It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Democrats Sweep GOP out of House of Representatives

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 12:42 AM
link   
The result seems clear, the Democrates have won the House of Representatives. GOP is swept out our power, first time since 1994. As for the Senate the race is still too close to conclude anything certain. Only 4 seats in favour of the Republicans seperates the two parties. With 4 states still counting votes, but all having a marginal Democrat lead, it indeed is a close race, that very well could end up even.

news.bbc.co.uk
The White House conceded the Democrats had picked up the 15 net seats needed to wrest power from the Republicans - for the first time in 12 years.

The Democrats are also projected to have won three of six target Senate seats - but several key races remain too close to call.

Most polls have now closed across the US, with high turnout reported.

The Democrats focused on voters' anger over the Iraq war during their campaign, while the Republicans stressed their own stance on security.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

A sigh of relief goes through the corridors of power in at least some places of this world right now. But I do dare say, relief and joy is what the majority of people around the world following this election feel.

Relief from the fear of what an exalted war, spinning out of control, will lead to. Joy over justice now at least might get a chance to prevail on a more sound judgement than that seen from the war-mongering, scandal-ridden Republicans.

I do dare say, as for Europe, the black and white picture of American politic, has always been the "good' Democrates versus the "bad" Republicans.

Now we only have to see whether, a stubborn, manipulated and - some say - not too bright President will heed the voice of the people or still more blood of American youth along with that of inocent civilians has to run down the drain of pride.

Related News Links:
www.washingtonpost.com

[edit on 8-11-2006 by khunmoon]

[edit on 11-8-2006 by Springer]

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 07:58 AM
link   
DOWN IN FLAMES!!! The people have spoken!! Now we wait two more years to overturn the executive!

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Matyas
DOWN IN FLAMES!!! The people have spoken!! Now we wait two more years to overturn the executive!

Congrats to the Democrats for pulling off a successful campaign. Tough election to be a Republican. Now comes the real test for each party. Getting an actual consensus from both sides of the aisle to get results.

If you think that they are now in power in at least the House and don't have to actually get things done for the next two years, I think you are mistaken. Grid lock will not work for the next two years. Either party that tries that will be in for a world of hurt come 2008. Important decisions need to be made and they can not wait till 2008 to be decided.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 08:55 AM
link   
It's like I always say to democrats when we debate politics. Winning an election isn't really a victory, it just means that they finally have work to do. They've spent so much time complaining about the republicans that I'd be surprised if they remember how to run a government. Anyways, congrats to the Demoncrats, let's see how you do now that you've got what you said you've wanted.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by pavil

Grid lock will not work for the next two years.

I certainly hope you're willing to send that message to President Bush.

He has the power to work with the Dems elected by the people and negotiate reasonable compromise - or he can try to keep riding roughshod on the nation and create a gridlock.

It's up to Bush now.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow

Grid lock will not work for the next two years.

I certainly hope you're willing to send that message to President Bush. .....

It's up to Bush now.

Cmon now, you did read the whole post didn't you?

Either party that tries that will be in for a world of hurt come 2008.

It's up to both sides to get things done, not just the Democrats and not just the Republicans.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 09:35 AM
link   
All seems very well right now, but as for the Senate a blue majority is only very little likely. As it stands in Montana and Virginia the race is so close that recounts are given. For Virginia so close (within 1000) that the only way to settle a result may be by court ruling.

Say the dems win Montana, but loose Virginia, the seats will be even.

In that case it will be like the lesson I've learned from Wiki today:

The Constitution provides that the Vice President of the United States serves as the President of the Senate and holds a vote which can only be cast to break a tie.

So the White House will have the final say anyway.

Being from a European country with a one-chamber system, somebody maybe could explain to me, what role the Senate plays and what the implications are Bush getting the final word there.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 09:55 AM
link   

The Senate is regarded as a more deliberative body than the House of Representatives; the Senate is smaller and its members serve longer terms, allowing for a more collegial and less partisan atmosphere that is somewhat more insulated from public opinion than the House. The Senate has several exclusive powers enumerated in Article One of the Constitution not granted to the House; most significantly, the President cannot ratify treaties or make important appointments without the advice and consent of the Senate.

Using your source that you posted... this is what it has between the Executive and the Legislative.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Cmon now, you did read the whole post didn't you?

Either party that tries that will be in for a world of hurt come 2008.

It's up to both sides to get things done, not just the Democrats and not just the Republicans.

Sorry, you're right.

