It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Crocodile Hunter - Steve Irwin is Dead

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 03:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
What would they be doing with a speargun? Steve was a guy who didn't even Tranc crocs...

I hav`nt heard he did`nt eat fish?

I`m just saying its hard to come to grips with,a stingray

[edit on 4-9-2006 by gps777]

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Can't be bothered reading other pages, but apparently he was shooting a doco. Just off the news.

Well, there ya go. A family member lives up there. Apparently he goes by early each morning with a surfboard under his arm.

I never expected this to happen. This is really weird. Of course, you think about how close he comes to dying every time he appears on tv, but you never really consider it actually happening . . .

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 03:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Reality Hurts
This guy made the study and preservation of animals interesting again.

Maybe for you, but I remember a guy named Harry Butler, who made the study and knowledge of Australian fauna interesting to me, just as David Attenborough did it for the rest of the world.

I've been watching Steve Irwin's antics for years now, wondering when he was going to die. I grew up in the bush and all I can say is Steve is (or was) a text-book example of exactly what not to do with things such as red-bellied blacks and King Browns.

Thank you Trey Parker and Matt Stone for puncturing this image before it became too late. Now everyone will scream "You can't speak ill of the dead." I can and will.

Steve Irwin was an idiot who showed no respect for the deadly (9 of the world's 10 most venemous snakes are found in Oz) things he was holding and coupled with his incredibly annoying catchcry he was radically mis-educating an entire generation of kids.

He will not be missed in my household.

Any moron who holds a venemous snake by its tail and tells the audience that its angry now while waving it about deserves nothing less than to be bitten and die on camera.

Remember, this is the idiot that carried his infant into a crocodile pen.

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 03:20 AM
link   
This is very sad to discover indeed. The Croc Hunter did wonders for conservation of alot of Australias population. Im sure his dad Bob thought he would have his son burying him, not the other way around. My thoughts and prayers go out to his mom and dad, and wife and 2 children, and all the workers at the zoo. Croc Diaries is one of my daughters favorite shows. I too am not looking forward to her discovery of this news. Im really not sure how i should break this to her.

Sad day indeed.

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 03:32 AM
link   
Mulberryblueshimmer on this thread has posted that Steve dove in right on top of the ray,which i can at least imagine now how it happened.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Just watched the news and they said that Steve was filming a Tiger shark doco and was swimming with a largish stingray when it lashed out at him?

Also they said that there had been 2 fatalities from stingrays in Australia`s recorded history.(this being the thrird)

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 03:42 AM
link   
Prayers out to Steve's wife and two kids. I got to meet him once at his wildlife place in Queensland. While he used to make me cringe at times, I couldn't help but admire his passion.

I always thought he'd go out slipping on a Banana Peel or something...very sad day.

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 03:43 AM
link   
howlrunner
are you mentally ill?
i dont care what he did in the past the guys gone and you come here and say that
watch out for KARMA
:

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 03:50 AM
link   
After 2nd thoughts I will remove my thread attacking Howlrunners outburts in respect for the Croc hunter.

Personal opinions obvioulsy vary,

but this man was a aussie legend.

thats my opinion, and if howlrunner wishes to debate our differing thoughts I would ask a new thread be created.

RIP Steve Irwin.

[edit on 4-9-2006 by Agit8dChop]

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 03:58 AM
link   
Howlrunner, I could care less about the crocodile hunter but your post seems a bit out in left field. Who exactly are you trying to convince? us or yourself? He's just a guy who tried to preserve wildlife and you are lashing out against him. Although i dont believe in Karma, nor do i care about it, you my friend sound like a nightmare of a parent.

I hope its not too late for your children to develop a sense of a humor or compassion, because you have none.

'No you cant watch crocodile hunter because he plays with snakes'
'He should be dead RAWR'

[Mod Edit: Removed insult directed at another member.]

Terms And Conditions Of Use
2) Behavior: You will not behave in an abusive and/or hateful manner, and will not harass, threaten, nor attack anyone.

