It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Console Wars

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2006 @ 10:10 PM
link   
It's just a rumor I saw on IGN, and for all I know it could have been a joke, but it didn't sound like it. I personally seriously doubt it, but if I run into the link I'll post it here.

EDIT: I just checked and it seems that it was a Joke, so forget I said it. I still think that a Fourth party is gonna launch soon(soon as in the next 2-3 years), but that is just a hunch.

[edit on 3-12-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 07:45 PM
link   
people used to say things like , the wii will be the last console nintendo ever makes. well nintendo is about to make more money this year then they even imagined. its not even the wii that is helping nintendo cash it big time. the ds is probably hotter then the xbox360, ps3, or wii. how many sold now? i think i heard 27 million but i could be wrong. sorry sony fanboys, this will NOT be nintendos last home console.

biz.gamedaily.com...

Nintendo is already expecting annual sales to be up 45 percent with operating profit up over 60 percent, and now President Satoru Iwata (right) has said the company may even beat that. Additionally, we've got some of the first Wii sales numbers for Japan, straight from Famitsu publisher Enterbrain.

what does nintendo think about their laughed at approach to the game market with the wii and ds ?

nintendos response to people who laughed at the ds and wii

[edit on 5-12-2006 by elitegamer23]

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 07:58 AM
link   
360 8,316,691
Wii 1,306,139
PS3 421,444

[edit on 11-12-2006 by sardion2000]

[edit on 11-12-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 11:02 AM
link   
sony has a patent for a device similar to the wiimote

the patent was filed on June 7, 2005

the wiimote was unveiled on september 17, 2005

link goes to patent

now, this may give sony the ability to take away any third party exclusives

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by elitegamer23
people used to say things like , the wii will be the last console nintendo ever makes.

When I first heard of it--back when it was the "Revolution" (still like that name better, but...)--that's what I was thinking myself, especially after hearing all of the varied uses for the GameCube, none of which included playing video games. Kinda bummed me out, having cut my gaming teeth on the NES and holding on to my SNES throughout most of the PS1's life. (Never made the jump to the 64 though...) I figured the Revolution would be Nintendo's last ditch effort and would fail miserably, and I pretty much solidified that when I heard about the name change ("Wii?" What the hell is "Wii?")

Seeing a clip like this makes me seriously reconsider though. Granted, this girl is probably being heavily medicated now that the proper authorities have probably seen this clip. But she's obviously having fun with the damned thing, and that's more important than anything IMO--more people are going to buy a system they know they'll have fun with than someone who just wants pretty graphics. I've played text based games and games with stick figure characters that I've had a lot more fun with than a lot of top-dollar PS2 games.

I'm not a fanboy of any console; I'm stuck with my PS2 and I'd buy all three of the next gen if I could. But I think Nintendo's pulling themselves out of the GC hole at last with this thing.

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I know more Xbox fans that Playstation fans. Those Xbox fans happen to hate the Playstation for many reasons.

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 05:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
sony has a patent for a device similar to the wiimote

the patent was filed on June 7, 2005

the wiimote was unveiled on september 17, 2005

link goes to patent

now, this may give sony the ability to take away any third party exclusives

Umm, no.

This is the Abstract
Executable code and data are stored in a relocatable component file format (RCFF) to allow dynamic loading of executable code and data at runtime into memory accessible by a processor running an application program. A component manager manages access to the RCFF component and stores additional information within the RCFF component so that the RCFF component can be loaded, unloaded, and/or repeatedly relocated in memory. The application program desiring access to a function or data in the RCFF component passes the name of the RCFF component and the name of the function or data to the component manager. The component manager determines the location of the function or data, calculates the address of the function or data, and returns the address back to the application program. The application program calls the RCFF component through a function pointer or an indirection, depending on the language being used.

The bold part probably threw you off. A Function Pointer isn't what I think you think it is.

Here is a tutorial on something called "Function Pointers"

www.newty.de...

1.1 What is a Function Pointer?

Function Pointers are pointers, i.e. variables, which point to the address of a function. You must keep in mind, that a running program gets a certain space in the main-memory. Both, the executable compiled program code and the used variables, are put inside this memory. Thus a function in the program code is, like e.g. a character field, nothing else than an address. It is only important how you, or better your compiler/processor, interpret the memory a pointer points to.

This is a software patent. Nothing more, just a bunch of FUD. Nice try though.

But I think Nintendo's pulling themselves out of the GC hole at last with this thing.

Just to note, Nintendo didn't lose any money on the Gamecube.

[edit on 12-12-2006 by sardion2000]

[edit on 12-12-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Yeah, but they did lose a LOT of fans. I think the wii is an awesome console, but they need to make some good games that arent so family friendly. they need their own halo killer game. I wish theyd go back to the days of goldeneye and perfect dark.

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 07:04 AM
link   
They got Red Steel and Call of Duty 3. Not Halo killers for sure, but one will come out. Counter Strike Source would be kick ass on the Wii.

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 10:06 AM
link   
sardion, truttseeker got the gist of my point on the GC--I didn't mean a financial hole, but more a reputation hole. I could be wrong, but I don't recall seeing a thread similar to this one for any other console ever developed

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Awe, that's traditional though. I remember Nintendo Power doing something like this for the SNES system way back when. The funniest was using it as a toaster oven(okay so it wasn't that funny, but I was young and impressionable and easily amused back then)

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 07:39 AM
link   
i liked my gc, even though i sold it. the gamecube actually had some pretty decent games. i sold the console because i plan on getting a wii, but (most of) the games i kept, as well as the controllers.

