It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So when does the chit-chat start? Right now!

page: 109
<< 106  107  108    110  111  112 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by desert

hey desert :-)

Hello gang and fellow Noirians! (or, would that be fellow loungers?)

My state was for sure on fire desert - still smoldering here and there...but Denver was spared and we've had ourselves an extraordinarily comfy July

Thank you climate change - way to play favorites :-)

Sounds like things are good with you - or maybe even better than good? So nice to hear. So many lovely posts - I have much I'd like to say - but for now, how about this:

I spent a little time recently trying to smell the roses, listen to the songs of birds, embrace all of humanity, deny some ignorance and a bit of cynicism as well. It was totally worth the effort

You are so right, some marvelous changes happening in the world - that is for sure. We just have to put ourselves in a position to see them sometimes :-)

Also - I wish I could have been on that trip to Santa Barbara. I may be somewhat deity-free - but I do have a thing for beautiful souls - and strong, vibrant, deep thinking women (and men - of course)

Some new life in this place I see :-)

And new place-mats!

My cup runneth over - all over again

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Darth_Prime

hey Darth - nice to make your acquaintance

Sometimes it is a little quiet in here - I know how you feel - but we're not alone

Time and space have no meaning here at Lounge Noir... you'll get your sea legs in no time and be rushing the buffet to beat the crowd just like the rest of us

Jeeves never makes enough sushi or tacos

Also, I promise - nobody meant to harsh your mallow... I'm building a fire now

It was easier when we had the fireplace - but beggars can't be choosers

:-)

edit on 7/28/2013 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Spira, what happened to our fireplace? Where did it go? Inquiring Noirians want to know.

I like that name ... Noirians. It sounds sort of like what 1950's ufo contactees would call themselves.

Jeeves, I'm feeling generous tonight. Put everyone's food and drink on my tab for the next hour. That should be enough time to tell a story or two.

First a toast. Here's to strong, vibrant, deep thinking women everywhere. And to the men who love them. ... Haven't been here for awhile, but, by God, the sherry is still the best! ... anyway ... gotta start the story ...

The times and my parents raised some interesting women. My younger sister and I are the babyboomers of the five sisters. While school and family duties made for pretty much structured time, the two of us enjoyed countless hours of unstructured playtime, with the only adult intervention being if one or both of us ended up in tears.

Not having brothers, and having parents that just wanted us to have fun, we never knew that play activities, circa 1960, could be differentiated male or female. For example, wearing army surplus helmets and canteens, and brandishing air rifles, we would play "war" in our backyard. After once again being victorious on the battlefield, what would little women warriors do next? We would have a tea party in the play house and dress our dolls up for their naps.

One time we made a firetruck out of two sawhorses supporting long boards, complete with garden hoses rolled up like just like the real things. We wore rain coats, hats, and boots as we pretended to put out imaginary blazes. It was hot that summer, and we ended up squirting each other to cool off. After that, we would play inside the house, making sure Barbie was fashionably dressed for her date with Ken. Ken didn't have a lot of outfits, but Barbie had hangersfull, along with every shoe available.

Another time we climbed into our cardboard packing crate spaceship, complete with cut out portholes and dials meticulously drawn on the walls with crayon. Years before Neil Armstrong set foot on the moon, we rocketed out of the Earth's atmosphere to explore space. We exited our spaceship for Lunar and Martian adventures, walking on a lawn that was suddenly free of Earth's gravity. Once back home, America's first female astronauts headed to the kitchen to have fun helping Mom roll out dough or mix batter.

After the Santa Barbara visit, I saw the video, Pink Smoke Over the Vatican. I cried. Here were women who, like some men, heard "The Call" from God to become priests. One woman related how, as a young girl, she pretended to say Mass. For God's sake, while my sister and I were pretending profane experiences, this girl pretended a CALLING FROM GOD! Today, women can answer a call to be a soldier, a firefighter, an astronaut. But when God calls a woman to a sacred calling, she is denied this service, because she doesn't have a penis?! How dare anyone who says he believes in God try to silence God! I say, woe to those that try to silence God!

