It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Crocodile Hunter - Steve Irwin is Dead

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

It is rare to be killed by a stingray but it is also rare to live life as Erwin did

The doctor said the accident was very rare but so was Erwin

This is how he lived

He died as he lived ... on the edge

Excellent post - very well put

R.I.P. STEVE - you were a legend

[edit on 4/9/2006 by alienanderson]

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 12:17 PM
link   
OMG... this is so sad and such a sad day. I remember long rainy days and long sunny days whenever i would come home from playing i would sit and watch steve erwin. His wild expiditions and dangerous humor always brought a smile to my face...I have been watching his show since i was in elementry school and in just one year i will start college. It really crushes me inside i mean he was a great man, i feel so sry for his wife and children.

hope they get through it ok.

RIP STEVE i will miss you man...

[edit on 4-9-2006 by ATSGUY]

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Aai, this is very sad indeed. I couldn't believe it when I heard it on the radio this morning. I've always been convinced he wouldn't be killed by a croc, but by a f*cking stingray?! damn :shk: Very sad for his wife and two young kids.

RIP steve

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Both Steve and the camera crew might have triggered the animal's reaction...

The Australian: Steve Irwin's freak death filmed

"The footage shows him swimming in the water, the ray stopped and turned and that was it," said boatowner Peter West, who viewed the footage afterwards.

"There was no blood in the water, it was not that obvious ... something happened with this animal that made it rear and he was at the wrong position at the wrong time and if it hit him anywhere else we would not be talking about a fatality."

[---]

"He was up in the shallow water, probably 1.5m to 2m deep, following a bull ray which was about a metre across the body - probably weighing about 100kg, and it had quite a large spine.

"The cameraman was filming in the water."

Mr Cropp said the stingray was spooked and went into defensive mood.

"It probably felt threatened because Steve was alongside and there was the cameraman ahead, and it felt there was danger and it baulked.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

R.I.P. Steve

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I just spent a large part of the morning reading about him. It's sad that he is gone. I followed the other thread over to this one.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I think they should have kept two seperate threads, this one should just be for rememberances about him and his antics.

I think the other thread had some merit, however it was closed and redirected here and this really is not a conspiracy thread is it?

The thing about Steve however is that he was a millionaire conservationist and if I remember reading it correctly, he was also one of the largest employers in Queensland was it?

His death strikes me as very unusual, however he was a very unusual man and maybe there is nothing more to it than that, however I would like to see a proper investigation done, cause try as I might this just seems very odd to me and I don't know why.

Wealthy conservationist dead, in freak sting ray accident. I am batting an eye or two on this, something just does not feel right. If for a moment it turns out that his death was not an accident, then the question in my mind is who stands to gain with this conservationist out of the way? What projects was he working on or funding, and what infulence did he have that is now out of the way?

I hate to ask these questions at such a sensitive time, when everyone is pretty much in shock about this terrible death. I am so sad that his young son bob and daughter bindy will not have the pleasure of growing up with their dad, he was essentric to be sure, but he seems to have loved his children very much and his wife as well.

I would just for everyones sake like to know that all the angels are going to be covered on this one and that no stones are going to be unturned.

Oh did anyone ever see the movie he and his wife did a few years back? I read that is was a comedy about a croc that had swalled CIA film that if found and uncovered could topple the powers that be? Is that the correct plot? I admit I did not even know he had done a movie till I started reading about him.

Did his political views also cause some contraversy a couple years back with the Australian left? I heard he made quite a few enemies with his views.

Still he was a remarkable fellow a one of a kind I think with his antics and I think he will be missed by many.

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I spent a good part of the morning reading over this news too. And after reading up on how rare it is for people to die after being stung by a stingway, I too thought perhaps there was more to the story than whats being reported. And after the day wore on where more world-wide reports were coming up in Google's news, it seemed clear that he died exactly as reported; the animal felt caged in and Irwin was in the direct path for danger between the camera man and the stingway. Yet, there's still more to it.
What I find so striking in this story is it's irony. And as the day wore on, my thoughts were bombarded with words in regard to Irwins death.... metaphors -- many words...... nature, the animal kingdom, extinction, conservation, respect, honor, love, martyr, convictions, sword's, HEART, LOVE.
METAPHORS.

In short, things happen for a reason. Stevo Irwin's short stay on this planet affected millions.... I'm very sad at his passing but I rejoice that we all had the privilege to know him and to know his message, Love the beasts and the children! Thanks Stevo for the visit! We will miss you!

[edit on 4-9-2006 by Palasheea]

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Damn, I still can't get used to the fact that he's dead. This is very bad. Nothing will be the same anymore. I have watched alot of his shows. I got his movie CROCODILE HUNTER COLLISION COURSE. Matter of fact, the latest time I saw him was a few months ago when I was over my best friend's house-he and a bunch of others were trying to measure a croc. What he did was amazing. He was like the man of the jungle/desert/forest/ocean. Damn, this is so sad. I still can't get used to it. This is so bad. I'm gonna miss the guy alot. RIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Rest In Peace Steve Irwin! He was great. His love for animals and his efforts of Conservation and rescue. My thoughts go to his wife and kids, too. Must be very difficult for them.

RIP!

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Goodbye Steve, You Were One Of A Kind

He lived dangerously and cheated the odds as a matter of course, so in one sense it's no surprise to hear that misfortune finally caught up with him.

Still, it's a terrible shock -- especially given the circumstances -- and Steve Irwin is leaving behind not only a wife, son and daughter, but a big gaping hole in the lives of many people.

