It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

f-18 crashes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2006 @ 09:58 AM
link   
www.military.com...

does anyone know how this happened, in this day and age with radar it must be fairly difficult to crash unless you are doing something stupid.

justin

posted on Jun, 27 2006 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by justin_barton3
www.military.com...

does anyone know how this happened, in this day and age with radar it must be fairly difficult to crash unless you are doing something stupid.

justin

Alright have your openion but dont call people stupid espesially considering one of those guys died and now is family has to go on with out a Dad so watch what words you use here. Also when you doing combat training ie dogfighting accidents do happen. Infact there has been a fair number of them in the past as is part fo the risk of being a pilot. As for how exactly it happened im not sure as there is very little information but there will be an investigation so im sure in a couple months you can go an read how this pilot did something "stupid".

posted on Jun, 27 2006 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by justin_barton3

Not really, they were practicing ACM, as such all that matters is situational awareness and a strict adherence to the TR. Someone probably slipped up and unfortunately a tragic accident occurred. All the advanced sensors and radars in the world won’t save you in that situation; it all depends on you, the pilot.

The F18-C Hornet jets from Lemoore Naval Air Station were practicing dogfighting maneuvers at about 11:15 a.m. when they crashed above Fort Hunter Liggett, a remote Army Reserve base 150 miles south of San Francisco, said Navy spokesman Dennis McGrath.

[edit on 27-6-2006 by WestPoint23]

posted on Jun, 27 2006 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Canada_EH
Alright have your openion but dont call people stupid espesially considering one of those guys died and now is family has to go on with out a Dad so watch what words you use here. Also when you doing combat training ie dogfighting accidents do happen. Infact there has been a fair number of them in the past as is part fo the risk of being a pilot. As for how exactly it happened im not sure as there is very little information but there will be an investigation so im sure in a couple months you can go an read how this pilot did something "stupid".

i apologise if i caused any offense i honestly didnt mean to. but i didnt say the pilots were stupid i said maybe they were doing something stupid.

however i just learnt to read things through properly not to just skim read them before posting on here. cheers for helping me to read my own link properly.

justin

posted on Jun, 27 2006 @ 10:37 AM
link   
So the aircraft actually collided while doing ACM? Not the greatest thing to happen. Was it cooperative ACM or counter-operative a la Top Gun?

posted on Jun, 27 2006 @ 10:46 AM
link   
how will those 2 planes be replaced? will they be replaced by new planes bought purely to replace them as a special order, or will they be replaced next time the us orders an upgrade?

justin

posted on Jun, 27 2006 @ 12:51 PM
link   
You might be surprised at how often planes crash then Justin. Air International runs a two page spread every month detailing the latest crunches and splats. Three months ago there was a photo of an Mi8 Hip helicopter that was about 70% submerged in a swamp after the pilot mistook it for a field and landed.

Going way back I remember an RAF Phantom on ACT actually shooting down, with a sidewinder, the Jaguar it was excercising against. The Jag pilot got out OK thanks to the frantic calls from the Phantom as soon as they realised it was a live round they had just launched

Pilots aren't the geniuses they'd like us to think you know, they're just fallible human beings.

[edit on 27-6-2006 by waynos]

posted on Jun, 27 2006 @ 04:30 PM
link   
That's one reason the kill ratio plumetted during Vietnam. The US pilots were only allowed to do similar ACM (F-4 v F-4, etc) and the rules were so insanely strict that they could barely manuver. Because they had so many crashes around that time doing ACM training.

They have spare birds that they'll use to replace these.

new topics

top topics

join