It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Age of Science, New Inventions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 06:47 PM
link   
We are in the new millenium, and it is an age where bio-tech, nanotech, and genetic engineering will be of science fiction made to science fact proportions.

We are in an age of wonders!

The next 100 years will see the advent and invention of such amazing devices, things we will come to rely upon and it is all due to science and the microchip.

So folks, what kinds of inventions would you like to see happen in these next 100 years?

Thanks,

-ADHD

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I would not mind having a 1 THz quad core processor in my computer. Thats possible in the next 100 years rite?

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 07:55 PM
link   
A terahertz is do-able within 15 years, and a quad can be done now in a server. So I see it very soon.

I predict within 10 years we will be able to have complete life simulation graphics capability. A completely free roaming digitial 3d image made up of random bits of code that looks and moves normally. Grand theft auto 9 will look this way I bet.

-ADHD

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 08:02 PM
link   
100 years eh?.... himmmmm..

Cyborg animals think of it.... From the Ant to the Tiger...

Implants .... Human life will go from 70 to 130 years to live...

Space.... Mars has its own USA as does the Moon...

Sorry so much thought so little time .... And i cant type worth a dam..

Drow....

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 10:08 PM
link   
how about mechs and all that cool crap

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Mech's may not be that far off there working on them in Japan.

All movie's made in 3D
Space cruises to other soler systems
Money to grow on tree's

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I think we're going to have a lot of optical technology, especially in the computer realm. In theory, optical computers would make today's fastest computers look like a bunch of turtles swimming in molasses. I think nano will progress quite a bit, but it's still got a long ways to go, in my opinion, though in 100 years there will definitely be some cool stuff out there.

I think that by far the greatest potential (for good or bad) is in the biotech fields, though. To me, it seems like there is a lot of untapped ground to cover in that area. We might see advances in cloning, genetics, hybrid animals (or people!), medicine, longevity, and all sorts of stuff like that.

One that a few people have said is an advanced space program. I don't think this will happen, primarily for economic and political reasons, rather than technological ones. I wouldn't be surprised if we visited the moon and Mars with manned missions, but I doubt people are going to be living off the Earth in 100 years, except for things like the International Space Station. I could see maybe some little research colonies, like we have in Antarctica, being on nearby planets/moons, but that's about all I'd bet on.

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I beleive mankind is on the verge of greatness, if we can survive blowing each other up! The next 100 years are certainly going to be interesting!

Space elevator, I cant wait for this! Shipping up tonnes of stuff into space at a low cost, allowing us to build huge space stations and research space travel properly.

Space planes, aircraft that can fly so high that they make it into space! I am looking forward to my first holiday in space.

Practical Cold Fusion, clean free energy for everyone

Antimatter, advanced antimatter research enabling huge amounts of energy to be created.

Light speed, I beleive with further antimatter research, there is no reason why the light speed barrier cant be beaten

Incredible computers, not only supremely fast but huuuge amounts of storage, I expect to save the whole of the internet on my PDA!

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 11:28 PM
link   
I'll be splitting up my predicitons for the next century in categories so bare with me.

Space Travel Technologies & Infrastructure

1. Space Elevator: By 2106, our species will have several space elevators making the price of access to Space as cheap as current day Transatlantic travel.

2. High Trust Ion Engines for Interplanetary travel: By 2030, if progress keeps at this pace in Ionic thrust, we could potentially see the first designs of High Thrust Ion Engines. What they will be based on, your guess is as good as mine.

3. Spaceborn Agriculture and Aquaculture: This one is gonna be tricky even by 2106 if we have not developed a means to manipulate and amplify gravity. If we don't have it then we're gonna have to rely on massive structures rotating to generate gravity. This technology is necessary for Lunar and Marsian colonization.

4. Primitive Terraforming entering the sterile lab prototype stage: I see putting a bunch of different and competing projects to try to terraform a portion of the Lunar surface within a geodesic dome. It's not the real deal, but it will prove to be invaluable practice for the real effort on Mars.

5. Marsian Colonization is well into the planning stages: After the first Human steps foot on Mars in the 2060s, nearly a hundred years after the Apollo Program, will usher in a new age of stagnation in space travel because due to political will, the mission was just a stopover point on the surface and then blastoff, doing no real science in the process. 40 Years later with recent breakthroughs(and a world fully recovered from the great Collapse), our future decendants(or selves) will be watching the competition for the colonization plan.

6. Mercury Solar Power station nearing completion: Using giant Gigawatt microwave laser to beam the vast amounts of solar energy collected on the surface of Mercury by massive blankets of solar sells, built with Mercury's very own surface material, some of these stations by the year 2106 will be bigger then Texas. Such a system would provice a nearly limitless source of power for a variety of uses. One such use could be to send probes to other solar systems at relatavistic speeds.

