Airplanes are never that full Marg. Use your imagination, think Bathroom

Or better yet imagine what goes on aboard Greyhound buses that are always full and the bathrooms too small

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by shots

Airplanes are never that full Marg. Use your imagination, think Bathroom

Or better yet imagine what goes on aboard Greyhound buses that are always full and the bathrooms too small

I have been in their bathrooms and I can barely fit myself in the space allowed, and I am a petite women.

I have never been in a Greyhound bus but . . .just a couple days ago I told my husband that I need it to experience a trip in one of them.

I have tried the subway, and Amtrak

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
I wonder how this couple would have been treated if there were no such thing as the patriot act?

Would they have been then charged under "FAA regulations"?

Suspicion of sexual activity, and not doing what a flight attendant asks you to do.
Probably same result.

Threating a flight crew member, and a flight attendent does count as that, is a crime. People can spin it all you want as they are in jail for getting frisky, but thats not it.

People threatening flight crew is taken very seriously. For those people who think this is just about them kissing, how about you say the same thing to a flight attendent, I bet you will get a similar result.

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I'm sure if the investigation turns up that they weren't really threatening, just some backtalk, they'll get some deal from the U.S. Attorney for just probation or something, as long as they accept that. But, if there are manditory minimum federal guidellnes attached to this law and it goes to a jury and they're found guilty, it is possible they could do serious time in federal prison.

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 05:44 PM
link   
well these laws cross the line of our basic rights.

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheOne1989
well these laws cross the line of our basic rights.

Really?!? What, exactly, are your "basic rights"? Site your source please.

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Well with the patriot act and the openness to be interpreted as per case.

Our rights, actually can be none existent depending of the judge that will be assigned to read the case.

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 08:41 PM
link   

They were arrested because they allegedly threatened a flight attendant who told them to stop - something the couple denies.

www.insideedition.com...

There's the whole issue in one sentence.

The Patriot Act was not invoked because they were kissing.

It was invoked "because they allegedly threatened a flight attendant."

If making out on an airplane isn't stupid enough, threatening a flight attendant surely takes the cake.

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 09:05 PM
link   
What most of you are being ignorant with is that it might have looked like ORAL SEX. His head in her lap? It could have looked suspicious, which is why some passengers were becoming uncomfortable. The whole reason its under the Patriot Act is because of the threat, not the intimate situation they were in.

Don't try to stretch the story and say "AHHH, UNDER THE PATRIOT ACT, KISSING MAKES YOU A TERRORIST"

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join