It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Of Creba, Arms, and Fear

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 10:29 PM
link   
It can be pretty questionable, like in the UK. Really, it depends where you are and what you used. People having loaded weapons in the house is *technically* illegal. If you were to...say...pick up a kitchen knife and gut them like a fish, the police would okay with it. Moderately.

Of course, Duzey, I would not want to get into a fight with a meth head, with or without the knife. They might have one too. There's a lot of psychology involved in knife-fighting - unless you're the one with the knife, trained, and have the element of surprise, I wouldn't recommend it. My combat knife is mean enough to give people second thoughts, but I don't quite know how to use it, beyond basic stabbing and slashing motions.

Of course, give me a twelve gauge, and I'd feel pretty confident. THAT is splatter power. I have distance, I have virtually guaranteed stopping power (even on a meth head), and if I pull the trigger, I'll have the police so far up my ass they'll be able to check my tonsils. But it's better than getting my dead on.

DE

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I wasn't sure where to put this bit of news, but this seemed like as good a place as any and is quite relevant to what we've been talking about. I've been blaming drug dealers and gangbangers for the influx of guns into Canada. Apparently that's not always the case.

A former police officer illegally sold hundreds of guns last year, including one found with two Canadians later accused in a terrorist plot in Toronto, federal authorities said.

Mark Nelson, 35, of Johnstown, has put more guns on the streets than anyone arrested in Ohio in at least 30 years, said Pat Berarducci, a spokesman for the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

Former U.S. cop sold gun to Cdn. terror suspects

Unbelievable. :shk:

You would think a cop would know better.

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 02:18 PM
link   
It's a trickle-down thing, Duzey. Friend sells it to a friend who sells it to a bad man.

New York has the same problem...all their illicit guns are coming in from states like florida and georgia, where all you need to show to buy a gun is a document proving you exist. College kids go down there, buy a bunch of cheap guns, and then trade them for money badly needed to get by, or guns. The people who get those guns trade them to the people bringing them up here. There was a really good article in the Star awhile back, following the path of a Glock 19 from the manufacterer to police custody after a murder.

Basically, woman buys the gun because her ex-husband is a crazy mo#er. Ex gets tossed in the slammer, so she sells the gun to a friend. Friend gets a good offer from a desperate trucker friend of his who was in with the Angels for meth. Trucker sells it to pay off his debts, HA brings it across the border. They sell it to some Janestown bloods, it's used in a murder.

It's a sad story, but chalk it up to another point for either mroe border control or decriminalizing more guns.

DE

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 03:33 AM
link   
i don't realy trust in the "crime is down" stats anymore. i am in the parkdale area and plenty of stuff goes on here. just take a walk on queen street just east of jamison ave between 12am and 5 am, you get OFFERED drugs, asked if you are looking to buy or sell. we even had a guy shot in the face just arround the corner from me. i have seen one hell of a big hookah (3 feet tall) being smoked right out in the open and it was definatly some sort of hashish that they were smokeing, you could smell it almost half a block away.

i don't tend to feel very safe anymore. the cops are almost helpless to protect us. they lock criminals up and next thing you know they are out on bail. i would love to be able to shoot an intruder before they have a chance to shoot me. thank god home invasions seem to be down at the moment. we even had like seven grow ops busted just a couple weeks ago a few blocks from me. cops are always driveing by and they can't even nail the hookers they disapear before a cop is even close to where they are, obviously they have scouts reporting police movements to them.

our gun laws are a joke. they only remove guns from those who would legaly own them while doing nothing to remove the guns from criminals. a criminal can obtain a gun in about an hour or so, while to legaly own a long gun takes background checks that take forever. all they achive is leaveing the average law abideing joe practicaly defenceless. the criminals have all the power it seems. the laws tend to protect the criminals more than those who obey the law. for example some dude breaks into your house, he trips and breaks his leg while inside ripping you off. he can sue you over it. why?
it should be a given that if you are not invited into a home whatever happens should be too bad so sad for them. after all arn't they comitting a crime why should they have ANY grounds to sue? as they say you roll the dice and take the chances.

now i could understand not being able to torture said crimminal but you should be able to protect yourself and your propperty. as it is now you can't use any greater force then they use. if they pull a five inch knife you better have a four inch knife at hand. if they have a baseball bat you can't use a machette. how stuipid is that? god forbid that you should use a gun at all. like i have said if someone is in the act of comitting a crime against you or even someone else it should be criminal's problem whatever happens. if they get shot, well too bad for them. mabe the crime rate would go down when the criminals suddenly find themselves severly injured or dead because of their actions. it would certainly make me think twice before breaking into a house or mugging someone.

one thing i am sick and tired of hearing is "but he was a good boy, he wasn't a crimminal" whenever the cops actualy shoot someone. this even happened when the cops shot a kid who was trying to run the offices down with a car.

then of course we have that lovely YOA. (young offender's act.). yes if you are under 18 years old you can pretty much get away with murder (literaly). so what we end up with is kids who are taught all about the YOA. in school and KNOW they can get away with it. they start off with petty crimes and have a tendancy to escalate their crimes. then they get older and well by then they just don't care and continue their crimes. i work at a store and have watched kids laugh at security when they get busted for shoplifting. they know that all they will get is a slap on the wrist for it. how does this help reduce crime? not only that but under this insane law they can't even be identified even if they kill 50 people (it would be unfair to them).

our laws here need a major overhaul. if you commit a violent crime you should be sent straight to jail for at least 15 years, (no parolle). kids should be identified when the kill at the very least so others know that they are dangerous. you should be alowed not only to carry a gun but also be alowed to use it as a lethat deterant especialy in your own home.

