It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Console Wars

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 06:01 PM
link   
here are the current numbers nexgenwars.com...

xbox 7,224,497

wii 714,867

ps3 269,148

most stuff i have read has sony winning this battle . i read something that said in the year 2012 sony will have sold 150 million ps3. xbox 75 million and wii 23 million.

i saw one article that had xbox winning the console war, because it dominates the american market.

nothing has the wii outselling the other 2 .

the current numbers mean nothing at the moment really, this is a fight that happens over 5 years and u dont start seeing a clear winner till year two or three.

the end of year goals for the three are something like this.

xbox 10 million sold
wii 4 million sold
ps3 .5-2 million sold or something like that

fight on!

posted on Nov, 23 2006 @ 08:52 PM
link   
for some reason now the wii has 200,000 less systems sold . here are revised numbers from nexgenwars.com as of 11/23/06.

xbox 7,391,135

wii 478,934

ps3 285,628

the xbox is still selling very nicely. tomorrow is the big shopping day in the usa, if the wii can get alot of systems on the shelves for tomorrow, they will sell out. im not sure why the wii numbers dropped so much from the first post.
pz

posted on Nov, 23 2006 @ 11:19 PM
link   
hmm...i think it's a little too early to start tallying up console sales. the wii is shy at week old, at least to the general public, and the ps3 has barely gotten off the ground. maybe in 6 months to a year, when all three consoles are (or should be) well established, will it be a better time to accurately gauge the direction each console is taking. personally, i hope they all do well, seeing as how i eventually hope to won all three systems. more competition equals better games for me!

EDIT: spelling

[edit on 23-11-2006 by karby]

posted on Nov, 23 2006 @ 11:21 PM
link   

ps3 285,628

wierd because 400,000 units were shipped i think and all were sold out.

posted on Nov, 23 2006 @ 11:50 PM
link   
i read somewhere that sony only shipped 200,000. they absolutely will not meet their goal of 4-2 million this year.

the funny thing about the ps3 is something like 20% are on ebay right now.

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by elitegamer23
i read somewhere that sony only shipped 200,000. they absolutely will not meet their goal of 4-2 million this year.

I believe the goal has been 1 million by the end of the year since a few weeks before launch. I also heard that they did come up short of 400,000 , but I can't say that for a fact. Speaking of ebay, my friend said that some "lucky" person was fortunate enough to buy a PS3 on ebay for like $30,000. I don't know if that's true, but if somebody bought me any game console for that much I would slap them.

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I'd like to add that I have been going out at night and breaking into other peoples houses, and stealing their PS2s.

I then leave a note that is rather threatening, and I sign it with "The XBOX Bandit"

Mind you, I am joking, but I often have dreams of millions of PS2s in a big pile burning into the night sky.

Such a beautiful dream.....

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by elitegamer23

I think it's closer to 25%. I was also browsing for the other consoles and I found a 360 goin for only 270 + 5 games. Talk about a desperate college student. For those of you reading this and who want a PS3, wait a year and you'll be able to buy one for half the price on EBay if you're persistent.

posted on Dec, 3 2006 @ 04:57 PM
link   
360 = 7,912,554
PS3 = 362,141
Wii = 1,145,802

posted on Dec, 3 2006 @ 08:27 PM
link   
xbox 360 = -$$$
ps3 = -$$$
wii= these things print money!

posted on Dec, 3 2006 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Actually the 360 is selling for a profit now. MS is looking like it will break even by the end of '07 with the expected system seller releases, GTA 4, Assassins Creed, Mass Effect, and Halo 3. The first and last games are guaranteed system sellers and could account for a few million console sales for each game. AC and ME are still up in the air but just check out these games...

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

posted on Dec, 3 2006 @ 08:38 PM
link   
the xbox is making money now. that is good news for M$. im led to believe they are still over a billion in the hole from the xbox and xbox360 though. when do they plan on seeing a real profit?

what i like about this generation of gaming is nintendo though outside the box , and everyone laughed. look at the sale numbers and profits made from the ds and the wii. nintendo is getting the last laugh.

i have seen the mass effect trailor. i might get a 360 some time next year just to play this game.