Well, here's to the women who finally became priests, and here's to the men, like Father Roy Bourgeois, who support them.

Well, my time is up, my tab is full, so I gotta vamoos. I gotta get back soon, though. Jeeves just put chocolate wine on the list.

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Coffee, Jeeves, and plenty of it. No, wait! Not too much, because I want to take a nap later in order to attend the Midnight Meteor Madness Party that MrD and I want to throw. We'll be the only attendees, because we only thought it up this morning and are shooting for ....haha, desert, that was very punny ....like "shooting stars" .... either staying up for or getting out of bed at midnight, something we won't guarantee. And we'ld hate to have guests arrive to a darkened residence, with us snoozing away, oblivious even to doorbell and loud knocks.

Spira, I want to congratulate you on your efforts of late having a good result. It is better to live that way, no? As far as the deism stuff goes, I find it very refreshing to live in an age where so many old ideas can "come out of the closet" to be just known or discussed. I think, at least for my parents' generation, many people sat in pews and thought, "I just can't believe this stuff!", but they were unable to talk about it.

Personally, I quit believing in God as a deity when I was seven years old, and I thought Heaven was the most boring place and Hell, well, just too hellish of a place, a place created out of sick human minds, what with devils pricking your tongue, as my Irish grandmother swore would happen to me if I ended up there. But over the years, I tried to come up with a name for what I believe, and after exploring what others said, such as Great Spirit, the Divine, One, etc., I just settled back to "God", as either there was no name or any name would fit, and "God" was what I grew up with. Also, I am not the type of person to rename a pet that already has a name from a previous owner.

I do not view "God" as Zeus/Apollo +1. To me, "God" is a Great Yeasty Bread Dough, and We are all Bits from this Dough. There truly is a Oneness in the Universe. Heck, nowadays anyway we should all be struggling with the concept of universe more than Oneness! We should all be able to see "God" in others and ourselves. Jesus wanted us to do that, as well as Love others (even enemies) and ourselves. And if we do not Live that Love, if we do not Live as we should, then it is harder for us to see God in others and for others to see God in us.

What I found also appalling about pushing the disconnect button on God's Call to those Women Priests (besides being so rude as to intervene in that personal Call in that manner), was denying what the world needs most, more people to help us all have a relationship with the Divine, in ourselves and others.

Speaking of yeast, MrD found me a hobby for my retirement, one he knew I would enjoy and harvest the benefit. Desert makes wine! And another reason to be alive now ... screw on bottle caps, no hassle with corks! Yes, my downstairs closet now has the aroma of a Napa wine cave! I check how my yeast are doing twice daily . Boy, they sure get active, enjoying all that sugar and making alcohol as a by product. We've already bottled six bottles, which are aging still. I have a feeling the wines' legs will be crawling up and over the wine glass.

Jeeves, thanks for the coffee. I'll take some to go. For later on today, when I need to stay awake.

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by desert

The fireplace... I shoulda known you were going to ask :-)

Well - you must have noticed by now the still is missing - and there's a bit of a draft? Let's just call it a structural engineering mishap and leave it at that. Location is everything - apparently

(I almost think that might be some deja-vu-ness right there - but I'm too lazy to figure it out for sure)

Greetings Desert - from Planet Noir

First a toast. Here's to strong, vibrant, deep thinking women everywhere. And to the men who love them. ... Haven't been here for awhile, but, by God, the sherry is still the best! ... anyway ... gotta start the story ...