I missed that line.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 10:06 AM
link   
All I have to say is GOOD LUCK. The Democrats have the ball now...the question is...Can they move it??

Y'all have two years to make an impact...Basically time to put up or shut up!!!!!!!!!

Another thought....I think this is a grand plan by Carl Rove anyway...Give the Dems two years to show who and what they really are, and derail Hillary along the way....When the next election cycle comes to pass, then the Dems will be exposed for what they are....just a thought. See now the Dems are responsible, and MUST start a record that a presidential candidate (Hillary) can run on... So, can they do it??

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow

I certainly hope you're willing to send that message to President Bush.

He has the power to work with the Dems elected by the people and negotiate reasonable compromise - or he can try to keep riding roughshod on the nation and create a gridlock.

It's up to Bush now.

So true. We have had enough with the republicans, now is the democrats turn. Based on voter turnout and election results, it will be interesting to see what Bush does next. Even if he blocks everything the dems attempt, they can at least start forcing accountability and open much needed investigations into the actions of the administration. That fact alone may prove to be very influencing on bush...............hopefully..........

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I heard they won't have the majority until january, is it true? So Bush could declare a war with Iran before that or pass others laws... is it possible?

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 10:35 AM
link   
The terrorists and domestic Islamo-fascists (CAIR) are celebrating now that their allies have taken control. Now we can sit back and watch the various Islamo-alphabet groups slowly gain political power to fulfill their desire to turn the US into an Islamic nation. Of course; they may try but it will NEVER happen. The Dems will be voted out (hopefully) long before that ever happens.

My major concern is the Dems have no staying power and no plan on how to win the war on terrorism. I expect the patriot act to be phased out and Muslim terrorist cells to be phased in. Stand-by for the next major attack on US soil.......................................

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freedom_for_sum
The terrorists and domestic Islamo-fascists (CAIR) are celebrating now that their allies have taken control. Now we can sit back and watch the various Islamo-alphabet groups slowly gain political power to fulfill their desire to turn the US into an Islamic nation. Of course; they may try but it will NEVER happen. The Dems will be voted out (hopefully) long before that ever happens.

My major concern is the Dems have no staying power and no plan on how to win the war on terrorism. I expect the patriot act to be phased out and Muslim terrorist cells to be phased in. Stand-by for the next major attack on US soil.......................................

HAHAHA. You really believe the stuff you just said? HAHAHA. Seriously, return to hell, neo-con.
Islamo-fascist... hahaha a real funny word, people who usually use it are retards... look Bush.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Alright, this is the News Network, decorum folks.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by KnowItAll
All I have to say is GOOD LUCK. The Democrats have the ball now...the question is...Can they move it??

Y'all have two years to make an impact...Basically time to put up or shut up!!!!!!!!!

You say that like there are only Democrats in the house now. It is a two party system and now they will have to work together like they did back in the 90's. If things don't go well, we will blame both parties.

I wish you guys would at least pretend that you really care about this country and wish that if they work together they would succeed. You are all starting to sound like your own party line that the Dems don't want to win the war in Iraq.

I think it is good that the Dems control the house and now there is more balance of power.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo

Originally posted by Freedom_for_sum

HAHAHA. You really believe the stuff you just said? HAHAHA. Seriously, return to hell, neo-con.
Islamo-fascist... hahaha a real funny word, people who usually use it are retards... look Bush.

So TYPICAL!!!! I'll just never understand why people can't exhibit just a modicum of class.....Just like an old football coach told me once when we were winning a big game....ACT LIKE YOU'VE BEEN THERE BEFORE!!!!!!!!!

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 11:05 AM
link   
So...

Who wants to start a betting pool on how soon the new House impeaches Bush?

I give it less than one year before he is impeached.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Well Democrats have the house, senate is still undecided by 2.

One thing that got me is the fact that the abortion issue brought in many states that are supposed to be bible belt states didn't go the way religious rights wanted.

They voted against any abortion ban and that is very interesting.

Most of the voters showing up in high numbers were the young crowd 30 and under.

That means only one think younger people are worry about the Iraq war and what it means to them and the economy and their future.

Also the stem embryonic cell research got a victory.

But the ban of any gay union or marriage prevail in the states that it was an issue.

This tell you that our nation is smart, they look for their future and they are ready to take responsibilities in politics

Democracy has prevailed.

[edit on 8-11-2006 by marg6043]

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 11:06 AM
link   
double post

[edit on 8-11-2006 by marg6043]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join