It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant comet may collide with Earth late October

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 05:01 PM
link   
the picture of the "Russian lab doctor" is a joke...

unless the planet Mongo is ready to attack, then dont bother posting references to Flash Gordon...

and that was what? 20 yrs ago... so dont be surprised if people miss your reference...

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 05:24 PM
link   
I remember watching a story on the discovery channel about a what if scenario of a comet hitting the earth.They will not inform the public until about three days before impact.That's because they don't want wide spread panic across the globe-like there isn't already with everything that's going on.Hopefully,if this guy is right the impact will be an ocean impact so most of us who live inland will survive.If it hits on a continent,depending on it's size there's not much hope for any of us for long term survival.Oh,by the way DG-I think you're hot

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Great book - Lucifers Hammer. Ya'll gotta' read it. Some of the personal relationship stuff is crappy .. but the rest is awesome. Big ol' comet hits the earth... what happens ... what people do ... new societies that emerge ... great reading for a day when you are stuck home because of a blizzard; or hurricane; or giant comet strike like is allegedly supposed to happen at the end of this month.

Ya'll - go get the book - Lucifers Hammer.

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Neon Haze
Guys The source is an Indian equivalent of the national enquirer!!

This source has been debunked on so many occasions I cannot count them all.

MOoove ALong Nothing to Ssseee here

NeoN HaZe.

I have a healthy respect for tabliods.. I mean I don't know about you guys, but I first learned about flesh eating bacteria from Weekly World News.. Yes it was a terrible addtiction, I am in recovery.
And didn't the Enquire break the seasons end for Ellen, when they said she (the character) would annouce she was gay, and that she (the actress) was actually really gay?
They also broke the MTV Awards Madonna, Britney, Christina, (was it Christia??) kiss.
So the tabloids DO have their place.
I wouldn't rely on waiting for NASA to announce anything. We'd have much better luck (it this is true) hoping the aliens blast it into dust, or phasing it into anopther dimesion or whatever.
Eh, prolly not much to worry about. The Mayan Calender ends 2012.. THAT is when I'll start worrying, lol.

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
*ahem* The source is PRAVDA. You know; Russia's equivalent of "The Onion."

I think we can all see that for ourselves thanks. Some of us however, still like to cultivate an open mind.

Do we really need someone to repeat the above, parrot fashion, every single time a story pops up on ATS citing Pravda as a source?

[edit on 9/10/06 by Implosion]

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Well I guess its time to become a good Christian... its either that or run the risk of spending eternity with my co-workers.

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I think if NASA mentions it then we really don't have a thing to worry about

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 08:17 PM
link   
DG, bad source!! that site is not credible at all.. don't scare your selves.. if a commet where really going to hit us the media would have a field day over it.

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Somehow I think that if this were true than it would be all over the news, and not just in the Russian newspaper.

I'm not really that worried anyway, I'd think a comet could burn up more easily than a meteor due to it having mostly ice particles. I could be wrong, don't quote me on that.

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 12:04 AM
link   
I think that this one will hit just off the east coast like the last one was suppose to.
where did you say you live again DG???

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 12:14 AM
link   
if anyone remembers the last person who said an astroid was going to hit the atlatnic. just days after that there was one that hit in norway that we did not hear much about. that could have easily hit the north atlantic if it was off a couple more degrees.

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Well, the scientist looks sane enough!
Thanks for the pic.

I was afraid he would be wearing a lab coat and look goofey.

You do know who that is right DG?

I hope you were joking...unless you think Flash Gordon, and the professor are going to save us from a meteor which may or may not hit Earth...

[edit on 10-10-2006 by Muaddib]

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Anyways, I am doing some research on this.

I found the following link with many links to Russian sites and translation, which appears to be partially true.

I would still take the claim with a grain of salt.

These are some of the translations from the Russian newspapers.

The celestial body threatens the Earth

Sensational information about the future collision of gigantic meteorite with the Earth appeared on Russian scientific Nikolai fedorovskiy's site. Could not be been connected with the scientist; however, to eat hope, which to soon learn all details about the future catastrophe will be from "first of mouths". For the present there is an information about the fact that the incandescent cosmic body approaches to the Earth with the improbable speed. The distance between our planet and object swiftly is decreased. It is so swift that the scientist calls precise time and even point of rendezvous - on 28 October, the western part of Russia, supposedly the environment of Moscow.

To the earth dvizhetsya enormous comet! Russian scientist- astronomer Nikolai fedorovskiy made a sensational discovery.

According to his calculations and observations, the Earth approaches the mega-comet, which will fall at the end of October, they report detail. "about the tunguska meteorite also no one nothing knew, and then it satisfactorily fell in Siberia", writes Nikolai fedorovskiy. Scientist revealed object at the end of August, he was moved along the paraboloid trajectory with the suspiciously high speed. The approximate calculated of speed showed that the celestial body pretends as the minimum to the asteroid. Nikolai fedorovskiy was connected with the Kiev observatory; however, there they did not confirm and did not refute the fact of the approximation of asteroid to the Earth.

At the end of October to the earth will fall gigantic comet? Scientists keep silent.

