It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where is the global warming???

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2006 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Well what a hurricane season we have had thus far huh??? i thought the world was getting so hot that we would have the worst hurricane season on record this year?? Another great job by our liberal media to spread lies and disinformation to the sheeple of the USA. I mean mount st helens blew more pollution into the air then humans could create in 200 years but yes we are killing the earth. This blasphemy drives me insane. I cant stand the eco freaks, they care more for the earth then they do quality of human life, sure they say that they are looking out for future generations but they do so with no facts.

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Please back up your post with some actual facts. Global warming should be renamed global climate change, as this is a far more accurate term. It's also a very complicated one, and the hurricane season is something that cannot be easily summed up. I'll do my best.
One of the causes of hurricanes in the Atlantic is warm wet air coming out of Africa, which interacts with warm water in the Atlantic. In the right conditions this produces a westerly-moving tropical wave, which can then develop into a tropical depression, then into a tropical storm and finally a hurricane. There are five categories of hurricane, based on wind speed.
This year the warm air coming out of Africa has also been abnormally dry, which has retarded the creation of tropical waves. They haven't stopped, because we're now seeing them start now, but it did have an impact on the hurricane season. Florence has now formed in the Atlantic, and it remains to be seen where it will go.
The link between global climate change (or GCC) and the hurricane season is speculative so far, and there is not enough proof of it. That isn't to say that the link doesn't exist. It's just that it's being carefully studied. Who by, I hear you ask. Well, some of the people who are most worried about the hurricane seasons (yes, and GCC) are the insurance companies as well as the reinsurance companies. The world's biggest reinsurer is Swiss Re, and it's been looking into GCC for 15 years at least. Reinsurance, by the way, is insurance for insurance companies. Katrina, Rita and Wilma carved a swathe of red-inked terror through the ranks of the reinsurance companies last year.
The reinsurance companies are worried as hell about GCC, because it will lead to increased flooding, amongst other things, and higher claims from insurance companies. Insurance rates for oil companies in the Gulf of Mexico are horrific this year, because of the all the pay-outs from last year. Extrapolate damage from flooding from that, and it's panic stations in the halls of the reinsurers.
The science behind GCC is coming together and the vast bulk of scientists are now convinced that it is happening. The level of CO2 in the atmosphere is now higher than it has been for 800,000 years, according to the latest measurements from ice cores (news.bbc.co.uk...). Glaciers are melting all over the world and global weather patterns are showing worrying signs of change. Rainfall has been in short supply in Britain. We're still in a drought here.
I could go on further but I'll start to rant.

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 04:21 AM
link   
Oh and this - news.bbc.co.uk... is bad news. Very, very bad news. And there are other methane deposits in the ocean - in fact there are massive holes in the seabed off the coast of Norway that show where methane deposits have destabilised in the past and rushed up.
Ick.

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlueSkyes
Well what a hurricane season we have had thus far huh??? i thought the world was getting so hot that we would have the worst hurricane season on record this year??

You thought wrong. Although warmer sea surface temperatures may result in more intense hurricanes developing, many other factors are involved.

Besides which, it's been a pretty intense year for tropical cyclones - it's not just the Caribbean/USA that get them you know

I mean mount st helens blew more pollution into the air then humans could create in 200 years

Really? What sort of 'pollution'?

Human activity has increased CO2 concentrations in the atmosphere by around 30%. That's not a 'theory' - it's quantifiable fact.

I cant stand the eco freaks, they care more for the earth then they do quality of human life, sure they say that they are looking out for future generations but they do so with no facts.

So, as Darkmind says, why not produce some facts of your own to disprove them? And, anyway, what sort of quality of human life would there be with no Earth?

[edit on 7-9-2006 by Essan]

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 09:21 PM
link   
You are right on BlueSky! I have learned that the easiest way to discover if someone likes their info spoon fed to them is to ask what they believe about global warming.

If you listened to the predictions of the scientists of the 1970's we should be suffering in a world with no oil and ocean levels swallowing costal cities.

My favorite part is when they show you pics of icecaps melting in one area and ignore the growing icecaps (see 90% of Antartica) in others.

The earth is a massive uncontrollable force. It has gone through huge periods of temperature change, for example, the ice ages! Were humans polluting the air and causing the change then??

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 05:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by JoshGator54

My favorite part is when they show you pics of icecaps melting in one area and ignore the growing icecaps (see 90% of Antartica) in others.

What about the melting glaciers in Antarctica

The earth is a massive uncontrollable force. It has gone through huge periods of temperature change, for example, the ice ages! Were humans polluting the air and causing the change then??

No, but so what? People die naturally. Doesn't mean it's okay to shoot them.

