It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant comet may collide with Earth late October

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 05:00 AM
link   

According to the Russian astronomer Nikolai Fedorovsky, a giant comet flying at top speed is bound for Earth. Should the comet stay on the collision course, it may hit the planet in late October. The impact will cause devastating tsunamis, earthquakes and avalanches, says Fedorovsky. He saw the killer comet in a telescope two weeks ago. He managed to calculate the comet’s trajectory. We got in touch with Nikolai Fedorovsky:

Here we go again!!!

english.pravda.ru...

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 05:04 AM
link   
Oh [edited out expectative]. I guess the only thing that mankind as well as most other species can do is to cross their fingers and hope this guy didn't pay attention in math class.

Pity, really. I hope it lands nowhere near me.

edit: incoming atsnn article. Wont even get past the mods probably, but I tried . . .

[edit on 9/10/2006 by watch_the_rocks]

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 05:08 AM
link   
I thoroughly agree with you, WTR!

I've heard of October surprises, but this is a bit much.

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 05:10 AM
link   
Oh well, it was nice knowing you. Well... some of you.

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Guys The source is an Indian equivalent of the national enquirer!!

This source has been debunked on so many occasions I cannot count them all.

MOoove ALong Nothing to Ssseee here

NeoN HaZe.

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 05:13 AM
link   

We could obtain more accurate calculations if other astronomers join forces

Im sure he's probably wrong anyway DG. Nothing to worry about. If we see NASA mentioning it maybe then we could start worrying.

Pie

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Awww implosion, i think it was nice knowing you too. You touched my life...didnt i touch yours?

Anyway, maybe this nut is just that- a nut. We need to find others who will verify this story!!! This is the first i heard of this, but i thought it was worth posting.

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 05:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThePieMaN

Im sure he's probably wrong anyway DG. Nothing to worry about. If we see NASA mentioning it maybe then we could start worrying.

Pie

You're right Pie, i'll check around to see if others agree or not.

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThePieMaN
If we see NASA mentioning it maybe then we could start worrying.

Raises an interesting question. If they knew about it, would they share that information with the rest of us? Would they want the panic, the chaos that such a revelation would surely bring?

Also IIRC we've quite recently had a close call with an object that we didn't spot until it had passed us. Perhaps you put a little too much faith in NASA?

Here's one, but I don't think it's the one I'm thinking of:

An asteroid about the size of a small house passed just 88,000 kilometres from the Earth by on Saturday 27 September - the closest approach of a natural object ever recorded. Geostationary communication satellites circle the Earth 42,000km from the planet's centre.

The asteroid, designated 2003 SQ222, came from inside the Earth's orbit and so was only spotted after it had whizzed by. The first sighting was on Sunday 28 by the Lowell Observatory Near-Earth Object Search program in Arizona, US.

Source.

[edit on 9/10/06 by Implosion]

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 06:10 AM
link   
We would have to rely on astronomers outside of NASA. NASA would not tell the truth if their lives depended on it.

I am looking around for other sources also.

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 06:11 AM
link   
It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown!

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 06:31 AM
link   
mmm well I had a dig around as these events do happen and someone will see them first, I would be very suprised if the governments would tell us if it was discovered with a short time to impact.

However he is stated as being from the Sternberg Astronomical Institute by pravda (mm well its worth checking!), as deputy director, however for some reason the staff lists there are unavailable causing an IE error!!

so that got me looking more, the Sternberg Astronomical Institute is part of Moscow state university they have no information on him, which seems unusual as he would be listed as an deputy director.

He also has never had anything published on Google Scholar which I find unusual as a deputy director he would surely have submitted some papers since his PH.d (he is uoted in some places as DR)even if done years ago.

So there seems to be no such man. However this could be as the translation has caused a change in his name. there ARE SOME people with very similair names working within the Sternberg Astronomical Institute.

So For me I doubt any credibilty to this, though to be sure if anyone is russian speaking give the Sternberg Astronomical Institute a ring using the links below.

Sternberg Astronomical Institute

Its a subdisvision of the Moscow State University in Siberia/Crimeria.

Maybe worth checking a little more if anyone can or knoaws anyone who speaks rusky

Kind regards

Elf

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Another reason not to place such faith in NASA?

One scientist said there are more people working in your typical McDonald's than there are working full-time to save the planet with their telescopes.

Asteroid hunters and comet hunters have to deal with a vast universe, low budgets, highly competitive quests for grants and bone-headed media reactions to initial discoveries that suggest impending doom before the findings are refined by mathematics and time.

Source.

And a reason why it should cause some concern:

Survival of civilization itself
In an "Open Letter to Congress on Near Earth Objects," the citizens group writes, "A growing body of scientific evidence shows that some of these celestial bodies, also known as Near Earth Objects (NEOs), pose a potentially devastating threat of collision with Earth, capable of causing widespread destruction and loss of life. The largest such impacts can not only threaten the survival of our nation, but even that of civilization itself."

