It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ignorant people ruining this site

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 12:10 PM
link   
It's hard to maintain a consistent tone to any forum without it becoming stale, I guess. After a while, things get hashed and rehashed so many times it becomes a huge pile of mush. Veteran members of the group have a hard time giving up their forum habit, and still hope for the same kind of excitement they felt when they first caught a glimpse of an alternate reality. Newer members can't help but dredge up ancient, antedeluvian topics, stale as mummy farts.

Such is the evolution of a forum.

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by they see ALL
i like these words ezekiel...

i hope you come to peace with this thread and the great replies you got here...

Thanks TheySeeAll!

I do feel much better after discussing some of my gripes with the members here. The responses from the members and the moderators have gone a long way in reaffirming my faith in the general population of ATSers.

Guess I just needed to get it off my chest. (one gripe since 2002 isnt bad
)

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I don't mean to pick on you individually. I just see so much drama in the Board Business forum at times. I just try to enjoy this place and ignore the down in the dumps types.

Hey! I wish my car had surround sound and 18" chrome wheels and satallite radio, but I choose to enjoy what I have. I could spend my time griping about it, but you know it is a much better use of my time to just enjoy what I have. Not saying that you complaint all the time, but it seems that there's always someone wishing things could be different around here. The best way to improve the site is to contribute quality content and I love how someone put it that we came here to deny our own ignorance. That's a very insightful comment.

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by savannah
I don't mean to pick on you individually. I just see so much drama in the Board Business forum at times. I just try to enjoy this place and ignore the down in the dumps types.

Thats certainly a good attitude to have
Sorry to have to post my gripes - just been building up for so long that I had to get it off my chest.

The best way to improve the site is to contribute quality content and I love how someone put it that we came here to deny our own ignorance. That's a very insightful comment.

Again, certainly a good attitude and as you can see by my sig its one that I have adopted myself

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Nothing wrong with Satanist so please don't compare us to those sneay free-masons that are cropping up all over the place spreading their creepy agenda, IMO they are about just as bad as those scientology types.

I considder my self a Satanist of sorts, I'd rather sin and feel good about it then beg for mercy to go to a heaven, IMO this Christian god doesn't sound like such a good guy anyway.

Most Satanist really are just agressively Atheist, they don't want to be converted to Christian since they don't want it so they say they are Satanist, I believe Satan is actually the Sumerian god Enki that has been around for a much longer time that christianity and Ea (god,Yaweh) is his brother (brothers generally are rivals).

just to be clear, I do not kill, rape or steal, I am a law-obiding citizen that enjoys my freedoms and hates the NWO types that wants to put us in a police state, I believe aliens are visiting us for the reasons of studying a primitive race and all those are my believes, I come to this site because my views are valued here, not everything is potentionally true (since we can't honestly know) but I am not knowingly spreading false statements, alot of the conspiracy theory is conjecture while others are more firmly based on hard evidence.

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrPenny
I understand the concept of attacking the idea or concept, but honestly, some posters are intentionally baiting other posters. You can't deny that. For instance; www.abovetopsecret.com...

I agree that the post in your example does beg for at least warn for one-liner, if not more. But as you might already know, the MODs can't see everything and be everywhere all the time, so your best option is to use the "Suggestion" button in the navigation bar and let them know what's brewing.

And I won't use the ignore button...as far as I'm concerned it's like looking at the world through rose-tinted glasses.

I would agree if you could apply blanket ignores or rate posts/posters by some criteria and so forth, but now when you actually need to see someone acting in a stupid fashion or being abusive - you know what's happening and you're only protecting yourself from seeing that particular person in the future.
(By rating I'm thinking something Slashdot-esque, ie. you'd have a thread which would be culled by certain criteria and you'd have a link stating how many replies are not shown because they're beneath your current treshold, or in the extreme, you wouldn't even get a notice.)

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrsdudara
Well, Aelita, can you prove they are wrong?

Yea, it sounds silly and way far out there, but unless you can prove with out a doubt that they are wrong, then it is good and up for discussion. Thats the beauty of this site. It forces you to educate yourself on topics most will never cover in school or anywhere else.

Well, I think the burden of proof should be on the person who's making the claim (about being in contact with aliens inhabiting the inner part of hollow Earth). If you mean that I have to prove that the Earth is not hollow, I would say why should anyone assume it is.

You see, I could (in principle) make up a story about a UFO encounter and make it convincing. Heck, I can make a dosen of these. When I publish this material on this board, what does happen? Answer: the board is turned into a landfill. And of course I'll have the nerve to ask you for a 100% proof that I made it up. 99% just won't do.

Same applies to the wonderful devices for splitting water into H2 and O2 at zero cost and using those for fuel. You could always say it only works at the right frequency that is hard to get, and is absolutely real.

I believe I learnt the most on this board in the areas of inernational policy, history and weapons systems.

Thanks to the people who are running this forum!

[edit on 9-5-2006 by Aelita]

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I take this board as entertainment.

Everytime I try to be serious, it seems someone takes a over the top mean spirited dig and puts in a link from an extreme news source or web page and passes it off for fact. (my opinion)

We all come in with our values and beliefs. But when people take nuclear war or murderous acts and say it in a joking manner or that these people stole this land etc. and should be dead it makes me sad.