A wonderful toast - and the sherry is fine. Here's one more: to the vivid imaginations of our youth - and the stories we got to keep

I love your stories - really got me thinking. I was a spy (a la Ms. Emma Peel), a general, a mermaid and an Indian chief...I had horses that could talk, dinosaurs, elephants, tigers...and if I remember correctly, a giant pet eagle that took me for rides in a starry sky - my thanks to Mr. Tolkien

I had a space ship my own self desert - and it was magnificent. Mr. Bradbury had me dreaming of ships that sailed the deserts of Mars...I just needed to get myself to Mars is all :-)

I built many, many forts and put an awful lot of time into designing the perfect tent out of blankets and sheets of plastic - I would almost live in those tents all summer long

Like you, I was left alone pretty much - as long as I wasn't crying - or bleeding :-)

Or it wasn't time for dinner

Today, women can answer a call to be a soldier, a firefighter, an astronaut. But when God calls a woman to a sacred calling, she is denied this service, because she doesn't have a penis?!

I may not know much desert - but I'm fairly certain the penis is not a spiritual antenna. If the universe is speaking, it's speaking to us all

I also believe the times are changing - and that you will get your wish

Chocolate wine...it sounds so right - how could it be wrong? It has to be better than chocolate gin - I might have to let that idea go
edit on 8/11/2013 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spiramirabilis

but I'm fairly certain the penis is not a spiritual antenna.

Every once in a while you come across some real profundities on ATS.

and hey Desert, have you tried those Monster coffee flavored energy drinks? Whoa!!!

edit on 11-8-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by desert

But over the years, I tried to come up with a name for what I believe, and after exploring what others said, such as Great Spirit, the Divine, One, etc., I just settled back to "God", as either there was no name or any name would fit, and "God" was what I grew up with. Also, I am not the type of person to rename a pet that already has a name from a previous owner.

That's just about perfect - no...perfect

Unless the name is so wrong it has to go. True story - my sister just got a kitten named Cindy. Turned out to be a boy Cindy, which had undergone a procedure to remove her (his) lady parts - which of course didn't exist

Poor dear

In any case - a God by any other name would still smell as sweet I figure

We are stardust.
Billion year old carbon.
We are golden..
Caught in the devil's bargain
And we've got to get ourselves back to the garden.

Yes desert - my efforts worked out fine, but I'm pretty sure it's an exercise I'll have to repeat every so often. We get to a place sometimes where we realize we have a choice - rejoice or despair

It's an easy choice - but only if we can see it is a choice

night my friend - I hope you have your two person star party after all

and I do so wish I could try your wine - what a lot of fun that would be - and what a wonderful creative project for you

edit on 8/11/2013 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

Hola compadre - nice to see you here

go easy with those monsters - they made me forget how to sleep

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Good morning, all! Five ....five meteors I saw. One fireballish one and the rest thin streakers ...haha last time I saw a thin streaker was in college ... and desert hits a new low in humor ... now Spira OTOH ..."I'm fairly certain the penis is not a spiritual antenna" ...OMG, OMG, that's hilarious! ...desert falls off barstool and RAOFLHAO ... I think I'll have that printed at the bottom of my Bethlehem-themed Christmas cards , "Just a reminder: a penis is not a spiritual antenna."

olaru!! Good to see you! I think I'll pass, thank you, on those monsters. ...And now that you're here, I think it's finally time to tell you all what I retired from. Those monster drinks reminded me. But, first, a guessing game. Prize is ... is...a buffet on Taco Night to be put on my tab ... ok, let's start ...

desert retired from 30 years as a :
1. solar architect
2. accountant
3. high school math teacher
4. seamstress for the band
5. one of the above

ok, now that your answers have all been recorded .. is it #1? No. That was the woman who designed the mountain home in the Sierras that my ex ended up with in the divorce, after he spat out over the phone, "And, besides, you wouldn't want me as a partner in the cabin!!", and I thought, "Hmmm. no, I wouldn't."

is it ...#2 ? No. desert abhors paperwork, but to be honest, desert, like nature, also abhors a vacuum, hence the space around her is always filled with objects, which she tries to abide by the rule of an odd number of objects displayed, and because she is also a visual filer, she would have no clients, as her office would look like the aftermath of an F3 tornado, turning off potential revenue as people assume she could never find their paperwork but they don't know that, unlike tidy people, she could, yes she could, find a needle in a haystack, a trait of visual filers, yay!.

