It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Controversy Exploding Over Congressman Jefferson Raid

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2006 @ 09:33 PM
link   
This past Saturday night, Congressmen William Jefferson (D-LA) office was raided by the FBI in an ongoing investigation which evidence shows that Jefferson took 100,000 dollars at least in bribes. When Jefferson refused to comply with a subpoena, the FBI raided the congressmans offices. This was done under a legal warrent signed by a judge, and video tape footage showing Jefferson taking the bribes was enough to get them there. Now democrats and republicans alike are in an outcry to the FBI to return the seized files. They are saying the papers were unconstitutionally seized.

www.abcnews.go.com
WASHINGTON May 24, 2006 (AP)— In rare, election-year harmony, House Republican and Democratic leaders jointly demanded on Wednesday that the FBI return documents taken in a Capitol Hill raid that has quickly grown into a constitutional turf fight beyond party politics.

"The Justice Department must immediately return the papers it unconstitutionally seized," House Speaker Dennis Hastert, R-Ill., and Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., said in a statement.

The leaders also said the Justice Department should not look at the documents or give them to investigators in the Jefferson case.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It seems all the politicians are very unhappy about this. This is the first time a congress persons office has been raided by the FBI in 217 years. They are saying that the constitution was trampled on. Apparently they don't feel they should be under the same laws and police that most people are under. They apparently want to be considered seperate from the normal people who would have to deal with such a raid taking place if it were say at their home or local business. It was a legal warrent, with justifiable cause.

So my question is why is it such a big deal, and why should the documents seized be given back?

Related News Links:
www.cbsnews.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
FBI Catches Congressman Taking $100,000

[edit on 25-5-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 08:41 PM
link   
this is part of the series of news events surrounding this case. It should be big in the coming weeks. I would suggest watching how the congress reacts to this. It may show their true belief that they are above the law which we normal citizens must abide to.

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I do not believe this has anything to do with the seperation of powers, this is a blatent statement by Congress that they are above the law.

Of Course, that is just my opinion.

wupy

[edit on 25-5-2006 by mrwupy]

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 08:50 PM
link   
agreed. they are subject to the same laws that we as normal citizens are. this whole thing is a serious slap in the face to law enforcement. this entire congress and administration is out of control. americans need to take back the country and throw every one of these bums out on the street or into jail. start from scratch is my opinion.

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I did not respect Bush before this incident, but I have even less time for him now that he has sealed the seized documentation. Every politician in Washington is corrupt, starting right at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Do the crime - Do the time.
These people need to lead by example.
IF he is found guilty then welcome to the real world - Cell Block D, just like the rest of us.

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I think its quite the event. Republican and democratic politicians taking eachother sides. At the same time, the public, regardless of partisanship...all saying let the suckers burn and its time for justice. This is quite the event indeed. Something we all agree on...its time for politicians to live by the law.

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 09:26 PM
link   
The only thing that is left is the angry villagers with their torches and pitchforks to seal the deal.

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 09:30 PM
link   
They made these crappy Patriot Act laws up and placed them upon us..did they expect preferential treatment!?? This is ridiculous. I think they all have skeletons in their closets and now they are crapping bricks that the laws they helped to create will be the end to their means. I think we need to call Roto Rooter on the whole bunch.

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I just want to know--is there a reason why all of these political figures are being convicted and during this time more than most?

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 10:33 PM
link   
When we suddenly see all this new found brotherly love between parties
it must have something to do with why so many feel we have a rubber stamp congress.

My guess is that damn near every one of them is subject to blackmail if they step too far out of line.

If they have this bribe on film, this was a sting operation.

I imagine the documents that the FBI found can connect all kinds of people to
less than honorable behaviour.

I certainly hope this judge knows what he's doing.

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 10:46 PM
link   
I read on the Internet where President Bush has stepped in and ordered the documents sealed for 45 days. I disagree with that action. If the documents implicate others and/or point to other illegal deals then so be it. There is no reason to treat this man any differently than anyone else.

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 10:53 PM
link   
I find it even stranger that Mr. Bush would step in to save a Democrat. That is what set off warning bells to me. I guess there really is a "compasionate conservative".

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Maybe this time the FBI has connected the dots!

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Escrotumus
...this entire congress and administration is out of control...

Precisely... We have decayed from within.

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by ceci2006
I find it even stranger that Mr. Bush would step in to save a Democrat. That is what set off warning bells to me. I guess there really is a "compasionate conservative".

Not to pick on you ceci, but this is exactly what is wrong with the US (voting) public: they still believe that there is a difference between a Republican and a Democrat.

I have harped on this several times before, and continue to be frustrated that nobody seems to get it: the purpose of the political parties is to create an artificial division amongst the population and to convince each side of this divide that the other is to blame for everything.

Stop falling for this crap and WAKE UP!

As long as the American public continues to be manipulated into fighting amongst itself, we will never stand united against those that are attempting to take advantage of us all.

We have to stop seeing each other as a different party (or religion, race, sex or whatever) and start seeing that we are all in this together! If we can't do that, we're screwed!!

Politicians (without regard to their claimed party affiliation) are in an uproar about this because one of their own is being 'attacked'. They see themselves as one group, seperate from the general population...why are we so stupid that we can't see ourselves as one group just as they do?

I pray that just one person reads this and stops looking at what's different about us and starts seeing what's the same.

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 09:23 AM
link   
People get so side tracked worrying about matters of personal choice that they don't bother grilling
the candidates on important issues like voting reform, the removal of corruption from government,
ethics in general, and finding out who exactly is putting up most of the money to get this candidate
elected and why.

Year after year people seem to fall for the same old tricks and same old party line rhetoric.

This year we need to start asking hard questions of these candidates.

What is your position on removing corruption from our govenrment?
What is your position on illegal and under the table campaign contributions by corporations?
How can we vote with confidence?
Are you here to represent the voters or here to favor corporate interests?
What is your position on using "National Security" as a stamp to hide corruption?
What is your position on impeachment of criminals?

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Astronomer70
I read on the Internet where President Bush has stepped in and ordered the documents sealed for 45 days. I disagree with that action. If the documents implicate others and/or point to other illegal deals then so be it. There is no reason to treat this man any differently than anyone else.

I think the furore surrounds the executive branch violating the offices of the legislative branch. Never been done before this incident.

There is clearly a case against Jefferson so why the need to break a monumental taboo and raid a Congressman's office? The precedent has now been set and simply accusing a congressman of a crime will facilitate the raiding of their offices from now on. How is that healthy for the separation of powers? Will the precedent be reciprocated with Select Committees raiding the Oval Office at any hint of illegality in the White House? Some how I dont think so...

[edit on 30/5/06 by subz]

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 09:31 AM
link   
See it for what it is.

A game of high stakes chess.

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jaryn

Not to pick on you ceci, but this is exactly what is wrong with the US (voting) public: they still believe that there is a difference between a Republican and a Democrat.

I have harped on this several times before, and continue to be frustrated that nobody seems to get it: the purpose of the political parties is to create an artificial division amongst the population and to convince each side of this divide that the other is to blame for everything.

I get it. I've been saying the same thing all along. Its good cop, bad cop, that's all.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join