It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is with the Digg this Gif?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Well I guess I just have sick nasty ideas... I am the chatbot after all *ahem*

Digg is a pretty cool site, I've been browsing it all day. I've seen it before but never got into it. lol This could bring ATS a lot more mainstream exposure if we get a story front paged.

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 05:34 PM
link   
I think that the added exposure of a front page digg will cause the server to catch fire.

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 05:50 PM
link   
You may know the guy that started Digg. His name is Kevin Rose, he used to be on a show called the Screensavers. I can't believe Tech-TV canceled the show, it was one of my favorites.

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 05:52 PM
link   
TechTV was holding Kevin and co. back from their true potential. They are now starting to blossom without the corporate ball and chain to constrain what they can do and talk about. They just do whatever, reminds me of the Google Guys.

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Yeah Leo Laporte was awesome too.

www.twit.tv...

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Is there a registration form? Or does it use the same userid/password as ATS?

All I see is a login screen. How does it know me from Adam?

Just beginning to learn...

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 06:53 PM
link   
You will need to create a new account on the Digg site.

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 08:09 PM
link   
The screensavers was cool when tech tv used to be cool... now it pretty much sucks excpet for like... the xplay thing... which is the only show that is around from old tech tv.

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 10:54 PM
link   
From what i gathered from the DIGG site, other members can sensor your postings by voting them down or burying them, so much for the freedom of speech on the internet. What if a group of anti-whatevers join DIGG and simply start voting down whatever they don't like to hear? I read alot of ATS topics but don't necessarily feel obligated to comment or vote.

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Bloc voting is discouraged by the ranking algorithim. Stories that you post that are dugg by a bunch of your friends and not many others will have less weight then a story with only a few friends digging in with like 20+ unique diggs from people you never heard of before.

The point is they have a huge audience. The Digg effect is when a story gets to the mainpage and instantly a million eyes sees it and clicks and comes straight here and slows down and in many cases crashes the server much like a DOS attack. Some servers have been hardened since(and a lot of popular threads get around it by relying on caches and such)

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 11:33 PM
link   
I have a question now. How can we incorporate this into the blogs? It's a perfect fit IMO.

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 07:49 AM
link   
I just joined DIGG after reading this thread...

I have alot to learn over there.. but it looks really cool.

And, as an added extra bonus i get to stay TONE23..even over there...yeay me...

I am glad I have great fellow members here on this site to help us ease into the DIGG experience.

This looks like It could reallyu give some great exposure to ATS and thats AWESOME

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by crgintx
From what i gathered from the DIGG site, other members can sensor your postings by voting them down or burying them, so much for the freedom of speech on the internet.

Freedom of speech does NOT apply to a user of someone else's privately owned site.

Freedom of speech only applies to the extent an owner of a site is protected from persecution by governments who honor freedom, in other words if someone creates a site that is anti American, the U.S. government can't shut it down solely because it's anti US.

That does NOT mean the owner of the site has to allow anybody to say what ever they want on his site anymore than the FBI is going to let you get on their site and post pictures of their undercover agents.

This seems to be a great source of confusion for many people so i thought I'd point out the realities.

Digg doesn't have to allow any story/post/article to get beyond submission if they don't want to. Obviously, based on their expressed business model it's in their best interests to get as many quality stories up as possible to keep their tremendous traffic going but, again, they certainly don't have to.

I would think Digg has devised a method to avoid "roaving gangs of like minded jerks" from squashing stories they disagree with or they wouldn't have got as big as they are.

Springer...

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Springer

I would think Digg has devised a method to avoid "roaving gangs of like minded jerks" from squashing stories they disagree with or they wouldn't have got as big as they are.

They're going to love us promoting this site for you then aren't they?

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 04:33 AM
link   
Isn't this exactly like Shoutwire.com?

Down to the user submittal/voting system

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 09:49 AM
link   
It looks liek the voting system on DIGG eliminates comments from your own screen, not from the archive and not for everyone.

You can say 'any comment that gets -4, I don't want to even see that garbage'. Or you can say 'show all comments' or you can say 'if its -1 and from a long time ago, I don't want to waste my time reading it'.

Should we have a 'DUGG IT' thread, perhaps? A listing of threads that members have dugg? Such that, say, a person diggs an article, then they go to the "DUGG IT" thread, and post a reply with a link to the DIGG page for their article?

Edit to add:

Here is a little "DIGG" icon that people can add to their signature line, and then link it to their DIGG profile:

The url:
img154.imageshack.us...

Here is how you'd enter the text (Just remove the spaces)
[ url=http://www.digg.com/users/YOURDIGGNAME] [img ]http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/6899/diggprofileiconvp0.gif[/img ][/url ]

[edit on 27-9-2006 by Nygdan]

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 07:43 AM
link   
In just the first week of this experiment, DIGG.com has gone from our 97th most active referring website domain, to our 5th most active, right behind ASK.com.

Keep up the good work people... your topics are indeed gaining broader exposure.

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Awesome! Thats great that you can see the results so quickly!

posted on Sep, 29 2006 @ 10:38 PM
link   
There are separate pages for stories "dugg" and for stories "submitted". Those two pages also have separate feeds which you may add to your RSS reader. With feeds you can easier keep an eye on friends (or even non-friends) when they are submitting stories or when they digg or comment on something

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 10:01 PM
link   
This is funny.

Someone submitted to Digg "20 Reasons The World despises Norton Anti-Virus". The comments on that digg-submission are full of people saying how much they hate Norton. Someone just noticed that Google ads have started to show ads on that page. For Norton

Digg

by garg 4 minutes ago

Google ads have kicked in and now all the ads on this page are for Norton AV

by nobogeys217 just now

oh the irony. trying to sell norton on a board of people who hate it and know it sucks.

Come on ATS! Start digging!

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join