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 04:18 PM
link   
UPDATE!

nintendo has announced they sold 2 million. nextgen hasnt updated , but this site has.

www.vgcharts.org...

xbox360= 8.4 million

wii = 2million

ps3 = 650,000

the xbox and wii are playing beyond the ps3. where has all the hype for the ps3 gone? all the ps3 fanboys bragged the ps3 up before the launch , but its here and i dont hear anything wonderful, unless you are talking about gow or wii.

peace

[edit on 13-12-2006 by elitegamer23]

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 04:31 PM
link   

[edit on 13-12-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 06:08 PM
link   
#1 Problem with the PS3 is $$$$. It's what, $600? Okay, it's got blu-ray, and it's got the processing power of the space shuttle; that doesn't get mom and dad to fork over almost a month's rent for a single x-mas present, let alone one you'll need to feed with games for it's lifetime. Also, if I'm not mistaken, Sony didn't exactly flood the market either (mistake #2)

I've seen some people playing it at the stores--haven't tried it myself yet, but... Looks great IMO; if I had the cash, I'd get one without batting an eyelash. All the hype probably disappeared because everyone who bragged about it is busy working double shifts at two jobs to get it.

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by elitegamer23
UPDATE!

nintendo has announced they sold 2 million. nextgen hasnt updated , but this site has.

www.vgcharts.org...

xbox360= 8.4 million

wii = 2million

ps3 = 650,000

the xbox and wii are playing beyond the ps3. where has all the hype for the ps3 gone? all the ps3 fanboys bragged the ps3 up before the launch , but its here and i dont hear anything wonderful, unless you are talking about gow or wii.

peace

[edit on 13-12-2006 by elitegamer23]

i was a ps fanboy...well fangirl actually, since i'm not a guy. i had all the previous systems from this recently passed generation. while i liked all 3 systems, i admit the ps2 got the most playtime outta me, so i was really looking forward till the ps3...at least until their e3 showing. then i got really disappointed. and uninterested. it didn't happen that fast though. i probably lost the most ps3 interest around late september or so. the wii always had my curiosity, especially in the months after their e3 showing. and my bro had already picked up the 360, so i never planned to buy that one. as it is though i'm still a fence sitter between the ps3 and the wii. with all the things i've heard about the wii it's kinda hard trying to resist just going out and buying one(assuming i can find it). and while i hope to own a ps3, it's too out of my budget right now, and looks to be for at least several months.
(considering i get a wii + 1 extra wiimote-nunchuck combo, along with zelda should run up about $360 + tax = approx. $370; vs ps3 60 gig--i don't want the gimped version-- + 1 extra controller + resistance = $710 + tax = apprx $720)
i'm looking at around late jan/early feb. to pick up a wii. the ps3 though probably won't come for a while, maybe sometime next year, and that's only on the hope that there's some kind of price drop.

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Check this out.

Search Trends

I like this pic.

[edit on 14-12-2006 by sardion2000]

[edit on 14-12-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Jan, 5 2007 @ 02:50 PM
link   
you can finally buy ps3 and wii in stores. im sure they dont sit on shelfs long, but its getting easier and easier to find them. yesterday in my home town i went to walmart at noon and saw 2 wii and 1 ps3. while i was buying a game someone called looking for a wii. an hour later i came back to walmart cuz i forgot something and i decided to check out game section out of habit. to my suprise there was a 3rd wii. im not sure if they restocked some, because i was expecting just one wii considering someone just called to buy one earlier and 2-1 does not equal 3.anyways

later that nite i went shopping in iowa city , a decent size college town. at walmart they had 2 ps3 and no wii. i was amazed. that makes 3 wii and 3 ps3 that i have seen ready to buy .

my goofy ass then decided to go to davenport which is roughly 300,000 people and i stopped at walmart again. 2 more ps3, no wii. all 3 walmarts had ps3 in stock only one had wii.

by the time i was done shopping yesterday i ran across 3 chances to buy a ps3 and one chance to buy a wii. the war is going to take shape now that people can simply go pick up what they want. im sorry this is long and drug out, i have some stupid chick who wont quit messaging me on my phone and she is distracting me. anyways my kid and i are going for some food, peace.

[edit on 5-1-2007 by elitegamer23]

[edit on 5-1-2007 by elitegamer23]

JbT

posted on Jan, 5 2007 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Just a heads up to the people about the whole "Blue-ray VS. HD-DVD War".

www.joystiq.com...

That link tells about a new disk format that Warner Bros. is rolling out new week that works on both HD-DVD & Blue-Ray players, and they seem to hint in this article that it will virtually eliminate the "wars" between choosing 360 or PS3 in terms of what disk format they support.... ITS ALL ABOUT THE GAMES AGAIN BABY!

Warner Bros has announced it will unveil a videodisc next week, dubbed Total HD, that plays in both HD DVD and Blu-ray drives. We've known about this decision since September, when the studio filed a patent for such a disc. (Though the patent mentions embedded DVD, this news report doesn't.)

The ramifications of such a disc, if it's priced to compete, would render the format wars obsolete. If you're planning on buying a new-gen game console based on the HD disc it can play (and the PlayStation 3 is a bargain for a Blu-ray player), the adoption of Total HD discs would make the decision a tad easier (and more game-specific).

Will the disc have the goods? We'll find out the full details next week at the Consumer Electronics Show.

posted on Jan, 5 2007 @ 05:16 PM
link   
and thus it is 2007

the year in which we will finally see how this console war turns out

let's look at the standing from 08

sony is in the lead with both the ps2 and ps3 (mostly the ps2)
microsoft is in second with the xbox and 360
and nintendo is making up from their loss from the gamecube with the wii

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join