Among signers of the letter are: Apollo 17 Astronaut, Harrison Schmitt; Neil Tyson, Director of the Hayden Planetarium; Freeman Dyson, Professor Emeritus of Princeton University; Lucy Ann McFadden, NEO scientist at the University of Maryland; New York University professor and author, William Burrows; John Lewis, a scientist at the University of Arizona, Tucson; and Thomas Jones, former astronaut and veteran of four shuttle missions.

Source.

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 07:19 AM
link   
NASA will probably tell us it's a piece of tinfoil LOL!

Another comet...I thought we were through with those for a while. Kind of surprising to hear about another one so soon, regardless whether it's headed toward a collision with Earth or not.

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Let me guess, it's an invisible comet - which is why no other amateur astronomers have seen it yet.....

I suspect the story originates from the Taurids which is an annual meteor shower that occurs at the end of October. They in turn are connected with the Comet Encke and there is speculation that Encke and the Taurids are the remnants of a much larger comet which may have broken up several thousamnd years ago, and - so it's speculated - fragments of it may have hit the Earth during the Bronze Age.

So yes, a giant comet may hit the Earth at the end of October. October 2300BC .....

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 07:27 AM
link   
If Pravda is the only source to this story, I'm not buying it...

Any other sources?

Maybe I should get a helmet?

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 07:46 AM
link   
I'm inline with Hellmutt--I'll wait for it to make CNN or BBC before I start looting.

You bring up an interesting point about NASA telling us or not, Implosion, and really, what would be the point? Would they expect one of us to suddenly exclaim "No you guys, this is how you kill a comet..."

So we'd know that some/most/all of us were going to die. I don't think that would make my last few days much better. Sure, I'd know that I should make the most of it, make sure everyone I love knows it, and do all the stuff that I should do everyday anyways. That and loot (singing that song by Sublime with every television or six pack I'd steal until I got shot by the guy who owns the store.)

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Nice story, yet taken out of its original context:

We have a comet in our sights during October. Comet Swan will move into the evening sky during October. While this comet is only a six magnitude object, it should be easily seen with a good pair of binoculars. The best time to see this comet should be between Oct. 17 and 19. When it is passes through the constellation Bootes near Gamma Bootes, which is the star Segihus, look for it low in the southwest after sunset. It will move from Bootes into Hercules by the end of the month.

Should it hit earth, I'll start believing in the predictions of Nostradamus

[II.62] Mabus then will then soon die, there will come of people and beasts a horrible rout: Then suddenly one will see vengeance, hundred, hand, thirst, hunger when the comet will run.

The question is who is Mabus? There are two interpretations doing rounds these days. 1. If we unscramble the word, we can write it as "Usamb" very close to "Usama bin" the actual pronunciation in Arabic of what we call Osama. It seems to indicate that Osama bin Laden will die, probably due to bombing or due to attack of ground forces or even by suicide after being cornered. He may never be captured alive by USA. 2. Some say, Mabus is Saddam (read backwards, it spells "sudam" after some alteration). The "horrible rout" of people as well as beasts indicate not death due to war but due to some disease. This might be the same event described in the IX.55, the death of people and animals due to Anthrax or other Weapons of Mass Destruction which will spread like wildfire. "Then suddenly one will see vengeance" - vengeance by whom? Most likely by the Islamic terrorists to avenge Osama's or Saddam's death and USA's war against terror in Afghanistan and Iraq. There will be another sudden and widespread terrorist attack. The nature of this attack is not mentioned [Sollog, the modern time controversial prophet said, terrorists will explode suitcase nuclear weapons in Israel (Tel Aviv), USA (Washington DC) and Europe (Rome)]. The repeated threats of Osama and Mullah Omar comes to mind. At the same time a comet will suddenly be seen in the sky, advancing towards the earth, and ultimately striking it, resulting in devastation. It is possible that "Mabus" is neither Osama nor Saddam but it might be the name of some important Muslim leader e.g. Mohammad ABU Salem or Mahammad Abbas (the new Prime Minister of Palestine) etc. who dies just before WW-III starts.

Source

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mdv2
Nice story, yet taken out of its original context:

We have a comet in our sights during October. Comet Swan will move into the evening sky during October. While this comet is only a six magnitude object, it should be easily seen with a good pair of binoculars. The best time to see this comet should be between Oct. 17 and 19. When it is passes through the constellation Bootes near Gamma Bootes, which is the star Segihus, look for it low in the southwest after sunset. It will move from Bootes into Hercules by the end of the month.

What is your source for the above?

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Apologies: Source

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join