It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

non-believers: youre outnumbered, and here is your proof

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 12:21 AM
link   
This survey appears on the national geographic website. Credible source dont you think? Looks like more americans belive in the "boogeyman" known as ET than not
In my humble opinion, this is due not only to the countless sightings by people all around the world, but to the advancement of technology at such an uncanny rate and many other factors. I think people are finally waking up. NOT ONLY to the idea that we are being visited but to that fact that humanity is multiplying at a high rate thus more minds to make brilliant discoveries and breakthroughs, hell I wouldnt be surprized if we are already visiting other plantes "behind the scenes" Now I doubt a survey about chupacabra or unicorns would yeild similar results.....enjjoy,

prnewswire.com

"It is quite likely that there is life elsewhere in our galaxy, and
there's a real possibility that we will find evidence of intelligent
extraterrestrial life by the year 2025," said Dr. Seth Shostak, a senior
astronomer with the SETI Institute, and an expert featured in
"Extraterrestrial." "In light of all the interest in alien life in movie
theaters this past week, it is interesting that the majority of Americans
truly believe extraterrestrial life exists on other planets."
Highlights of the national survey include:

Does life exist on other planets?

* 60% of Americans believe life exists on other planets

* More men than women believe life exists on other planets, 69% vs. 51%

* 72% of those who believe life exists on other planets would be "excited
and hopeful" upon learning that life had been found on other planets.

* Women are twice as likely as men to feel "nervous and afraid" if we
learn life exists -- 27% vs. 13%

* Men are more likely to feel excited and hopeful if we find life on other
planets -- 78% vs. 65%

Continued at source...

FULL SURVEY AT NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC WEBSITE found at the following link

nationalgeographic.com

[Mod Edit: External quote tags and quote trim - Jak]

[edit on 13/10/06 by JAK]

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 01:50 AM
link   
That's astoundingly beautiful =) Just waiting on the day of the eudemonic response to fill our loneliness.

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 01:55 AM
link   
The non-believers equal dumb. Because they are just believing what is "cool" to believe so they don't become "unpopular" with the retard crowd. If they actually thought about it they would come to the conclusion that there HAS to be life on other planets. Duh duh duh!!

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 02:25 AM
link   
There's allot of posts lately on who is on what side of the phenomenon . As far as being outnumbered. I just don't see it that way. That National Geographic survey is on par with some of my viewpoints.

Life may exist on other planets. Thats a very valid viewpoint. It just doesn't need to be something out of Star Trek, Star Wars, or Close Encounters of the 3rd kind. If they found single cell organisms on Mars I'd jump through the roof. If they found snails on Titan I'd pass out in elation.

The whole inteligent life form is something I think a majority of people have an interest in. There's no argument there. Its in the clear, focused objective viewpoints that brings on a dispair between those who have or need a faith system for the subject matter.

The fork in the road is when something is unidentified. That's where the two camps split. For someone like myself - it is Unidentified - for a believer - its of Alien origin.

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Beyonddeath
Looks like more americans belive in the "boogeyman" known as ET than not

For those that do believe that life exists on other planets, what would ET
be like?

Now lets do the math:

* 7 out of 10 Americans think the intelligent life forms on other planets
would be similar to humans

So this means 70% of the 60% of americans who believe on life out there....that is 0.7*0.6*100 = 42% of americans

* 8 out of 10 Americans think it is likely that the intelligent life forms
on other planets are more advanced than us

This means 48% of americans

* 7 out of 10 Americans think it is likely that these life forms have the
technology to travel through space

This means again 42% of americans

* 7 out of 10 Americans think that these life forms have the technology to
communicate across deep space

Should we respond if ET makes contact?

* 90% of Americans who believe life exists think we should communicate
back if we heard communications coming from another planet

This means 54% of americans - this is the single category you quoted that has more then 50% of americans in it.

I don't see how how "non-believers are outnumbered".

And like nullster said...from believing that there is inteligent life out there to aliens visiting us...is a long way....

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 07:42 AM
link   

This survey appears on the national geographic website. Credible source dont you think?