[edit on 2006-9-4 by wecomeinpeace]

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 04:00 AM
link   
Sad story!

Rest In Peace Steve Irwin.
Many thoughts and wishes to his family and friends he leaves behind.

helen

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 04:01 AM
link   
Cyrax,

The truth is the truth and the way Irwin treated deadly species on camera, with an audience made up largely of children and foreigners (as evidenced by posts right here, even), was nothing less than negligently criminal.

Do I mourn the guy? No.

Just as I don't mourn idiots who come off bikes while not wearing helmets.

I've dealt with Black, Brown, Tiger and Copperhead snakes in Australia. I've dealt with mambas in SEAsia. I've owned a pet dingo and a wedge-tailed eagle as well as several kangaroos and a wallaby. What I learned was respect for the animals and the correct way of handling them. Which I have never seen Irwin practise.

Even a pet Kangaroo requires respect. An adult male red in mating season can attack you and rip your gut open if he kicks. I've seen pictures of what a startled wombat can do early in the morning if he leaps. Yes, wombats can leap. I've seen what the pet dingo left of the pet kangaroo one day when he got into the pen unsupervised.

That is why I can speak that way.

I am sorry that his kids must grow up without a father, but I couldn't give a [snip] about the man himself. He was dangerous. Perhaps you missed that bit about carrying an infant into a croc pen?

HR4.

mod edit: censor circumvention

[edit on 4-9-2006 by sanctum]

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Stay on topic and stop with the personal bickering.

Thanks

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 04:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
HIs baby in the croc pen please...
this is a minority group crying loud enough to be heard.

When you put your child in your car, and drive.. are you considering the dangers your allowing your child to be part of ?..

Fine, let's get way off-topic.

When I put my child in a car and drive he is wearing a seatbelt. Well, at the time he was in an Australian Safety Standard-approved baby capsule inside his Grandma's Land Rover Discovery.

When he goes for a ride with his dad he wears a leather jacket, leather boots and a helmet and his dad doesn't go over 40 kph. His dad is also wearing a leather jacket and a helmet.

These are managed risks, using all the safety gear I can get him. I don't see how a two-metre fence between a baby and safety is managing a risk. Just ego-mania.

I need to lighten up? Maybe you need to do a little homework, come face to face with a deadly snake, treat a snakebite victim or live in an area where these are daily hazards, then tell me to lighten up.

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 04:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by HowlrunnerIV

I've dealt with Black, Brown, Tiger and Copperhead snakes in Australia. I've dealt with mambas in SEAsia. I've owned a pet dingo and a wedge-tailed eagle as well as several kangaroos and a wallaby. What I learned was respect for the animals and the correct way of handling them. Which I have never seen Irwin practise.

And how many times has Steve been bite by one of these dangerous snakes?
But ok your better i get that.

That is why I can speak that way.

Nothing gives you the right to speak the way you have except someone who is extremely rude and heartless.There are ways of speaking your mind and not be abusive especially when that someone has just died!

I am sorry that his kids must grow up without a father, but I couldn't give a $hit about the man himself. He was dangerous. Perhaps you missed that bit about carrying an infant into a croc pen?

Give it a break,and you must of missed people`s responses to your croc pen comments?

I`ll never get people that post like you have,you talk of Steve like he started wars raped babies and killed people for a living or something.

You did`nt like him but get some heart.

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 04:19 AM
link   
Damn dood.

no more crazy steve, he was like an unoffical member of the jack ass crew rly.

he always did press his luck eh? Well atleast he died doin' what he loved, messing with animals...

Remember the Black Mamba encounter? or the other countless poisonous snakes he'd mess with not to mention the times he jumped in the water to "wrassle a gator"

but still. . .

I'm going to miss him

ps: was he diving or was this near the surface?

[edit on 4-9-2006 by Lysergic]

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Ive been face to face with dugites before.

Want to know what I did?
Remembered all the times ive been told to stay away and call the professionals to deal with it.

