It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Discovery Of Electrostatic Spin Topples Century-Old Theory

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Discovery Of Electrostatic Spin Topples Century-Old Theory

New physical phenomenon will likely impact atomic physics, chemistry and nanotechnology.

RIVERSIDE, Calif. -- In a discovery that is likely to impact fields as diverse as atomic physics, chemistry and nanotechnology, researchers have identified a new physical phenomenon, electrostatic rotation, that, in the absence of friction, leads to spin. Because the electric force is one of the fundamental forces of nature, this leap forward in understanding may help reveal how the smallest building blocks in nature react to form solids, liquids and gases that constitute the material world around us.

Scientists Anders Wistrom and Armik Khachatourian of University of California, Riverside first observed the electrostatic rotation in static experiments that consisted of three metal spheres suspended by thin metal wires, and published their observations in Applied Physics Letters. When a DC voltage was applied to the spheres they began to rotate until the stiffness of the suspending wires prevented further rotation. The observed electrostatic rotation was not expected and could not be explained by available theory.

Wistrom and Khachatourian designed the study with concepts they had developed earlier. "Experimental and theoretical work from our laboratory suggested that the cumulative effect of electric charges would be an asymmetric force if the charges sitting on the surface of spheres were asymmetrically distributed," said Wistrom. "In the experiments, we could control the charge distribution by controlling the relative position of the three spheres."

Article

Mod Edit: Posting work written by others.– Please Review This Link.
Mod Note (This Appears On Every New Thread/Post Reply Page): MEMBERS: Do not simply post news articles in the forums without comment. If you feel inclined to make the board aware of current events, please post the first paragraph, a link to the entire story, AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item.

[edit on 21/11/2006 by Umbrax]

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Significant finding indeed. So you mean to say that the academics don't know everything yet? They sure act like they do I'll tell ya.

Maybe we are closer to anti-grav then we think.

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 12:28 AM
link   
does this mean that though electrostatic spin, sub-atomic particles created atomic particles, which in turn created all forms of larger matter?

does this finally answer the christians questions of how things formed from very small particles?

is the is beginning of the end of creationism?

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Thank you Wistrom and Khachatourian.

I knew electricity played a role in gravity. It is fitting together nicely. One piece at a time.

JohnnyAnonymous, you are a beautiful person, no matter what anybody else says about ya.

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I have a question...

On the cosmological scale, is this principle of electrostatic spin the reason that the sun spins, as do the planets as they orbit?

I've long wondered if the behaviour of stellar bodies is just a vastly scaled-up reflection of what goes on at the quantum level

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 12:07 PM
link   
That article is confusing. At worst, it's wrong in its interpretation of what the scientists did, and at best, misleading.

It says it topples the theory, but at the same time it says:

"It is very satisfying to learn that electrostatic rotation can be predicted by the simple laws of voltage and force that date back at least 200 years," Wistrom said.

I'm fairly certain that nothing is toppled. I think, rather, it's a new application of a 200 year-old theory. If I stop trying to think it topples any theory, then the article makes sense.

I think I found the original paper here, but alas, it requires a membership or some money to get the whole thing. Just from the abstract, though, I'm pretty certain that it's just a new application of an old theory.

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by prototism

does this finally answer the christians questions of how things formed from very small particles?

is the is beginning of the end of creationism?

Not by any means. Somebody had to be there to turn the light switch on, if you will.
This discovery may only have helped identify one of the means in which He created this universe. A God so omnipotent having created this existence as we know it would probably utilize a little bit more than scissors and glue to fabricate the universe.

top topics

join