how about #3 ? hahahahahaha ...you'ld have to be nuts to want to teach math to teenagers ...hahahahahaha

is it #4 ? Oops, sorry, that would be a fantasy job. ...we all have them, right? Doesn't everybody have a fantasy job? Si o no? Oh, come on, who doesn't dream of being a president, royal, or premier? ...Anyone?

ok, just check #5 and you're all correct and you can all enjoy a Taco Night buffet for free.

Well, the real answer was, yes, #3. Guilty as charged. That 30 year career was the conjunction of loving mathematics and ending up loving teaching math and working with teenagers. Yep, nuts. Guilty as charged. lol Actually, teaching was the furthest thing in my mind when I graduated from college but became the closest thing in my heart. The how and when, those particulars about that conjunction, I can leave for another time.

For now, I'll just say that retirement at this time was something I thought would never happen. I was not alone in leaving this career last year; on my campus alone 10 others left with me. The bug was put in my ear last Fall, when a colleague, for whom I have greatest respect, looked at me straight in the eyes and said, "Why are you still here?", after we were both commiserating about the unusual school year so far. I had just told him that I had no bills other than utilities, my condo was payed off, and that I could conceivably live with the retirement amount I would receive at this point (putting in a few more years would put me at the max). I thought, "He's right!" It took me 40 minutes of signing retirement papers at an appointment with a district retirement person, and my Life would be set on a new course.

Four years ago, I was putting on five shows (believe me when I say teachers, unlike when I had them in high school 40+ years ago, no longer sit at their desk in front of rows of students) for 140 students a day, then for the last three years, we all had to put on six shows a day for 160+ students (my total was 190 then last year 240).

The school I worked at all those years was considered the "inner city" school in my town. It was the oldest, with old classrooms and lower socio-economic level. Being the smaller size town here, however, I taught every socio-econ level, from children of wealthy farmers and professionals to children of farm workers and welfare families (admittedly the majority). Although I started out teaching the upper level math classes, I gravitated to the challenge of explaining math to those students whom, admittedly, most teachers would prefer not to teach.

A good friend one year exasperatingly asked me why I wasn't teaching calculus. I told her that those upper students already had good teachers, and, besides, to the students I taught, fractions were abstract! The joy of understanding math was the same, whether it was finally understanding calculus or fractions. So, as a teacher, it was that joy on a student's face that mattered, not necessarily the topic. I will admit that teaching those top students was akin to riding a Thoroughbred, whereas what I was doing was more like driving a stagecoach, managing a team of horses. Yeehaw!

TBC

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   
...and now to finish the post ... during last school year I came to realize that I was probably only one of a handful of teachers on campus that was not on some kind of medication for symptoms of stress. Blood pressure pills, pills to help sleep at night, pills to help function during the day. And in saying my personal goodbyes to colleagues, I found out that several had ground their teeth in their sleep and suffered broken molars as a consequence. I had, a few years ago, decided that to survive, I had to change what I was doing at work. No more volunteering to advise clubs, engage in outside activities, or sign on to committees. I "only" taught. Or as one administrator years ago told a colleague, "You're JUST teaching!"

That colleague I told you about above who told me, in effect, get out now, he himself had been told by his doctor that he had a choice, either retire or die. That man had seen his father teach way past 65 and so felt badly that he couldn't do the same. But then he even admitted that the student population his dad worked with and the demands made on his father were a world of difference than today. Short story, he retired, too, happy to save his health.

