It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant comet may collide with Earth late October

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 05:18 AM
link   
NOT MERCURY!

Ah don't worry it's not like we all gonna die if this comet hits

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 05:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Essan
But my bet is that Superman manages to grab it by the tail and swing it out of the solar system and into the Andromeda galaxy.

Well I feel sorry for the people of the Andromeda galaxy, who will now have to worry about an invisable comet with a chance of 99999999999999999999999999999^100000000000000000000000:1 to strike thier home spheres

NeoN HaZe.

[edit on 10-10-2006 by Neon Haze]

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Now, Now,

Wouldnt you rather "know" in advance, just in case? I ran across the article and thought it my duty to post it here so that my fellow ATS'rs would know.

Together we can find out the truth

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 05:40 AM
link   
Xeros

intriguing, if you look at my first post on this thread page 1 I initially did a few hours research into this and dismissed it, as the source was very dodgy (sorcha and all) and I could find no link tho this guy officially as he was described as a Deputy Director of the Moscow Uni subdivision of Sern.

He also had nothing published acedemically which is nigh on impossible for someone with a Ph.d and being a deputy director of an dept.

However I did see the mathematics papers by a similair named Ph.d guy however as he was in the field as you say of Hedge Funds and economic modelling I didnt think they were the same guy. If however he does this as an amatuer on the side (astronomy), he certainly is not an fully fledged Ph.D astronomer at Moscow Uni, or at the stern institute, but he would have the ability and the knowledge to do the correct Math.

Now if this guy is the Economic Modeller he would no way (considering the amount of Funds and investements linked to the guy from WDImean) say this lightly, the guy is a real and very very very successfull economic modeller in Russia who alaos has some sway in world Fund Management, ie some guys pensions and stocks are invested due to this guys calculations.

This IMHO makes this extremely credible, he has too much too loose, reputation, financial success, and future work would dry out completely for him. Also he would be independant in the field of Astronomy and has the mathematical ability to make a very very accurate predication of the course and outcome of the comets trajectory.

So what needs to be double checked IMHO quite quickly is this, has someone just put 2+2 together on WDImean via google scholar and got 5 (which is why I ignored it) or is this the same guy.

If he is well I would give this a little bit of credance. I emailed the Moscow Uni asking for a reply as to whether this guy was a deputy director form their Stern institute but have recieved no reply.

Im digging around I work in the environmental finance field and am checking this out as much as possible, as to the new info.

Basically we need someone who can speak Rusky to verify his identity, either false or a man of many talents.

Regards

Elf.

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 05:47 AM
link   
I was trying to search for more info and came across this

Comet strike surprisingly more likely

This could be the reason why NASA have not made any comments on it..not that they would anyway

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 06:09 AM
link   
well aside from the scientific approach, I wonder if the date of collision is 31 Oct?

lol I was just reading some stellar mythology about 31st of October - Halloween and one myth claims that the Pleiades were overhead at midnight during the great biblical flood and the sinking of Atlantis. And the Aztec and Maya believed that the world had been destroyed and recreated 4 times on Halloween... sooooooo this means ? that the world was destroyed each time on halloween? lol Brings whole new meaning to trick or treat, eh?

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Always did know their was somthing evil to Haloween!

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 06:56 AM
link   
It might be helpful if this guy provided the scientific community with positional coordinates of the comet, and any other useful information. Otherwise, we can all take his words with a pinch of salt.

I am currently integrating the motions of 25 short period comets on my PC, backwards in time from their discovery apparitions (using a wonderful piece of software called Dance of the Planets by ARC Science Simulations; www.arcscience.com ). This project is an attempt to identify possible past apparitions of known short period comets. To help me with this, I have the first two volumes of Gary Kronk's Cometography. These two fantastic books include detailed observational accounts of virtually every comet that has been documented from ancient times up to the end of 1899. After reading these, it is very clear that "comet hoaxes" have been perpetrated throughout history.

Can we add another one to the list ?

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Don't comets,as well as meteors and the like, get tracked months, even years in advance?

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Only spotted ones, it's just their are so many comets and so many limited scopes to spot them, alot of these go unspotted

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThePieMaN
Nothing to worry about.

Agreed. Either way, worrying about won't make any difference whatsoever; If it's false, then nothing to worry about...If it's true, worrying won't make it hit us any softer!

But Pravda has been debunked on numerous occasions...I've even been the first one to debunk it's original story about "Drilling a Hole to Hell" a few years ago. If you're really interested in that thread, look me up in the Members List & start Searching All Posts back through my list of posts...Warning; You'll have to go back a looong way for this one (Back to the year 2002)!

Okay, okay...I'll spare you the trouble & post the link. I'm must be getting soft in my old age...In my day, one could just get by with providing a direction for people to look instead of doing everyone else's legwork...

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Don't comets,as well as meteors and the like, get tracked months, even years in advance?

Only those comets that have been discovered already have the chance of being tracked (and even most of these can't be seen over large fractions of their orbits). Any new comets approaching the inner Solar System need to be detected first before their threat levels can be ascertained.

Meteors can't be tracked. They are tiny particles of dust that burn up when entering Earth's atmosphere. I assume that you were referring to asteroids ?

[edit on 10-10-2006 by Mogget]

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 08:18 AM
link   
I just hope this one doesn't blow apart into thousands of fragments like the last one did. On second thought, IF this thing is heading toward a collision with Earth, then it may be better for us if it does fragment into small pieces because then they would probably burn up very quickly once they collide with Earth's atmosphere. Thank God for our dense atmosphere!

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Check out this simulation of what would happen if a giant comet/meteor were to hit the earth:

video.google.ca...

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Thanks, love videos like that, any more bud

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 12:46 PM
link   
That is a superb video. Thanks a lot for sharing it.

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by 4eyedsnake
Comet strike surprisingly more likely
This could be the reason why NASA have not made any comments on it..not that they would anyway

Scary thought indeed. But you make a good point, do we have to rely on Pravda and an unknown Russian scientist to warm the world when we can't be sure about the agenda at NASA? Btw I do think the comets etc are coming but who knows when they will arrive.

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xeros
I found some more about this from www.whatdoesitmean.com.

www.whatdoesitmean.com...

That source is worse than Pravda.

We need "reliable sources" not more "tabloids"

[edit on 10-10-2006 by Muaddib]

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Implosion
I think we can all see that for ourselves thanks. Some of us however, still like to cultivate an open mind.

Do we really need someone to repeat the above, parrot fashion, every single time a story pops up on ATS citing Pravda as a source?

[edit on 9/10/06 by Implosion]

Byrd is righmt and more often than not Pravda "makes up stories" just to sell.

There are several "tabloids" in all countries, including Russia. What i would like to know is what kind of newspapers are those i linked.

i don't tend to read newspapers from Russia, in Russian, so I don't know which ones are reliable.

[edit on 10-10-2006 by Muaddib]

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 11:15 PM
link   
The only place where i was able to find a Russian scientist with that name was here.

www.ras.ru...

Now, since that scientist lived in Russia and was a scientist around 1901-1935, i would guess this man is already dead.

Unless we can find definite proof that this man exists i would say this is another hoax.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join