It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nano Armor

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 04:31 PM
link   
To the people who don't know what that cloud is around the B-2A is, well the answer is in the link provided, if you read carefully it mentions "conden" in the link, which in my opinion would spell out to Condensation.

Condensation, a very common phenomena that tends lead unsuspecting publics to believe advanced anti-gravity technology and an aircraft breaking the sound barrier.

The B-2A is a very advanced piece of hardware, yes it does have inertial dampeners, but no Anti-gravity, and it certainly is not capable of breaking the sound barrier. It's not built for it.

So to answer the question directly, the cloud is merely moisture forming in the form of condensation over the airfoil. Just a visible representation of the simple dynamics of flight.

I hope this clears up some mysteries as to what it is.

Shattered OUT...

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by texmiller
I already referanced this in my above post. Read the website it will answer your question on shock to the body.

I did read the website.. Just because a material is shock absorbant doesn't mean you won't get blunt force trauma. If you get shot wearing this vest, or any vest.. The vest will push back against your body... because its "shock absorbant" instead of a small area pushing against you (like the bruises and fractures you get from getting shot wearing kevlar).. The entire vest will push back against you, effectively squashing your body into the vest. It'd throw you on your ass and then some.

The way they measure this is to put the armor on a clay model dummy. Then they shoot the vest and measure the indentations the vest created in the clay. By measuring depth of impact they can gauge the pressures exerted on the body as the person gets shot. Nothing you will ever do, short of a force field, will change this. It doesnt matter how shock absorbant the suit is. The only way to negate the effects of blunt force trauma with armor is to deflect the shell at the same force it hit with. Or create a "cushion" layer which is squashed absorbing some of the impact. Something that thin, i dont care what it's made out of, will not have enough "cushion" power to negate this effect to any considerable amount.

I would like to see this test done with this suit. Simply because the armor can withstand 1.5km/s projectiles does not mean that it won't kill the person wearing it. Heh, at 1.5km/s you'd probably get thrown 500'.

Or am i missing something? This is an excellent advance in this field though. Adding a layer of cushion on the backside of the armor (kevlar?) would probably negate a portion of this. But i think you would still find fractures and bruising. I'm not however saying that i would prefer a bullet hole over a broken bone.

[edit on 10-5-2006 by tsensel]

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Does the picture answer your question?

[edit on 10-5-2006 by WyrdeOne]

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 07:13 PM
link   
From what I could tell the picture below is NOT the new nano armor as some people thought from what I could gather by their comments about how it looks like a superhero costume or roman.

This is from the site rate below the pic:
llustration photo - medieval armor.
The discovery of the extraordinary wave-shock absorption quality of the IF materials, position it as one of the best candidates for future protective gear and armor.

It probably looks roman or medieval because it is

[edit on 10-5-2006 by warpboost]

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Warp, that's just a possible representation of the Nano-tech Casted in the form of Medieval Armor. Possibly for appeal.

But I don't know about you, no Medieval or Roman armor looks like that wit the tone it has.

Sure it resembles medieval armor, but did you stop to think maybe they casted it to look like medieval armor?

And armor that is molded in the form of the body would be good, takes up less external space increasing mobility from the shoulders and arms, might limit bending mobility, but how many soldiers bend over to kiss their own arse before they get shot?

Shattered OUT...

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Plate mail was actually a LOT more flexible than people realize. A lot of people have the old "Once your on your back you're SOL" impression of it, and that just isn't the case. I've seen people climb fences in it, do a tuck and roll and spring right back to their feet in it, full plate now. So an armor like the one in the picture would give AT LEAST as much flexibility as current kevlar does, if not more, and could be worn closer to the body than most kevlar is.

posted on May, 11 2006 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Like I said, after about a decade of this armor being in use, laser weapons will become studied for development to counter the armies who are equipped with that. After a century or so of laser weapons and the different armors that are vulnerable to it, we will then have forcefields. Then we will engineer our brains to simply stop and disable people at any distance until one person becomes so powerful he destroys all of humanity and lives to be a super immortal diety!!!

Sorry I got carried away.

posted on May, 11 2006 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Read the site more carefully. It's only five times stronger than steel. That's not very competitve with other synthetics.

This composite is 12 times stronger than steel:

byunews.byu.edu.../jun/pyramatr

The carbon nanofibre here could be 100 times stronger than steel.

www.impactlab.com...

And they keep taking about armor...

posted on May, 11 2006 @ 03:23 PM
link   
So? Tungest Carbide is several times stronger than steel, does that mean it's the perfect armor solution? No.

It doesn't matter how much stronger something is than steel, it only matters if that material can used to mold into armor and be as lightweight and as strong as required for soldiers.

What? Most if not almost all body armor out there is weaker than steel? But what principle does body armor work on? The reinforcing of several fibers so that the momentum of the bullet that comes in contact with the surface of the armor is spread over a large area and thus the bullet doesn't penetrate. Like a net.

Besides I think that if you can mold something several times stronger than steel into flexible body armor, than good for you. No need to use a net like structure.

Shattered OUT...

posted on May, 11 2006 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I contacted them about investing in the development into this armor and they gave me a message back. I let them know the maximum I could invest (2000$), after all I just put $4500 into gold bullion. Perhaps I would be better off investing in the company that is signing contracts with NASa, DOE and the Federal highay administration and the National Science Foundation that Wembley posted.

posted on May, 11 2006 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by DYepes
I contacted them about investing in the development into this armor and they gave me a message back. I let them know the maximum I could invest (2000$), after all I just put $4500 into gold bullion. Perhaps I would be better off investing in the company that is signing contracts with NASa, DOE and the Federal highay administration and the National Science Foundation that Wembley posted.

If you only want to invest 2K I wouldnt put it in some unproven startup co. with an unproven product. It could be the best armor ever, but the company and more importantly its investors might not make any money.

What is the name of the company that is signing contracts with NASA, DOE, NSF and FHA? if you dont want to post it or cant please U2U it to me. thanks

posted on May, 11 2006 @ 11:45 PM
link   
ere is the url as posted by Wmebley a couple of replies above. byunews.byu.edu.../jun/pyramatr

They are going to be suppliyng the supports for new wind turbines and will actually make ti as affordable as diry non-renewable coal for the first time.

Now thats sounds like a sound investment to me.

posted on May, 12 2006 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Want a sound investment? Invest in microsoft stock.

And, how exactly would the materials Wmbley posted be used as body armor?

Shattered OUT...

posted on May, 12 2006 @ 09:23 AM
link   
That was just a random example of a material quoted as being "x times stronger than steel," illustrating that of itself the claim doesn't mean it would make fab body armor.

Kevlar is also 5x stornger than steel, and is being succeeded by other materials -
"Spectra ® 900 is the original extended-chain ultra-high molecular weight polyethylene fiber was introduced by Honeywell’s Spectra ® Performance Materials in 1985. Common to all Spectra ® fibers, with a high strength-to-weight ration, Spectra ® 900 is pound for pound 8 times stronger than steel. "

www.hexcel.com...

But the future of body armor, IMO, lies in another direction entirely.

posted on May, 12 2006 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Actually we never mentioned for it t be used as body armor. I merely suggested it sounds like a better investment for profit.

posted on May, 12 2006 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Since the discussion was on Body Armor, I automattically assumed those materials were brought into the conversation to be used as Body Armor.

Besides, I'm not too big a fan of Nano armor anyways. I'll stick to dragon scale.

Shattered OUT...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join