Energy Related Innovations
1. Solar Energy from Mercury beamed via MASER back to earth or elsewhere.(see above)

2. Cheap, Safe, and Reliable He-3 Fusion power

3. Frictionless Wind Turbines which converts half the potential wind energy into power.

4. Near-100% Efficient Solar Panels

Transportation
1. True all terrain vehicles are on the market and widely available worldwide. Gains traction through Van Der Waals forces giving it the ability to "stick" to any surface at the molecular level. Expandable Vacuum cells could give such a vehicle Water or Airborn capabilities as well, though such a system will be priced at a premium.

2. All vehicles produce no pollution or CO2

3. Solid State Aircraft(Planes that fly like a bird by flapping its wings).

Industry
Molecular Manufacturing will be widespread and commonplace by now. This is a universal invention replacing everything else that came before in one fell swoop.

Weapons and Warfare
ICBMs, Bullets, & any other "solid state" weapon is obsolete by this time. M.A.D. no longer rules the day. Laser and Partical cannons replace bullets and ICBMs as the main tools of military "suppression."

Culture, Economics & Government
By this time, our culture and governmental systems will be very alien to us now. It would be far more alien to us then it would be for someone in 1906 coming to our time. Sure they 1906 person would be shocked, but I don't think it will compare to the difference between now and 2106.

Governments by now are much more decentralized and much smaller.

No NWO or One world government has taken control for the same reason the Economy Collapsed in the late 21st century. Molecular Manufacturing forced not only our economy to change radically within a short period of time, it also forced the vast majority of Governments into bankruptsy along with all their debt holders(due to massive numbers of businesses closing up shop and removing the potential tax generated by the empoyees and store itself).

By the time the dust settles very few Old style Nation States are left standing. In this era, loosely affiliated Clans rule the day. Some of these Clans will even be able to trace their roots back to a particular Counterstrike Clan that took a life of its own somehow in someway.

The society is much more Libertarian in the aspect of Personal Property. Clans in this time will own vast swaths of land formerly belonging to the previous superpowers of the world and on this land, the buck stops with the benevolent dictator heading the clan who controls said land.

In conclusion: I read too much Neil Stephonson.

[edit on 17-6-2006 by sardion2000]

[edit on 17-6-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Oops, left some stuff out.

Human Enhancement Technology
1. Memory and Intellect Drugs and Implants are now available.

2. Artificial Eyes much superior to our own is on the market

3. Lifespan will now be measured in Centuries rather then Decades, Mars and Lunar colonization is being pushed forward due to necessity as is Interstellar research for the very same reason(overpopulation)

4. Many other enhancement technologies now exist in this era that give Humans veritable Superhuman characteristics.

Information Technology
By the 2050s IT will be bumping heads with the Laws of Physics as we know them today. Quantum Computers are bountiful and cheap by 2106. New area's of research are finally achieving some minor successes into FTL Information transfer, though by this time, no "Hello World" message has been sent yet.

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 02:02 AM
link   
"We are in the new millenium, and it is an age where bio-tech, nanotech, and genetic engineering will be of science fiction made to science fact proportions."

all of these things already have applications already it is science fact notgoing to be.

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 02:27 AM
link   
In regards to walking mechanised units, its just not a viable means of warfare... would be great for intimidation though.

The only thing I can see walking machines used for is in forrestry, and construction/demolition where there are too many obstacles to clear efficiently to get the job done within financial reason.

A huge chunk of time in forrestry and construction/demolition is wasted on making clear paths to the work site. Something legs can easily overcome.

In regards to nanotech, sign me up for bio-mechanical augmentations.

Hell, perhaps being semi-immortal isnt that far off.

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 02:40 AM
link   

In regards to walking mechanised units, its just not a viable means of warfare... would be great for intimidation though.

Define walking. Do you mean two legs? four legs? eight? The fact is, wheels and treads are the best when dealing with mostly flat terrain, the rougher it gets, the returns diminish.

Legs have been used in Nature for hundreds of millions of years. Walkers will eventually replace what we now know as Tanks. They will still look like tanks from the waist up though. Low profile, huge gun, minimal crew, etc. The only difference is in the way it provides motion. Just think of how capable a Tank with centipede-like "legs" which gain traction on the Nanoscale through Van Der Waals forces, of which, they will likely have million to billions of individual legs on the belly. Add in a flexible hull, and you have a true all terrain tank. Slap on some Active Camoflauge and you can park these babies on cliff sides waiting to ambush the enemy, and they won't know what hit 'em either.

Do not limit your view of walkers to the image below.

Think more Biomemetic.

[edit on 18-6-2006 by sardion2000]

new topics

top topics

join