It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New York Building Collapses After Explosion

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 10:31 AM
link   
The explosion went off at 8:40 or so and the offices don't open until 9AM (thank goodness) which explains the reason for no patients at the offices.

Secondary searches of the building have revealed another 3 minor injuries (in addition to the 5 civilians and 5 firefighters injured earlier) to pedestrians but nothing major.

All I can say is this could have been a lot worse.

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 10:35 AM
link   
So the poor bastard lived? He is going to

wish he hadn't. :shk: Why not take an overdose, like someone else suggested?

Surely, he had access to all kinds of stuff being a doctor.

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I am a mile and a half from the site of the explosion if anyone wants me to go poke around.

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 10:38 AM
link   

So the poor bastard lived?

Reminds me of the urban legend...

In France, Jacques LeFevrier left nothing to chance when he decided to commit suicide. He stood atop a sheer cliff and tied a noose around his neck. He tied the other end of the rope to a large rock. He drank some poison and set fire to his clothes. He even tried to shoot himself at the last moment. He jumped and fired the pistol. The bullet missed him completely and cut through the rope above him. Now freed from the threat of hanging, he plunged into the sea. The dunking extinguished the flames and made him vomit the poison. He was dragged out of the water by a kind fisherman and was taken to a hospital, where he died of hypothermia.

www.darwinawards.com...

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 10:40 AM
link   
mile and a half? I'm 6 blocks south and 2 blocks east of there.

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 10:42 AM
link   
11 hurt. Ahhhh...He was divorcing and NEEDED TO SELL THE BUILDING????
Fox news......

This smells.

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I'm on the west side and would have to take a stroll through the park to see the damage...seems like others are closer and take some pictures for us

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe

11 hurt. Ahhhh...He was divorcing and NEEDED TO SELL THE BUILDING????
Fox news......

This smells.

Sure does MSNBC just reported the town house in the building was valued at around 10 Million. Hmmm insurance fraud also a possiblity given he wanted to sell the building

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur
mile and a half? I'm 6 blocks south and 2 blocks east of there.

Put your roller skates on and dash over there and let us know whats what.

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Well I need some exercise anyway so I'll take a walk over there and see how close I can get. If I get any interesting pictures, I'll post them here.

Edit:

Well my digital camera remains elusive so I'm not sure if I'll be able to do this.

New edit:

OK, found digital camera, battery recharging, will try to travel to the site soon

[edit on 7/10/2006 by djohnsto77]

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 11:06 AM
link   
I hate the rumors that go around with stories like this. Ten minutes ago they stated on MSNBC the town house was valued at 10 million and now they are saying the building was vauled at 5 million

Cub reporters suck and if they are not cub reporteers they should know better not to release info until it is confirmed.

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mechanic 32

Given that it's only a three story building,
I don't see the motivation for anyone to deliberately do anything to this building.

And it looks like it's in a residential neighborhood.
But then again, you never know. [...]

~~

some while back on ATS, there was a post that might explain what's happening...

suppose there were sleeper cells of Jihadists,
in major cities like Boston, NYC, Phila., Baltimore, Wash. DC

suppose there was a mission for these cells to rig up buildings, wharehouses
even apartments within the cities mentioned, to blow up around a certain date
and time.
imagine dozens of 'targets' in each city blowing up within minutes of one another.

You do realize the Panic that would ensue, yes?

Maybe its just my imagination or idle fiction, but a well timed & orchestrated
massive number of targets, all over the east coast...would be as spectacular
as the events of 9-11.
would you consider that this un-remarkable building was a premature
explosion in that galaxy of targets the sleeper cell Jihadists are rigging up?

....hey, this is a conspiracy site and thread,
let's get busy with other paths of conspiracy about this event!!

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by shots
I hate the rumors that go around with stories like this. Ten minutes ago they stated on MSNBC the town house was valued at 10 million and now they are saying the building was vauled at 5 million

Cub reporters suck and if they are not cub reporteers they should know better not to release info until it is confirmed.
I hate it when that happens. They dont have facts so they make up their own.

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 11:35 AM
link   
As a small aside to this thread, does anyone think that the media blows NYC stuff like this WAY out of proportion? Two or three years ago we had 3 or 4 houses in the northern suburbs blow up from an exploding gas main and it barely got national attention 3 days after the fact.

I admit that the first thing I saw on cnn.com was the red breaking news banner, "NYC", and "explosion." My first thoughts were "oh great here we go again." Is that what the media wants up to think? Or is NYC just that much more news worthy than Chicago?

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Finally not just something on the boob tube, we now have hard print confirming the suicide theory.

Scoppetta said authorities were investigating the possibility that the blast was the result of a suicide attempt. "We're still investigating that, talking about the potential for suicide. So that's a distinct possibility."

A police official told The Associated Press that the lawyer for the doctor's wife contacted police recently and said that she had received an e-mail from him in which the physician, 66-year-old Nicholas Bartha, indicated he was contemplating suicide.

He was going through a difficult divorce and was being forced to sell the building, and authorities believe the explosion may have be related to a suicide attempt, the police official said, speaking on condition of anonymity because the investigation is ongoing.

News Yahoo

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Sounds like he didnt want the wife to have the building???
Strange things happen.

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I think this is one of those rare, weird cases where a suicide attempt does deserve the death penalty. Unfortunately I think the death penalty reinstatement act by the NY legislature has been hopelessly tied up in our courts by liberal groups.

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fiverz
As a small aside to this thread, does anyone think that the media blows NYC stuff like this WAY out of proportion? Two or three years ago we had 3 or 4 houses in the northern suburbs blow up from an exploding gas main and it barely got national attention 3 days after the fact.

I admit that the first thing I saw on cnn.com was the red breaking news banner, "NYC", and "explosion." My first thoughts were "oh great here we go again." Is that what the media wants up to think? Or is NYC just that much more news worthy than Chicago?

I do think we get a bit more coverage here than other cities would for the same exact incident but that is directly related to your second paragraph.

Case in point: a few weeks back I was exiting the subway when I was greeted with a swarm of biohazard trucks, men in biohazard suits, helicopters, cops, firemen etc. Seems a pink mist was coming from a man's bag and he was waving it around the street, in a panic. The initial reaction was terror. The real story? Bank robber waving the explode-a-pack to make it disperse faster.

Also, there's been a ton of press lately regarding the DHS cutting out funding for anti-terror measures and then we have the announcement of the tunnel plot which they uncovered as well as the plot to blow up the PATH trains.

So yeah, we're going to get more coverage on an explosion than most other cities.

It certainly seems like this was a "war of the roses" event. Destroy the marital property in question. He deserves to live. Peniless and vilified in the press, with no chance of ever being viewed as anything other than the moron who tried to off himself and take his assets with him, unsuccessfully. He'll lose everything he owns now.

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
From CNN -

NYC Fire Commissioner Nicholas Scoppetta says a gas explosion appears to be the cause of the building collapse.

I don't know, but if it was terrorists i'm gonna kick their asses!
but i dought it was, because why would terrorists blow up a 3 story building
???

signature:cody900

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 12:51 PM
link   
It was some crazy doctor that was in divorce proceedings with his wife and didn't want her to get his assets so he tried to kill himself and at the same time destroy his property.

Unfortunately for him, he lived through it and will most likely spend a long life in Sing Sing.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join