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Yeah, the YOA is the stuff of nightmares. The lawmakers were thinking that all these kids are poor, misunderstood, victims of circumstance...

Since when is being poor an excuse for stabbing some guy to death over a ten-rock?

DE

posted on Sep, 5 2006 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Oh look! Another example of stupidity in the justice system.

I don't know if any of you noticed this story:

A Canada-wide warrant has been issued for the arrest of an offender who was living at a minimum security native healing lodge near Harrison, B.C.

Thirty-four-year-old Darrell McCaig escaped from the lodge today. He is serving a 17-year, 11-month sentence for a string of offences including attempted murder, two counts of robbery and assault with a weapon.

Canada-wide warrant issued for B-C escapee with a violent history

I would have passed right over it except for I remembered his name. He was in jail for going on the run while he was on parole after serving 2/3 of his sentence.

Why was he in a minimum security facility?

Only a short 14 months ago:

With police hot on his tail Sunday night, the 33-year-old career criminal - on the lam from his parole officer - barricaded himself in a portable toilet at Centennial Park in Mission.

With officers surrounding the porta-potty, Mission RCMP Const. Tom Behm said McCaig threatened police not to come in "because he had a knife."
Correctional Service of Canada officials say McCaig had just been given statutory release July 13 after serving two-thirds of a 17-year, 10-month sentence for 21 serious offences between 1990 and 1997. Some of those offences included forcible confinement, two break-ins, assault with a weapon, use of a firearm and robbery. McCaig will stay in jail until the National Parole Board decides when he should be released again.

Standoff ends when fugitive emerges from portable toilet

I don't know what to say other than :shk:.

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 12:29 AM
link   
So....forcible confinement, two counts attempted murder, and I'm guessing quite a string of felonious assaults. Yeh, sounds like minimum security material. It's like the banger who was on parole for weapons and drug charges...

Who got another gun, and shot a man to death at a funeral.

Welcome to the Canadian justice system, Duzey. Something else I came across:

Another sore point arises from the federal government's licencing scheme. Before a woman can get a firearm licence (possession and acquisition licence, or PAL), she has to take a Canadian Firearms Safety Course. Then she has to apply for the PAL.

If she is a woman who is in imminent danger from a man who is stalking her, it is often because she has dumped him and left him, and he refuses to respect her decision. She may be justifiably terrified of him, but our society does not recognize her legitimate fears or allow her the means to protect her own life and the lives of her children from his criminal violence. The police will not, cannot, and do not provide a sentry to stand watch over her, even if they know that her fears are justified. She stands alone.

Because he is twice her size, she decides that she needs a firearm so that she can arrest him the next time he violates the court order to stay away from her. She takes the course, and starts to fill out the application for a PAL. Item 18 requires her to tell the bureaucrat who will process the form the name and address and contact information for the man she has dumped and left. It also contains this paragraph:

* "The signature of your former spouse, common-law partner or other conjugal partner is not legally required. However, if their signature is not provided, the Chief Firearms Officer has a duty [emphasis added] to notify them of your application."

Chilling, isn’t it? The government wants to warn him that she wants a PAL. And regulation 4(1) says that the CFO "Shall, at least 15 days before issuing" a [PAL] to her, "give notice of the application...to each current or former spouse of common-law partner…"

That gives him a minimum of 15 clear days to kill her before she can possibly be able to protect herself from his criminal violence.

Additionally, the CFO is forbidden to issue her PAL until "at least 28 days have elapsed since the application was made…" There is no limit on how long he can delay issuance without formally refusing to issue. A formal refusal would allow her to haul him into court for unlawful refusal. Many bureaucrats use that loophole to refuse to issue by refusing to decide whether or not to issue. Such delays can run on for months or even years.

Fifteen days is a lot. Scary, in a way. Well, just another reason why you take your chances defending yourself these days in Canada. If you can, which is also pretty doubtful.

DE

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 05:02 PM
link   
www.citynews.ca...

The province's Special Investigations Unit has been called in following a deadly confrontation between a suspect and police in York Region.

According to the SIU officers went to a house near Mulock Dr. and Leslie St. in Newmarket Thursday afternoon after receiving a break-and-enter call. At some point shots were fired by police and the 27-year-old suspect was fatally struck.

Armed suspects in people's houses...in the burbs no less. This is the second or third such incident THIS YEAR- as in a home invasion in York during which police fire has killed a suspect. The first instance I can remember involved a call to the ETF. Lookit how safe we are!

Global News is running a report on what people in the area are doing to 'defend' themselves. I'll be suitably unimpressed. EDIT: Watch out! Video Cameras! oh, man. I'm sure that really comforted the woman who was ordered out of her house by a criminal. If he had meant harm, well...thsoe video cameras certainly wouldn't have stopped her. Who would have opened their doors to a bloodied, frazzled man they didn't know?

DE

[edit on 8-9-2006 by DeusEx]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join