I see things thru my filter of my life, and I try to see things from someones other filter to be fair. But in my opinion a fair amount of people do not do this on hot topic subjects.

There are many very knowledgeable people on this site, but it seems the other spectrum has taken over.

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aelita
I agree that we should just get on with posting interesting stuff on here.

Since it seems like everybody in this thread is allowed one peeve to vent, let me quickly get over with mine: postings about how to split water into hydrogen and oxygen with little or no expense of electricity, thus creating an infinite source of free energy. I find it annoying.

Otherwise, a great board!

What?, you mean you can't do that? Damn, I just invested my entire life savings with a guy I met in a bar who said he could do exactly that.

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I agree that sometimes people post things that are ,at the least , bizzare and sometimes out right ridiculous! to me anyway. I'm sure that most people here aren't under the illusion that ATS is mainstream. That's the whole point ain't it? I can honestly say that i've always been of the type to think things like UFOs, the lochness monster, God, and the everlasting gobbstopper could, infact, be quite real. I personally don't have any proof of these phenomenon but I don't have any conclusive proff to the contrary. I actually find it ironic that someone posting on a .CONSPIRACY web site would rant this way.

"Hey guys, this guy's an idiot. That guy's an idiot... THEY'RE ALL IDIOTS!.. But let me tell you about how the Gov/Inc consortium has a cure for AIDS but is trying to kill off the low income population to setup for a landgrab."

The one thing I really appreciate about this forum is the opportunity to post ANYTHING I want and put it up for discussion. If my argument is garbage I'll get trashed. MAN, I've seen people argue that We are really just robots built by a technologically advanced civi that mastered the marriage of Mechanics, electronics, data storage, dynamic polymers and dirt. Links and pictures and everything! But people here will speak about something mainstream like religion and spout rhetoric and thou shalts and fortnoughts and damn me to HELLLLLLllllll......

If I don't agree, I don't agree. if I find a post worthy of my response, I'll post. if not I'll move to another. pretty simple.

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I agree whole heartedly on this particular topic. I joined ATS forums in late December of 2004 and have not posted as much as I want to in fear of ridicule, or to just avoid immature banter. I posted a serious topic a week ago about a strange noise that was occuring in my backyard, and had gotten a few nasty replies back for no apparent reason. I had not said anything derogatory towards anyone, I was simply just wondering what was making this strange noise in my backyard.

It's ignorant, self rightous, immature people that make this site unappealing to me. Then again, I realize that the world is full of them and people like this not only exist on forums. It's unfortunate. Sad part of the whole thing is you can't really do too much about it. Just grin and bear I suppose.

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 02:57 PM
link   
One thing I always love about the ATS ignorants are they are so EASY to humiliate verbally
. It always brings a smile to my face when they get trashed on an intellectual basis for being absent minded.

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 03:03 PM
link   
It always seems that when somebody posts a thread, there's always some ignorant, or should I say "Know-it-all" that has an answer for everything...."Oh, no, thats not it..." without having any evidence to support their claim.

You know exactly the kinds of people I'm talking about.
Alright. Thats enough ranting. I rest my case.

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by jeepin4x4girl
You know exactly the kinds of people I'm talking about.

Googlers!

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 03:28 PM
link   
One of the costs of being a popular site is that it is spammed with stupid "alien ate my dog" stories or inflammatory rhetoric. But I have to say that there are real gems between cow droppings. ATS is still a good site, preferrable over many others.

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Volatile
One thing I always love about the ATS ignorants are they are so EASY to humiliate verbally
. It always brings a smile to my face when they get trashed on an intellectual basis for being absent minded.

We are talking about a small portion of the members here, why stoop to their level? We are here to learn, challenge our own belief, prove or disprove them, allowing the small minded to lead us off track serves their purpose, not our own.

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Uncommon Cause

Originally posted by intrepid
We are here to learn, challenge our own belief, prove or disprove them, allowing the small minded to lead us off track serves their purpose, not our own.

Hey, speak for yourself!

I'm here to call people names, derail threads and just plain cause trouble.

Oh! And the drama.

Let us not forget the drama.

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 04:11 PM
link   
If a member is going to talk about ignorant members of the site that they don't like then why not name them? After all you have already indicated that you are smarter then they are so why not go the extra step and be done with it?

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Ignorant people aren't ruining this site. We are all ignorant about somethings, sometimes.

It's the arrogant people that are ruining this site. The lack of class and meanspiritedness of some users and Mods alike that like to show how articulate they are by shredding some poor ignorant kid or maybe a less educated person into cyber confetti; for no other reason than to make themselves feel "better than" somebody else.

Still ATS is the best there is!!

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
Ignorant people aren't ruining this site. We are all ignorant about somethings, sometimes.

It's the arrogant people that are ruining this site. The lack of class and meanspiritedness of some users and Mods alike that like to show how articulate they are by shredding some poor ignorant kid or maybe a less educated person into cyber confetti; for no other reason than to make themselves feel "better than" somebody else.

Still ATS is the best there is!!

A lot of truth to what you are saying and myself I have been guilty at times of what you say.

but those innocent kids also are cocky at times and hide behind their avatar like they know a lot more than they do.

I doubt that education matters much in many of these debates as a simple but logical and well thought out argument often beats pages and pages of facts and endlessly split hairs a lot of the time. I've seen it happen before so that should not deter anybody from entering into a debate.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join