I think that what finally nudged me to sign those papers that would end my career, was seeing the test scores of the district's magnet public charter school. Right out of the gate, those students' scores were above the score my school's students had been "chasing" for 13 years. When you open up a school that only takes in students who volunteer to go there AND have the aptitude and drive to take courses for math, technology and engineering, and if they do not exhibit that aptitude or drive then they are returned to my school, then you've automatically rigged the system. As a teacher in that regular high school, I and my school would be labeled as "failing" over our more modest scores, even though we do have students who leave us for universities and high paying technical careers. I could no longer participate in that rigged system.

Oh, something else that was lower on my list of why I should leave teaching at this time. I loved working with that age group (which BTW meant anywhere from 13 to 21... I can explain that one another time). It was not easy, but totally personally rewarding. OTOH, which brings this around to those monster drinks, last Spring I looked out at all the students I worked with who thought that a monster drink and a bag of Cheetos was breakfast, that I thought, naw, I'll let the next generation of educators teach them. For some, the drinks made their minds wander, then others self-medicated with those monsters, helping them to focus, but as with any chemical/drug sometimes they would over medicate and be just as wired and unable to focus.

Well, that's my story. I knew I could always enjoy logging in here, a place to get away from work for awhile, which is why I never told anyone what I did. MrD and I will be back out to the Mojave in another month. This year we should be mostly solar and be able to stay a month or more.

Oh, and today, if I hadn't retired, would have been the first day back for students. So, Jeeves, to celebrate, I think I'll have a Mimosa on the veranda. Use blood orange juice with a twist of Campari.

Ciao e buona giornata!

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by desert

I saw no meteors - and no UFOs. Apparently the skies over Denver were crawling with UFOs that night - but not for me. Alas. I did see about 14 stars though. Unless light pollution counts as a star - then I saw 15

I've read your latest posts several times now desert - I love your stories, your adventures, your perspective - your sense of humor

I guessed #3 :-) But, it was more than just a hunch - you've left some clues here and there

Reading through it all, I was left with a feeling of wistfulness and regret. Not for you - I'm not sure for what exactly - maybe an opportunity missed? Things are so different now - the things we took for granted once seem so impossibly simple, and beautiful - and they've been replaced by something that doesn't feel quite right

And, I'm not even a teacher

I'm sure I'm just babbling...

Anyhow, something tells me you're one hell of a teacher - and you will be missed

Though - I'm sure you'll still be teaching - one way or another

Another toast (and seriously - Campari is a fav):

Bona Fortuna Desert! To happy trails and new adventures...and all those things out there waiting for you to discover them

Life is like that - always something new

Hopefully, now that you're a civilian, we'll meet at Lounge Noir more often

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by desert

and about option # 4...would that be for the band - as in a band?

or, for The Band?

just wondering

(one seems a little more dream-jobby than the other)

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Oh boy, flavored popcorn! I wonder if Campari poured over popcorn is good?

Thank you, Spira, for the kind words and wishes. I always enjoy your wisdom and humor. Yes, definitely more time here to be spent. ...hmmmm, why did I just sound like Yoda? .... anyway...

I've been through Denver a couple times years ago. The Rocky Mountains are awesome. Saw my first live moose there. Heard my first LOUD clap of thunder east of Denver when we stopped for the night at an RV park. Sure got me ready for the weather as we headed eastward. Do you have a Best Thing About Denver? Probably could name a few Bests.

I also thought this would be a good year to cash in my chips, because, unlike most years, I had no Evil Psycho students. Oh, I had psycho students, but they were nice psycho students. All my students last year were nice people. Even my Senior psycho Maria.

One never knew how Maria would enter the room that day. Sometimes her fellow students would warn me, "MrsD, Maria's mad today." Then Maria would walk in, every other word out of her mouth, F This and F That; on her bad bad days, she would kick a desk like a mule when she walked by. But on her normal bad days, she would go straight to her corner desk and proceed to work on her assignment but continuing to lowly say F This and F That.

