I'll be splitting up my predicitons for the next century in categories so bare with me.
Space Travel Technologies & Infrastructure
1. Space Elevator: By 2106, our species will have several space elevators making the price of access to Space as cheap as current day Transatlantic
2. High Trust Ion Engines for Interplanetary travel: By 2030, if progress keeps at this pace in Ionic thrust, we could potentially see the first
designs of High Thrust Ion Engines. What they will be based on, your guess is as good as mine.
3. Spaceborn Agriculture and Aquaculture: This one is gonna be tricky even by 2106 if we have not developed a means to manipulate and amplify gravity.
If we don't have it then we're gonna have to rely on massive structures rotating to generate gravity. This technology is necessary for Lunar and
4. Primitive Terraforming entering the sterile lab prototype stage: I see putting a bunch of different and competing projects to try to terraform a
portion of the Lunar surface within a geodesic dome. It's not the real deal, but it will prove to be invaluable practice for the real effort on
5. Marsian Colonization is well into the planning stages: After the first Human steps foot on Mars in the 2060s, nearly a hundred years after the
Apollo Program, will usher in a new age of stagnation in space travel because due to political will, the mission was just a stopover point on the
surface and then blastoff, doing no real science in the process. 40 Years later with recent breakthroughs(and a world fully recovered from the great
Collapse), our future decendants(or selves) will be watching the competition for the colonization plan.
6. Mercury Solar Power station nearing completion: Using giant Gigawatt microwave laser to beam the vast amounts of solar energy collected on the
surface of Mercury by massive blankets of solar sells, built with Mercury's very own surface material, some of these stations by the year 2106 will
be bigger then Texas. Such a system would provice a nearly limitless source of power for a variety of uses. One such use could be to send probes to
other solar systems at relatavistic speeds.
Energy Related Innovations
1. Solar Energy from Mercury beamed via MASER back to earth or elsewhere.(see above)
2. Cheap, Safe, and Reliable He-3 Fusion power
3. Frictionless Wind Turbines which converts half the potential wind energy into power.
4. Near-100% Efficient Solar Panels
1. True all terrain vehicles are on the market and widely available worldwide. Gains traction through Van Der Waals forces giving it the ability to
"stick" to any surface at the molecular level. Expandable Vacuum cells could give such a vehicle Water or Airborn capabilities as well, though such
a system will be priced at a premium.
2. All vehicles produce no pollution or CO2
3. Solid State Aircraft(Planes that fly like a bird by flapping its wings).
Molecular Manufacturing will be widespread and commonplace by now. This is a universal invention replacing everything else that came before in one
Weapons and Warfare
ICBMs, Bullets, & any other "solid state" weapon is obsolete by this time. M.A.D. no longer rules the day. Laser and Partical cannons replace
bullets and ICBMs as the main tools of military "suppression."
Culture, Economics & Government
By this time, our culture and governmental systems will be very alien to us now. It would be far more alien to us then it would be for someone in 1906
coming to our time. Sure they 1906 person would be shocked, but I don't think it will compare to the difference between now and 2106.
Governments by now are much more decentralized and much smaller.
No NWO or One world government has taken control for the same reason the Economy Collapsed in the late 21st century. Molecular Manufacturing forced
not only our economy to change radically within a short period of time, it also forced the vast majority of Governments into bankruptsy along with all
their debt holders(due to massive numbers of businesses closing up shop and removing the potential tax generated by the empoyees and store itself).
By the time the dust settles very few Old style Nation States are left standing. In this era, loosely affiliated Clans rule the day. Some of these
Clans will even be able to trace their roots back to a particular Counterstrike Clan that took a life of its own somehow in someway.
The society is much more Libertarian in the aspect of Personal Property. Clans in this time will own vast swaths of land formerly belonging to the
previous superpowers of the world and on this land, the buck stops with the benevolent dictator heading the clan who controls said land.
In conclusion: I read too much Neil Stephonson.
[edit on 17-6-2006 by sardion2000]
[edit on 17-6-2006 by sardion2000]