What does the number of believers in something have to do with its truth? A credible source also reports that Christianity is more popular than Buddhism (as far as population goes). Does that mean Buddhism is false and those folks should go to church? I think not.

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Are reeeeallllyyy dont think that americans should be shown of as the standard.. No offence for anyone over there...

And just makes people THINK that there is life, really doesnt mean that there IS life out there.

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 09:38 AM
link   
I think theres probably alien life myself the universe is a big place after all but it's the size that also makes contact of any sort unlikely I'd also imagine any Intelligent life would be very sparse indeed.

Anyway I dont think its a contest reality isnt measured in popularity after all.

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Well its not a large survey sample size but it seems to be a professional survey and I'm not surprised at the results. It does appear that non-believers will soon be a minority of spooks, agents and insiders that have propped up the facade for decades that alien life and intelligence does not exist.

But are these people stupid or just plain selfish is the real question?

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 10:34 AM
link   
I think our colleague shamanator is on the right track.

When you look at the title of this thread, you must admit that it's kind of silly: "non-believers: youre outnumbered, and here is your proof".

Is the original poster attempting to draw some conclusion about the veracity of "UFOs - as - extraterrestrials" assertion? That fails on several levels. If a majority of people believe (as I do, given the Drake Equation) that there is intelligent life elsewhere in the Universe that does not mean that a majority of people mean that these putative Spaceship guys have visited or are visiting the Earth.

As the oiriginal poster pointed out, no one was asked whether they believed that. Instead, as our colleague Apass mentions, they were asked if life exists (more than half say yes); if there is intelligent life would be like ours (42% say yes); about half (48%) say that intelligent life would be more intelligent that we are; and 42% say it's likely that these aliens havthe technology to travel through space and communicate across deep space (just like we do).

Now that's all interesting stuff, but it doesn't say anything about peoples' belief that the Spaceship Guys have ever visited Earth or anything like that.

And even if they did, what does that have to do with reality? Should we base our beliefs on taking a poll? (Admittedly, that's what politicians do, but is that where we want to go?)

denythestatusquo says:

"But are these people stupid or just plain selfish is the real question?

In other words, it looks like you're saying

Everyone who doesn't agree with me is a selfish, stupid person."

Gosh, deny, with an attitude like that, I'm sure you'll win over all the skeptics here. Don't waste you time in trying to educate people who believe differently, just insult them.

Good plan!

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 10:43 AM
link   
You need some external source tags on that rather lengthy quote.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I might add that belief in the absence of evidence is faith. Now, I have nothing against faith, but that traditionally has been the domain of religion and sports fans. So, I wouldn't be so smug. Some believe in extra-terrestrials; some believe in angels.

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 11:05 AM
link   

non-believers: youre outnumbered, and here is your proof

I'm quite happy to be in the minority of not believing, as majority opinion is almost always wrong.

Plus, you make that statement like we're against you, like we're trying to bring you down from your high somehow.

I hope the believers are right, I would quite happily love to be proven wrong on the subject, but I just take alot harder convincing than "believers" (more wording to suggest UFOlogy is the new religion).

I have seen people believe 'evidence' that they think is real, and I have proven it isn't what they thought it was. If we were to follow the lead of "believers" like this we'd already have the welcome mat and alcohol out!

[edit on 13-10-2006 by John Nada]

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Off_The_Street
denythestatusquo says:

"But are these people stupid or just plain selfish is the real question?

In other words, it looks like you're saying

Everyone who doesn't agree with me is a selfish, stupid person."

Gosh, deny, with an attitude like that, I'm sure you'll win over all the skeptics here. Don't waste you time in trying to educate people who believe differently, just insult them.

Good plan!

"looks like'' that is your extrapolation or your fantasizing about the topic and you are presenting yourself here as the realist?

Education as I understand it is the following:

The accepted body of knowledge that the establishment deems acceptable for certain people to know.

Englightenment: is the human acknowledgement that truth and knowledge comes from within and not without.

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Anyone here all that uncomfortable with being "outnumbered"? I'm not a big advocate of giving a flying flippity flop about majority opinion on most topics, at least in terms of what I "ought" to believe. After all, half the population has below-average intelligence. And 2/3 of the other 50% are half nuts.

