It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Over FIFTY earthquakes in the last several hours in Alaska and still counting

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 03:15 AM
link   
Well today is my birthday,so looks like there's a hell of a party.

That aside,I find this kinda strange,but I'm sure things like this have happened before and panicked people.Guess we'll see how things go.

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by rai76
Maybe a stupid question but could it be something to do with a Volcano in that area? Does someone know if there is one there?

yes 60 km (35 miles) SW of Kiska Volcano, Alaska this is the closest one to the action, does anyone know anything about this volcano???

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 03:19 AM
link   
If found this site link

Alaska Volcano Observetory

d1k

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 03:19 AM
link   
They slipped in two more under the 5.2 Sumatra quake to make it a total of 27. Another 4.0 and a 2.7.
And another, we're now at 28.
And another. We're now at 29
And another, we just hit 30.
And another. 31
Three more. Thats 34 quakes in six and a half hours.

[edit on 14-6-2006 by d1k]

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 03:29 AM
link   

I look at these maps fairly frequently because of family living on fault lines, I just don't see anything out of the ordinary other than the quiescent area south of Vancouver Island.
That area of the coast is usually more active.

EDIT: Add Link...........
www.iris.washington.edu...

[edit on 14/6/2006 by anxietydisorder]

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Well, according to USGS there have been a few earthquakes in the area over the past few days. IMO I would guess the land is just settling into place. If you live on the beach I would be worried of bigger than normal waves.

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Alaska has more earthquakes per year than the combined total of the rest of the United States. As many as 4,000 are recorded there every year. Alaska is on a plate boundary where one plate is sliding along another, a subduction zone.

Thats enough for 11 every day.

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 03:46 AM
link   
WOW, thats alot of shaking.
I guess for future reference these things are normal would ya say ?

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 03:49 AM
link   
I know nothing about earthquakes or whats normal for the region, I just looked that little bit of info up.

I guess it could turn into anything though. The big ones have to form somehow.

d1k

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 03:49 AM
link   
I'm anything but knowledgeable but 33 quakes in six and a half hours? That cannot be normal. I was looking at some of the history of the USGS list and the most that I saw was 2-3 quakes in one area.

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 03:50 AM
link   
All these quakes are being reported from the Rat Islands.
They're big honkin' volcanos.

Earthquake History of Alaska

The earth's most active seismic feature, the circum-Pacific seismic belt, brushes Alaska and the Aleutian Islands, where more earthquakes occur than in the other 49 States combined. More than 80 percent of the planet's tremors occur in the circum-Pacific belt, and about six percent of the large, shallow earthquakes are in the Alaska area, where as many as 4,000 earthquake at various depths are detected in a year.
earthquake.usgs.gov...

Perhaps one of the islands is gonna blow................

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 03:52 AM
link   
This page says 5000 - 6000 every year.

13 a day !

seagrant.uaf.edu...

d1k

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by anxietydisorder
All these quakes are being reported from the Rat Islands.
They're big honkin' volcanos.

Go to page two of this thread, I put a few links to the 2 active volcanos in the area that are set at code YELLOW but they are quite far away. Theres even links to web cams on them.

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 03:55 AM
link   
are you kidding me? This can't be normal.
Take a look at the readout - i made a screenshot

This readout can't look normal to anybody.
You don't usualy see more than 2 or 3 quakes on the same spot in the USGS readout. but now more than 30 in a row?

not to mention 2 more quakes were logged while I was typing this. (Make that 3.)

[edit on 14/6/06 by Urizen]

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 03:56 AM
link   
The last calculation I did was one quake every 12 minutes, butthat was a little bit ago, there has been a few more since then. I am guessing it has changed only slightly.

The math used was just a estimated average, an actual chronological listing of events would be useful.

d1k

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by ADVISOR
An actual chronological listing of events would be useful.

Everytime a new quake happens I edit the original post on page 1 with the latest info. Or you can just go look here earthquake.usgs.gov... but your pretty much right with your time frame more or less.

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 04:04 AM
link   
I noticed that, after I replied, lol. you guys are updateing this thread faster than I can type a reply.

This is turning into a very odd chain of events, I'm sure when the Alaskans wake up they will have some good data to report. If this goes unmentioned later in the day I would be very surprised.

That chart you provided, it needs to be linked and data saved for later use. It has all the good details, depth and stuff like that is awsome.

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 04:13 AM
link   
There was also one in Russia this morning 5.7

visz.rsoe.hu...

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 04:15 AM
link   
I am guessing the pacific plate is moving up.
Guesing up becuase of slight sumatra activity earlier

[edit on 14-6-2006 by imbalanced]

ISJ

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 04:21 AM
link   
Sorry guys this has been going on for over a week !!!!

antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov...

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join