It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking News: NASA tracking object near shuttle!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Come on guys this is NASA everything they do is science, and they are saying they don't know! ether they are trying to tell us something or they are as worthless as the UN.

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
question... if it's part of the shuttle or debris from the space station, how is it staying in orbit with the shuttle? wouldn't it just fall away and eventually down? What size would it have to be in order for it to stay up and in an orbit and not just enter the atmosphere and burn up?

Yeah, but it could take months for it to reenter the atmosphere. If it's part of the shuttle, then it would still be pretty close to the orbiter and the ISS.

TG

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Its impossible for it to be space debris, it would burn up in the earths atmosphere. Space debris doesnt follow the space shuttle around at 17,500 mph. It would have to have come from the space shuttle if its not a craft of some kind.

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I guess there were two bolts and a spring lost previously on this flight. I don't know if this is the answer, but it did happen...

Mission Control later reported that another bolt, similar to the one that went missing during Tuesday's spacewalk, was lost Wednesday.

MacLean told Mission Control that he was removing a cover on the rotary joint when one of the four bolts he needed disappeared.

"I did not see it go," MacLean said. "I'm looking to see if anything is floating."

MacLean ran into another small problem a short time later when an extension on his pistol-grip power tool broke while he was trying to remove a restraint on the rotary joint.

LINK

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Edit for spelling

[edit on 19-9-2006 by masqua]

link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
question... if it's part of the shuttle or debris from the space station, how is it staying in orbit with the shuttle? wouldn't it just fall away and eventually down? What size would it have to be in order for it to stay up and in an orbit and not just enter the atmosphere and burn up?

I don't think it's the size that matters, ( Where have I heard that before?
)

I think the most important thing is the speed it's traveling at. Once you're in a low level orbit I think you have to maintain @ 17,500MPH not to decay, but I could be wrong.

link   
while I am sure this isn't an alien craft, I did get a kick out of the cnn website with the link that reads:

UFO, weather, delay shuttle landing | Video

while we all know that ufo just means it is unidentified, to the everyone outside of aviation and space industries, you know almost everyone else, ufo is synonymous with spaceship. so enjoy it while it lasts folks.

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 12:11 PM
link   

posted by TG

Its impossible for it to be space debris, it would burn up in the earths atmosphere. Space debris doesnt follow the space shuttle around at 17,500 mph. It would have to have come from the space shuttle if its not a craft of some kind.

That's exactly what they think it is.

Space debris from the Shuttle.

However, there was another report from the ISS last week of an "unknown object" that was not reported in the News.

[edit on 19-9-2006 by lost_shaman]

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 12:16 PM
link   
[edit on 19-9-2006 by Cabanman]

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by TG

On the contrary, for at least several days or even weeks it DOES travel at that speed. It keeps the speed it was travelling at until atmospheric friction slows it down, but that takes time to occur.

TG

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58

Originally posted by TG

On the contrary, for at least several days or even weeks it DOES travel at that speed. It keeps the speed it was travelling at until atmospheric friction slows it down, but that takes time to occur.

But they would have noticed it sooner if it was space debris. My guess is its something that has come away from the shuttle, maybe a tile or part of a tile.

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Duck and cover men there coming in with nano fire.

Mod Note: One Line Post – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 9/19/2006 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Not if it was one of the two parts lost during a space walk. They would have been orbiting right near the shuttle, and might be just now slowing down enough to gain separation from it enough to be noticed.

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Ok, everyone always talks about UFOs the alien kind and now when something goes down everyone protects nasa and tells them what to say. Why is noone thinking the other way? Is it really out of the question?

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by lost_shaman
However, there was another report from the ISS last week of an "unknown object" that was not reported in the News.

And this posted on the 18th,
ISS goes into emergency mode

NASA shut down ventilation aboard the International Space Station and its astronauts donned surgical gloves and masks after a bad odour alerted them to a chemical leak, the agency said.

“The situation has stabilised and it has been reported back down by the crew that there were never any smoke in the cabin, however there was a smell associated with KOH” (potassium hydroxide),” American ISS manager Mike Suffredini said.

“It's an irritant, it's not a life-threatening material, and at no time did the crew had to put on the gas mask or the oxygen mask.”

I wonder if this has anything to do with the current situation.

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 12:28 PM
link   
It's probably a piece of the leading edge of the left wing. Nothing to worry about.

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Is the thing still there orbiting with the shuttle or has it gone?

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I think size does matter. It has to be of considerable size to be seen so far away. If the shuttle lost something of that size, those astronauts should be most unsettled. I cannot see a bolt being noticed that readily on camera. This is why I am curious.

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Tuning in to NASA TV I just saw the earth and then an orange glowing ball that could have been the sun and then they swung the camera into the cargo bay and that was it.

However the glowing ball looked to be in eclipse. Not getting excited but did anyone else just see this? Was it a reflection or the moon or the sun or AN ALIEN SPACECRAFT!!!!!!!

Duck and cover!!!!

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I think they have docked with the ISS and everybody is getting scolded for telling on them.

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Waiting for it to break into entry and go to the U.N. and pick up a few of the greedy.

Bangkok going into Marshall Law we better keep prepared you never know.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join