It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hillary Vows to Revisit Healthcare

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Hillary Clinton has stated that healthcare will be one of the priorities of the newly elected congress. She said that "It may be a bad dream for some." Ms. Clinton was appointed head of a Task Force to study health care reform under her husband's administration, a measure that failed in large part because the plan lacked structure and was feared to result in huge costs for employers and fewer choices for consumers.

www.newsmax.com
Since cruising to re-election last week against a weak Republican challenger, Clinton has parried repeated questions about her political future. While she hasn't disclosed her plans, polls show her the clear front-runner for the 2008 Democratic presidential nomination, with a national infrastructure of strategists and advisers and at least $10 million in her campaign account.

In her remarks, Clinton outlined a range of challenges she said Democrats would tackle in the coming months, such as trimming the federal deficit, reducing dependence on foreign oil, and improving the image of the United States abroad.

She also said Democrats would focus on improving the quality and affordability of health care - a touchy matter for the former first lady, who in 1993 led her husband's calamitous attempt to overhaul the nation's health care system. The failure of that effort helped Republicans win control of both the Senate and House the following year.

"Health care is coming back," Clinton warned, adding, "It may be a bad dream for some."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The original Clinton plan was vague and fuzzy, but many critics agreed that it would raise taxes and cause many small businesses to fail. It was roundly opposed by Republicans and Democrats alike. Maybe we'll hear more details on this latest plan, including how it will be funded. One original funding proposal was a Value Added Tax.

Related News Links:
www.banned-books.com
www.pbs.org
www.ndu.edu

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Wow, I'm kind of surprised she'd bring this up. I thought she's been trying to run away from the 'Hillarycare' fiasco for over a decade now.

Perhaps it's a pre-emptive move to try to get it out of the way early? Or maybe she really thinks she could do a better job discusiing it and has new ideas this time....

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 08:01 PM
link   
I think she has been running away from it because it was politically expedient to do so. With a Republican congress, it would have been political suicide to even broach the subject before now.

But now, she is holding the cards. And we shall see how quickly Hillary slips away from the "centrist" position she has been grooming in advance of her run for the presidency.

posted on Nov, 14 2006 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Oh Vey this could amount to political suicide for her.

I can read the headlines now, Company XXX drops retiree health insurance.

It happened when she first said she was going to get public health insurance, Joy Global/Harnischfeger Industries did just that, so did others.

This will not go over to well with the blue collar workers who are approaching retirement and seniors already retired and could cost her votes.

posted on Nov, 14 2006 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I remember when Clinton had his almost-heart-attack. His heart was so messed up that they needed to do surgery immediately to save his life. (they had to wait 3 days for the meds he was on to clear his system). At the time, all the talking heads on TV said that if Hillary-Care had been enacted then Bill would have lost his life waiting for medical care and surgery.

hmmmmm ... wonder if it's a freudian thing with her??

edited for spelling.

[edit on 11/14/2006 by FlyersFan]

posted on Nov, 14 2006 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Hillary did have a Democratic congress when she was pushing her program which helped the Republicans take it over in 1994. I think much of the backlash was that she was unelected and trying to take people's healthcare programs away to be be replaced with a new huge government bureaucracy basically behind closed doors.

First Ladies should be working on White House Christmas decorations and be touting noncontroversial subjects such as reading and education, not totally usurping an important and large percentage of the economy by the government by disrupting the healthcare system.

If she was elected president, she'd have much more credibility, but I'm still not sure the U.S. is ready for a onepayer system like I think she was originally proposing. A coalition between government and private insurance companies and healthcare providers seems to be much more palatable IMHO.

[edit on 11/14/2006 by djohnsto77]

posted on Nov, 14 2006 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Boy, I bet she does vow to. Didn't she make a killing the first time around?

posted on Nov, 14 2006 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I believe in Hillary's health plan Just like I beleive in Santa Claus. I saw it work in the Movies!

posted on Nov, 14 2006 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Hillary Clinton has stated that healthcare will be one of the priorities of the newly elected congress.

This is a big issue. Most people are choosing to overlook her husband's moral flaws and give him "godlike" status.She is associated with him. If she can be the leader on this issue and bring about some sort of healthcare plan she will earn alot of points on her try to become president.

I kinda look for the democrats to position certain people for a run at the presidency and vice presidency, and try to make them very palatable and desirable to the voting public.

top topics

join