[edit on 3-12-2006 by elitegamer23]

posted on Dec, 3 2006 @ 08:51 PM
link   
The Wii and PS3 could sell millions if they could get them to the public fast enough. I think the Wii has a little bit of an advantage simply because of the price and it has turned out to be a pretty fun system. I think by this time next year the xbox could be sitting in last place and the xbox really is not that bad of a system. It has great online play.

posted on Dec, 3 2006 @ 09:12 PM
link   

the xbox is making money now. that is good news for M$. im led to believe they are still over a billion in the hole from the xbox and xbox360 though. when do they plan on seeing a real profit?

According to the Business channel: they said that according to Microsoft's "Medium Term" Guidance that they will be looking for a profit in mid to late '07 and that it will significantly effect their bottom line if it succeeds and if it fails then they are big enough to absorb the hit.

I think by this time next year the xbox could be sitting in last place and the xbox really is not that bad of a system. It has great online play.

I doubt it. I think that MS will split the market nearly 50/50 with whoever wins the war in the Nintendo/Sony battle.

posted on Dec, 3 2006 @ 09:17 PM
link   
i read an awesome article the other day that said, the winner of every console war is the system that GROWS the market. it made total sense and it went all the way back to the atari days. never has the most powerful system won the console war. it always comes down to who grows the market. dont count the wii out,it could have 50% market share in 5 years. its really the only system that attempts to grow the gaming market.

posted on Dec, 3 2006 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Yeah, and the PS2 drew people in because it could play DVD movies. It wasn't the most powerful, even the Dreamcast was more powerful, but it offered something that others at the time didn't(until the XBox came out that is).

posted on Dec, 3 2006 @ 09:30 PM
link   
ill search for that article that i read. it goes all the way back. NEVER has the most powerful system sold more. when the 32 bit ps1 was out, u could play 64bit gaming on the atari jaguar, but it died. the gameboy vs gamegear? the weaker gameboy totally pwned the gamegear. the nes owned the sms even though the sms was more powerful. the list goes on, ill find that article for u.

peace

posted on Dec, 3 2006 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I do know a lot of people who own the Wii right now who didn't own Xbox or a PS2. I'm only saying Xbox will be in last place right now because I can go down to any department store and see lots of them just sitting on the shelves. There is not a huge demand for them right now. If they lower their price, maybe they will draw more. But both Wii and PS3 could sell millions by Christmas if they could get them in the store faster. I purchased the Wii on launch with a group of about 15 other friends and we love it. I think in reality all 3 systems will have pretty good years. At this point I can’t see any of them being called a failure, which I think is a good thing. I am the type of person that believes better competition makes for better products.

posted on Dec, 3 2006 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I personally think that the Industry as a whole has come to the point where it can viably support 3 consoles and perhaps even a fourth. If sega had only held off on the Dreamcast idea until now, it may have succeeded. Although there have been persistent rumors that say Sega is in fact making a Dreamcast 2, but I'll believe it when I see it.

I do know a lot of people who own the Wii right now who didn't own Xbox or a PS2. I'm only saying Xbox will be in last place right now because I can go down to any department store and see lots of them just sitting on the shelves.

The console has been around for at least a generation and a half(game generations so a year and a half) and the 3rd generation games are looking sweet. I don't see Sony beating Microsoft this time around. They botched the launch, the momentum is strongly in favor of Nintendo right now and they have lost a whole legion of guaranteed gamers support by losing it's beloved GTA Temporary Exclusivity. It lost Assassins Creed Exclusive. MS has sold nearly 8 million consoles and have stores well stocked for their inevitable price cut which will come just in time for some big releases. The summer of GTA 4 is going to be Microsofts biggest quarter in the gaming biz yet. Do not underestimate the power of Marketing. The ball is in Microsofts court for the High End Console Market. Nintendo has a Monopoly in the Low end console market which is why I think that a 4th player could come out of the woodworks sooner rather than later.

I think the biggest question is this: Who is gonna get to 100 million units shipped first? How fast will it happen?

[edit on 3-12-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Dec, 3 2006 @ 10:08 PM
link   
can you show me any links to that dreamcast 2 rumor? that would be really cool if they did.

[edit on 3-12-2006 by thehumbleone]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join