Australia has lost a legendary figure, a tireless and courageous champion for the preservation of endangered species, responsible management of wildlife and habitat preservation around the world.

He will be sorely missed.

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Hi Palasheea.

You are more than possibly correct that it may have been nothing more than a freak accident, but after spending the morning online, I don't feel convinced, and I would like to see every stone unturned on this one.

Since coming across a post the other day that remarked on how many such persons, (conservationists, enviornmentalist, etc) were meeting with freak accidents, or having very sudden heart attacks, I have endevoured to keep a keener eye on things, and this one feels out of the ordinary to me.

Don't get me wrong, in life, things like this can happen and they do happen, but it just feels unusual for one, nothing I have read has distilled that concern, and two we should at least ask the question who stands to gain from this? I naturally don't mean his wife or children. I mean out side interests.

Who will suddenly fill the void that he has left behind, who is waiting in the wings and the shadows? If anyone.

What will conservation efforts be like in Australia no that this very wealthy millionaire conserationist is out of the way? What plans can now move ahead? If indeed there are any such plans.

I laugh cause a year ago I would have taken this quite blankly and unquestioningly and now I ask questions. It does not hurt to ask questions, the answers may turn out to be nothing really out of the ordinary, however the answers may turn out to be quite extraodinary and that is why they need to be asked.

He was much more than some funny person who got up to some animal antics, many of us did expect him to die from a crocodile or some other antic, and maybe that is what's happened, but if not, then I would certainly like to know.

Anyway it will not be up to me to get the answers, but I at least will try to do my part by braving to ask the questions.

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 05:13 PM
link   
You are right -- who's going to fill his void (got that far in your post and will read on...). Yes, I'm suspicious -- this was my first reaction to this story.

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Yes, you are brave to address these issues and I'm glad you brought them up. And.... quite frankly, the more I think about all of this, the more angry I get.... something is really off about all of this.... something is amiss. This is my gut feeling.

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Very sad here in Oz, though steve polarized opinion here, you either loved him or hated him, he will be sadly missed.
All reports here suggest he was swimming a couple of metres above the ray when it went into defensive mode and flicked its tail at the perceived threat. The camera crew have footage which has been confiscated by local police who are investigating the death. The results of the autopsy are expected to be released at some time this morning, its 8am where i am at the moment but initial reports are suggesting cardiac arrest which would be related to the rays poisoned barb.
No conspiracy here folks, Steve lived on the edge and after many close calls he got caught out. Having grown up in the bush myself in Australia i have a great respect for all our deadly wildlife which Steve brought out first hand for most to see and learn about.
Weve spent a few great days at Australia Zoo, which is an amazing place, the kids just loved it, and are all terribly sad at the moment.
RIP steve im sure youll keep em occupied where ever you end up with that larrakin aussie attitude.

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by nephyx
damnn, those were some of my favorite movies. I especially like the 'You call that a knife, THIS is a knife!! ' scene.

For cryin' out loud.

That was Paul Hogan's Mick "Crocodile" Dundee.

Which was based on a genuine Northern Territory "character" and legendary bushman. Who, tragically, lost the plot and died in shootout with police a few years ago.

Steve Irwin appeared on the scene nearly a decade after the oroginal Croc movie. It was actually more like six years, but it took some time before audiences decided he wasn't just a pale Alby Mangles clone and began to give him some credit. And for him and Terri to realise audiences simply looked at footage of them rock-climbing and asked "why don't the camera crew help her?" when she gets into an "emergency" and requires Steve's assistance. Once they dropped the fake dramatic touches audiences warmed straight up to his schtick.

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Update: Police superintendant in charge of investigation say's that as steve was swimming above the ray it struck him in the chest, steve managed to remove the barb from his chest and was then helped to the surface by camera crew who began performing first aid. The superintendant finished by saying that over the years steve had helped the queensland police with numerous investigations and had never seeked to highlight his involvement and that they all were saddened by his untimely death. Press release expected shortly.

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Stingway deaths are rare. There's more to this story and that's the long and the short of it.

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 07:17 PM
link   
So because they're rare there's a conspiracy here? Please. Believe it or not NOT EVERYTHING is a conspiracy.

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Man, this sucks! The guy was the kind of nutter the world needs. He was a good nutter, using his offbeat nature for a really good cause: getting people to respect wildlife, even the creepy scaly type and show the beauty of all animals. He died doing what he loved.

The dude is a legend. Poor Terri and Kids.

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Palasheea
Stingway deaths are rare. There's more to this story and that's the long and the short of it.

Give me a break mate, yes they are rare, but not unknown, and as steve was actually trying to get close to one you could say that he was putting himself at more risk than a normal swimmer or diver who in most cases would not attempt to get that close. Deaths from jellyfish are also rare here but they do still happen, should these all now also become possible conspiracies, what about the extremely rare deaths caused by the red back spider, do these all now need to be investigated!! Sheesh. Where is this stuff coming from.

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Well, as Carl Sagan once said: "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary PROOF".
Stingway deaths are rare. The most recent stingway death in Austrialia occurred in 1947!
Shall I repeat that? 1947! A whopping 59 yrs ago!!
Lol, give me a break. There's something fishy about the circumstances surrounding the death of this extraordinary Conservationist. Sabatoge of some sort? Who knows? There are too many reasons to state here why this particular individual was/or could have been targeted. Nevertheless, I will keep his family in my prayers -- thats for sure! May he rest in Peace!

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 07:42 PM
link   
So what? A stingray will swim away before it attacks someone. This one had nowhere to go. It was cornered, so it lashed out.

Oh, right, I forgot. There's no such thing as an accident. It HAS to be a conspiracy.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join