It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is with the Digg this Gif?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I noticed that starting today This Gif whose link leads to another discussion forum and I thought that was a no no on ATS.

Seems rather counterproductive to me since it encourages discussing topics on other forums or am I missing somthing?

What is Digg?
Digg is a user driven social content website. Ok, so what the heck does that mean? Well, everything on digg is submitted by the digg user community (that would be you). After you submit content, other digg users read your submission and digg what they like best. If your story rocks and receives enough diggs, it is promoted to the front page for the millions of digg visitors to see.
Source

Or did this add just slip through the crack via Google??????

[edit on 9/25/2006 by shots]

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 09:58 AM
link   
DIGG.com is a very popular Slash-Dot like news site. This is an experiment to see if we can give ATS threads broader exposure through inclusion on a service like this.

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Digg is not so much a forum site as a internet news site. It has a huge viewer base. When people find an interesting story or web site that they think others would like they list it on Digg. others view it and discuss it. if you get listed near the top of Digg the amount of viewers coming to the site becomes extreamly huge. Basically its free advertising. they also have a good podcast ware they discuss the top dugg stories

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
This is an experiment to see if we can give ATS threads broader exposure through inclusion on a service like this.

Ok Just thought I would ask because at one time Springer said it was a no no, but that leads to another question if we use it can we post the same story there as we do here word for word?

Just want to cross my I's and dot my T's in case I would submit a story there first and if it catches on post it here on ATS.

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Fair enough. Broadening the horizons of ATS is always a good thing.

So what are the criteria under which we judge if a thread should be "dugg"? Should be pretty much be things that are only newsworthy, or are we looking for "hot" threads, regardless of their newsworthines, or are we looking for deep discussions that are neither hot nor newsworthy but deserve extra readers?

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by shots
if we use it can we post the same story there as we do here word for word?

The intent is similar to including other stories on ATS... link to the thread, title, and your comments on the story.

Most DUGG stories get clicked on for the full material... the story title on DIGG is a link to the source site.

If you like or agree with a story you see on DIGG, you click the digg it link, adding your vote of approval.

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I Dugg This Thread

As an experiment, I hit the button on this thread.

digg.com...

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 12:12 PM
link   
After seeing the newest addition, Digg this story, I did the same as Majic. A test Digg.

digg.com...

Videos --> Educational was the closest category I could find for the 9-11 Mysteries video. Just went back and checked and it already has 3 Diggs.

[edit: to add]
Seems a few ATSers Dugg it as well.

[edit on 9/25/2006 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Can You Digg It?

I'm a brand new member and still figuring out how to play with the buttons, but this Digg system looks pretty darn cool.

Now to see if we can get SO to give us points for Digging threads, like back in the glory days of thread tagging...

I doubt he will, but you know how I love irony.

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 12:24 PM
link   
From the mass U2U RE: Digg:

DIGG.com is an increasingly popular venue for news and current events of all kings, with a growing and massive number of users.

My question: will a lowly peasant like me be welcome, or is it kings only?

[edit on 25/9/06 by Implosion]

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Every Man A King

Originally posted by Implosion
My question: will a lowly peasant like me be welcome, or is it kings only?

Ha! Thou art no peasant, but a Member of ATS!

And as an ATSer, you deserve the royal treatment.

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Spam!

Originally posted by Majic
I Dugg This Thread

As an experiment, I hit the button on this thread.

digg.com...

I un-Dugg this, since it was in the wrong category and was being perceived as spam.

I'll bet those Digg mods will ban me for sure, now.

That does beg the question of where most ATS stories would fit in the Diggiverse, since there isn't a "Conspiracy" category, and I'm not sure "Offbeat News" is really where such topics would belong.

But hey, it's an experiment, and Digg is a user-driven social content website, so maybe a Conspiracy category will emerge someday.

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Question. I'm finding a lot of the stories that I am selecting to Digg are already there. Should I still submit, to have it linked to this site? Or should I just let it go?

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Digg Dugg

Originally posted by niteboy82
Question. I'm finding a lot of the stories that I am selecting to Digg are already there. Should I still submit, to have it linked to this site? Or should I just let it go?

From the Digg FAQ:

Should you encounter a potential duplicate, please digg the original story and do not submit a duplicate entry.

So if you see a dupe, the right thing to do is just digg the original story.

P.S. One of my net.brethren or net.sistren already took the name "Majic" on Digg.com, so there I go by the super secret codename Majic12.

[edit on 9/25/2006 by Majic]

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by niteboy82

I would say if the story contains relevant material to the original Post it.

edit to add this is not a one liner

[edit on 9/25/2006 by shots]

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Umm...SO....are you sure the servers can handle the digg effect? At times it can be worse then the /. effect........

Majic I dugg your story
Same with 12m8keall2c

digg.com...

Here is the one I submitted.

So if you see a dupe, the right thing to do is just digg the original story.

That doesn't stop people from digging the same big story to the front page sometimes in extreme cases half a dozen times on the same fricken front page.

People who complain about dupes are generally regarded as dupe nazi's who are allied with the grammer nazi's and spelling nazi's to make up their axis of evil on digg.

[edit on 25-9-2006 by sardion2000]

[edit on 25-9-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 02:34 PM
link   
So, is there any way you can make a list of ATs stories that have been dugg? If so, they would be easier to find.

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majic

I un-Dugg this, since it was in the wrong category

I un-dugg my first entry. I thought it would then be deleted so I could make some changes to it. However, it wasn't deleted but simply removed from my dig-list. I tried to re-digg but was told I've un-dug it and cannot dig it again... grrr. Ok, I guess I'm learning. That entry now has "0" diggs...

I'm Hellmutt, btw. The name wasn't already taken.

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by cpr12r
So, is there any way you can make a list of ATs stories that have been dugg? If so, they would be easier to find.

Quite the idea there, chatbot ... I mean cpr12r

Especially since Google and other search engines favor reciprocal linking, even more so with higher "page rank" sites.

[edit on 9/25/2006 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Funny the first thing I did this morning was to dugg in but when it took me to a page with a log in, I though I was in the wrong place.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join