It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Console Wars

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2007 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Don't forget about the PSP.

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by thehumbleone

how could you say that without saying "dont forget about the gameboy ds "

here is an update on the 3 consoles.

www.vgcharts.org...
nexgenwars.com...

xbox 360 = approximately 10 mil

wii = approximately 4 mil

ps3 = approximately 1.5 mil

peace

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 08:57 PM
link   
i just realized something about the Wii and it's low low price

it may experience these huge sales for only a relatively short period of time, and then eventually anyone who would have gotten a Wii will and sales may lag

though this may not happen
i'm not an analyst, just throwing out a possibility

the PS3 is already selling well considering it's pricepoint (beating out the 360's 600K launch figure) and sales seem to be increasing steadily
this trend may continue
or it may eventually stagnate at a consistent sales figure

and the 360 is seemingly losing sales now that this generation is truely here
the Wii and PS3 are blocking one of the biggest selling point that the 360 had, the fact that it was the only system of it's generation

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 09:09 PM
link   
I agree with madness, the wii's sales may be good for a new console, but I don't think it will have endurance in the long run.

Just watch, the PS3 will have great endurance and outsell The 360 and Wii.

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by elitegamer23

how could you say that without saying "dont forget about the gameboy ds "

here is an update on the 3 consoles.

www.vgcharts.org...

Seems like the DS has the biggest lead in Japan, Guess the Japanese like kiddie games.

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 05:41 PM
link   

You're ignoring history. Any console that is above a certain price point(which the PS3 definitely is), always fails. Atari made this mistake as did 3DO and now we see Sony making the exact same blunder. Meanwhile as Sony is struggling to get to 1.5 million sold, Microsoft is sitting comfortably at over 10 million sold. This race will turn out like the last one did, (PS2 vs. XBox). One console will release a year before the other and will attain an impassable lead. :shrug:

For the High End, Microsoft will win on it's strong Online presence and extremely effective marketing as well as various other things like IPTV and Vista tie-ins.

For the Medium End, Nintendo wins by default since they got no competition.

For the Low End, Nintendo wins hands down. The DS:Lite is appealing to a wide range of people from Kids to Adults(games like Brain Age and Trauma Center are the killer appz for the DS:Lite).

Seems like the DS has the biggest lead in Japan, Guess the Japanese like kiddie games.

That rhetoric is so 1995.
I have not yet met a kid who is willing to play Trauma Center on the DS nor have I got any of them to try out Brain Age.

Family Console != Kiddie Console.

Godfather Wii port

it may experience these huge sales for only a relatively short period of time, and then eventually anyone who would have gotten a Wii will and sales may lag

People said the same thing about the DS:Lite (Including me) and everybody turned out to be wrong. The new guy they got at the helm knows what he's doing and is courting a few notable companies to either port PC games to the Wii or make completely original versions of existing licenses. If Rockstar were to come out with a GTA3:Wii Anthology... well lets just say that it will cause a huge stir especially in the media(as we all know that game makes everyone who plays it go out and carjack and kill hookers and what now
).

[edit on 19-1-2007 by sardion2000]

[edit on 19-1-2007 by sardion2000]

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000

You're ignoring history. Any console that is above a certain price point(which the PS3 definitely is), always fails. Atari made this mistake as did 3DO and now we see Sony making the exact same blunder. Meanwhile as Sony is struggling to get to 1.5 million sold, Microsoft is sitting comfortably at over 10 million sold. This race will turn out like the last one did, (PS2 vs. XBox). One console will release a year before the other and will attain an impassable lead. :shrug:

You're kidding right, You don't think 1.5 million is impressive considering:

A. The price point

B. It has not yet been released in Europe.

C. Just recently came out

D. The huge launch shortage.

PS3 has been selling remarkably well considering these points I just made.

[edit on 19-1-2007 by thehumbleone]

JbT

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 06:18 PM
link   
I will say this, being an owner of 360, and having played a Wii a fair amount.

I can truly see how PS3 is going to out-do the 360 with coming games and more time to prefect the movement controls and place them into future games with Sonys Six-Axis Controller. Apart from loosing the rumble effect, this controller is brilliant!!!

Where Wii has a little bit of stigma to some people who would rather just use a typical controller. Sony has hit the nail on the head. Six-Axis control provides the next-gen movement capability without having to get out of your chair and move around like that 12 year old you see in the commercials.

If you really want to move around a lot, Wii is for you. But Im betting that the future sales of PS3's with the upcoming full next-gen games will be sky rocketing, all based on the Six-Axis Controller and that little edge it has over 360 in this way.

IMO, I put it like this:

~Wii is a multi generation console for all ages, and all kinds of gamers, especially casual gamers. Being all this, it to me is in a catagory of its own. Apart from the 360 and PS3 as it really is not competiton stats wise. Also, its price is at a point where some people could buy both a Wii and 360/PS3 and be very happy as thats about what you would pay for a top of the line CPU to play games with.

~360 & PS3 is the real console war. Wii will have its fans, but I think the majority of console gamers will end up with either both a Wii and 360/PS3, or just a 360/PS3.

~PS3 in the end will win out the console war because of its far superior controller, which will make some games more "in-depth" and intuitive because of the Six-Axis next gen technology. Again, Im a 360 owner, and I feel I'm going to need to buy a PS3 at some point to get the best game play with the best controller... Especially if there is PS3 only games that are heavy on the Six-Axis control features.

Trust me, the Six-Axis Controller is "all that and a bag of chips". Try it for yourself.

[edit on 19-1-2007 by JbT]

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 06:25 PM
link   
JbT, I agree with everything you said.

JbT

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 06:31 PM
link   

JbT, I agree with everything you said.

Thanks mate. Ive been doing a little research if you cant tell.

Honestly, I was in EBgames getting my WoW expansion pack, and was talking about this kind of thing there and the manager offered me a job right then and there. Rofl
I told him I have a great job, but thanks anyways

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 07:22 PM
link   
well, one other thing that the PS3 has is that the 360 is peaking incredibly quickly in terms of graphics

the PS3 is already matching the top performance of the 360, and has so much more potential

also, if you look at the PS3's pricepoint, it's not that bad when adjusted for inflation

it's not going to fail simply because of how versatile it is

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
well, one other thing that the PS3 has is that the 360 is peaking incredibly quickly in terms of graphics

the PS3 is already matching the top performance of the 360, and has so much more potential

also, if you look at the PS3's pricepoint, it's not that bad when adjusted for inflation

it's not going to fail simply because of how versatile it is

Yes, I have said many times that the ps3 is still in its "graphical cocoon", in about 1 year the graphics are gonna blow the 360's out of the water.

Madness, I agree about the price point, it's a bargain considering it has Blu-Ray playback. I also hear Sony was even selling the PS3 like at a 300 dollar loss.

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 09:27 PM
link   
ive heard the dreamcast rumor .

i saw an article somewhere the other day that said its time for a fourth console to enter the market. it made it sound like it was inevitable. will it be the dc2? i would love that !!!

murcielago would u like to update me on the numbers for the console war. please i cant seem to find any links showing me the current market numbers.

peace~!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join