IF im dumb enough to pick it up and carry it around, i deserve to be removed form the gene pool.

when these professionals comes, and deal with the snake issue, are they insane morons because they chose to protect and educate people about these dangerous creatures? to remove there desire to interact?

At no time was steve irwins baby in any more danger than your baby in a car.
Steve worked with these creaturs for years i imagine, and would of instinctivley picked up any chance of the croc lunging and attacking..

But it seems to me your more relaxed about the prospect of taking your child drivingo n the freeway, when there's just as good a chacne the person in the car oncoming is drunk.

In both instances unforseen events can happen...
your not labeled a bad parent for taking your child out in your car are you.
so why should steve be labeled a bad parent when he introduces his child to his work.

At both times there were present dangers, but you both felt positive in removing the threat before it became a problem.
Acept in this case, steve could see the threat face on, you were assuming the threat wasnt there at all.

The man was a legend, a smart entertaing character.
Just because people were put off by his charisma, or his anticts doesnt give them the right to be Disrespectful.

[edit on 4-9-2006 by Agit8dChop]

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 04:27 AM
link   
wow, I just realised how much people like to bitch about nothing really other than the fact they can bitch about something.

[edit on 4-9-2006 by Lysergic]

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 04:33 AM
link   
Adios steve miss you

R.I.P

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 04:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
Ive been face to face with dugites before.

Want to know what I did?
Remembered all the times ive been told to stay away and call the professionals to deal with it.

IF im dumb enough to pick it up and carry it around, i deserve to be removed form the gene pool.

We agree.

when these professionals comes, and deal with the snake issue, are they insane morons because they chose to protect and educate people about these dangerous creatures? to remove there desire to interact?

Not if they handled said dangerous snakes correctly, no. Not if they used the correct wrangling tools, trapped the snake behind its head and then held it immediately behind the jaws, thus isolating the dangerous end and retaining 100% control of the snake. None of which Steve did on camera. But perhaps you ignored the entire thrust of my argument.

At no time was steve irwins baby in any more danger than your baby in a car.

Obviously we disagree.

Steve worked with these creaturs for years i imagine, and would of instinctivley picked up any chance of the croc lunging and attacking..

and what was he going to do about it? Throw the child over the fence?

But it seems to me your more relaxed about the prospect of taking your child drivingo n the freeway, when there's just as good a chacne the person in the car oncoming is drunk.

And where there is a steel roo-bar between my son on the on-coming drunk, where I have 4-wheel drive to get me out of trouble, at least a half-metre vision over the rest of the traffic and 18 years driving experience.

In both instances unforseen events can happen...

Yes they can, hence the afore-mentioned precautions.

your not labeled a bad parent
quick edit there, I didn't notice an extra X chromosome had snuck up on me

for taking your child out in your car are you.
so why should steve be labeled a bad parent when he introduces his child to his work.

Because of what that work involves? If I were a miner would it be acceptable to take an infant down a coalmine? Does Michael Schumacher take his child out on the track in his race car? What's wrong with the child watching from behind the fence? Straight out of uni I worked as a concert lighting tech, I would never, in a milliion years, find it acceptable to introduce my child, or any child, to a half-rigged stage.

At both times there were present dangers, but you both felt positive in removing the threat before it became a problem.
Acept in this case, steve could see the threat face on, you were assuming the threat wasnt there at all.

If, after a lifetime of stories from my casualty nurse mother, I thought there was no threat at all I wouldn't be wearing a seatbelt, I wouldn't put my infant son in a baby capsule, I wouldn't bother with a helmet for him...

The man was a legend, a smart entertaing character.

As many people think, as his following shows.

Just because people were put off by his charisma, or his anticts doesnt give them the right to be Disrespectful.

It wasn't his charisma, and "antics" is a particularly good word for it. As for disrespect, yes, I have no respect for the man because of those antics. I also have no respect for George W Bush or Richard M Nixon, I have no respect for my Year 8 maths teacher or my ex-boss. I have every right to be disrespectful to all of these people.

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Sad to see anyone die I guess there wont be any more crocodile dundee films.

Rest in peace

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join