It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientology lands in London

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2006 @ 02:59 PM
link   
The "Church" of Scientology opened a five-storey building in London (UK) today. The red carpet opening in the heart of London city centre unveiled Scientology's converted Victorian building. The opening has already provoked controversy with bemused parishioners from the next door Anglican church leaving sunday service to witness what looked like a movie premiere. The only thing missing from the event was Tom Cruise.

news.sky.com
The Church of Scientology has unveiled its new London headquarters with a grand opening ceremony.

The controversial religion, which counts Hollywood stars Tom Cruise and John Travolta among its followers, is expanding its British operation.

It has bought and refurbished the former home of the British and Foreign Bible Society for its new HQ.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Its interesting that they have opened in th UK at the same time there is the huge debate raging over religion and culture in the country. Could this be a deliberate attempt to sway some of the population to a Scientology way of thinking?

Was also interesting to note the lower key approach of not having big name stars at the opening, more in fitting with a UK launch, trying to appeal to the normally "reserved" British public.

Related News Links:
www.24dash.com
www.scientology-london.org
www.pr.com

[edit on 22-10-2006 by ewan]

[edit on 22-10-2006 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Oct, 22 2006 @ 03:58 PM
link   
They have had the religion statues rejected in the UK and as a charity as well.

UK Government labels them as a cult and they are planning to inflitrate our Government, just like the EA

plus, their building looks like an uber mason hall.

[edit on 22-10-2006 by infinite]

posted on Oct, 22 2006 @ 04:21 PM
link   
They converted a Victorian building? Did they give it an ennegram first or audit it's soul?

I have some old friends who knew L.Ron Hubbard personally, and was present at the 1948 science fiction convention where he got up and suggested starting a religion, and they always describe his as a con-man always on the lookout for a mark. He is/was fraud and, despite Tom Cruise jumping up and down on couches in his best Cheeta impersonation, the so-called religion is a fraud as well.

posted on Oct, 22 2006 @ 05:10 PM
link   
So that's why Tom Cruise has been 'courting' David and Victoria Beckham. He's hoping they can 'recruit'.

posted on Oct, 22 2006 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by deessell
So that's why Tom Cruise has been 'courting' David and Victoria Beckham. He's hoping they can 'recruit'.

Ahh

Kabbalah got those two, plus, can you see David Beckham joining a religion with the word "Science" in it

They converted a Victorian building?

They have just ruined a building with so much tradition

posted on Oct, 22 2006 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Well, hoepfully the place will be closed down, or the people who
run it arrested or something.

I may believe in religious freedom and all, but scienfraudogy
is'nt a religoin, it's a giant con.

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 01:04 AM
link   
It's all about faith. I don't agree with Scientology, but that doesn't mean that I would deny them the right to have faith. It's easy to point at any religion we disagree with and tell them they're not right, but when you're in their shoes, you have to understand how difficult it must be for them to keep their faith in a society that treats them as outcasts.

More power to them and their faith.

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 05:21 AM
link   
it isn't a faith...its a second rate science fiction plot by a second rate arthur that people have been brainwashed and intiminated into believing.

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 05:51 AM
link   
I read the theology behind it and its really strange stuff. very strange. It is very strange and extrememly different from most religions, it does remind me of something from Halo.

Scientology does state it is compatiable with other religions aswell, so you could (in theory) be a Scientologist and a Christian too. But, i may take a trip to this London base, its only 2 hours away from me and see what i could find out.

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 06:37 AM
link   
All religion is rooted in some psycho/spiritual event, usually in the life of a specific prophet be them Jesus, Moses, Muhammad or Baha'u'llah. It doesn't matter if they are touched by the hand of God as they claim or it is something that has welled up from either the depths of their own psyche or is somehow connected with the collective unconcisous of our species, it doesn't matter, something profound happened to them. Religion is part myth, part depth psychology, part symbolism that expresses the ineffable. Scientology has none of those...it was cooked up by a con-man, probably from left overs of a failed science fiction story and God forbid if they get their claws into you, and you try to leave, they will stalk you to your deathbed.

Bad stuff.

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 06:42 AM
link   
The more you read into it, the more silly it seems. It's so scary that people are being sucked into it. But then again, it's scary how oblivious people are to most things.

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 01:02 PM
link   
remember The Kabbalah Centre? The Church of Scientology is just a mirror image of that, religion for the rich and a money making exercise.

ive got their address and im going to pop down there

plus, they had interesting people at the opening

The Church of Scientology of London was welcomed to its new premises on Queen Victoria Street by Alderman Ian Luder, representing the Lord Mayor of the City. He spoke of the effective help the Church provides to get people off drugs and its successful programs to reduce crime.

Mr. Kevin Hurley, Divisional Commander of London’s Snow Hill Police Station, called upon the Scientologists to “tenaciously focus on bettering this world,” and said that he knows with “complete personal certainty” that the members are “raising the spiritual wealth of society” with their charitable works. He presented a special recognition for their valuable assistance and support following the city’s tragic bombings of July 2005.

United Nations Peace Envoy, Dr. Iftikhar Ahmed Ayaz, spoke of his personal insight into the work done by Scientology around the world. “It is my personal belief,” he said “this Church can restore what this world has lately lost — namely, much of the dignity and respect with which it was created.”

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

www.scientology-london.org...

[edit on 23-10-2006 by infinite]

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 01:40 PM
link   
sorry to hear that scientology is infiltrating into the UK. As someone who has had to deal with scientology groups in LA most of my life I offer some advice to my UK bretheren.

Watch out for free IQ tests. You will begin to see small signs on the blvds. stating free IQ stests available here, and then no sign stating what here is, just walk on in to find out it's really a Scientology recruiting station. The IQ tests are jank and again it's all a scheam to recruite you.

Stay away from their lectures or free auditing. They will have people standing on the street corners trying to procure fresh prospects for their cult. They will appear friendly and try and talk you into these free tests. STAY AWAY. They are really trying to get you to step inside where they can hand you off to a higher up and more experianced cult leader who will be better at getting you to join up. That person will try and get you to go (Immediatly) to a seminar or lecture where they will try and get you to 1. buy their literature. 2. go to a second lecture-brainwashing event. 3. Join forthright without a chance to think about it.

Expect them to act like car salesmen or army recruiters. Their tactics are pretty similar.

Resist any temptation to enter the Scientology building. Once inside you will feel like a prisoner. But they will insist that you go and watch some scientology recruitment brainwashing video. THey will literally lock (or at least try very hard to prevent you from leaving) in a room with other unfortunant people they conived off the street. And then force you to watch a 30-45 minute video on the wonders of scientology.

Expect other scientology branches to open up aggressivly throughout the city and other neighboring cities. The buildings may be pretty but not the intentions of the people inside them. Beware.

Edn

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Sigh, next stop Glasgow i guess
We already have some nutty people here trying to recruit you into non existent religions.

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 02:02 PM
link   
nice Youtube video on it.

www.youtube.com...

has a tour of the location

top topics

join