Most of the time Maria wouldn't want to discuss her life, but sometimes she would let me in. One day of her working in the corner mumbling her F's, I strode up to her and asked what's the matter. She looked up at me and said, "MrsD, oooooh, they're F'in bitches!" "Who, Maria?" "Those two old bitches at work. [by "old" she meant in their 20s ] They say things to me and tell my boss things about me that aren't true ... and they're lazy!" If anything Maria couldn't stand was someone who couldn't do a job well.

"Have you told your boss?" "No." "Well, my advice for you is to tell your boss in private today just what you told me." "I can't do that." "Well, ok, but I think that's what you really need to do."

On her next good day, I sidled up to her desk and asked how work was. "Good, MrsD. I told my boss. Those bitches don't bother me anymore ..and they work now." "Good for you, Maria!"

Yes, impossibly simple and beautiful, like the ocean looks like once you've landed your boat after rough seas .
When I was young, I used to think that one should cash in their chips at the age of 50, but I found out that, like my wine, aging was a good thing. And, here's another something I haven't shared ... I just recently turned 60. (I will share another time about that day.) Now, a lot more stuff currently seems simple and beautiful. Yay!

Ok, gotta run. Company coming over. Serving homemade crumpets with ginger preserves. Our friend is bringing homemade butter. Oh, yeah, we're going to have those blood orange mimosas with a dash of Campari.

olaru, can you U2U me some of your homemade pozole?
edit on 15-8-2013 by desert because: fix sentence

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by desert

We got thunder - yes, we do. The kind that feels like it starts inside your bones. It's one of my favorite things. As for the Best Thing About Denver...?

I joke - often enough - that there is no good reason to come to Denver. I joked out loud about this once on a flight heading back home to Denver - I got some nasty looks - but no arguments

That is the Best Thing about Denver :-)

People come to Denver to get to the mountains - maybe for business, or to visit family - we have a decent convention center - and of course, the Stock Show - but the best thing about Denver is: not too big, not too small - not too interesting, not too dull. No real reason to come here. Denver is for living in - and for that it's just about perfect

Of course - the powers that be have that rockin' city under DIA - but that's a whole other thing - and not for us peasants

One never knew how Maria would enter the room that day. Sometimes her fellow students would warn me, "MrsD, Maria's mad today." Then Maria would walk in, every other word out of her mouth, F This and F That; on her bad bad days, she would kick a desk like a mule when she walked by. But on her normal bad days, she would go straight to her corner desk and proceed to work on her assignment but continuing to lowly say F This and F That.

Some people really know how to take a few choice words and make them sing - don't they?

My dad couldn't speak if he couldn't use - certain words. He went easy on the F word when we were kids, but expanded his elaborate and colorful vocabulary once we were older - I swear (ha) you really don't hear it after a point - but you sure do miss the melody and rhythm of it all when it's gone

I love language :-)

The Marias of the world just need someone to hear them I think - not everyone can look past the language to hear what they're saying. It's good that there are a few people around that get that

"Good for you, Maria!"
Definitely - and good for you Mrs. D

Happy belated birthday Ms. Desert - hope it was a very good day :-)

And I hope your party was lovely (I wouldn't mind your recipe for ginger preserves - if it's not a secret recipe)

Hot here today - thunder tomorrow...

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Is that Spira walking about the grounds? Jeeves, does she have our new Lounge Noir ap, so she can signal you when she needs a sherry refill? With all that walking, bring her a sandwich, too. Yes, put it on my tab.

Jeeves, have any of our regulars here used the new ap? How nice to be able to U2U tacos and beer on Taco Night. And, BTW I'm just curious, who returned the beef stroganoff on Stroganoff Night, because it wasn't vegetarian? Our inbox got a little messy. Patrons, please repackage your returns carefully.

Ok, desert tells another story from her past. ...haha olaru, I'll retell that one later ...

As much as I saw certain flaws with No Child Left Behind, I knew I needed to help the students learn to get as many points as they could on the tests. No second in the classroom could be wasted (it was all instructional time), so my students had to be on time ready to work. Plus, being on time is a good thing in general (dates, appointments, etc.), so practicing it for my class was important.

