It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Democrats Sweep GOP out of House of Representatives

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by thelibra
So...

Who wants to start a betting pool on how soon the new House impeaches Bush?

I give it less than one year before he is impeached.

I have a better one to consider...Who wants to bet a terrorist attack will happen sometime over the 24 months? Then some will say..."See, we told you they couldn't protect America." Then we'll have another GOP administration in 2008.
Thoughts?

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hal9000
I wish you guys would at least pretend that you really care about this country and wish that if they work together they would succeed. You are all starting to sound like your own party line that the Dems don't want to win the war in Iraq.
I

I still have concerns about Democratic proposals about Iraq. Regardless of if you were for or against the war in the first place, it is imperative that we succeed in stablizing Iraq now. If we do not, the repercussions will be felt not only in Iraq, but in Pakistan and other nations of the Persian Gulf. We cannot just disengage. We must work together and achieve the goal of a stable Iraq. Republicans and Democrats should share a common goal on succeeding on this, I agree. The Democrats must present their idea of what success in Iraq is to the American Public. So far what I have heard is way too vague.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
I heard they won't have the majority until january, is it true?

The House will be sworn in on January 3, 2007. When this occurs the Democrats will be the majority party as recently elected in the House (Senatorial party control is still up in the air). That said...but both parties will have to work with each other to avaoid grid lock.

Originally posted by Vitchilo
Seriously, return to hell, neo-con.
Islamo-fascist... hahaha a real funny word, people who usually use it are retards... look Bush.

Just because the Democrats have gained the lower House (and possibly the Senate) does not mean or guarantee “more of the same” will not occur. Don't get too excited.

A large number of recently elected Democrats are moderate conservatives to conservative. The house leadership (Speaker) may be very far left, but large sections of the elected members of her party are not…she will have a tremendous amount of work to do.

As an example...the Democrats’ “Real Security” plan speaks to how conservative decision making members lean…

…Rebuild a state-of-the-art military by making the needed investments in equipment and manpower so that we can project power to protect America wherever and whenever necessary
[...]
Eliminate Osama Bin Laden, destroy terrorist networks like al Qaeda, finish the job in Afghanistan, and end the threat posed by the Taliban.

Double the size of our Special Forces, increase our human intelligence capabilities, and ensure our intelligence is free from political pressure.
[…]
Redouble efforts to stop nuclear weapons development in Iran and North Korea.

Democratic Party “Real Security Plan” 2006 overview..emphasis added

It’s very reminiscent in parts of the early Regan platform….?

IMO there will not be much policy change whatsoever. Iraq will be an issue…but even there not much will happen over the next few years. Compromise will be a welcomed norm....

mg

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Pavil, I agree that we cannot leave Iraq in the state it is in. We broke it, we have to fix it. The problem is coming up with a solution to an impossible task. Maybe with two side contributing to the solution, something will happen. I have been hearing about troop redeployment from the Dems, but not anything specific.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 11:18 AM
link   
There are some pretty wild fantasies entertained by the hard core right wing about us liberal and Democrats. The Mush Loosebowels and Michael Savages and Ann Coulter's must be laughing their asses off that their bullhooey is actually believed.

Freedom for Sum may very well believe what he writes but such an attitude is counter-productive. Such demonization does our country no good. It would be much better if he could rise above it.

I have said it once and will say it again...both liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans love their families, their communities and their country. We both see many of the same things wrong with our country, we just differ in solutions, but neither is going to sell their country out...we all want to do what is best for the land that we love.

We have, over the past six years an excellent civics lesson on the dangers of a one party holding all the power...it doesn't matter either, Republican or Democrat...we need checks and balances to make our system work and when one party holds all the cards, we all lose.

BTW The Democratic leadership has already said that impeachment would not be in our countries best interest and that the leadership has ruled that out. We shall see....but if clear and inconvertible evidence that Bush has lied about a BJ then yes nail his cojones to the wall.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shadowflux
It's like I always say to democrats when we debate politics. Winning an election isn't really a victory, it just means that they finally have work to do. They've spent so much time complaining about the republicans that I'd be surprised if they remember how to run a government. Anyways, congrats to the Demoncrats, let's see how you do now that you've got what you said you've wanted.

Excelent. My thoughts exactly! ...

Like, what was the democratic plan for getting out of Iraq, or even a new policy for how it ought to be run? ... Oh.. but they won't get out of Iraq and the policies won't change an inch because they don't actually have any power?!??!??! Dems took the house, by a slim margin, no bill will ever make it.

And don't forget that many of the laws we here on ATS feel infringe on our rights as civilians where...... unanimous in votes.

Other then that, congrats dems! ..

I am very glad dems took Ohio, I am so sick of Republicans here.. they ruined this state.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 11:33 AM
link   
A slim majority? Its looking like they picked up 30+ seats where they only needed15....that is a pretty good gain if you ask me.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Fox News report that Burns in Montana is officially defeated.

[edit on 8-11-2006 by Miconats]

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover
There are some pretty wild fantasies entertained by the hard core right wing about us liberal and Democrats. The Mush Loosebowels and Michael Savages and Ann Coulter's must be laughing their asses off that their bullhooey is actually believed.

Just so we're clear (and in case you're lumping me into that "hard core right" group): I don't like Ann Coulter and I don't know who Michael Savage is; nor do I know what a "Mush Loosbowel" is. Socially, I lean left and I'm no particluar fan of the "Bush" (Goerge that is)
But I value national security over social issues any day of the week and give it twice the value on Sunday. I know what the threat is and I don't believe that Democrats have any clue of the terrorism dangers that are present within our society because I haven't seen any indication, either written or spoken, that they understand them. Polictical correctness is founded from the left and it's that mindset that, in part, places us at risk.