Russian scientist- astronomer Nikolai fedorovskiy made a sensational discovery. According to his calculations and observations, the Earth approaches the mega-comet, which will fall at the end of October. "about the tunguska meteorite also no one nothing knew, and then it satisfactorily fell in Siberia", writes Nikolai fedorovskiy. Scientist revealed object at the end of August, he was moved along the paraboloid trajectory with the suspiciously high speed. The approximate calculated of speed showed that the celestial body pretends as the minimum to the asteroid. Nikolai fedorovskiy was connected with the Kiev observatory; however, there they did not confirm and did not refute the fact of the approximation of asteroid to the Earth. "almost no one knows that the comets of different coarseness regularly are passed at the minimum distance from the Earth. They pass as those not noticed - little whether what trifle flies around the planet. To take at least Shvassmanna-Vakhmanna in 95 year ", notes Fedorov. Details

Excerpted from.
www.habitablezone.com...

I will try to research this a bit more.

According to the claim the meteor will strike western Russia on October 28.

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 01:30 AM
link   
These are the direct links to the Russian newspapers which state pretty much what has been claimed.

dni.ru...

www.zavtra.com.ua...

itnews.com.ua...

My Russian is a bit rusty, but I believe in overall those Russian newspapers, except one which does not say anything about meteors and which I did not put a link to here, say what is claimed in the other link i gave, including the possible crash in October 28.

I can only understand certain words and the meaning of some phrases, but if anyone who can read Russian can verify it, it would be appreciated.

Now, i don't know how reliable those Russian newspapers are. For all i know they are another version of Pravda.com

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 01:35 AM
link   
NO!!!!!! WHY OCTOBER!!! I JUST GO MY XBOX 360...

I hope it misses. I dont want to die at a young age, because of a commet..if it does hit..hopefully it hits the ocean. ahh no but then the tsunamis?? Ah crap!!

Northpole!! ah no....melting Ice!! I guess if it hit the really SANDY part of africa we will be ok..??

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 02:05 AM
link   
I found some more about this from www.whatdoesitmean.com.

www.whatdoesitmean.com...

October 5, 2006

Return of the ‘Great Comet’ Signals Doom for Earth, Claims Russian Scientist

By: Sorcha Faal, and as reported to her Western Subscribers

Concerns are being raised today due to the reporting by Russian Scientist-Mathematician Nikolay Fedorovskiy that the ‘Great Comet’ is fast approaching our Earth and will strike our Planet near the end of this month in our Southern Polar Region.

Dr. Fedorovskiy is one of the founding directors of the mysterious Paradigm Hedge Funds that protects the assets of a large number of the World’s Organizatsiya, and whose predictive computer programme designed to protect their hedge funds massive assets, and developed with his fellow Scientist-Mathematician Dr. Tatyana Koryagina, gave a predictive warning of the September 11, 2001 attack upon the United States and which enabled many Russians to protect their investments.

In his reports on this Great Comet, Dr. Fedorovskiy states that it is a part of what has been named the Kreutz Sungrazers, and from which the Great Comet of 1843 had also appeared, also over our Earths Southern Polar Regions.

Hmmmmmmmm. My initial instinct was that this guy is not real, as I can't find anything else about him, but I'm not sure. If this is made up crap then surely they won't want to damage some poor guys career? Can anyone validate this guy "Nikolay Fedorovsky"?

[edit on 10-10-2006 by Xeros]

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 02:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xeros

www.whatdoesitmean.com...

October 5, 2006

Return of the ‘Great Comet’ Signals Doom for Earth, Claims Russian Scientist

By: Sorcha Faal, and as reported to her Western Subscribers

Hmmmmmmmm. My initial instinct was that this guy is not real, as I can't find anything else about him, but I'm not sure. If this is made up crap then surely they won't want to damage some poor guys career? Can anyone validate this guy "Nikolay Fedorovsky"?

Now that name I recognize. Sorcha Faal is just totally Faal of %$@! I think he/she is a scam artist too.

Pie

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 04:18 AM
link   
It is so obvious that this is getting hyped up! Look at the terminology of the statement - a comet flying at 'Top Speed'. Do they have engines and gears now? I didn't know comets had a top speed?

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 04:49 AM
link   
What a load of rubbish. If there was a "giant comet" heading for an Earth impact in late October, we would have heard about it months ago.

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 05:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mogget
What a load of rubbish. If there was a "giant comet" heading for an Earth impact in late October, we would have heard about it months ago.

More to the point, someone other than this Russia chap would have seen it

But, as I mentioned before, it's presumably invisible. Probably travelling twice the speed of light as well. But my bet is that Superman manages to grab it by the tail and swing it out of the solar system and into the Andromeda galaxy. In fact, I'd say that around billion times more probable than a large comet hitting Earth this year

Originally posted by bufordny
I ran the JPL simulation, About November 14 to November 15 2006 this comet may hit us. I hope not. How big is Swan anyhow?

According to the JPL simulation, on the 14/15 Nov Comet Swan will be more than 1.2 AUs away from Earth, and moving further away every day. We're more likely to be hit by Mercury on that date...

[edit on 10-10-2006 by Essan]

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join