Why do you presume that massive deforestation, pollution and huge changes in land use across the globe, coupled with changes to the composition of the atmosphere, will have no impact on climate?

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Global Warming must be kept alive!

How else are these whacko scientists going to get their grant money?

The sky is falling = $$$ (grant money)

Everything is OK, it's just a cycle = no grant money!

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Well what a hurricane season we have had thus far huh??? i thought the world was getting so hot that we would have the worst hurricane season on record this year?? Another great job by our liberal media to spread lies and disinformation to the sheeple of the USA. I mean mount st helens blew more pollution into the air then humans could create in 200 years but yes we are killing the earth. This blasphemy drives me insane. I cant stand the eco freaks, they care more for the earth then they do quality of human life, sure they say that they are looking out for future generations but they do so with no facts.

Let me ask you a question. What good is a "good" economy if you can't even breathe the air on your way to work?

[edit on 9-9-2006 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Also, the "liberal media" has never said that we are going to have the day after tommorrow like events withing a year. Global warming is still happening and over time it will get presumably worst.. it may not happen for a couple of years but be sure that it IS HAPPENING. Since you this looks like it was your first post I'd advise you too research similar topics that have been posted by maybe typin global warming in the search bar.. I don't know or look at the links the above posters have taken the care to give to you.

Obviously you are a conservative which is welcomed on this board by the admins.. although It really should not be IMO .. so plz take some time to do some research before you make such bold statements.

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Revelmonk
Obviously you are a conservative which is welcomed on this board by the admins.. although It really should not be IMO .. so plz take some time to do some research before you make such bold statements.

Really? That kind of offends me because I am somewhat of a conservative, albeit a moderate one. I don't really appreciate that comment,fella.

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I don't have a solid opinion on the issue of "global warming" or "global climate change". Are there environmental issues we could've and can handle better, of course. Should we run around like chicken little saying the sky is falling, probably not. I find it interesting that all kinds of horrible predictions are made based on a few decades or even a hundred years worth of time. Humans may measure change it that kind of time period but geologically it's barely a blip on the radar.

I'm surprised at the number of scientists who feel fit to make it seem like were headed towards disaster based on weather patterns that have changed in the last hundred years. How well were records measured and kept in 1906 ... and before that? How accurate were the devices used?

Geologically speaking the earth is currently in a interglacial period between ice ages... we have been for 10,000 years. Incidentally most interglacial periods last 12,000 years ... maybe we should be concerned that sometime in the next 2,000 years we are going to enter another cooling period. Hey, maybe the extra "global warming" will buy us a few more years!

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 07:56 PM
link   
This is a perfect example of why people shouldn't site unusual weather as 'proof' or even strong evidence of global warming. It simply isn't. There is other evidence for global warming, and essentially everyone in the world agrees that global warming is occuring anyway.

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by SmallMindsBigIdeas
Geologically speaking the earth is currently in a interglacial period between ice ages... we have been for 10,000 years. Incidentally most interglacial periods last 12,000 years ... maybe we should be concerned that sometime in the next 2,000 years we are going to enter another cooling period. Hey, maybe the extra "global warming" will buy us a few more years!

Ironically, Global Warming/Climate Change (be it natural or not) will cause an Ice Age. As the Ice Caps melt and de-salinate the sea water, it affects the density, which afects the currents, which will affect the Gulf Stream, which will plunge Northern Europe (including the UK) back into an ice Age. The increased Albedo from the ice sheet will reflect more sunlight back into space, allowing the rest of the world to cool also.

I am divided as to wether the issue is man-made or natural, as the earth has done this exact same thing time and again throught history. But it can;t help to live in a cleaner world anyway can it? It gets to me when (mainly US "it'll hurt our economy" types) people dismiss it and cry because it might mean an extra penny on a loaf of bread.

Let me ask you this, regardless wether it is man made or not, or even happening, would you rather not live in a less wasteful, cleaner world anyway?

Or is the economy of your nation you only driving force in this world? If so, I pity such a short term, narrow minded approach.

Polution does more than warm the planet up, you know, it kills animals, destroys forests, kills people. Is a few notes in your back pocket all you care about?

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 05:03 PM
link   
I'm not a heartless consumer who believes that there should be no environmental controls or limits on pollution. Certainly a push for environmental friendly ideas and restrictions has lead to much cleaner air than we had during the Industrial Period and what we would have now had we continued down that same path. I just don't believe that it should be done at any cost solely because it is a "green" idea. I think technology has come a long way in a few decades to improve our quality of life and our negative effects on the environment.