One day about 10 years ago, as I was returning to my classroom at the end of lunch, Daniel went racing past me. I turned around and said loudly enough for him to hear and to make a point, "Daniel! This way! You need to turn around and get to class on time!". Daniel turned around, his face sweaty from running and his eyes wide with the fearful, pleading look of a man on an extremely important mission being stopped by an authority who had the authority to stop him but who did not understand just how extremely important that mission was and could he please get on his way.

He held up a snack size bag of chips in a tight grip, and his words quickly tumbled out. "But, MrsD, you know that girl in that special class who can't talk and uses the walker?? She dropped her bag of chips and they spilled all over the ground, so I went back to go buy her some more. Can I take these to her??"

Take abut five feet off my height, and that's how big I felt. "Yes, Daniel! Sure! No problem!" And off that gallant knight ran. As I walked back to my room, this very important thought occurred to me: "Why the F don't we get points from the state for what Daniel just did? Isn't what he just did just as important to society as his giving me points on a test?" And, trust me, even Daniel knew he couldn't help out much on getting points, no matter how hard he tried, and he did try. I was pissed. We would be labeled a failing school with students like Daniel, but we were not failing if we had students like him!

Oops! Sorry, Jeeves. I didn't say I wanted bitters in my lemonade. I just sounded bitter. Sigh... well, the only good thing about retiring now is that I cannot end up a tired, old, bitter teacher. Nope, I won't contribute to another generation of politicians disparaging teachers, like the legislator I talked to who told me his low opinion of teachers and how he got picked on in school and hated high school. He then later on got caught in a gay lifestyle scandal and had to admit some truths in public about himself. Yes, the Lord works in mysterious ways. haha ... ok, a more upbeat story next time. A story about what didn't happen.

Oh, before I go, I just want to post this notice that our resident camel has a clean bill of health, in case anyone was worried about that MERS virus.

Now, I think I'll go for a swim. Jeeves, I'll be ordering from our ap. Saves you a few steps rather than coming over to the pool to ask. Life is good.
edit on 26-8-2013 by desert because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Spiramirabilis

Hey gurl, pleased to meet you likewise!

who is performing tonight?

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Darth_Prime

Hey!

Well - Olaru promised us a night of Frankie Valli covers on his slide guitar - but he's been a might scarce here lately

So, it's anybody's guess

We sure could use a show though - and that is the truth

Do you sing Darth?

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by desert

Life is good.

Life is good desert - very good

Kids really should get gold stars for being compassionate human beings

But, I'm afraid these days, this is the sort of thing that wins us all the really big points - if we survive long enough to claim our reward:
Death of an Intern

Why is it that working long hours is deemed as such a positive thing? Why is it not seen as inefficiency? Is this an ingrained Protestant work ethic that seems to mean the harder we work, the more moral we are? Or does it serve as a disguise? To me, it's not about working hard, it's about working long hours. That's actually not the same thing.

This is what kids are being trained for here in the states - I've seen it myself in a few of the places I've worked. There's a difference between discipline, motivation, hard hard work - and this. When and where did things get so out of whack?

And, you are not at all bitter desert - amazingly. You will continue lighting up the minds and hearts of many, many more people - I'm pretty sure about that

So, about balance - the pursuit of happiness - and life being good...here's a favorite song

A little bird told me I was about to lose my beloved profile wall - so I stuck around to do what? Why - copy all 800 plus posts of it of course

I'm so weird

Anyhow, now walking about for real. See you kids later on - have yourselves a perfect September

edit on 9/3/2013 by Spiramirabilis because: shining stars

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Just so you know and you know who you are. It's an honor to share cyber space with two of the most beautiful, talented souls ever to sail the interwebs. I Love you both!!

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Spiramirabilis

I can werk it out gurl!

lets get this place filled!

top topics

<< 106  107  108    110  111  112 >>

join