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by nullster
There's allot of posts lately on who is on what side of the phenomenon . As far as being outnumbered. I just don't see it that way. That National Geographic survey is on par with some of my viewpoints.

Again the stats stare you right in the face and you "dont see it that way"
how typical.

Here let me make it bold faced for you:

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sophismata

This survey appears on the national geographic website. Credible source dont you think?

What does the number of believers in something have to do with its truth? A credible source also reports that Christianity is more popular than Buddhism (as far as population goes). Does that mean Buddhism is false and those folks should go to church? I think not.

Did you READ the TITLE of this thread? C'mon, this is about popular belief not about FACT.

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Apass

Looks like more americans belive in the "boogeyman" known as ET than not

For those that do believe that life exists on other planets, what would ET
be like?

Now lets do the math:

* 7 out of 10 Americans think the intelligent life forms on other planets
would be similar to humans

So this means 70% of the 60% of americans who believe on life out there....that is 0.7*0.6*100 = 42% of americans

This means 48% of americans

Should we respond if ET makes contact?

* 90% of Americans who believe life exists think we should communicate
back if we heard communications coming from another planet

This means 54% of americans - this is the single category you quoted that has more then 50% of americans in it.

I don't see how how "non-believers are outnumbered".

And like nullster said...from believing that there is inteligent life out there to aliens visiting us...is a long way....
\

You know what, this is a bit petty? The numbers are obviously STILL STAGGERING. This is exactly what Id expect from a "debunker". This shows the extent you would go JUST TO WIN AN ARGUMENT. Fine, youre not outnumbered, is that what you want to hear? but again those numbers are hard to ignore, unless of course you are a debunker.

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 11:49 AM
link   
first of as mentioned, the title of this thread is misleading. all it is saying(wether the numbers are right or wrong) is that the "believers" have a bigger team. it doesnt prove anything beyond that.

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
I might add that belief in the absence of evidence is faith. Now, I have nothing against faith, but that traditionally has been the domain of religion and sports fans.

also to add to this, in atheism, it is the absence of a belief in a god. its not presupposing you hate god or are rejecting it in anger. that would have to mean you actually have an idea it could exist. you just dont have it! the atheism or agnostic concept can be applied to many ET "non-believers". more so the question "would you believe in intelligent alien life if sufficient evidence is provided?".

on a good day i personally believe it is possible there is intelliegent life in the universe and even visiting earth but i am reserving my judgement until i have experienced it sufficiently. hell, im not even sure we are not living in an illusion!

so please, stop trying to turn this into an "us vs. them" scenerio to justify your beliefs. it turns off a lot of people who would potentially help your cause.

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I think everyone here should read this speech given by Michael Crichton at Caltech Michelin Lecture, January 17, 2003. It was posted in this thread just a last week and I will quote from it here.

Faith is defined, as the firm belief in something for which there is no proof. The belief that the Koran is the word of God is a matter of faith. The belief that God created the universe in seven days is a matter of faith. The belief that there are other life forms in the universe is a matter of faith. There is not a single shred of evidence for any other life forms, and in forty years of searching, none has been discovered. There is absolutely no evidentiary reason to maintain this belief.

[...]

Let's be clear: the work of science has nothing whatever to do with consensus. Consensus is the business of politics. Science, on the contrary, requires only one investigator who happens to be right, which means that he or she has results that are verifiable by reference to the real world. In science consensus is irrelevant. What is relevant is reproducible results. The greatest scientists in history are great precisely because they broke with the consensus.There is no such thing as consensus science. If it's consensus, it isn't science. If it's science, it isn't consensus. Period

Aliens Cause Global Warming

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
You need some external source tags on that rather lengthy quote.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I might add that belief in the absence of evidence is faith. Now, I have nothing against faith, but that traditionally has been the domain of religion and sports fans. So, I wouldn't be so smug. Some believe in extra-terrestrials; some believe in angels.

It is no longer faith when you have witnissed things that cant be explained away by mainstream science like I have said before I am willing to accept that this UFO phenomena is nothing more than secret tech created by the govt. However this just doesnt seem to be the most likely case IMHO.

ET and ANGELS......APPLES and ORANGES.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join