It's "bleeding heart" liberal thinking that will cripple our will and ability as a nation to defeat this menace. But given that I agree most Democrats love America I'm willing to give it time and take a wait and see attitude; then vote based on their performance in 2008.

Freedom_for_sum

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by thelibra
So...

Who wants to start a betting pool on how soon the new House impeaches Bush?

I give it less than one year before he is impeached.

We can only pray.

Clinton's "little" lie is nothing compaired to Bush's lies and crimes against humanity. I'm moderate republican, was glad Clinton was impeached but voted democrat because I will not tolerate being lied to by our public officials and can only hope Bush will see the same fate Clinton did.

Problem is what to do about Cheney.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by KnowItAll

I have a better one to consider...Who wants to bet a terrorist attack will happen sometime over the 24 months? Then some will say..."See, we told you they couldn't protect America." Then we'll have another GOP administration in 2008.
Thoughts?

You almost seem as if you welcome a terrorist attack just so the GOP can regain power.

Maybe it's this type of arrogant approach to politics in this country that caused the GOP to be so soundly defeated.

The citizens of this country are sick of being ignored by those with an ideology that ignores them.

By the way I'm a Republican and now maybe we can go back to real conservatism without this regime of corruption and arrogance.

[edit on 8-11-2006 by whaaa]

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freedom_for_sum
I know what the threat is and I don't believe that Democrats have any clue of the terrorism dangers that are present within our society because I haven't seen any indication, either written or spoken, that they understand them. Polictical correctness is founded from the left and it's that mindset that, in part, places us at risk.

I don't really like either party, but, IMO, the Republicans have done nothing to make us safer at home, if anything they've increased the danger. Dems haven't had any control since 9/11, so nobody can say they won't do a better job, I doubt they could do worse. The threat is from fundamentalists, fundamentalists killed 3,000 of our people, the Republicans had the right idea at first in Afghanistan, targeting fundamentalists, but then completely dropped the ball and led us on a wild adventure to take out a bastard, but a very secular bastard who would not tolerate ANY challenge to his power in Iraq. He knew the fundamentalists hated him, he wouldn't allow them to gain influence there. I believe he even had them killed. So I really disagree that the Republicans have a better handle on the threats against us....but time will tell.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 12:32 PM
link   
all i have to say is yesssssss.

so glad that this election came out like it was supposed to. no tampering.

now on to progress.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 12:35 PM
link   
They'll have the recount in Virginia but book it, Webb's got it.

He'll only win by 6-8 thousand or so but that 6-8 thousand is pretty much definite.

[edit on 8-11-2006 by firebat]

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 12:37 PM
link   
mush loosebowels= rush limbraugh
!!!

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by mecheng
Clinton's "little" lie is nothing compaired to Bush's lies and crimes against humanity. I'm moderate republican, was glad Clinton was impeached but voted democrat because I will not tolerate being lied to by our public officials and can only hope Bush will see the same fate Clinton did.

Problem is what to do about Cheney.

Exactly. How many times have we heard about crackdowns on things that have turned into backdowns on issues. Like the Valerie Plaime affair, where Bush swore he'd fire the person who did it, until it turned out to be somone very important to him. Then he conveniently forgot his statement.

...and so on and so forth.

I'm so glad for the Democrat victories!! It's the first time in a long time I've enjoyed listening to the news.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by 27jd
I don't really like either party, but, IMO, the Republicans have done nothing to make us safer at home, if anything they've increased the danger.

There have been no attacks on US soil since 911 despite several attempts. I'd say they're doing a good job.

Originally posted by 27jd
[the Republicans] had the right idea at first in Afghanistan, targeting fundamentalists, but then completely dropped the ball and led us on a wild adventure to take out a bastard,....

Haven't you ever heard the expression "The enemy of my enemy is my friend"? Hussein was communicating with Al Qaeda (through Zarqawi) and the genuine concern was that he'd provide them with WMD that EVERYONE (including democrats) suspected he had stockpiled. If we didn't go into Iraq and, subsequently, we were attacked by Al qeada with chemical agents provided by Iraq; Democrats woul have called for Bush's impeachment (deservedly so). Bush had no choice but to take on Iraq before that happened. National security is directly his responsibiity. And, in only that regard he has done well.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by firebat
They'll have the recount in Virginia but book it, Webb's got it.

He'll only win by 6-8 thousand or so but that 6-8 thousand is pretty much definite.

[edit on 8-11-2006 by firebat]

Allen has yet to concede but with Montana blue, if VA goes blue as well (and I hope so as I am in the state) then the Dems get the Senate by 1 seat when you factor in Saunders and Liberman.

P.S. Micheal Savage is another right wing airbag...kinda like a male Ann Coulter but better looking...at least he's not anorexic and he supposed to have an adams apple unlike he(r).

[edit on 8-11-2006 by grover]

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freedom_for_sum
Hussein was communicating with Al Qaeda (through Zarqawi) and the genuine concern was that he'd provide them with WMD that EVERYONE (including democrats) suspected he had stockpiled. If we didn't go into Iraq and, subsequently, we were attacked by Al qeada with chemical agents provided by Iraq; Democrats woul have called for Bush's impeachment (deservedly so). Bush had no choice but to take on Iraq before that happened.

I don't suppose you have a source to back that up.

If it were true, the republicans would have certainly used it to justify the war in Iraq. @@:

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover
Freedom for Sum may very well believe what he writes but such an attitude is counter-productive. Such demonization does our country no good. It would be much better if he could rise above it.

It would also be much better if you could rise above such childish techniques as

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join