As an example ... automotive emissions on new vehicle today as compared in the 60s .. my 65 Mustang probably produces 20 times the amount of pollution as my Toyota does. In 3 short decades we have reduced automotive emissions dramatically. In the same time the population and the number of miles people drive for commute have increased ... so there is a bit of an uphill fight on that front. But advances continue to be made.

What I am against is the level to which certain individuals and groups will run "global warming" banner (we really have no conclusive proof of the long term effects of minor global warming trends) in order to push their own agenca when it comes to environmental concerns. Should price be a factor when it comes to evironmtal issues, absolutely! Environmental concerns that can be mitigated for a reasonable cost should be pursued.

Originally posted by stumason
I am divided as to wether the issue is man-made or natural, as the earth has done this exact same thing time and again throught history. But it can;t help to live in a cleaner world anyway can it? It gets to me when (mainly US "it'll hurt our economy" types) people dismiss it and cry because it might mean an extra penny on a loaf of bread.

Let me ask you this, regardless wether it is man made or not, or even happening, would you rather not live in a less wasteful, cleaner world anyway?

Or is the economy of your nation you only driving force in this world? If so, I pity such a short term, narrow minded approach.

Polution does more than warm the planet up, you know, it kills animals, destroys forests, kills people. Is a few notes in your back pocket all you care about?

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
There is other evidence for global warming, and essentially everyone in the world agrees that global warming is occuring anyway.

If you say it enough it just has to be true! Right?

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 07:37 PM
link   
It doesn't take a genius to measure temperatures around the world and over time come to the conclusion that the Earth is warming up. Global warming is a fact, not a theory and certainly not some wishful thought of the world's tree huggers or eco fanatics. The questions we need answers to are how responsible is mankind for the warming? How long will it take to warm up? How hot will it get? Will the process spring nasty little surprises on us at it happens? What other changes will global warming cause, or contribute to and why? Should we just lay back and ignore it, or try to do something about it? Can we do something about it, and if so, at what cost?

Just a few of the questions we need answers to.

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative
Global Warming must be kept alive!

How else are these whacko scientists going to get their grant money?

The sky is falling = $$$ (grant money)

Everything is OK, it's just a cycle = no grant money!

Amongst your 'whacko scientists' are, ahem, the (re)insurance industry, which is getting more and more worried about the prospect of global climate change. In fact companies like Swiss Re (reinsurance companies, by the way, insure insurance companies) have been looking at global climate change for years, almost 15 years now, due to the amount of money that it might cost them.
And the science is quite plausible. I recently came back from a conference in Monte Carlo where I talked to professor Bill McGuire, from the Benfield Hazard Research Centre. I talked to him for half an hour and came away wanting either a pint of beer or a mug of hemlock, because damn me if he wasn't depressing. His conclusion: the predictions of global climate change (GCC) are now becoming observations of GCC.
Some examples of what he mentioned in the report that he gave me: The Atlantic Thermohaline Circulation, which is linked to the Gulf Stream that keeps Europe warmer than Newfoundland and Alaska, has slowed down by 30%.
The speed of glaciers in Greenland has doubled, from 7km a year to 14 km a year, caused by melting water lubricating the sides of the glaciers. (See Geophyical Research Letters, and the article by Adrian Luckman from Swansea University.)
Ice loss has also accelerated from the West Antarctic ice sheet, and precipitation levels are changing in different areas around the world, bringing more rain (and therefore snow) to some areas, and less to others.
It's all very depressing and means that our grandchildren are going to inherit a very different world.

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

Hear! Hear!

It's what I've never understood - all the things we need to do to reduce the possible impact of AGW is what any rational, semi-intelligent being would be doing anyway.

Reduce energy consuption: forget GW, it saves you money and makes you less reliant on arab oil.

Walk don't drive: forget GW, it makes you healthier, fitter, you'll feel better and live longer.

Have a garden composter:- forget GW, it provides good, clean, compost for your garden - you get stronger plants and it costs you nothing

Holiday at home, not abroad:- forget GW, instead of terrorist fears, airport delays, and worries about foreign food, you get to see a part of your own country - you may just discover it's a place worth caring aboput after all. And besides - if you're British, what's the point in going abroad when it means you can't get any decent ale or cider?

Don't soil your own bed: forget GW, it's simply not nice. For you or anyone else.

And so on ......

It's what we used to call, back in the days when humans cared about one another, common sense.

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 07:59 AM
link   

I cant stand the eco freaks, they care more for the earth then they do quality of human life...

Now there is some sound logic for you. The two couldn't possibly be linked...

...sure they say that they are looking out for future generations but they do so with no facts.

And yours are where?

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by JoshGator54
If you say it enough it just has to be true! Right?

You suggest it is not agreed upon by the scientific community that global warming is occuring? Even the bush administration is saying it occurs.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join